Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Manuel Calavera posted:

One Big Happy, created by Rick Detorie and launced late in 1988. It's a bit more realistic family life, althought Detorie has started to show his aging boomer side, and tut-tutting "outlandish" looks and views. It was good, but it's started to slip by thread standards.
This seems unreasonably charitable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's definitely a style of its own and I always feel like someone's pasting heads from one comic into a very different one.

What genuinely irrititates me about it is how the timing of the dialogue doesn't go with that of the panels.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

Yeah. We joke about it because she's a spectacularly lovely person to her family in so many other ways, but the baby thing could legitimately happen to anyone. Honestly she deserves some kudos for recognizing that she had a problem and seeking help with it.
I think so too. But I still gain a lot of comedy mileage out of the fact that she continued writing strips where her kids are outside in the snow. It's like Tim Buckley making a hospital comic.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oh no our little Ruthie has picked up bad language from A Poor

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

The Phantom

...she can name-drop the freaking president of Bangalla instead.
Guard: you're not a US citizen, get out of the embassy
Me: if you insist, what a shame though, now you'll never get commended by... Donald Trump
Guard: (thinking) holy poo poo this guy knows who our president is why don't you take a seat, sir, I do apologize

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

At the very least it sometimes lands a funny joke, unlike loving Intelligent Life
Well, as long as we're kicking comics out

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EasyEW posted:

You ever see a sparrow smoking an unfiltered cigarette? Didn't think so. :colbert:
A sparrow, no, but I once saw a puffin

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Alley Oop

I hate to dump on a strip only two days in, but this doesn't seem very good

Also the mother of all cold opens. These are really the first two strips? Do they come right off a previous run where we actually, like, could have seen the time travel bit?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Huh, fair enough! I thought it was one of those strips that had been lying dormant for a while. Making 80 years of time travel into "it was just a dream" seems bold but new authors can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh hey it's modern Hagar's playbook

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Put me down as another one who likes Jamal and I'm not even seriously complaining about the art, it's just well-meaning ribbing, although you'd think he'd realize that giving the kid a stache in that Sunday strip just draws attention to it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah it's pretty bad. Jokes are without exception structured badly and wouldn't be very good if they weren't. I feel like I'm reading a ca. 2008 webcomic.

Tunicate posted:

Kids of a certain age like things that are gross or messy.
Nah it's 100% the artist who has the oozing fetish. Remember his annual bare-feet-in-the-mud strips that he thankfully seems to have stopped?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

We've all seen Fargo, this can hardly come as a surprise.

Kennel posted:

Surgeon's Tales

Old Greedy Bishop is my favourite 17th century rapper.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nevermind something needs to start happening, the jokes are ancient, flat and told stiffly.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Holbrook never thinks about the implications of anything. He literally has a thought and then draws it.
His stuff sucks but to be entirely fair, if I had to deliver three strips every day that's what I'd do.

like it's probably possible to be clever about your shared universe and craft a compelling narrative with consistent metaphors while also keeping a strict schedule but for every comics artist who could pull that off there's gotta be hundreds to whom it's just not given.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Samovar posted:

please red and rover me.
It's a row of classic black-and-white movies that receives the addition of the colorized version of another classic black-and-white movie. The obvious joke is that colorizing black-and-white movies and putting them on the same level as the authentic classics is the beginning of the end for them. However, the phrase "there goes the neighborhood" is commonly understood to stem from a context where "undesirables" move into an established real-life neighborhood, mostly rendered "undesirable" to the established inhabitants by way of their skin colour. As such, it invokes issues of racism at least subconsciously, which is perhaps an unfortunate parallel to draw to the area of movie colorization where the "establishment" is commonly seen as worth preserving unchanged and the "colored newcomers" as undesired; but maybe Amend, in a roundabout way, actually does want it to be read as "hey, colorizing the classics is okay, they're still the classics, no need to get all huffy about it."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

The Argyle Sweater

Hey Alley Oop I found the artifact from 1986

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Edge of Adventure is structured and written better than Alley Oop.

e: Oop is actually getting worse day to day. Like three times in a row the joke was

Panel 1: "We look for IMPORTANT THING"
Panel 2: "IMPORTANT THING?"
Panel 3: "It's actually MUNDANE THING"

Now we've reverse graduated to

"We look for MUNDANE THING"
"MUNDANE THING?"
"yes"

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 19, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

If Ed found the fountain of youth he’d complain about the taste.
PANEL 1
ED, in a SAFARI HELMET, enters the house. He's SWEATING and SMILING AT A FLASK
THOUGHT BUBBLE: I can't believe I found it. Water from the fountain of youth! I can be young again!

Panel 2
ED LOOKS on DUSTIN, CONTORTED and SNORING on the couch, and MEG, TEXTING

Panel 3
ED, looking RESIGNATED, is POURING the contents of the FLASK DOWN THE SINK

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

I need you to give me a reason to like you, Alley Reboop. You're obviously trying but...
Legit wondering what makes you say that what with the stumbling non-jokes. But maybe I've been harping on that enough for a while.

So how about we look at how lovely the art is, with everyone's arm proportions in particular completely out of any kind of human alignment even accounting for Alley Oop's cartoony style, Oop himself changing size and character model on a per-panel basis, and the clothes' main features like buckles and shoulder flaps being rendered awkwardly at best, which all isn't even going into the unevenly proportioned backgrounds.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Folks, let's try and calm down about Jamal.

I'm pretty sure there's no one here coming at this from a place of THAT COP WAS RIGHT. Some of you are worried about the day to day development, and rightly so, cause this is one hell of a swerve for the medium of daily syndicated comic strips, and the drama well executed. Some of you are more concerned with the political points it raises and whether it does that effectively, and again, rightly so, cause it's a hugely important issue and it would be a huge disappointment if an artist bungled it, considering the obvious sacrifices they have to make putting it out there in, again, the world of daily syndicated comic strips.

I'm sure no one who's giving expression to their worry and tension wants to ignore the finer political and storytelling points, and I'm equally sure no one who's more focused on that is accusing anyone of virtue signalling (if I can be so frank, that's also one hell of an accusation to throw around in the first place).

Personally I'm gonna suggest that the storytelling parts of the discussion could just as well wait until we're caught up. It's gonna take no time at all and you may find yourself thinking differently. I've been holding my tongue for days. But then what's been posted already certainly already is one hell of a discussion starter, if you're so inclined.

Bondia can be proud of himself, that much is certain.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

I see that's Freddie Mercury, and I'm thinking the girl is Cyndi Lauper, but who is Oop? Adam Ant maybe?
Yeah. I guess that's one thing I'm gonna give the strip some grudging credit for: picking some recognizable outfits and not just a generic 80s ensemble.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I remember an old MAD magazine feature where they'd draw detailed skeletons for comic strip characters using their design as the anatomical basis, and I would please like for someone to do that with a few modern Alley Oop strips and see how many individual ones they have to do.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wasn't overly enamored with Princess Planet at first, but the vampire walrus has won me over in a big way.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wasn't gonna say anything, but yeah, and I even always really wanted to read Corto Maltese :(

on the other hand, if you've got these organized in albums I'll happily read complete adventures some day or I can just select all your posts, your effort's not going to waste :shobon:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

Anyone else feel like something's off with the art in Dick Tracy in the past few days? It's usually quite good, but Vitamin in particular has been looking off-model (hideous as his model usually is), and now this lady is looking like from a different art style altogether, or like a not quite finished drawing.

or is she the daughter of an obscure villain whose gimmick was being printed in all flat shading cause I could honestly see that with these creators

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gosh, Curtis' dad

d'you think it might have been making a big thing out of the :siren: cookbook :siren: and impressing upon your kids the importance of not complaining that might have given them the idea

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Samovar posted:

Maybe also have Gilchrist Nancy being destroyed by new, better Nancy?
New, better Nancy, with a robot arm, dressed in a tattered and filthy US flag, possibly with two VIET NAM VET-baseball-capped heads tied to her belt by their beards.

David Lynch's Angriest Dog In The World would be good as a detail somewhere.

Death Ray, if you're already scraping the bottom, I'm gonna throw some German comics out there:

Werner

Not a daily strip, more of a book character, but guaranteed to be recognized by any German readers you may have.

Nick Knatterton

1950's parody of private detective pulp and comics in general. Used to be posted here at least two or three threads ago, I think by Hamiltonian Bicycle. The chin was always emphasized in the strips.

Ottiphants

The mascot of an extremely famous German comedian turned comic strip. This is one of the few legit daily strips I can think of. Always meant to start posting it, actually, but I can never find an archive. Plus whenever I do find strips I remember it's actually pretty bad.

Stulli the Sandwich

Regular feature in Titanic, a well known satirical magazine. The gag is the same in every strip: Stulli desperately wants to be eaten, but people invariably vomit upon hearing he's filled with margarine and Fleischsalat.

Didi & Stulle

My personal favourite for inclusion. Used to be a weekly magazine feature, is now cancelled, and is another one I toyed around with the thought of posting until I realized it's utterly intranslatable.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh and here's one from Spain, Mortadelo y Filemon

Good opportunity for visual gags; there were always panels where Mortadelo (in black) would appear in "disguise" as something like a fire hydrant or a scooter, but keeping the distinctive head, nose and glasses. Can't find any good examples though.

Actually if you're willing to go European you can mine some very rich veins indeed. Smurfs as diminutive blue mutants.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tunicate posted:

The Princess Planet
March 6th, 2006

March 7th, 2006

March 8th, 2006

There's a thin line between thinking up five jokes for a themed week and just putting all your drafts for one joke to paper.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dick Tracy team, have you ever noticed how Star Wars doesn't just cut to a shot of Darth Vader's unmasked face in the middle of The Empire Strikes Back, or how The Dark Knight avoids simply showing us upfront what Harvey Dent looks like after the fire, or how the Joker in Burton's Batman is revealed during a speech and steps out of the shadows right at the climax?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Beau Peep gang seems like a good fit for Weapon Brown too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

Yeah you see this is how you would have done a dramatic partial reveal with still something left up your sleeve if you hadn't given the game away on Sunday.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's a coherent setup. Suppose that's worth a mention.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I didn't know people were really into Mah Jong in the 20s.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

It's getting worse by the day

you've already done the reveal, you idiots, stop wasting more time on building up to another one

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay that is extremely good

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

snack eater posted:

what do you think Ed would do if Helen left for a weekend
burgers, golf, coronary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010