Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Andy Capp is about the titular bloke who drinks, gambles, never works and beats his wife. It's sometimes funny? I like it. I'm not posting the best years yet, because I'm doing this from the beginning. Modern Andy Capp meanwhile is a zombie strip, but I like it too so :shrug:

November 20th, 1957

"Yer might wait until they've taken their coats off!"

Heathcliff used to be dollar store Garfield. Now it is surreal almost-nonsense that elevates it above and beyond. I thought about posting old Heathcliff, but no one wants dollar store Garfield.

Ballard Street is a single-panel strip about the antics of a bunch of seniors on the titular street. Contains the best dogs in the thread. I post old comics from 2002, and the new ones.

October 7, 2002

Outbursts of Everett True is about a man who cares about manners a LOT. ... Okay: it ran from 1905 to 1927, created by AD Condo. It follows this formula: panel 1: a random person commits a faux pas or a crime. Panel 2: Everett True destroys them. It's good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pastry of the Year, I like every single comic you post, please keep it up!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I present to you an example of old Garfield being genuinely good:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You know what helps out a new year? Remembering to post my comics! I'd resolve to remember to post my comics, but I know I'll forget again, so instead I will resolve to post catch-up posts whenever I need to. This habit is good for me and fun and I'm not going to let a missed day get me down!

Andy Capp

November 21, 1957

"In a manner o' speakin' I DID 'ave a 'olliday this year, Andy was in 'ospital for a couple of weeks."

Heathcliff

... You want old dollar store Garfield? I'll give it a go for a week, but no promises, it's... well, okay. It's better than modern Garfield but not by much.

January 1, 2002 (I can't find any older at the mo)

:kimchi:

Ballard Street

October 8, 2002

Outbursts of Everett True

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I'm posting Half Full today because I have no idea what the joke is supposed to be. So that's Yoda and R2D2, but Yoda is talking normally and wants to return whatever the pink lumpy stuff is, because...?

Red & Rover time: the pink stuff is the tissue. He wants to return the ugly sweater he's wearing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Actually Gately died/Gallagher took over back in 2001; in other words, this is Modern Heathcliff: The Early Years

That's weird, because the comic is signed Gately and the humor is absolutely different from Gallagher's stuff. Maybe he had a lot of backlog?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Don't think I've ever really heard much about all the supposed drama surrounding FooB's writer beyond that it's been mentioned that a lot of the comic is dragging in stuff from her own life, but every strip I've bothered to read of the comic makes it feel like FooB's writer is the sort of person who feels that having kids and starting a family is what women are supposed to do but also loathes children and raising kids probably made both her and the kids miserable.

She once put a child out into the freezing Canadian winter and was going to leave them there until their guardian angel told them to let the child in.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The fact that she loving laughs about it just makes this even worse. Reading Foob after reading that has been a whirlwind because literally every strip is "my children are awful!"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/drob/status/1079883906248134656

Relevant whenever Dustin gets posted

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

incredible

Thank you for these! Give all of this delicious terribleness right to me, yes, thank you

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Apparently there are still fans dedicated enough to rip apart these strips, day by day. On livejournal, no less!

quote:

Panel 1: John decides to solve the problem of children wanting "to live in luxury" by sitting them down and telling them both about home heating.

Panel 2: You see, it costs two grand Canadian to heat the Pattermanse over the winter and that every time they touch the thermostat, it costs money.

Given that they're clearly uncomfortably cold despite his spending more money on heating his house than makes sense, it seems to me that he's kind of too stupid to insulate his house and would rather lecture his kids about luxury than take steps to put a dent in heating costs.

Panel 3: This is because he misjudges the impact of his message when he tells them that he wants them to think of that every time they complain about the temperature. He would like to assume that his children would be enlightened and change their ways because he thinks that he's a better person overall and better dad in particular than he actually is.

Panel 4: When Mike asks him how warm he and Liz can get for a buck, John looks like a pole-axed ewe because he doesn't know what he looks like to his children.

Summary: John's blathering about how the moral obligation of feeding, clothing and housing the children he brought into the world is a big imposition cruelly inflicted upon him has yet again gotten in the way of his trying to teach them things about money. If he were a real man instead of a kid who had to be man of the house too soon and who can't unclench his bowels, he might have actually taught them something.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Andy Capp

November 22, 1957

Heathcliff

Found actual old Heathcliff from the 70s!

Ballard Street

October 9, 2002

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Ye Olde Foxtrot 04/11/88

I am enjoying Ye Olde Foxtrot and can't wait to see more!

Andy Capp

November 23, 1957

"'Eads we go to the dogs - tails we play snooker - and if it stands on it's edge we take Florrie and Mary to the pictures."

Heathcliff Old And New

Ballard Street

October 10, 2002

holy poo poo this one is dark

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Please stop posting pros and cons, it is bad and is just the rantings of a dumb idiot chud with no more redeeming qualities

At the very least it sometimes lands a funny joke, unlike loving Intelligent Life

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Andy Capp

November 25, 1957 (nothing for the 24th!)

"I make it a rule never to interfere between man and wife."

Heathcliff Old And New

Ballard Street

October 11, 2002

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You can't loving do that! She's in college, he's an adult! They are your ROOMMATES at this point!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You thought I'd forgotten, like I usually do on a Sunday! But no! Today I conquer myself and post my comics! Ha ha ha!

Andy Capp

November 26, 1957 --- oh hey here it is, the strip that modern Andy Capp reused the gag from a few weeks ago

"Yer could 'ave ASKED me to get out of the way!"

Heathcliff Old and New

Ballard Street

October 12, 2002 + no sundays

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I wish I could learn more about Mordock the man. Who is he? What does he look like? Does he have pets? These questions keep me up at night.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

What is "desoit"?

AHA I figured it out while yelling at google

desoit = dessert. Try saying it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

snack eater posted:

Meg is in high school and Ed can still ground Dustin since he's too lazy to get his own house

I could have sworn Meg was in college. My point stands with Dustin, though. He's a loving adult. He's a roommate, not a child, and Ed cannot ground him.*

*I mean technically he can, but that seems like gross misuse of power to me. If Ed's going to complain about his son being a lazy worthless bum, treating him like a child is not going to help!**

**I'm aware that Ed wants his son to suffer forever because he hates him, which leads me back around to: gently caress Dustin the comic strip. I hate it.

Full disclosure: I'm a college student living with my parents because it's cheaper than a dorm, and if they tried to ground me it'd pretty much destroy our relationship of mutual trust and respect. As their roommate I pay my rent and do my chores and work hard. If there's a problem, we talk it out and find a solution.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Can he really, though? How's he going to stop an adult from leaving the house?

Even without a relationship of mutual respect, being a douchey hardass doesn't work if your adult son knows your attempts at grounding him have no teeth.

(Normally the teeth would be the threat of evicting him, but if Ed was going to do that he'd have done it a long time ago, considering how much he hates Dustin.)

Hence the technically: technically Ed could evict him and take his keys and so on. We know he won't, but yeah. This is part of why you have to be really careful with the boundaries and respect in this kind of relationship. Parents as landlords is tricky...and it could be an interesting and relevant dynamic to explore in this comic strip, given that more and more people are moving back in with their parents due to economics, but Dustin? Actually look at that thoughtfully? Hahahaha.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Maybe Dustin should try adding a room onto the house for that neighbor kid. It would show gumption and problem solving skills. Probably wouldn't need to run that past anybody until it came time to choose the paint colors.

The deepest, longest sigh

why are so many newspaper comics so terrible

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Andy Capp

November 27, 1957

"Give over, woman! - this is the last time I buy yer a bunch o' flowers!"

Heathcliff Old and New

Ballard Street

October 14, 2002

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

...What did he write on the calendar?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

...Huh, I forgot we don't have that in English language culture. Which is funny, since as you can see, it's in English, and is based on an English language reference. Specifically, D-Day. When making long-term plans South Korean people will often designate D-# to mean number of days until the plan is executed.

Oh, that's cool! :rip: Taku

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

hey, so today I learned something awful and you need to learn it too

I couldn't figure out why the heck Gwen liked the round cardboard costume best until I remembered her frosty the snowman fetish

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

If we pretend very hard, we can pretend that I didn't miss a day yesterday... (I'll be back later today to post today's comics!)

Andy Capp

November 28, 1957

"Seven years bad luck? - yer mean it could be WORSE?"

Heathcliff Old And New

Ballard Street

October 15, 2002

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kennel posted:

The Book

Fältskärns berättelser is a historical novel written by Finnish author and journalist Zachris Topelius. It was published as a serial story between 1853 and 1867. The original work was written in Swedish as the cultural and political elite of Finland was largely Swedish speaking.

The Comic

Välskärin kertomuksia (Finnish name) was published as a daily strip in Helsingin Sanomat between 1956 and 1962. It was drawn by Egon Meuronen who did several other adventure strips during his career 1942-65. While he was quite productive cartoonist back then, I had actually never heard of him or any of his strips so not really a household name nowadays.

Is it good? Is it boring? I have no idea, let's find out!

The setting: Thirty Years' War
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Breitenfeld_(1631)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustavus_Adolphus_of_Sweden
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Tserclaes,_Count_of_Tilly

I try to keep the pace at two strips/day.

This is cool as hell, keep it up!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Andy Capp

November 29, 1957

"That's what I keep tellin' Florrie. beer never hurt anybody."

Heathcliff Old and New -- is it just me, or is old Heathcliff hitting a similar note of being weird and off-beat? Not as surreal, but it seems like the sense of humor is the same.

Ballard Street

October 16, 2002

Outbursts of Everett True - ANKLES! HOW SCANDALOUS

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Ryona_Violet/status/1083079959235776512

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Andy Capp

November 30, 1957

"So THAT'S what you've been doin' with yer evenin's!"

Heathcliff Old and New

Ballard Street

October 17, 2002

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Technowolf posted:

The world before indoor plumbing was a helluva time.

There's a reason why any good historical fiction mentions just how bad cities smelled.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Has Holbrook ever brought in any hippo characters? Those are the most vicious "prey" animals I can think of.

Regarding Andy Capp, yep he's been turned cute, because he's an adorable ragamuffin who constantly spends all of his money on booze and gambling. I... I don't recall seeing any abuse "jokes" in new Andy? I'd have to go check, but I wouldn't be surprised if they quietly got rid of those.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

PetraCore posted:

Naw, more abusive in his still unpleasant personality, they dropped the domestic abuse 'jokes' and it's a good riddance.

I think it's just more jarring when it's posted next to the old Andy Capp stuff, which gets a lot less cute. Because of all the domestic abuse.

Good on them.

And yep. God, I've become inured to Andy Capp. The joke today was "he can't beat his wife because she learned ju-jitsu" and I barely batted an eye at it. Stare not into the abyss...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

skipThings posted:

The abuse "jokes" are of course terrible and not at all great, but in a way I found it great that today's comic showed him getting his come-uppance that he so rightly deserves and how it actually aknowledges he's a mosnter of a man and husband.

So, knowing were the character comes from, just makes me even more nauseous when I see the "adorable" red nosed, smiling, new Andy, who very much still has a history as an abuser but has learned probably nothing, still being a drunk gambler, but modern audiences are supossed to sympathise with him.

I'm in no way trying to relativize domestic abuse, it just rubs me the wrong way how they're white washing it, I guess

I hear you. I'd love it if they could address his shittiness in any way, but while modern Capp had the sense to quietly remove the abuse, it's still a zombie strip. No innovation, no storylines, just the sad repetition of jokes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Andy Capp

December 2, 1957 (he skipped December 1st, eh?)

"Do tell me if the noise disturbs yer!"

Heathcliff Old and New

Ballard Street

October 18, 2002

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jamal is not holding back, oh boy. Here we go.

e: this is not to say that Jamal hasn't let loose before! It's just that this is the first time I've seen a black person and a cop in the funnys page and immediately felt a sense of fear and dread. In Baldo you know they'll be fine, but here? Here anything could happen!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 12, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze has actually been in repeats. I hate that I recognize these strips.

I am so, so sorry.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Some comics are extra large today because I forgot to turn off my browser's zoom for gocomics until after I'd snipped them and I'm too lazy to redo 'em.

Andy Capp

December 3 1957

"Strikes me they'd get the ball into that net quicker if they just kept out of each others road."

Heathcliff Old and New

Ballard Street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Andy Capp

December 4, 1957

"Fibber! Seein' as I'm sat 'ere mendin' the tea-towel, what would yer DRY 'em with!"

(andy noooooooooo)

Heathcliff Old and New

Ballard Street

October 21, 2002 + no sundays