Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

computer angel posted:

I saw this posted in the other comic thread and I think it should be part of the OP

Apparently by Playboy cartoonist Bernard Kliban, particularly known for his Cat cartoons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._Kliban

Green Intern posted:

What the gently caress, Holbrook.

Also Tauhid Bondia is a name that I haven’t heard in a long while. Can’t recall what webcomic it was that he wrote though.

"Broken Telephone", apparently. I vaguely recall it being absolutely miserable.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is a garbage comic "written" by John Zakour and drawn by Scott Roberts, and is a long-time contender for "Worst Strip in the Tread". It's a lazy workplace "comedy" mixed with Big-Bang-Theory-level nerd jokes, which is to say they think references are jokes. Spoiler: they are not. In addition, some of the characters have total cosmic powers, and can turn people into objects, turn them to stone, and other stupid poo poo like that.

Given the prevalence of it I fear that, like with Holbrook and pregnancy stuff, the transformation material in Working Daze is a reflection of a fetish.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Agreed, you're a thread hero EasyEW.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

I made a chart to help me explain what's going on with the Safe Havens crew:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

TofuDiva posted:

It's insane for me to be focused on this, but I've been waiting for them to show a window in this room-converted-from-a-closet (IIRC). If there isn't a window, it isn't safe or legal as anyone's bedroom.

That varies heavily by jurisdiction, and I think they only apply to initial homebuilders most of the time. The closet deathtrap's kosher! They just can't list it as a bedroom when they sell the house.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

They might have been married when introduced as characters back in the day.
https://www.markcarlson-ghost.com/index.php/2017/04/10/mary-worth-history/

I should mention that for years, since first hearing of its history, I have long sought an available archive of Apple Mary, Mary Worth's original incarnation. If any of you have any idea of where I might find one, please let me know!

Darthemed posted:

Nice Gilchrist reference.

idgi

JethroMcB posted:

Panel 3 really needs to be "Listen, Pattie, I hear what you're saying and all but, like, a decade ago I couldn't attend this school"

That's pretty close to what the point of the comic is, if I'm interpreting it correctly.

Vargo posted:

Hey, I just wanna make sure this little guy doesn't get left behind in the last thread:

Ohhh, thanks, I remember when I pulled him out!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 4, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

davidspackage posted:

Maybe put this in the OP

While we're at it, if you will forgive my terrible isolation job:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

fwiw this link appears to still work for that olympic games site:

http://www.olympic-museum.de/art/artcompetition.htm

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 7, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

What is "desoit"?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

hahahaha I was trying to find archaic french

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Strong potential with that panel 4. I can't isolate nancy, but here's what I can do in Paint 3D.

Really, I think the comic has a lot of manipulation potential in general.

...do we have a Bushmiller font?

The Arlo and Janis with the chili secret ingredient could also use some love. And by love, I mean dog semen.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 8, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Heck with it here are the other two:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I hope it's alright that I'm attaching these files to posts. This is a function I almost never use, but imgur would convert these files to jpgs or something.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I now believe that Holbrook has some sort of curse placed on him where at least one of his fictional characters has to be pregnant at all times.

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (August 5, 1935)

Thimble Theater is one of the only strips I frequently skip, but this one's great.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze references a comic nobody remembers.

From a ways back but what is it referencing?

A+

StrixNebulosa posted:

Heathcliff Old and New -- is it just me, or is old Heathcliff hitting a similar note of being weird and off-beat? Not as surreal, but it seems like the sense of humor is the same.

I had some very old collection books lying around my grandparents' house when I was a kid, and yes, absolutely. It was always very distinct from, e.g., Garfield.

Just Dan Again posted:

I'd always thought that the idea of ankles being scandalous was some kind of hyperbole. Wild to see that ankle-gazing really was once a pervy thing to do!

I mean, if somebody looked at a lady's ankles in public with a wide-eyed, lustful expression nowadays it'd be pretty weird, but still.

https://twitter.com/CillizzaCNN/status/852568945982930944

He, uh, did not ask permission to take that photo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I prefer to believe that Andy has made millions as a hot fries magnate, and jobhunting, drinking and troubled relationship with his wife is just a comedic routine they do to fill time between trips to the Riviera.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

Spiders < Bees.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Ugh, can't fix that weird artifacted circle by removing the attachment. Sorry, have a clean one.

...also anyone have that creepy Curtis character I saved last year?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

yesssss

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

edit dang and now I realize the endless Mark Trail possibilities here

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The artwork on this Bizarro is downright lush.

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

No, your timing’s perfect and so is this.

I love this lil' prompt of mine and I am going to run it into the ground.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

I think I know where this is going, and...eeeech.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I discovered some Andy Capp media on youtube:

An Andy Capp-based ad for a british wire transfer service.

Much more fittingly, an Andy Capp liquor ad.

Flo Capp, in live action, presenting some sort of edutainment program about gender roles?

Oh and, uh...one more thing.

There was an Andy Capp TV series.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 16, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Haifisch posted:

2012 Spiderman

That fish is going to haunt me.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 17, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

please replace with sluggo faces

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Fantastic! I kinda want to send it to the creator.

asecondduck posted:

Zakour obviously has an inflation fetish.

ugggh :golfclap:

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 18, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

edit: removed for error

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Problem like Jamal is a prequel.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I want Oh Baby, Sylvia, and Herb and Jamal posted again, preferably in the middle of other comic blocks so they sneak up on users with minimal warning.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm trying to track down the context for a particular newspaper strip panel I saved years ago. It made a big enough impression on me that I saved it, but now I find I know nothing about it.

Any ideas?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I love all of you, that's probably exactly where I encountered it. Now to learn who this mysterious shadowy figure is :swoon:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Alley Oop is growing on me. And if that Mark Trail is real, it's also actually great.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Haha, I remember that guy. A live-in butler and chef guy. What a bizarre story arc! Inspired my first avatar choice, too.

Dude was serious about his cooking.

hello next avatar! I'll recaption it to say something about gantt charts!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 25, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

EasyEW posted:

Dok's Dippy Duck wears his civic pride on his non-existent sleeve. (May 21-23, 1923)

This appears to have been a specific thing in the 1920s:

http://jtn.stparchive.com/Archive/JTN/JTN06171924p08.php

That said a cursory search isn't finding much more about it. Where was this strip originally made/published?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Let me use this example: Imagine four panels on the left side of the page. Say a direct copy of the panel closest to the bottom is sent to the back of the line of panels on the right and takes the place of the first panel. The formerly first panel becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the page."

Cheer Up Boss Dharma works the same way.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Tiggum, could you share the fontsets you use to make these?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Tiggum posted:

If only I had such a thing. I copy and paste the letters.

hmm.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

asecondduck posted:

there's a long-running strip that is currently written and drawn by former fetish artists that you'd never guess in a million years.

Ziggy.

No, wait

Ripley's Believe it or not.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

That last panel with the giant brings back vague memories of a book I had as a kid. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

The first Where’s Wally/Waldo book has giants drinking up lakes with straws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

It was an illustrated children's paperback full of faerie tales about giants. One of them was The Brave Little Tailor I remember because I thought the belt buckle with "seven with one blow" for killing flies was hilarious.
But one of the illustrations had a giant face that looked like that one.
I also had a book of dragon faerie tales with illustrations by the same artist.

Ah, I was thinking of:

edit: ye gods, that's huge! How do I remove it!?