Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

slidebite posted:

Happy new year you freaks.

Think I'm going to do the dry January thing. Anyone else?

I'm there with ya!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Quitters. I drink like one beer per week anyway.

I'm counting the days so it'd really be quitting to start drinking again at this point.

E: also thanks for reminding me my friend is starting dry january and I need to give her some encouragement!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

Done. Though, it could be deleted, IDK. I'm cool with whatever. Personal challenge will still stand either way.

Works for me.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

They scale close enough, if you're more than 1 category from "healthy" and you're not a professional athlete you've got problems.

I mean I'm far from a professional athlete. I'm around 15% body fat and I'm dangerously close to being "obese" at 215lbs, 6'0", and a BMI of 29.2.

If you aren't working out I guess it's an okay indicator.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I mean, in this case I'm mathematically correct, but otherwise you're probably safer assuming doctors are stupid about everything outside of their immediate specialty. It's loving scary sometimes.

Dunning-Kruger Effect alive and well!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rhyno posted:

super thicc

Oh whatup girl?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

sigtrap posted:

Speaking of ambulances, I love POV stuff on YouTube and I follow this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAM-cN-N35LuEl-Z1zW5A_A

Being in Yurop (The Netherlands), he drives one of those Mercedes wagons, and it's interesting seeing what they have to do to calmly but quickly get through traffic. The frustrating thing is listening to the diesel chugging away, or hearing the sounds of a foot pressed to the floor and an automatic that refuses to downshift, but they still manage to get there in a hurry.

I watch that channel all the time. This is weird.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Geoj posted:

I'm not an EE but from what I understand you'd have to drive a substantially higher voltage than its rated for across the LED in reverse polarity to actually damage it.

I'm no expert but I'd wager a guess that it has to do with the depletion zone width, which can vary depending on the density of the dopant for both the p and n junctions.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Take em all as input and make a voltage divider to tap 12v.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Sgt Fox posted:

Voltage divider means that you'll be dissipating the 24V voltage drop from your 36V as wasted energy. Going to need a pretty large power resistor for that one.

Better to get a DC-DC converter to step the 36V down to 12V. Common ones use a buck coverter regulator. Here is a cheap one thats rated at 20A:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLF-CART-DC-BUCK-CONVERTER-20-AMP-48V-36V-VOLTAGE-REDUCER-REGULATOR-TO-12V-20A-/332636767119

Listen to this guy

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I just farted with my headphones in, in the middle of the engineering commons. Unsure whether it made a sound or if anyone noticed.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Woof that's a hard one. Condolences amigo.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Eclipse!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

meatpimp posted:

The battery went out on my Alienware M17 R3. No biggie, I've had it a couple years... it's an enclosed battery, so I figured I'd have to take the bottom cover off or something... nope. gently caress you, Alienware, that is absolutely ridiculous.

Please to entertain you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWBHx2NzYs8

I was gonna :smug: about how this is normal motherboard replacement and I don't get why you're bitching about it, but then I got to the end and remembered you're replacing the battery :psyduck:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I made it 33 seconds. Anyone beat my record?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

fridge corn posted:

I'm glad I have a very desirable skillset

You have a very desirable everything babe.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

That's...not how it works. That's not how any relationship works.

You're going to have to be way more vague as this is entirely too specific

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I expected a much more complicated explanation with a lot more drama but that is remarkably easy. Good for you all. If consenting adults can get along in whatever fashion that is then let them have it. That doesn't affect me personally. If it interferes with the lives of others then I would probably have a problem with it. Not that I am the kind of person that could do what you are doing, I know way too many women that are close friends of my wife who can't find a decent person to be with. If there was any situation where they could have that then how good for them it would be.

Yeah this. I choose this opinion to plagiarize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

InitialDave posted:

wind your neck in.

Stealing this.