Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I hope 2019 is good weird, not bad weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Nice!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

I needed a loving ice scraper this morning.

I do not own a loving ice scraper.

:catstare:

A couple years ago, a family of Americans moved in. We all crowded around, gawping at the foreigners, and then forgot about it immediately. They can pass for Canadian very well, you know.

In October the snow began to fall and the patriarch of the family was confronted with a problem: ask his neighbours for a snow brush, or try to royally gently caress things up.

According to neighbourhood scuttlebutt, my neighbour came out, and saw the dude going to town on the windshield of a lifted Tundra with an old credit card.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

fridge corn posted:

BBC News - Pawel Adamowicz, Gdansk mayor, stabbed at Poland charity event
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46858463

He just died.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46867286

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I am really sorry about your sister and also about your awful parents :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I never used to care about the NFL until Tom Brady arrived. Now I follow it just to watch the embarrassing moment when his career is finally ended and I can go back to only pretending to follow hockey at parties.

gently caress, I hate him.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Kazinsal posted:

I'd hope that the contractor thing would disconnect her from any "corporate loyalty" bullshit, but... eehhhhhh.

As a newbie contractor there have been times I would stab a child for a chance at a contract renewal.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Make no mistakes HR is there to protect the company, employee assistance/protection is a distant second.

God drat, why do I even try to sell poo poo online? Just to email back and forth with mouth breathing idiots?

Here is my ad:

Replies:

Is it still for sale?

Includes the monitor?

r u includinng games?? (actual grammar)

available?

Including a joystick?

monitor?

still available?

fuuuuckkkk :suicide:

Kijiji is so loving bad. I can only imagine how bad Facebook Marketplace is because that's even less friction for the mouthbreather caste.

I could do with some blank 5.25" floppies, if you end up getting frustrated and want to part out your sale even further :v:. I don't know if the unlabeled ones I have here have something worth archiving on them, and haven't had a chance to set up my 1541 to check yet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Not especially "valuable", but the 1702 is a good quality, well made CRT and has what amounts to s-video inputs via RCA (Chroma/luma) and great for retrogaming which I why I want to keep it. They're also no stupid crazy heavy and have handles for portability which is kind of nice. Commodore made monitors better than they deserve to. Between the 1702 and 1804, they were excellent.

Commodore signed crazy deals with all kinds of CRT manufacturers because I think their Japanese/European sales guys got bored and had no oversight whatsoever. JVC made the 1701/1702 (maybe a holdover from some work on the VIC-20), and I think Philips made the 1084.

It is sort of funny how many corners they cut on the actual computer, but the high-margin peripherals are primo.

I love my 1702 but it needs some work, maybe even a recap.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Installing a central vac in an already existing house would suck all sorts of rear end. Even though I'm obviously a bit of a fanboy, unless it was roughed in when being built, I don't think it would be worth it.

I'm pretty sure we were roughed-in for it. I have one wand port upstairs and nowhere else in the house :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

LloydDobler posted:

There's a higher end outdoor mall near me that has a New Balance store. They have a line of sneakers that are 100% made in the USA. Last time I was in there they started at $225 and topped out at $600. Even my "rah-rah-USA-we only drive Fords and drink bud" friends won't buy them.

It used to be that buying american got you a better product and was worth it. Then we taught the poor people how to make comparable quality (or "adequate" for the price) and priced ourselves out of the market. Then to drive our own costs down to compete we cut corners on quality. Then when that wasn't enough we cut wages. And now we're hosed until it reaches some sort of equilibrium or we develop genuinely smart economic policy.

Wage deflation is the core problem. Wages weren't cut in order to compete with Chinese manufacturing; Chinese manufacturing made products so cheap that wages could be cut and nobody would scream too much.

Margins are better than ever, and that goes to management bonuses, buyouts to goose the growth numbers, and share buybacks.

And for anything that has now genuinely become unaffordable because their manufacture does not see large boons from being exported to cheaper labour (new cars, houses) there's cheap crack-cocaine credit.

China is rapidly becoming more expensive to manufacture things in, too. Pretty soon we'll be leaning on India and Vietnam.

If wage growth had stayed the same way it was trending throughout the 1970s your hee-haw pals would absolutely be able to afford made-in-the-USA sneakers assembled by people who could also afford to have a family.

I think there's a core of lazy cynicism at the heart of American manufacturing even at ideal times (as seen from 1970s General Motors, or Chrysler from any era) but Henry Ford was (surprisingly for him) right about being able to make his own workers afford the products they made.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 27, 2019