Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Goodbye 2018 - you will not be missed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

I just want them to make a matchbox car out of a 6th Gen Accord. Is that too much to ask?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

blindjoe posted:

Its a few pages back, but I own a 2014 Pathfinder, I got it Dec 2013.

At the time, it was a reasonable 7 seater (the 2013/14 highlanders don't fit adults easily in the back row) that was $200 a month less on the lease than the highlander.
It was also rated at something like 7 l/100km (33 mpg)

Pros:
Back seats are nice, has a really nice tilt and slide that works with LATCH car seats
I have the platinum, the around view camera was amazing comparitively
CVT makes it really smooth driving
Can tow 5k lbs
$200 a month over 48 months paid for half of my buyout
Good in the snow

Cons:

Has had 3 transmission replacements under warranty, first one after 9k km.
- last one the day after I paid off the lease
- there was a class action lawsuit that extended the warranty which is why I bought the lease
- CVT had to be reprogrammed so now it drives rougher
Has had 2 Transfer Cases because it likes to leak oil onto the exhaust and smell burning. Seems like it is doing that again, and now its not under warranty
Gets 21 mpg. Has never gotten 30, not even crusing on the highway
Towing 5k lbs makes it poo poo out transmissions (see above)
On changing the brakes, I saw the suspension a-arms use a horizontal rubber bushing for motion instead of something that turns on the right axis, so the rubber is all cracked
Uses one off 20" tires so tires are expensive and for the longest time the only options were the ones that came on the car

Basically its a lifted altima wagon that they stuffed extra seats in the trunk. If the transmissions didn't fall apart, it would be a reasonable car.
I would get one for cheap (and I did, I bought mine for $22k after the 4 years, dealers wanted $30k cdn for the same car with more km) but not if you have a choice for something else. Plus the real answer is minivan if you need the third row.

Man I guess Nissan really can't make a transmission to save their lives. And I thought the V6 accords were bad for going out around 80-100k! drat

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Rhyno posted:

One of my high school chums is an air traffic controller at a large airport in the midwest. He posted on FB that less than half the TSA agents in his airport are still showing up to work and the NATCA (their union) is pondering telling members to also cease showing up for work. He is also clear that he does not speak for anyone or the union but this is what's being talked about.

So uh, better fly while you can.

I do tech support for several airlines. Hoping they shut down tbh so I can just chill on call and get paid lol.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Kazinsal posted:

Wellp, after two years I'm probably selling my FR-S. Nine hundred a month (:canada:) including loan, insurance, parking, and gas isn't worth it when I can take a bus and a train and walk fifteen minutes for a grand total of half an hour extra and five dollars a day.

Sucks, but apparently car ownership costs in Vancouver got a lot worse since I was last here...

I was looking into buying a used FR-S not long ago until I heard how bad on gas they are :(

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Rhyno posted:

They're still badass little cars. If I'd been in a better position financially I'd be driving one of those instead of the Miata.

I'm looking into getting a Miata myself.

A new/pre-owned brz/fr-s is first big boi job with no kids money.

A used Miata is a "first job above the poverty line" money.

Guess which one of those categories I fall into lol

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

NitroSpazzz posted:

We did some digging trying to figure out why the Pathfinder was so much cheaper than the Highlander and the transmissions making GBS threads themselves after 15k or less was a common theme. Ultimately took them off the list of possible vehicles completely because of that. We're going to test drive a Ford Flex, even though they're ugly and Ford, and a Minivan or three when the Highlander arrives just to be sure we aren't missing anything.

Car shopping for her has made me start getting the new car itch. Just for fun I checked trade-in on my car $100-700, guess I can't count on that to help much.

That's just so embarrassing 15k miles?

No wonder Nissan is financing anyone with a credit score >100 lol

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

NitroSpazzz posted:

It was either consumer reports or a forum where wife found several people who had it go out in the first 5k. So yeah, Nissan completely poo poo the bed on the trans. I didn't realize they were ALL cvt, that explains the weird acceleration I noticed. More noticeable on heavy acceleration but I found it to hang after you let off the gas for what seemed like a full 1-2 seconds. Merged onto the interstate at full throttle and thought the pedal was stuck when I lifted, not a good feeling.

Explains why you can find a 25k mile, three year old one for <$20k fairly easily. Stinks because otherwise it was a nice vehicle, pretty much on par with the Highlander.

I had the same experience with the "hanging" acceleration on my cousin's forester and I hated it so much I don't think I'll ever own a car with a CVT. That and I don't really trust them b/c I've heard they're pretty much impossible to rebuild and it really does just seem unreliable.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

ilkhan posted:

Haven't felt the same thing with the fiancee's Outback. It's a CVT, but it does fake gearing too.

IIRC the model my cousin has only does the fake gearing in sport mode. I tried it both ways but like so many other unexceptional daily driver cars it just made me wish I were driving my 01 Accord lol

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I put 93 in my 2.3L Accord and it runs so much smoother.

I hit redline this morning for the first time in recent memory while I was merging onto the highway and it was loving awesome.

It smelled like oil for a second... but it was still awesome lol

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

STR posted:

Seafoam that bitch and check the timing, that motor shouldn't ever ping on 87 unless it's like 130 degrees outside. The F23 is pretty overbuilt (so long as you keep oil in it, it loves to mark its territory via the front and rear crank seals, also the cam seal). They don't usually start smoking until they're well past 200k, unless they've been run low on oil or don't get wound up often.

They really hate being run low on oil though. Especially since Honda didn't use cam bearings on them (or, really, any of their oldschool 4 cylinders). But it'd be telling pretty loud knock knock jokes if that'd happened (they'll run longer than most other Honda engines with knock knock jokes, but they won't be happy).

Now that I think about it, I don't even know if any other F series had a knock sensor. The F23A1 definitely had one, I'm not sure if the F22 family (90-97) got one though. I know the D series, even VTEC versions, didn't have one until 1996 on USDM cars.

It's not pinging at all it's just revving a little smoother on 93. The engine just broke 180k miles and still runs great but it does burn a fair bit of oil - still no smoke tho.

I does need some seafoam tho

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
drat that was one hell of derail.

Well burning 93 makes me feel successful for 300+ miles and that's honestly good enough for me.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

cakesmith handyman posted:

Hope this isn't the innocuous 1st chapter in the book about WW3

If anyone is gonna start it it'll be Poland prolly.

I don't even want to think about it though the world stresses me out enough as it is.

So anyone else looking forward to test driving the new Supra? My credit score is over 800 now so I think they'll let me test drive it even though I only have like $3 grand to make as a down payment (not gonna buy it anyways so who cares).

I feel like it's disappointing on paper but I'm sure it'll be a whole lot of fun.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

everdave posted:

I’m not too hyped about the Supra but if my small town dealer gets one I’ll go and try to take it out, if I come in one of my JDM imports probably have a good chance. At least it’s priced “reasonable”.

They're saying it's going to be $60k right?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

redgubbinz posted:

If there's one image to sum up the Trump presidency, this probably wouldn't be it but it'd be in the running.

AND WE'RE GONNA MAKE TACO BELL PAY FOR IT!

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Geoj posted:

Pretty much this, doing the "right thing" got me fired and put me in a potential financial bind (what if my current employer had had to push my start date back a month?) Most employers don't give you notice when you're being laid off or fired, so why should it be mandatory that employees do when they leave?

Unless an employer has been particularly good to me I intend to never give notice when leaving a job again.

The last time I gave a two weeks notice I made it to the end of the second week (literally the last day) only to have my boss pull me into his office and tell me that I would be fired in two weeks if I didn't get my metrics up.

Apparently he forgot about my two weeks notice and I had to remind him that it was my last day.

He was just like "Oh... ok well I guess never mind then."

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

keykey posted:

If I had a boss that lovely that didn't remember I had already given 2 weeks notice, given it was the last day, I would have looked him straight in the eye and deadpan said "Well then, I'll do you the favor... I. Quit!" Then walk off, because gently caress it... Already gone anyway.

I probably should have but I was more shocked than anything else honestly because 3 days prior to that he literally told me "We're gonna miss you" and then he just forgets like wtf?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

keykey posted:

Any Atlanta goons in here? If so, what is your experience living there? Extra credit if you’re a out of state transplant.

Yes I live in Altanta (Dekalb county) and I was born and raised here. Tbh it's a pretty bad place to live if you're a young person b/c most of the people in the metro area are just strung out on drugs. The ones that are actually serious about poo poo usually live in the suburbs and have settled down. If you are married/intend on living with a SO it's a pretty nice place to live though.

Tbh I'm about to move back up to upstate NY or NYC (depending on what job I wind up getting). If you're into cars tho Atlanta is the place to be. I love going to car shows down here.

nm posted:

Are you sure he wasn't loving with you?
When I quit my last job with like a month notice (union, government job, so no downside, plus certain lawyer ethics stuff) my boss (who I liked) made a lot of "we're gonna have to let you go" jokes (he also was an old dude who liked old man jokes.)

No he was dead serious and looked legit embarrassed. Then he thanked me for bothering to put in my two weeks b/c the majority of the people that worked in that hell hole just walked off or didn't show up one day (I wish I did the same looking back).

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Going to see another NA Miata this weekend.

It's a black fully loaded special edition NA with the red leather seats and factory BBS wheels. It looks pretty sweet.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Adiabatic posted:

I made it 33 seconds. Anyone beat my record?

When I get home from work tonight and get really stoned I reckon I'll be able to make it through the whole thing.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9j8t7d-Gv4

My vote for the car-related-thread-theme-song of the month.

Or whatever Dragula was in October lol.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Fender Anarchist posted:

The revving mustang jackass whose garage is on my building finally kept it up for long enough for me to walk out and confront him. Well, apparently this time it was one of his buddies in a 370Z, there were like 4 of them standing there. Their excuse was "oh yeah it's a stick shift", cause apparently that necessitates banging off the limiter like 12 times in a row to move a car around, right? Then he changed tacks to straight up "Well, you know, if there's a problem, you can take it up with the front office! :)"

I am not enough of an rear end in a top hat to be doing this kind of poo poo.

At least they don't have a 15in subwoofer blasting for 10-15 minutes every morning while they sit in their car on their phone like the guy at my last complex.

It sounds like they're going to ruin both of those cars. Such is the life of the bro's car.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

T-Square posted:

Welp, my co-worker just put in a week's notice, citing our worthless Office Manager as her reason for terminating employment. This fucks me, because I too am trying to get out. However, this recent turn of events has lead our controller of 30 years to finally get it through our General Manager's head that he needs to get rid of our Office Manager (who is his ex-SIL), or she's cutting ties.

She told me she wants me to step up and be trained to replace our Office Manager.

I don't want to be the Office Manager.

I'm pretty sure our controller realized that I'm not planning on sticking around when I said that I don't think I'm interested. She wants to follow up in "a day or two" and I don't have any offers for employment yet, because I just started looking.

:suicide:

Yeah I work in tech support and I would not accept the position of office manager for any sum of money. A lot of employers I've noticed will offer you a management position that is 4x the work for like the equivalent of an extra $5k a year. Honestly not worth it.

I'm trying to get out of my job too FWIW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Rhyno posted:

As a loving idiot who stayed in a retail job for 13 years because I felt I had no other skill set, yes, absolutely splash out and look for new jobs. Change is awesome.

True. Even at a really lovely job the first month is usually pretty sweet.