Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

I celebrated the new year by putting a roof rack on my wagon in the dark. Is this what getting old is?

I celebrated by continuing to reorganize the garage. So yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

Start IVF Monday so January is going to suck

Yeeeeesh. The whole process getting to that point is rough enough.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So are you going to be a Canuck or is she going to learn to stand on her head?

Congratulations!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BMI in concept is important, but the actual numbers don't scale well with height.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

They don't necessarily scale with height or muscle mass, but once you know where you are at individually, it's a good number to track.

At that point you're just tracking weight anyway.

I only weigh in once a week and even with a relatively consistent diet, I'll end up with no change one week, and 2-3x a week's goal the next week.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

I know I can wade into the SH/SC forum, but you folks are my peeps :3:

It's one of the only SH/SC threads I read or post in :v:

And yeah, for most modern RAID implementations, it's not unusual to have the initial format / sync take a long time, even with blank disks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I needed a loving ice scraper this morning.

I do not own a loving ice scraper.

:catstare:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bajaha posted:

To tell the truth, I'm a lazy rear end when it comes to scraping. A minute of blasting the heat with it on defrost and then a liberal application of windshield sprayers usually does the trick.

I tried this.

My washer fluid froze. :saddowns:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dagen H posted:

lol

Information you'll never use: there are "summer" and "winter" formulas, the latter being rated for -30F.

Yeah I'm aware of it, but it's pretty much non-existent here. Thankfully that should hopefully be our one truly cold night of the year.

Five years ago when I took the Jeep into the snow for the first time, I had the washer fluid freezing in the lines anytime I was moving faster than about 10mph.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I just bought four of the $180 10TB drives. Slightly higher price per GB but I'm limited to eight drives total on my main server.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah it's basically WD abusing the standard a bit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Pretty much all I find on rarbg is the torrent site. Or is that the joke?

Pretty sure that was the joke. :v:

You can't increase the resolution above the source. With DVDs and appropriate software you can fit a visually-identical copy of the video into a much smaller space using x264 or x265 codecs. I use Handbrake myself.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ferremit posted:

Once you tie plex into Sonaar and Radaar, its hunger for storage space gets stupid.

Yes it does. 39TB today and down to 1.5TB left. Once I swap out the 5TB drives for 10TB, 54TB, and I'm probably going to shove two of the 5TB drives in the non-hot-swap bays in a separate JBOD ZFS pool just to have another 10TB of susceptible-to-drive-failure storage.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, Cox loving sucks. But CenturyLink manages to be almost universally worse.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

That misses the point that some motors respond very well to a small increase in octane due to aggressive map adjustment based on knock sensor input.

The giant question mark is whether or not a given engine's factory programming will do this. Anything modern will certainly adjust timing around, but the computer will only advance timing so far - if the maximum allowed isn't advanced enough to need more than 87 octane, then there wouldn't be any benefit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Zero chance those burgers don't contain 2-3x the normal amount of spit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I'm dreading the inevitable steamed ham memes this will cause.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fender Anarchist posted:

How is clickspring so great? I just watched a 20 minute video on various ideas for ancient layout fluids and enjoyed every second.

You and me both.

Blew my mind a bit when he did that video showing how small of a workspace he does all of this in.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I still need to watch the second one. First one was amazing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You'll get nothing but support here, QC. Your passive-aggression was perfect and still better than they deserved.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

They didn't have a manual reset button? The entire bottom plastic and harddrive of my ACER has to be removed to access the battery, but there's a button that you can push with a pin to disconnect and reset the battery without taking everything apart

Or, failing that, holding the power button down for a long time generally forces a hard reset of everything.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bolind posted:

I’d like to think of these as an opener for negotiations, which I will allow. Wouldn’t ever use it myself, but I’ll give people a pass.

I'll generally try my best to find some aspect of the item that isn't explicitly in a description or photo and ask a question about it, but failing that there's not many better ways to start communication here. It's certainly better than just saying "Hi".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

Sorry for not mentioning earlier :shobon:

I've seen far too many people who have this in their listing... not take the ad down.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

except motherfucking mosquitos at night (during certain times of the year) and scorpions that you can hunt with a blacklight and hammer

Yeah, there are a few times a year where if I'm outside for more than a few minutes in sandals, my ankles get loving demolished with mosquito bites.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

We bought one of those a few months ago, super handy for quick jobs. If yours starts pulsing the power at any point give it a good cleaning. They have a safety built in so they don't pull too much suction.

This came up on an AvE vid-eh-yo once. Apparently there's a test standard where a vacuum has to survive X time running at full tilt, fully obstructed. Most vacuums accomplish this with alternate ways for air to get in, Dyson seems to just monitor the RPM directly and cuts power.

We've had one for a couple years, love it. The only thing I wish it had was a bigger battery, or a swappable one.

Or a Milwaukee M18 equivalent.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't have specifics but all three of those should be identical in terms of weight and dimensions, ignoring the exhaust/intake manifolds and the accessory drives (which vary based on the car they're from - LS1/2/3 Corvettes all have the same belt spacing, for example, but it's different from fourthgen/GTO and truck/new Camaro)

Edit: also oil pans. But literally any part of a LS that changes the dimensions can be swapped with the part from a different application.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I don't know how many people here are old enough to remember CDs coming out, but coming from records and cassettes it was amazing. I remember buying my first CD boombox, then getting Led Zeppelin 4 on CD and being completely blown away by the sound quality. I was happy to replace all my records and cassettes with CDs and have never thought once about ever going back to that.

I've literally never played a record but yeah my early music collecting days were on cassette and once I could afford to get my own CD player, I never went back.

I will say, based on Techmoan's various reviews of older high-end gear, it seems like the real limiting factor on tape was money. A high-end cassette tape deck, playing a well-mastered cassette with the proper noise reduction, sounds as good as anything else. The tape deck was a variable you could control to some extent by throwing a large amount of money at it, the latter, not so much. Poorly mastered cassettes and cheap decks were vastly more common, and sounded like utter trash. CDs (and every digital format to follow) removes the vast majority of those variables. The one thing you can control as a consumer - the cost of your player - no longer makes any significant difference in the quality of the audio output, so that cheap Aiwa CD player sounds better than any tape deck you could have ever gotten your hands on for remotely near the same money.