Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Congrats CT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

freelop posted:

My mum used to make me run outside with boiling water and pour it on the windows.
Somehow we always got away with it.

This reminds me of when I learned how to drive my rear end in a top hat step dad took full advantage and made me get the car ready every freezing cold morning, get it started and warmed up, cleaned off etc. But when it was time to ask to use it nope!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Hell yeah, this. Catch us up, trapper of sigs...

Yeah last I heard he had an Aston Martin, now he hasn't driven in two years?

Sigtrap is like the cousin you hear from every few years and when you do everything is a 180 from the last time you talked :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Little car advice in here...Anything else in the Pathfinder/Highlander size range we should check out? The snapchat group recommended Lexus GX but we ran out of time today. Main thing is we need to fit a 32Lx42Wx31H dog crate in the back and want under 20" door sill height so the dog can jump in easily. Ruled out Sorento, Santa Fe, CX9 and a few others. Nothing domestic and third row seating seems like most have the space.

Yeah check out the Lexus and don't let high mileage scare you away if it's in good condition, they run forever.

Register with the Lexus website and you can run any Lexus VIN for free to see it's service history.

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Thankfully Home Depot is only a couple of miles for me. Still annoying as gently caress.

My HD is a 10 minute walk away. I usually ride my skateboard and people look at me weird when i'm walking around the store with it

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

I was looking into buying a used FR-S not long ago until I heard how bad on gas they are :(

Ha, my wife is getting ready to buy a 5.0 Genesis if you wanna talk about lovely mileage :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slurry_curry posted:

Worse than the ls430? I average ~14mpg, granted that is 99% city driving in traffic. We drive so little tho it doesn't really matter. I have to fill the tank maybe every 2-3 weeks.

About the same really, but she drives about 50 miles a day to work and back so it ain’t cheap putting gas in these things lol. She likes her V8 sedans so what are you gonna do, she makes good money so she can have her gas guzzler :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slurry_curry posted:

I still love my ls430, but I have a feeling it might be going away soon. My wife wants a suv, so I am picking up a 2007-2009 rx350 which will be the primary kid hauler. We barely drive, so we really don't need 2 big comfy luxury cars, so I am probably going to swap it for something a bit more fun that will pretty much be my car.

She ended up getting an LS460 today, glad she decided on another Lexus :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Queen Combat posted:

Hey, you ever eat something and, like, 30 minutes later you're sitting there going, "It is a perfect 50/50 split as to whether this passes or I spend the next three days recovering from food poisioning?"

The last time (and hopefully last) I got food poisoning I ended up in the hospital severely dehydrated, and sucked down a couple bags of IV. The doctor told me the next time I feel like I might be getting it again to just start chugging water as much as you can until it passes. Not sure if it will prevent it from happening but it will help.

slurry_curry posted:

Nice! I kinda wanted a ls460 when I got my ls430, but they were a bit out of my price range at the time. How is it to drive?

Haven't driven it yet, but my wife said it blew away the Genesis she was considering so she nabbed it. There weren't many 460's in our price range so this one turned out to be a great deal.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

keykey posted:

Sounds fun... I had a dog that had demodectic mange, but that was easily controllable, she just smelled like a bag of death for the first month and a half because of 3 vet misdiagnosis and finally a proper one from a vet that was a bigger bag of assholes than what my dog smelled like. She wanted me to take her to a dermatologist and have all sorts of tests done and such, when I inquired about how much it would cost she said about 30k-40k over the lifetime of the animal when I asked her what her quality of life would be, she said terrible. So I said, okay, then I'll elect to have her put down since this is just going to be a poo poo show for her and would be the more humane thing to do. The vet then screamed in my face and berated me for 1 minute about how terrible a pet owner I was and how dare I think about putting my dog down, when I was walking out to take her to another vet to have her put down, because of the previous conversation she said quickly "Ivomec. Giver her Ivomec and that should take care of her." I found it at a local feed store for $25 and the bottle lasted the lifetime of the dog. Shittiest vet I've ever used in my life, fortunately, she's out of business, I can only guess why...

Jesus Christ. My last vet experience (and bill) is the reason I don't have cats anymore. It's a racket and you don't know who to trust.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have an electrical/wiring question for some of you electrical smarty pants lighting guys....I just purchased two OEM LED front bumper day time running lights for my xB, the problem is there is no OEM harness in my car so I have to buy a harness or make one. I'd rather not make one.

https://www.ebay.com/i/332475690545?chn=ps

I have no clue if this is barely adequate or perfectly fine. I'm assuming I would need two of them, one for each light?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sgt Fox posted:

Description states it can handle 5A of current. That most likely isn't enough for two LED running lights. What are the specs on your lights?

I have no idea that's the problem, neither ebay or any other sites list the specs. And I'm not home right now so I can't check to see if there's any info on the light itself although I don't remember seeing any. This is what I got, a left and a right.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113411616881

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My car is a 2012, but the lights come from 2013 - 2015 model year cars. Thanks man.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I have one (if I can find it lol) I can check when I get home, I'm at work right now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sgt Fox posted:

If you are going to measure with a multimeter, put it in DC amp mode and switch the leads. Put the meter in line with the light and measure the current flowing through.

As for that module, I was assuming he just wanted it to turn the lights on while the car was running, the yellow dimming wire was optional. Those OEM units may not support dimming anyway.

Good question.....I'm assuming they do, don't most oem LED DRLs dim when the light are turned on? I don't think any of them just turn off do they? This is weird, nobody has done what I'm doing apparently because there's literally no information in any of the Scion forums about anyone else doing it.

Looking at the lights it says nothing on them but the part number and 12v lol. I found my multi meter (left on with dead battery) set it to ohms and all it's doing is flashing some numbers then going to 1 every time, so I don't know. I don't want to risk frying these because they weren't cheap.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh no one said anything about using a battery like that, if I get the leads backwards am I gonna risk frying the lights with that method? There are no markings for positive or negative on the lights.....Unfortunately I had to rob my smoke detector of it's 9v to power the multimeter and don't have another 9v at the moment.

I found another harness that may work better, this one has all kinds of features

https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-Uni...S14MBEZG1VCR2CF

And this one looks of good quality, however it just shuts off the DRLs when the headlights come on

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IFWNSFI/ref=psdc_15730351_t3_B010NEO5HQ

So I guess I'm gonna need to figure out if the lights support dimming as well before I buy one of these harnesses yay

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Shut up Meg posted:

That first controller you listed will do the job just fine unless the DRLs are something weird that draws more current that it could support.

It's piss-simple to install as long as you are competent enough to join two wires together.

If you want further reassurance, post a photo of the DRL so we can see the connectors - but you can test the polarity with a 9V battery - heck if you have a 5v USB power with accessible wires, you can use that too

Ok, I just wanted to make sure I didn't get something inadequate that could eventually ruin the lights, I'm perfectly capable of doing the install no issues there. I could have easily gone cheaper with aftermarket LEDs but I wanted the OEM look so of course it's gonna cost more, these lights were $100 a piece.

Pic of connector:

Adiabatic posted:

I'm no expert but I'd wager a guess that it has to do with the depletion zone width, which can vary depending on the density of the dopant for both the p and n junctions.

Lol wat :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Got some new 9v batteries and did this, but was getting all kinds of inconsistent numbers flashing and then it going back to 1 where it started.

I don't know if it's the lovely free HF multimeter I got years ago or what, but now I gotta go to work yay.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sgt Fox posted:

What exact operation do you want these lights to exhibit? When do you want them on, off or dim? Can you take a picture of your multimeter and I'll try to explain why it might be reading weird. As for your load, if the lights were 25W (which would be quite powerful for LED), you would have a current draw of ~2A each, which still puts you under 5A. Again, explain how you'd like them to operate and we can go from there.

I want them to be on whenever the ignition is on, bright as possible during the day so all the idiot drivers around here can see me clearly. But then they need to dim when I turn on the headlights so they don't overpower the headlights, or turn off completely if they don't support dimming. I guess I could start a thread in one of the scion forums (bleh) and maybe somebody can tell me how theirs works so i can figure out which harness to buy.

But say they are not dimable and I install them with a dimming harness just to see if it works, it wouldn't hurt the lights if it doesn't work would it? Then I could just remove the lead for the dimmer.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sgt Fox posted:

Either of those modules should be suitable, I like the fancy one with the harnesses already personally, but its also can only handle 2.5A, whereas the first one was 5A. Personally, I would test the lights' current draw with a multimeter and either a battery charger or car battery first, to make sure you are not exceeding the current rating.

I'm at work and it's dead so I've been searching around teh internets and found this "current calculator", could it apply to my lights as well?

https://learn.adafruit.com/rgb-led-strips/current-draw

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sgt Fox posted:

You will have to move the red wire to the 10A port on the top as well.

This is where i hosed up, will try it again. I very rarely use a multimeter for anything so I feel like a dumbass whenever i do. The last time I used it (the same POS) I was trying to figure out something with a switch on my last Protege and it was giving me all kinds of wonky readings. Finally someone (I think Kastein) said to put a fresh battery in it and then it worked fine lol.

Would probably help if I had a non lovely multimeter.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

That's part of the magic. They don't stick out. They don't increase your heart rate when you see them, or when you first drive them. But then, over time, you notice that they do everything well. Not perfectly, but really, really well. And there are no compromises. And the lack of compromises is what grows on you, as you have a car that does everything you want it to, without wanting anything other than basic maintenance.

My wife just upgraded from her 430 to a 460, it's a 2011, the thing is immaculate and still smells new.

That's another thing about Lexus is most owners tend to take REALLY good care of them. This one was pampered.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sgt Fox posted:

You will have to move the red wire to the 10A port on the top as well. Connect one red lead to your power source (battery +), connect one of your LED terminals to battery -, and connect the black lead to the other pin on your LED. The LED should illuminate, and the meter should read the current, I would expect under 2A. If it doesn't light up, swap the pins on the LED (obviously if you know what pin on the led is negative, connect it to the battery -). Someone earlier posted a simple diagram of this.

Ok I did this and the light illuminated, but the reading just stayed at 1 and didn't change at all. Does this mean the it's under 1A?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sgt Fox posted:

Something seems odd. It would at least say 1.00A if it was 1A. It will still measure under an amp in that mode, but with less resolution.

Yeah my bad, it's reading 0.01 and doesn't change when the light is illuminated. Either this multimeter is no good or it's under .01A

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Shut up Meg posted:

It are hosed.

Ok, I went to home depot and got a real multimeter. It started at 0.00, hooked it up, light illuminated and it read......0.01 lol.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mewse posted:

I've seen one at the Evergreen museum in Oregon. The most striking thing at the time was that it was dwarfed by the spruce goose sitting beside it, lol

When I was in the AF I put gas in one while on a TDY assignment in Okinawa. The fuel hose is handed to the crew chief through a hole in the hangar door so I didn't see much :v:

Got to see it take off tho so that was cool.

[e] that story was awesome haha

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 13, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mewse posted:

Apparently they were leaky messes on the ground because all the seals were designed for extremely high altitude? Or am I thinking of a different plane

You're right, fuel leaked out of it but I didn't get to see that. It used JP7 which has a super high flashpoint so it wasn't a big deal. We used to hear stories about people putting out cigarettes with it. All other jets got JP4.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

And its pretty easy if you're tired of the hate. Protip: avoid the news and any kind of politics at every turn.

Fixed :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slidebite posted:

So we got an instant pot for Christmas, tried it twice with instant pot recipes and they both sucked. Anyone have a recipe which doesn't suck?

Funny you should ask, I just got a new rice cooker the other day (a Zojirushi) and tried a chicken teriyaki one pot meal that was pretty good. I tweaked the recipe tho. It calls for shrimp but I substituted chicken, marinaded the chicken in soy sauce and seared it before going in the pan, and caramelized the onions with the garlic as well. Turned out really tasty but a bit mushy so I have to adjust the water next time. Not bad for the first thing I ever cooked in it.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/rice-cooker-teriyaki-shrimp-and-rice/

I also used half the sugar for the sauce at the end. You're gonna have to experiment with rice to water ratios to get it just right, every type of rice grain is different, so is the way every different brand of pot cooks so it's a learning curve there. Some recipes call for putting in raw meat and that's just a bad idea unless you love bland food imo, you gotta season and sear that poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

FAO: CAT INTERCEPTOR (and anyone else who's seen the previous 2 of these rad as gently caress films)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsSPMDe_YWY

Love the Morpheus cameo :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh man I don't think I've seen 2 then, gonna have to correct that :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slidebite posted:

It's neat and I suppose does what it does, but I'm not sure if it's going to be a go-to appliance for me for anything in particular unless find some kick rear end recipes for the drat thing.

That's why I went with a good rice cooker over an instant pot, I'm going to use it mainly for rice anyway and apparently instant pots don't cook rice all that well compared to a good Japanese rice cooker. Being able to cook a few one pot recipes is just a bonus really. I'm just stoked that I can perfectly and easily cook any type of rice i want to now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

blindjoe posted:

I had fancy rice cookers and just use the instant pot every time now.
I thought it could take the slow cooker off my counter (I had a slow cooker and a rice cooker) but it replaced the rice cooker.
I now have a Zojirushi and a Tiger in the cupboard. The rice comes out crazy fluffy each time, and sushi rice comes out perfect without taking the 40+ mins that the zojirushi took in "Sushi" mode. Im part Japanese, so its not like I haven't eaten my share of rice. The "Rice" button on the instant pot doesn't get used, but really neither do any of those other useless buttons. I just google "Instant pot rice time" every time for the manual high pressure settings.

To each their own I'm sure.

Huh that's weird, all the reviews i was reading were saying to get a rice cooker and pass on the insta pot if you cook lots of rice. Maybe they were doing it wrong by pressing the RICE button? Lol.

It's fine because I'm mainly interested in cooking rice and not really worried about making meals in it. I used to cook all my rice in the oven so I'm sure I'll be using a lot less energy too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Yes, 2+ days are no problem. Good rice cookers can easily keep it warm/fresh for many days. They are specifically made to do so.

That's good to know, gonna have to take advantage of that!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

keykey posted:

Will Chat: Even with all the will and legal stuff in the world, it can't save you from a hosed up family member if the person that's passed/ing away is elderly and isn't lucid but appears as such. My wife's grandma just got super hosed a year and a half ago by her brother after taking advantage of their mom via being named executor of the will and other horseshit.

Being named executor can be an advantage the other way around so none of the worthless twats get anything. We always talk about how when my wife's mother dies her son and all her grandchildren who rarely speak to her will have their hand out over her grave. Good thing my wife will have complete control so she can tell them all to gently caress off.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone else have owls in their yards? For some reason screech owls love my yard, I always run into them doing yard work and they are loving fearless, I'll be pruning a tree with a sawzall right next to it and it won't budge. I've put a camera right up to their face and they just sit there not giving any fucks. I'm tempted to try and pet one because they are so cute but i don't want talons in my face :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Queen Combat posted:

They're the type of parents that danced around the "L word" growing up, didn't hug/etc

Same here, never had any kind of real relationship with them, but then when my son was born they decided they cared and wanted to be all involved in his life and were up my rear end every other day to spend time with him. To late for that, gently caress off.

Don't feel guilty in the slightest, you owe them nothing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow the Saints just got robbed of a trip to the superbowl. Never want to see a game decide by the refs, but in a championship game it's just bad.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

A no call on pass interference makes up for a dozen non call late hits on an old man years ago. gently caress the saints, its karma.

Lol. I don't really care who won or lost, it just sucks to see the refs decide the game like that either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

shy boy from chess club posted:

I thought he might be talking about the game against the Vikings. Farvres last game ever. The Saints beat the crap out of him for no good reason. gently caress them forever for that.

Eh, that was almost a decade ago, the coach responsible was fired and they are a completely different team now. Pretty sure the only player still on the team since then is Drew Brees.

Ether Frenzy posted:

If one non-call is the difference between winning and losing, it wasn't one call that was the difference maker. Saints still had to score a TD whether that call is made or not, and they'd been shut down in the red zone two other times in the game so it's not like a TD was a foregone conclusion.

That being said, lol at that not being a flag.

I understand that part of it, but you can't deny that non call cost the Saints the game because if it was called, (like it should have) all the Saints had to do was run out the clock and it was over. The refs already put out a statement admitting they hosed up.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 21, 2019