Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just watched it after catching up on S1 over the weekend. This show is extremely good and I love how S2 started.

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Speaking of lifting, I only picked up the show recently and I really love how the Body Improvement Club low-key seems to embody all of the show's ideals. Mob's big, swole, happily self-actualized bros.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Huh, it's still not on MAL. Don't think I've seen it mentioned at Sakugablog or any of the other outlets I usually frequent. Weird, you'd think that'd be nailed down for now with a big popular shounen piece.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Good episodic poo poo today. Reigen Saikou.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not sure I'm emotionally prepared for the next one...:ohdear:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The villains in S1 were pretty chuuni and childish, to the point where Reigen even explicitly calls them out as such in the finale. Their actions are hurting people, sure, but that's not their main goal, their main goal is just to make other people acknowledge themselves as the coolest and strongest dudes around. That's toxic and dangerous and needs to be stopped but there's a fundamental childishness to it that renders it impotent in some ways. I get the impression that Mogami is much more specifically focused on and dedicated to cruelty for its own sake, which makes him a very different and much more threatening opponent than Mob has had to face thus far, IMO.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

:stare:

That episode was loving spectacular, holy poo poo. What the gently caress does the rest of the season even do after that?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

These changes sound like they're for the best, tbh. Especially given the time constraints a TV show has to operate under.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

KomeradeCanadian posted:

Is it just me or did it seem like Mob destroyed the entire world they were trapped in?

I mean, nobody was using it...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Internet Sex Symbol Reigen Arataka

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

3.) Single-handedly kicked the asses of Claw's top mofos.

I say this as Big Time Reigen Admirer

Are we sure that counts as "single-handed?"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mob, Saikou. This show's the best thing airing right now and nobody else is even close. Showing Mob and Reigen's meeting again from Reigen's perspective was an obvious move but still crazy effective. And the end of the episode was, of course, perfection.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

That's where the scene originally appeared in the manga, so if anything Bones moving it to the first season and showing it from Mob's perspective only to recontextualise it from Reigen's here was the perfect long con on Bones' part.

Oh, wow, yeah, that's some impressive adaptation work

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mob....

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

The problem is when he hits ???%. THEN bad poo poo is happening. And...that's our current situation, yeah. Poor Mob.

Not necessarily. He was about to be overwhelmed by the spirits Mogami had unleashed before he hit ???%, but then he defeated them, briefly became an almost angelic figure, and saved the day no fuss. So ???% might not be a strictly bad thing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kild posted:

Theres only 10 chapters left after the presumed ending of S2. Theres not more than 6 or 7 episodes of material even if you include some omake stuff.

Could do a movie?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

A single character shouldn't be allowed to be listed on more than two ships IMHO.

At least for top-ten purposes

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Raserys posted:

fight! on! fight! on!

:911:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah, even down to the reactions of both of them being blushy and starry-eyed when hearing wisdom from their Shishou, with a third party of Dimple and Shimazaki in disbelief. It's just the wisdom is Be A Selfish Person, That's All.

Oh, I like this angle.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Real world people generally don't lead psychic takeovers of government buildings but there are real people who are incapable of parsing the concerns of other human beings as a thing that they should think about or care about beyond how they can extract value from them, and I'm pretty sure that is what Boss Claw is going for.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Reigen gonna fuckin' shoot someone dead.

Anyway the whole fight with Teleporter-kun was just stupendous. S1 was good but this one's been on a whole other level. It's nuts.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

That has to have been an inspiration, right? It would surprise me if ONE and the animators didn't have the Mother series on their mind to some degree.

Not necessarily - they could share a common inspiration that pre-dates Mother. Like how a fair amount of stuff people attribute to Evangelion actually dates back to older Tokusatsu or Kaiju stuff that inspired Anno.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Teru having abominable fashion sense is the best recurring gag that none of the characters ever acknowledge outright.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Perfection

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

skaianDestiny posted:

Good thing Bones decided to not be dicks and have the same sort of cliffhanger as season 1 right?

Would've been a mistake, lol. I believed them in S1, I sure wouldn't have believed here.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also I like that, after Mob got to face Mogami as kind of an anti-mob, Toichiro is pretty clearly a sort of anti-Reigen. Though this does make me wish that his and Reigen's confrontation had been more decisive.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

I do like that since Reigen just beat a Psychic with BRUTE FORCE he thought he could it again.

That bit lands so much better having come right off the back of it actually loving working, yeah.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh wow. I remembered the Broccoli explosion, of course, but I'd forgotten about it coming from the heart. Wild.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Look if Bones stops making My Hero Academia, they'll have the time and money for Mob Psycho 100 III. So we just have to get MHA cancelled, one of the hottest properties in Shonen Jump. Can't be that hard, right?

But then there won't be any more MHA

I suspect the rest of Mob will get adapted sooner or later anyway tbh, the show itself seems pretty popular and I've gotten the impression that top animators really like the IP - it's obviously built up a reputation as an animators' showcase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Mob director and a lot of key talent from Mob do have another show lined up at Studio Nut right now, but I'd be reasonably surprised if they don't revisit the franchise after that.