Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Snorlax was lucky, but that first sectoid encounter wasn't!

This was kinda shown during the mission, though you probably didn't notice. Their Mind Spin ability has a range of outcomes, the most severe of which is mind control. It caused Snorlax to panic near the end. It can also be resisted entirely.

Tip for dealing with zombies: Killing the sectoid kills the zombie.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Some notes on Sectoid behavior:

The Sectoid prioritizes using its special abilities over its weapon, unless it has a flanking shot. Mindspin has a one turn cool down. This means that after using Mindspin, it will almost always spend a turn raising a zombie if a body is availabile. So you usually have some breathing room if the results of the Mindspin weren't too bad. For a while, Sectoids would "waste" a turn raising a zombie even if they had a flanking shot on an injured enemy until a patch changed this.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I cringed on seeing you immediately go for blast padding.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Bremen posted:

You think "Blood Point" is bad, I once had to defend the resistance haven of "Humanity Falls". Like, did you guys let the Faceless name the town or something?

Twenty eight minutes in, you run an overwatch shot. Your logic about the soldier already being injured and healed was sound, but you also could have used combat protocol to zap the Viper for 2 damage and force it out of overwatch.

Haywire and Revival Protocol are both really good. Haywire is also tons of fun, though, so I'm glad you took it.

LPers don't read this one: Them musing about what could happen with the skulljack is hilarious.

Has it occurred during the LP that damage disables overwatch?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

GeneX posted:

Ignoring the mission for the moment:

I really, really think it would be a good idea to use the new open space to get the "bring a 5th person along" room. Like, maximizing your action economy is strategy game 101, and having an extra person along sounds very, very helpful.

I agree, get the GTS up as soon as your power plant is done.

I'd also try to go for the extra resistance contact on the geoscape after you're done contacting the current region. Extra resistance contacts are a valuable resource that lasts the whole game, and random geoscape events disappear after a time.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 14, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Affi posted:

I thought we weren't telling them what to do?

The way I see based on how this thread is going is that if we give advice, we try to make sure it's based on things that have happened during the course of the LP.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Affi posted:

Personal reflection is that some are awesome (acid grenade) while some are borderline worthless fire grenades

I like the latter a lot for shutting down enemies with melee attacks. And even though they’re immune to the DoT effect, the initial explosion still damages and shreds robots.

Though I’ve never though of a situation where I’d want to bring poison grenades to a mission.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The mission is looking good so far. I was hoping they'd try using the frost bomb on the codex and then discover that it does indeed prevent codex cloning, but they talked themselves out of it. I have some doubts they'll ever discover their weakness to flashbangs, blue screen rounds, or EMP grenades.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 20, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Fun fact about the black site I can spoil now: The enemies at the blacksite scale to the ones you’re currently facing, but the inside of the building always has a MEC accompanied by two regular troopers, no matter how early or late you attack. You may have noticed that ADVENT troopers are gaining more health, but the troopers inside that building will always be the wimpy early game ones.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I feel like you didn't notice, the arc blade is a straight-up damage upgrade over swords. The ionic axe is a similar upgrade to the axe that you also get from the stun lancer autopsy. The axe is one of the DLC hunter weapons you canonically found instead of built, and while you can't replicate the original, you can upgrade it with new technologies.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 27, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Affi posted:

P sure you can't sell it.

Can someone tell me why they aren't using it? It is superior to a normal sword right?

They bought the arc blade and axe at the same time, and found they didn't have enough supplies to upgrade the axe. They just got supplies again, but they had more pressing upgrades first.

Edit: Regular hunter axe does have the same damage as the arc blade, and the throwing ability is almost certainly superior to the small stun chance, but I can see not being sure of that.

I don't think this needs to be spoiled because all the numbers are there, but I'll respond in kind.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 6, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

GeneX posted:

That's def fair, I just think they really want the extra item slot from predator armor asap, and don't think they'll be willing to wait to do the facility mission if they can do it immediately. Admittedly, I don't know their timings rn so I might be overcautious/underestimating Nat and Tea.

Also yeah no worries, I was a bit rude myself!

It’s going to be fun when they research that and see the extra item slot on all their guys. I don’t recall if the research screen hints at that.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I think a character has to move more than one tile to trigger overwatch.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Hey, you have a bigger than usual research project about to wrap up. Maybe consider how many supplies you might need to build what it gives you. You'll have about 400 if this next mission goes well, so I'm sure you can spend something and still get it, but I guess I can't tell you how much.

Also, you got your first continent bonus, and here's how continent bonuses work! There was a voiceover mentioning this, but you didn't seem to consider it or look into it. This info is all stuff that's available now, but I'll spoiler it if you want to go full groping-in-the-dark mode. To get a continent bonus, you need to contact every region in a continent and build a minimum number of radio towers in it. The number of radio towers is shown by the of little circles next to the little bars that show how many regions you've contacted. South America needed one, so you got the bonus when you finished contacting New Chile. North America needs two, but you already have one for free in the starting zone. You can now see the name of the bonus the continent offers, and you can get an explanation of the bonus by mousing over it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

anilEhilated posted:

This one I typically do once I get the magnetic weapons so I have no idea how badly it scales if left alone - do the enemies get tougher? That being said, they've got colonels now, it should be fine as long as they bring maketheboxlonger Emi.

Advent units, including MECs, have advanced and elite varieties, as do Specters in WotC. Other aliens don’t.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

anilEhilated posted:

I rather suspect it's going to take them another thirty videos to use it.

During which time they'll wonder aloud why everyone was pushing them so hard to get smoke bombs.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In case you were wondering, the Berserker Queen's abilities were an AoE earthquake that can stun, and a roar that can cause panic.

This isn't a spoiler, more of an under-the-hood thing, but the mysterious unkilled enemy was a turret, likely on the engine. If you don’t encounter it, you don’t have to kill it.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 4, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Also not a fan of the decision to upgrade the psi amp instead of the cannon when both the free and first chosen power aren't modified by it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Dead Reckoning posted:

I can't believe the frost bomb works on Gatekeepers and Sectopods. Does it work on Avatars? because that's the other thing I can see absolutely murdering them if they don't have a fine grasp of squad action management by the time they run into it.

Yes for Avatars.

But frost grenades have a reduced effect on Sectopods. I think they only remove one or two of the former's their three actions and one of the gatekeeper's. I think it might be little randomized.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
You used the SPARK's rocket in the Towers, and it did indeed shred armor, but whatever you used it on also died instantly, so it didn't matter.

Also, the skill that boosts grenade damage boosts rocket damage.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Are we going to tell them about continent bonuses? They've gotten one and were like "oh cool" when they got it, but they didn't seem to think about it. The one in North America, which they could get if they built one more radio tower, decreases black market costs, which is very good! But since they don't seem to have any paths to Europe or Africa from North America, they probably won't "accidentally" get the bonus by building another tower there.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Consider that just researching the plot only opened up new objectives, and new enemies didn't appear until you did plot stuff in the field, and that researching the plot now may not really delay you getting new upgrades, since if you research them right away, you'll still need lots of supplies to implement them.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
No non-spoiler way to tell them to save their cores for Experimental Powered Weapons :sigh:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
They're a bit short on supplies at the moment, so whether they research new toys or research the plot, they won't be able to buy new toys right away.

I often find myself so fixated on researching upgrades that I do plot stuff all at the end, and it feels a bit awkward.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 28, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Codex data is the last thing that'll lead to a new objective that'll reduce Avatar progress, with the stasis suit, portal, and Avatar autopsy just unlocking the final mission.

Lprsti99 posted:

:cripes: Every single time they run across a new nasty, I think they're gonna finally get their comeuppance.

Unless they use their important items beforehand, I don't think the surprise Avatar will give them much trouble either

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm not upset no one is getting killed. I just want them to see the aliens use their special attacks.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
They still haven't looked into or talked about continent bonuses. They've gotten two without really thinking about them. I bring it up because they bought stuff with intel while North America has an unclaimed bonus that decreases black market intel costs.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Try out the SPARK cowards.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Codexes have an unusual blend of both mechanical and organic strengths and weaknesses!

Specifically:
Vulnerable to psychic attacks and flashbangs that affect organic enemies
Bonus damage from blue screen rounds and EMP grenades
No bonus damage from Combat Protocol or Capacitor Discharge
Cannot be hacked
Immunity to all damage-over-time effects

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 16, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I think it's fun how they roll their eyes at Andromedons but still hold Shieldbearers in awe and fear. Has an Andromedon ever gotten an acid grenade off?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

ManlyGrunting posted:

How much more is there to this game anyway? I never got far because my rinky-dink laptop couldn't really handle it.

This and one other plot mission, a special skulljack objective after they complete their one currently available shadow project, three shadow projects based on the loot they get from those plot missions, and a mini-mission immediately followed by the big final mission.

Plus anything that pops up while all that is being researched, and any time to get all the continent bonuses.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Hey, an Archon actually got to use Blazing Pinions. I don't want anything bad to happen, I just want you guys to actually see everything in the game. So I'm also happy you've gotten to see the Gatekeeper's Consume in a roundabout way.

I think the Chrysalid's eternally pregnant sac is the one thing we haven't seen.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

anilEhilated posted:

Aren't those WotC only? Mind you, at this point it wouldn't even slow them down.

Nope, there were no changes to Chrysalids in the expansion. The shift from zombies to cocoons happened between games.

I don't think they'll let the chrysalids get their guys. Them killing civilians is much more likely.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Here’s a suggestion because I want you guys to see as much as possible: switch the proving grounds project to a WAR suit.

I thought cocoons spit out three chrysallids, but it seems only two came out?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
If you’re going to do a turkey shoot, use supplies to buy SPARK upgrades, cowards.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Fwoderwick posted:

Step 1. Sell everything not nailed down at the black market
Step 2. Robot

turol posted:

1. Upgrade PSI lab.
2. Train more magi.
3. Ultimate POWERRRR!

These are all good options. Also I forget, did we get all the GTS upgrades? Get on that, if not.

And they never really figured out continent bonuses

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Things you missed and can't go back and get!

Continent bonuses! Each of the six continents (Oceania counts as one) has a random bonus they pick at a pool at the beginning of the game that you can see once you get Resistance Radio. You get these by contacting every region on a continent and building a number of radio towers on them, one for South America, Europe, and Oceana and two for Africa, Asia, and Notth America. You can find out what the bonuses are by mousing over the name of it. Quid Pro Quo in North America would have reduced intel costs at the black market. Below the bonus is a bar divided into sections, representing each region, with one or two small circles, representing the number of towers you need to build to activate the bonus.

The battlefield medicine foundry project would give +2 healing to every medkit charge. Just kind of skipped that one.

You weren't lucky enough to get the best, imo, powered heavy weapon: the blaster launcher. It's an upgraded version of the rocket, taking the form of a floaty sphere of energy. It has upgraded damage and area of effect, but it's most notable feature is how it floats around corners, so you don't need to find a good firing angle or anything. More useful I think, but it doesn't beat the shredstorm cannon for gratuitous environmental destruction.

I don't remember what ammo you got besides fire and venom, but there's also tracer (increased accuracy), armor piercing (ignores a few points of armor), and talon rounds (increased crit chance and damage).

The defense facility is indeed only used once or twice at most if at all, but it's cool when you do and you get a game over if you lose those missions. Two turrets at your start position; four with and upgraded facility, that can fire twice and have squadsight! They can fire four times if an engineer is staffed when the Avenger is attacked. Their accuracy falls off pretty quickly, but since the EMP spike is an environmental object, they will always hit it if a squad member is close enough for squadsight.

Letting the Avatar counter fill doesn't end the game right away. Instead it starts a 30-day doomsday counter, during which time you have to reduce the Avatar progress or then you get a game over. Progress on the Doomsday clock is not reset if you hit it multiple times on a play through unless you cut it realy close, and it isn't reset by a lot.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 4, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
California's epic turn was due to a combination of Icarus Jump being a free action and the QuickDraw skill allowing you to take a second action after firing a pistol as your first. Oddly, I think Fan Fire counts for that while Faceoff doesn't.

The Sectopod's leg extension is a free action that grants it a height advantage for aiming at lower targets while making it a bigger, easier-to-hit target. It also allows it to fiddle with the angle of its Wrath Cannon. After spending an action to warm up, it shoots an extra-wide plasma blast to damage enemies in a line.
It also has the ability to do an electric pulse to damage enemies around it, as if its death explosion wasn't deterrent enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Heres a bit of info you never found out that may have significantly changed how you went about the game: If the Avatar bar is filled, you don't immediately lose the game! Instead, it activates a big scary countdown of approximately one month, during which you must reduce Avatar progress somehow, and you'll lose if that runs down. Any time lost on the doomsday clock is not reset if you enter that period multiple times per play through. There might be some minimum value, I can't recall. I saw this during a video of some promo copy they gave to some big XCOM LPer; and it significantly affected how I went about my first play through.

Also, continent bonuses. You got one or two, but never put thought into them. To get them, you need to contact every region and set up a certain number of radio towers, one for smaller continents and two for ones with 3 or 4 regions. After getting Resistance Radio the names of these bonuses (which are picked from a pool each play through) appear by the continents and you can mouse over them for more info. It also displays a bar divided into sections for each region and dots for each radio tower you need. I saw a bonus for decreasing black market costs, can't recall what the others were. With the increasing supply cost of each radio tower, do you think you would have went for them?

Minor things you never got to see:
A buff to health kits in the proving grounds got lost in between all the other projects.
RNG did not see fit to bless you with the best powered heavy weapon: the Blaster Launcher. An upgraded rocket with greater damage and AoE, but best of all it takes the form of a floaty sphere of energy that can steer around corners, meaning you don't have to worry about positioning at all for it!
He defense facility is fun. The turrets it provides get squad sight and can fire twice per turn, four with a staffed engineer. Upgrade the facility, and you get four of them. They don't get a height advantage and their aim isn't great, so the squad sight aim penalty hurts, but they can always hit the EMP device. Only used once or twice per campaign, if at all, but it's a mission you NEED to win.