Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Why don't you build a weapon that does everything the previous weapon did... and more?
Well, changes and evolution don't necessarily happen that fast and straightforwardly (or even reasonably), and then there's weight, overengineering, overfiddliness, loss of specialization, logistical cost, and so on.

and, well, this is XCOM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

:allears:

Pierre Bosquet posted:

C’est magnifique, mais ce n’est pas la guerre: c'est de la folie.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

The exact way in which XCOM abstracts cover and line of sight can take a bit to wrap your head around, even with active, deliberate observation. Discard any thoughts of "I can totally poke around this corner and shoot that guy in the molecule" that shooters may have taught!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

I dunno if the varied results of your first contacts with a strategy game that's deliberately stressful, high pressure, and possibly attempting to hold your head under the water at the deep end conclusively means you're not good at strategy games.

Think you're up for interpreting some Brigadors into the character creator?
Hugh 'The Motherfucker' Armbruster
Phil Bromlin
The Auditor
Man 'from' Volta

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Natural 20 posted:

BUT IT'S CALIFORNIA MUSTANG!
For all the bugs, unintuitive bits, inadequately explained bits, and usability problems, XCOM's real good at getting players invested in whatever inevitably-bizarre emergent narrative they wind up creating in it.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Nordick posted:

I've been expecting that "surprise civilian" moment. :allears:
You guys basically got the cops called on you.
It is sort of hinted at if you see the small detection area around civilians in advent-controlled areas, but I don't remember if that had ever come up and got noticed before.

Not to excuse, of course, actual bugs and usability problems and unintuitive and/or very important fundamental things that go unexplained like

Mr. Vile posted:

The game doesn't exactly spell this out and it's incredibly useful to know to the point that I would call it a core game mechanic: Overwatch breaks if you get hit. You had a perfect opportunity to get a guaranteed 2 damage on that last enemy with Enemy Protocol and break their Overwatch before Funky slashed its face off.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

I mean. Given what you knew at the time, and more freely experimental play being somewhat discouraged by the combined shadows of :xcom: cascade failures and ironman looming over you...

I certainly wouldn't call it a digging-a-trench-with-a-spoon situation.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Lprsti99 posted:

Definitely don't cut out the Geoscape IMO, watching you guys make... interesting choices :flashfact::flashfact: is half the fun.
Yeah all the talking through the decisions and reasoning has been real good, there's no problems with any sort of dead air.
For coherence, I think option 1, or even Gnoman's suggestion.

FoolyCharged posted:

The WoTC lp that is going on right now is at update 44 and near the end of the game as well
If you're wondering why the thread still doesn't think you're in a death spiral, things can slip to an alarming degree but still be recoverable from in XCOM. In the other LP, the doomsday clock actually started counting down, but was then halted.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Whew, nothing like a minimally-guided blind LP with at least decent tactical chops to demonstrate XCOM as a razor-edged dance with death, loss, and failure.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Excellent work, all of you!

Swords have, uh, kinda turned into Nat's shoulder devil here, haven't they? "Come on, run up and stab this fool, it'll be great!"

The tone of this LP has taken a turn from Emi to California Mustang. Will it hold out?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Is there anyone who DOESN'T take spite potshots from extraction? That seems to be a very standard XCOM skill/habit development.

jng2058 posted:

I gotta admit, it's pretty amusing to watch you guys logic out some of these things.
The thinky-thinky bits are one of the best parts of this!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Remember when a single cascade was a horrific disaster? And now it can happen back and forth a few times, but so far, you're handling it!

FoolyCharged posted:

the game never tells you about
I am thinking that with the combination of the blind format and the desire to present the game in a decent and timely manner, it might help to take some time aside without advancing the game or anything and just... absorb everything that's going on in the strategic layer UI. Because the game itself isn't helping anymore at this point, and this LP is halfway towards being a usability test anyways.

Doobie Keebler posted:

Also, you need to embrace the goofy ruler armor.
Think of it this way: You were already all-in on goofiness when you took goon character submissions.

Natural 20 posted:

I want to be teleporting about and having witch time
YISUN ATRU VYAM. Forgive me for this violence which I am about to inflict: You fellas ever seen Warframe?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

I am enjoying how much of Tea's thinking is an effort to compensate for Nat's annihilation impulse.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Well, consider: Dr. Tygan is a man of science*! Now, he could assume that shieldbearers are physiologically the same as the other Advent troops, and to be fair it's probably a pretty safe assumption, or he can investigate properly, confirm it, and be certain.
*also burgers

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Yes, but, clearly there are more kinds of grenades to be developed! Grenades never miss!
Ahh, just as Nat hears the siren song of swords, the grenades, they call to Tea.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Natural 20 posted:

With my favourite piece of editing ever.
:golfclap:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Wonderful!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

When the XCOM experience is all "Pay close attention to the information that the game is presenting you with but sometimes that information is just hosed" I can't fault Tea for being kinda... you know.

Grenades are your very familiar friends by this point! They won't hoist you (probably) - Nat's increasingly bold clicking, though.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

hahaha right after I said you probably won't get hoisted by grenades :allears:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Jesus loving Christ, Sphag.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Bruceski posted:

"I need a name for my gun. I'm not putting anything good into it." -- Yorkshire Tea
:hai:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

The only things that comes immediately to mind for a mission rating system is

D for Dash Was On This One

cuz goddamn

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Clearly the correct choice.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

D tier's always going to be making GBS threads on Dash isn't it?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

GeneX posted:

Ooh, okay, this seems fun, aside from Severa Tier being better suited for "Nat gets bailed out somehow after hilariously screwing up", the best type of episode, I like it
SSS - Severa's Shotgun Surprise
SS - Serial Shanty
S - "SWORD!" ("NO NAT" "SWOOOOOORRRRD")
???
D - Damnit, Dash

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

DAMNIT, DASH.

So, you're thinking of a voicepack, are you?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Pea posted:

Question for the thread: Who was the Aliens' MVP?

For me it was the heavy MEC dodging 4 overwatches to wound 3 soldiers. Even though his actions are insignificant in the long run, it was rather stylish.
Although the stun lancer that took out Dash and caused Nat to panic was a close second though.
Ah, but who whiffed first on that overwatch? Who ate that stun lancer hit?

That's right.

The Heavy MEC's a solid two, the Stun Lancer comes in third.

But Aliens' MVP must go to: Dash 'Goddamn' Rendar

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Woof, I see Dash is still with your newer guys... maybe not in spirit, or The Force... but stank, perhaps.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

It's not that you're not expected to do anything, Tea! You have a stock! That means you're here to compensate for Nat! :v:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Natural 20 posted:

No War of the Chosen though.
If I may make a suggestion?

If you play WotC soon, a one-shot recording of the first proper-new mission of the WotC campaign (it's very early on, but not sure if there's an exact point it pops up). Either as a post-script to this, or perhaps something to throw into the casual LP thread if too much time has passed. I'm very interested in seeing your reaction to the various new things it introduces.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

ManlyGrunting posted:

Frankly it makes sense that this playthrough ended with Shanty Pete double-criting the endboss at point-blank range, I could not have envisioned a better ending.
If both shotguns had come into play at the very end I'd probably be hollerin' about SSSS: Severa and Shanty Shotgun... something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Also, prox mines! You guys should take a peek at its stats next to those of the plasma nade. And then think about what it means for overwatch ambushes and certain grenadier skills.