Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lord Stimperor posted:

What's Berlusconi up to these days?

Probably banging underage girls because what else can he do to pass the time until his ineligibility expires and he gets to reclaim the throne of Italy once more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SlowBloke posted:

making GBS threads on the desk of a nuke equipped country would have been a rather quick way to get glassed in another era....

Which era? Nukes have only been used in anger against Japan in WW2. Inflammatory rhetorics against France, the UK, China, Russia, the USA, India, Pakistan, Israel and North Korea have been ongoing nonstop in various parts of the world without radioactive retaliation.

Besides, Italy is a direct neighbor of France. It's one thing to shower in fallout a country that's on the other side of the world's largest ocean, it's something else when it's just next door.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SlowBloke posted:

I'm not expecting a bomber wing of Mirages 2000N flying over my head anytime soon

You definitely shouldn't: that aircraft type has been retired from service.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kurtofan posted:

Is this about the current feud

Are you implying that they would be refinancing Alitalia if it weren't for the current political slapfight?

I find this hard to believe on account of Air France being perpetually on strike and also crashing their aircraft into the sea on the one day every ten years that they aren't.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Look, if the will of the people isn't an obscure software blackbox that you control where only your die-hard fans are allowed to express themselves and nobody can tell whether or not you fudge the numbers, then I don't know what it is.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Is he kissing a shuriken because of his dear ninja waifu?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SlowBloke posted:

Going for a wide spectrum tech solution to what is a simple human problem that requires common sense to solve seems to be the modern government leitmotif since the early 2k. I could list you all the recent bs they are currently demanding to be applied to us but it would only make me and whoever works in the public sector want to get blackout drunk to forget.

It's not just that, there's a general shift to tech-fueled acedia. "Should I change how I do things? Or should I just wait for some people to invent something that will just magic away the consequences?"

See also: anything related to climate change, biodiversity collapse, rising inequalities, etc.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The translator is from Italy, not from the White House, Trump didn't say "President Mozarella", and the pictures were taken at moments where she focuses on her work even though they look like perfectly memetic expressions of anger, horror and disgust.

Trump did say the ties between America and Italy go back to the Roman empire, though it can be charitably interpreted as a cultural heritage thing. After all, the "founding fathers" were big fans of neoclassic architecture and Roman symbolism, what with completely laughable things like this:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sulla Faex posted:

Alternate history prompt: Trump gets elected 1938

That would have to be Fred Trump, who could barely squeak by if the elections are at the end of the year (he turned 35, the minimum age required to be POTUS, on October 11, 1938). As a Klan sympathizer if not member, he definitely would have allied with the Axis.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SlowBloke posted:

EDIT: in case anyone wanted confirmation that the eu is currently running on "everyone for loving themselves" rules

Healthcare is not among the competences of the EU. Maybe this crisis will change that, because we're seeing that national responses are falling very short of what's needed to tackle the pandemic, and the utter lack of solidarity isn't making things better for anyone.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Yeah, legislation, financial support, exchange of best practices, drug regulation, etc. while countries still "hold primary responsibility for organising and delivering health services and medical care".

And we see the first two priorities are beancounting:

quote:

Achieving greater cost-effectiveness
Competitiveness together with safety

There's very little about crisis response.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
20 seconds in and now I am actually convinced this priest truly is on a mission from God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TorakFade posted:

"lavoro nero" (I don't even know what's the english term - moonlighting? under the table/off the books work?)

"Undeclared work" is what my dictionary tells me. "Moonlighting" AFAIK is more the idea of an undeclared work in addition to a regular occupation.