Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The murderer is Wally west. The stress of being preflashpoint and knowing everything he knew and loved was erased by his father figure got to him.

Lol just kidding it is the reader because are you not entertained!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
"Former War Criminal" is all the experience you need to be a top tier comic book writer

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Madkal posted:

Yea let's not do the whole "I don't like this one book by the creator so everything the creator has ever done is terrible". King's Sheriff of Babylon, Omega Men, Vision, and some issues of Batman have been top notch.

His omega men isn't very good.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The imperialist oppressors are bad, but so are the oppressed.

Edit: Kyle is King. The Omega Men are terrorists King trained in Afghanistan. Citadel is the US military.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 4, 2019

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Archyduchess posted:

Say, maybe he did work for the CIA after all!

Well seeing as the moral of omega men is that the foreigners Vegans will genocide themselves unless america the citadel stops them with enslaving.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Teenage Fansub posted:

DC's on Comixology Unlimited today with a reportedly much better selection than you get with the DC Universe sub (living outside of America, I wouldn't know :()
https://io9.gizmodo.com/dc-comics-is-joining-comixologys-unlimited-subscription-1831573456?IR=T

It is and has more comics. DC in response to DC Universe users asking about this:

DC is also looking to revising the comics they currently have on the service and how to best put them up. It looks like instead of random issues it will be full arcs or stories from here on out, but it does look like the books on DC Universe do not overlap much with Comixology Unlimited.

Of course the users who post are lapping it up and are thrilled to subscribe to another service to read more DC books! One helpful user even said the the comixology model is the way to go so people will buy dc comics through the subscription service.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 8, 2019

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Thranguy posted:

Or just ignore both paid services and find a local library that does Hoopla with a generous monthly limit and go to town; DC trades show up there the Monday after release.

Can I only read 1 issue and buy the rest through the service? If not this is not for me sir and please stop trolling.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Half of the questions will never be answered

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
With Bart back, I hope Max, jessie, and jay come back soon. They rule.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

X-O posted:

I really really really hope this doesn't stick. This just sucks.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/01/15/jonathan-kent-superboy-17-years-old/

Ahahahahaha gently caress off dc and bendis

just dump those meaningless deaths into my trough so i can gobble this up like the swine i am.

https://youtu.be/wRgH7HvmSiE

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Why are we mad about Shining Knight?

Nobody is mad about Sir Ystin.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I wonder why people would buy comic books for their children when the comics are nestled among pokemon cards, marvel funkos, and other nerd bric-à-brac.

This is obviously on the consumer.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Maybe they shouldn't have let the guy who can't stop putting gory murder scenes in his scripts write books that are put in toy aisles.

Omega Men sucked FYI. His Batman Rebirth was good for awhile.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
*wife leaves room*

*instantly soaked in sweat, muttering to self*
"I bet my wife is being beheaded by the terrorists I trained!!!!"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

TheHan posted:

Heroes in Crisis is really bout to do that bullshit huh.

Please post spoilers. I am laughing and rolling in this hog poo poo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

TheHan posted:

Booster realizes that Wally's body is five days older than it should be through...RNA analysis? Implying that he's in some part involved in the mass slaughter of all these superheroes.
Also this might be more of a personal gripe, but the way King writes Harley is incredibly insufferable. It feels like she has the mentality of a child, and it feels creepy when paired with the way Clay Mann draws women.

Lol this rules

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Teenage Fansub posted:

But in the, like... in the real world, you see... people talk like, well, like that, or, um... they talk like this. In real life, I mean. You and me here in the real world and not, um... you know... in, like, a comic book... or something

You are right. Thank god Bendis isn't writing HiC.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Endless Mike posted:

Never did.

But can't wait for the "I read bad comics solely to complain about them!" crew to get ahold of it!

Does it count if we read half the book when pages are posted on twitter and we just LOL at the terrible?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Beerdeer posted:

Man YJ was a weird read. I finished the book and was actually startled because NOTHING happened.

:monocle: a bendis book!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Beerdeer posted:

It's been a long time since I bought floppies. The characters pulled me back because I loved the original series.

This is how bendis writes. His stories always read better in trade format and half the the arcs nothing happens.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

site posted:

Tom Taylor is currently teasing out his new project and it sounds like it's a DC book

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1095004101530669057?s=19

The history of that hashtag is something else.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Not sure if anybody else is following the DC Universe app and the comics put onto it, but the reason it launched with a 1000ish comics of mostly incomplete runs and events that rotate is corporate restrictions. Last month those restrictions were loosened and the app is allowed 2kish books and actual complete stories.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
28 DCays later

Thanks for reading

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd be surprised if it was King's idea rather than Lobdell, Percy or Esquivel's (or whatever editor was setting up Esquivel's run.)

:hmmyes: all the bad ideas come back to king. I agree TFS.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Doomsday Clock #9 leaked pages.

https://imgur.com/a/49xo7j6

Alpha Centarian?!? Who dug that dude up!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Who is the orange guy with a black tank top with a star on it? In those doomsday clock spoilers.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Those Doomsday Clock and Young Justice spoilers are divine

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

site posted:

Does the DC app thing still have a garbage collection of books? I have a friend who's asking but I just wanna make sure before I tell her don't bother

It has been much better, but you also have to want to just read any comic. If they want something specific good chance it isn't up.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I'm reading through the Elseworld collections. So many of these stories are bad. Some are cool setting and takes on characters, but the execution is awful.

Justic Riders is really interesting and a good read.

Elseworld's Finest is a fun reimagining of character's as 1920's pup heroes.

League of Justice has an interesting fairy tale setting, character takes, and character designs. The story is garbage.

Wonder Woman: Amazonia and Titans: Scissors, Paper, Stone both have awful art and gar age stories. The Titans story also has the distinction of having dialogue that is pain to read.

Elseworld's Finest: Supergirl & Batgirl is an interesting story, setting, and character takes, but something feels missing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Dawgstar posted:

I recall Thrillkiller being fun, although that may just be Dan Brereton art being pretty.

Both The Nail and Another Nail have ups and downs, but overall are enjoyable "do whatever" stories.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

:lol:

I fully expect this to cost $20 a month.

Edit: oh poo poo $7.99.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 30, 2019

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Skwirl posted:

So, what are some good Silver/Bronze Age (pre crisis on infinite earths) runs to check out?

Off the top of my head stuff I'm curious about, Green Arrow/Green Lantern, O'Neill/Adams Batman, early Question, Wonder Woman when she's a Kung Fu spy, Kirby's 4th World stuff. Any other gems? What's good pre-crisis Flash?

All-Star Squadron, Infinity Inc, and Freedom Fighters are all enjoyable products of their era.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Beerdeer posted:

DC Universe has some holes where I wish it didn't. No Impulse, and Johns's Teen Titans runs out at like issue 42. No Shade the Changing Man. No Final Crisis.

Are there hidden treasures in there or should I just finish the Morrisson Doom Patrol and be done with it?

Like in a week or two the comic selection is going from 2k to 20k so there will be lots of stuff.

Just scoping the featured comics and New Frontier and Dini's Zatana are both good. Batman: The Cult, Gotham Central, and 52 are both stellar from just a quick scroll.

Edit: there are a number of good series. Peter David's aquaman run, all the green lantern and related books, the 02 hawkman is good, jla year one, all of Jsa. There is a ton of good stuff.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 1, 2019

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm guessing these are the main characters for Leviathan (saw it on some random's tweet)

Into that.

Looks like a cool cast. I can't wait to read this event written by...oh no

Edit: my post was an honest reaction when I googled the team behind the event.

I hope it starts before HiC, and doomsday clock finish so we get 3 events running.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 12, 2019

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Bendis on street level is good, but it is an event book which Bendis is not good at.

I hope for good because those characters are good characters.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The Batman of Arkham is a pretty good elseworlds story.

Thrillkiller is not.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Dawgstar posted:

It's pretty, though. Brereton doesn't make an ugly book.

I do not think the art is great either. I will power through it and see if it gets better.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Batman: the golden streets of Gotham elseworld's story is really good.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

catlord posted:

Agreed, though I feel it could have used a couple extra pages to smooth the ending a bit. It's a little abrupt as-is. I also liked Nine Lives well enough.

I need to find a copy of 1001 Emerald Nights, or hope it shows up in a collection. It was merely ok, but it was so pretty.

I think it is in one of the elseworlds collections they printed recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm waiting for the point to fully present it's self. Maybe the master can pull it all together with one final brushstroke :D

Reminder: Get on that new Dial H series, the first ish was wonderful and #2 is out today.

Meltzer is going to let you down.