Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

McCloud posted:

Wait, how did evil batdad get brought back to life and intodc prime?
An incredibly angry Superboy Prime punched the walls of reality so hard it shook him out of his universe and into the mainline DCU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

X-O posted:

I don't like King but even I wouldn't force him to write Red Hood.
Hey, it could be worse.

Someone could force him to read Red Hood.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Does King's Batman/Catwoman mean the end of Joelle Jones' Catwoman book?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Good article on DC's precarious position as a very small component of AT&T's megastructure. Raises a lot of points that should be considered when trying to figure out DC does something that seems to make very little sense.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalkowitz/2019/07/31/where-does-dc-fit-in-atts-vision-for-warnermedia/#1d51704579b7

Sample:

quote:

It’s telling that in a long profile of AT&T CEO John Stankey this morning in Variety, DC was one of the only WarnerMedia brands that was not mentioned. To the extent that DC matters at all in the company’s future, it’s as a source of owned IP for other media channels and as a lifestyle brand to serve as an ambassador to geek culture.

...There’s another ocean in play as well: an ocean of red ink. AT&T’s debt following the $85.4 billion WarnerMedia acquisition stands at $164 billion. The company obviously believes it can monetize the WarnerMedia assets to make that back quickly, but that’s a huge sword hanging over management’s head, and the kind of thing that gets division chiefs thinking about short-term wins rather than long-term strategy.

...Faced with a cash-starved corporate master with an unsentimental, “what have you done for me lately” approach to legacy sub-brands and an urgent need to monetize its new media empire through streaming and licensing, it’s not unreasonable to wonder if even Superman himself is capable of rescuing DC Comics as we’ve known it for the past 80 years.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I'm sure this reboot will stick, though!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Skwirl posted:

DC also got G Willow Wilson, who, aside from Bendis, is about the only Marvel writer to create a new character that's become massively popular.
They also got NK Jemisin, currently the hottest thing in SF publishing, to write a series for them.

I assume that whatever is going on at DC is related to WarnerMedia being acquired by AT&T, and all the components of old WarnerMedia having to justify their existence and produce the kinds of earnings that will allow AT&T to start paying down the giant debt they took on to buy them.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

doomrider7 posted:

I've heard lots of nice things about Demon Knights. Was there an explanation as to why they didn't sell?
Seems simple enough to me:

1) It was launched at the same time as 51 other new books
2) It didn't feature any A-list or B-list heroes (Etrigan? Madam Xanadu? Shining Knight?)
3) It was set, not in the mainline DCU, but in some odd alternative medieval era

Frankly, I'm surprised it made it to 24 issues.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I vaguely recall rumors, hints, and suggestions of ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN and ALL-STAR FLASH books.

Seems like a no-brainer idea. Pair one of your highest profile writers with a high-profile artist on a high-profile character, and publish a non-continuity series that sells steadily for the next two decades as an evergreen TPB. I wonder why it wound down after one-and-a-half books? Even if you write off ASB&R as a misfire, the Morrison book fully redeemed and justified the concept. Maybe the endemic scheduling delays that How Wonderful! has cited soured DC management on the idea.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
AT&T took on a LOT of debt in order to buy Warner, so they're looking to cut anything that isn't generating a double-digit return right now.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Damian has been Robin in their recent series of animated movies too.
He was the Robin in the Harley Quinn animated series, too.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I'd just love to see more stories where Joker is just a clown-themed villain who pulls joke-themed crimes and manages to get the best of Batman more often than most of the rogue's gallery. But nope, every Joker story has to be capital-I Important, an operatic meditation on Batman's dark shadow and his eternal enemy yadda yadda. Every time the Joker appears, it means you know that you're in for some metatextual bullshit. Enough already.

Every writer keeps trying to write the ultimate definitive iconic story, and they all blur together .

One of the best things about Grant Morrison's run was that Joker was just a supporting character (and used very well in that role).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Madkal posted:

It feels like ages since Batman was a street level hero and maybe I am looking at the past with some rosey glasses but I kind of miss the Batman vs Mob/street gang stories. As How Wonderful said, it feels like the Batman power creep has infected his villains as well that we can't just get Batman fighting a gang recruiting youths or something like that, it has to be Batman fighting so and so who has wiped out an orphanage full of kids.
The solution for this was to tell stories that were set back in the Year One era (the Legends of the Dark Knight series did this a lot, as did a number of one-shots and miniseries). No Robin, still building out his collection of Bat-gadgets, still learning the trade of being Batman, still prone to making mistakes and bad assumptions - an actual human character you could tell street-level stories (involving cops and crime and the mob and gangs) about.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rhyno posted:

it's just been revoked
:hellyeah:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Gen13's Caitlin Fairchild is another bodysuit-but-bare-legs costume:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Looks like DC is really embracing anthology titles as the way forward, which is not something I would have predicted.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"Thread", as the kids say.

https://twitter.com/seankmckeever/status/1364052978362155011

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Far Sector has actually gotten me to try out some of Jemisin's novels and so far so good.
Jemisin is the only author to win the Hugo award for Best SF Novel in three straight years. She's good.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I'm genuinely surprised by how good Jim Lee turned out to be at navigating high-level corporate politics.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

TwoPair posted:

Now it looks like it's just setting up YET ANOTHER Crisis crossover thing and I'm like Christ can we not make it even a year without one of these?
Is there anything DC is more addicted to than creating excuses to retell all their characters' origin stories?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Xelkelvos posted:

Newest Catwoman. Also, it's platonic cuddling and basically implies that Selina still loves Bruce and that Harley is still into Ivy despite both pairs being on some kind of break, but both also still pining for their respective partners.
Joker and Bruce should join forces to make both their ex-partners jealous by dating each other.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

TwoPair posted:

I'm simultaneously laughing and facepalming at the circled DC like, "DO YOU GET IT? DO YOU SEE HOW CLEVER I AM?"
I long ago stopped paying attention to these Planescape-style diagrams of the DC meta-multiverse because whatever effort you put into understanding it, it will be completely obliterated when there is a big event in a year or two that completely rewrites and replaces it with yet another new status quo. How long is it going to take before DC publishes something that contradicts this version of the underpinnings of the DC Universe? Twelve months? Six?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I hope Wonder Woman's new daughter does nothing but try to explain the Scutum Fidei to everyone she meets.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Madkal posted:

I recently got a copy of Chase, a late 90's DC title ... The premise is Cameron Chase works for the Department of Extranormal Operations, a government organization who are very mysterious (or not) in what they actually do.
It really can't be exaggerated now massive the influence of The X-Files was on comics and nerd culture (and mass culture, more generally) during the late 1990s.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
There was a period in the late 1990s where Gotham was simultaneously subjected to DC crossover catastrophes (Underworld Unleashed, Final Night, etc.), Bat-book crossover events (Contagion, Legacy, Cataclysm/No Man's Land, etc.), and whatever was going on the week-to-week churn of Bat titles (serial killers, mad bombers, supervillain attacks, etc.). It really made you wonder why anyone lived there at all.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I wonder if sometimes line-wide pauses for special events (like Knight Terrors) are driven by concerns about schedule slippage in multiple main books.If you are several of your books are starting to run late (script delays, art delays, editorial turmoil, etc.) I can see simply declaring a one or two month jubilee of guest writers and artists to give your regular books a chance to catch up. Beats fill-in/inventory stories, or running late, I guess.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Gaz-L posted:

I think this is why you end up with stuff like Tom Taylor's Nightwing or the Jeremy Adams Flash or even JT4's Batman breaking out to a degree. They're not necessarily expected to be big earth-shattering things because they're either lower tier characters or intended as fill in runs, and so they just focus on telling contained stories with the tools on the table.
One of the reasons BTAS has such staying power in the hearts of nerds is because it did exactly this - set up an interesting status quo and told good stories within that status quo. No ramming the stakes up to eleven, no earth-shattering revelations that change everything, just stories about Batman fighting the Riddler and Two Face and Ras al Ghul, and doing it very well.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Hell yeah, Elseworlds.

That one year in the mid-1990s where every annual was an Elseworlds was the best DC event ever.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mr Hootington posted:

Reading Batman:Cataclysm and lmao at this happening just months after The Clutch and the mass exodus out of Gotham. The majority of the remaining citizens have to be dead.

I know no man's land is next and Gotham is inexplicably rebuilt, but I just don't know who would even love there.
There was a period in the crossover-mad late 1990s when between the universe-wide events (Underworld Unleashed, Final Night, etc.), Batman-title events (Contagion, Cataclysm, Legacy, etc.), and the usual day-to-day of the regular titles (serial killers, supervillains, mob wars, etc.) you wondered just how the typical citizen of Gotham wasn't completely paralyzed with CPTSD all the time.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
There's an Ellis-written Planetary/Batman crossover where the team encounters the Multiversal Batman in all its forms (including the Adam West TV version).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Air Skwirl posted:

I liked his Vision quite a bit, and it gave us Viv as a character who is cool. Also the aforementioned early Batman is really good, the Double Date issue with Superman and Lois is like an all timer Batman/Superman team-up.
The Batman/Elmer Fudd crossover was excellent, too. He also co-wrote the Grayson series which was quite good. His Rorschach was an interesting effort to comment on Watchmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

catlord posted:

Somehow I missed hearing about The Bat-Man: First Knight until like, a day ago? It's exactly the kind of thing I'm interested in. I wish we got more stories with retro settings.
Please sign my e-petition to force DC to bring back Elseworlds.