Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Hopping onto the bandwagonbroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Argue posted:

Hrm, images don't look the same on Chrome as they do on my iPad, or even just the default Windows image viewer. The colors are showing up kind of off from what I was seeing on Procreate and it's glaring in some areas. Do you guys postprocess iPad drawings in PS or something?

Your monitor isn't color-calibrated as well as the ipad is

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

My first composition in... awhile. I think it shows (that middle highlight needs to be on the left) but I'm reasonably satisfied with it

I've been enjoying getting closer back to my roots (not to say the printing isn't fun), and these 6x6 tiles I've been working on are a blast. Big enough to be comfortable, but small enough to keep me from getting in too deep.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Continuing my sunglasses theme...

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Took a break from sunglasses to draw some space

Can’t tell but the stars are metallic silver

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Should have spent some effort into hiding that hand #TheStruggleIsReal

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

lofi posted:

Hey all, I could do with some feedback. I've been working on a tarot card set, going for a psychadelic post-apoc vibe, but I've really stalled out, feel completely uninspired by the project at the moment. Here's some of what I've got so far:

Is the colourscheme just too much? Like, I can't imagine anyone using them to do a tarot reading with, but does that matter, would people be buying them just as nice images? Am I making the characters/archetypes too removed from the real world?

Basically I'm tying myself in second-guessing knots, and any feedback would be helpful, might help me figure out where I'm going with this, if I want to shitcan the project and start on something else, change the style, or what.

Colors are rad, embrace the seizure!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Operation Expand My Horizons entering some rocky and uncomfortable waters

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Madonna and Child, early 21st century, Our Lady of Perpetual Hip, Portland, OR

God drat did I screw up the size of her head

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Took a break from my usual MO to make a V-day family portrait for my wife

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Back to my regularly scheduled programming. Got another show coming, need content. Mix and match art?

Don’t use copics on bristol board unless you like buying them frequently

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Theokotos posted:

Use paint markers instead! Sharpie brand are cheapest and most opaque in my experience, and assuming those pieces aren’t huge (like multiple feet in diameter) it’ll be a better choice. They also help prevent that streaking/shading effect you get from markers.

I’ve always used the oil based ones, but I believe water based ones exist.

Yeah I've got a stash of poscas I should use more often, and all my metallics are sakuras

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Theokotos posted:

Deco color has some really pretty color options, but they’re inconsistent with opacity and also $$$

Hella cheaper than copics, though. Don't do color often, but might look into getting some. How are the metallics?

lofi posted:

Huh, I'd never have suspected that'd be a bad interaction. Yay other people doing research for me!

I think that's why you're supposed to use markers on thin paper. Bristol is just too drat thirsty.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

New personal quest: how would the pre-raphaelites do black and white and gold

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Not a drawing, but it is daily (and previously seen here). Back to the wood!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Playing with different gold inks. Finally found some good ones.

I think left wins. Right is lovely (and is more metallic) but the image needs the bright pop.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

IkeTurner posted:

Metallic inks are really fun. The left might look better in person, but in the screenshots the right looks better as a gold ink to me, no?

Pretty much but it's not a huge difference (and probably a bit of it being newsprint). But it's more of a coppery gold and in this case I really want the bright yellow.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Hashtag daily printing

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

IkeTurner posted:

I really like these. Can you explain a bit about whatever techniques/media/inks are used?

Carved linoleum blocks with oil inks

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Posting just to complete the trilogy

dupersaurus posted:

Madonna and Child, early 21st century, Our Lady of Perpetual Hip, Portland, OR

God drat did I screw up the size of her head

dupersaurus posted:

Playing with different gold inks. Finally found some good ones.

I think left wins. Right is lovely (and is more metallic) but the image needs the bright pop.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Some actual daily art! I have a bunch of scrap paper and some scrap wood, so decided to do some mini-prints over a few hours

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Keetron posted:

I really like your prints, not only these but all the other ones you posted. It has to do with the artisan work that goes into making the block and then doing the print. Do you sell them somewhere?

I’ve got an etsy and do the craft fair thing.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

lofi posted:

Cars are hard! I think it's because we see them so often that it's really obvious if they're a tiny bit wrong.

It’s like faces. Everyone knows what a face/car is, but ask someone to actually represent one and it falls apart. We store the iconography without actually knowing how it’s made up.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Need to decorate my cube at the new job, decided post-it art would be a good way to go

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Keetron posted:

The border is weird but that is because I soaked the sheets in the sink for a few minutes before taping them to the board and this is what then happens. Good things: awesome paint flow, no warping at all, trying new things. Bad things: borders look weird. Maybe do it woithout tape next time.
Making the stars is splashing around with a brush with a bit of white gouache on it. Everything on my desk has stars on it now, my keyboard, my pens, my phone and the big screen (I wiped those off) and you'd almost say this is an artist's workshop!

I'll go watch a few video's on sunsets now, done with night skies for a while.

A fun thing I found is keeping all these little pieces in a drawer and then when friends come over and we talk about hobbies I can pull them out and let them pick one. Either people are really delighted or super polite, I'll happily settle for either.

It's been awhile since I've done watercolor, but I that's from the tape not sticking well to wet paper, and I think they make tape for use on wet paper

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I’ve challenged myself to make something big for my next show in two months, 18x24” big, and it’s a bit intimidating! So I’m doing some formal thumbnailing for maybe the first time since... a long time

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I'm a sucker for that repeating pattern, but wouldn't that be a massive pain to carve?

You say that like that’s ever stopped me before :jeb:

Real talk though, I’m a bit worried that my usual bag of tricks won’t work at this scale, and I feel like I’m wary of the whole headshot trope I base my whole artistic skill and self-worth on love

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Thinking about it, could you carve the pattern out once and stamp it all over?

Unwanted advice alert, don't try to force stuff you don't feel good about doing, but if you wanna try and mix it up a bit while still holding on to the headshot:

Weird long-shaped canvas is great and my fave and making compositions into one is fun! You still get to keep your portrait, but it's not front & center, so your eyes got more area to move around in and explore. Also if you're working big, a narrow area is easier to fill.

If you're lost on what to do with the space that's not a portrait, consider adding storytelling items, like I've masterfully crafted in a knife and an ice-cream to show you how much of a difference it can make in the feel of the pic when you've got something that speaks about the character that's in it. Doesn't need to be this on-the-nose, you could make the background pattern a wrench or add, I dunno, like a rose to the background to hint at a garden or a giraffe neck to say we're on a safari. Something that speaks of a location.

:hmmyes:

Top right and bottom left are where I'm heading, tho I hadn't thought about actually narrowing the canvas :thunk:

I may need to make bottom left the Judith piece I've always been wanting to make...

quote:

If you're feeling really adventurous, you could even make a man-portrait.

hey now let's not get crazy...

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Got tired of thumbnails so I went and did it live

I’m a little meh on it and have started a second one, but I’ve only got two weeks until the show...

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Finished carving this thing and did tests, think I’m good to go. Made some design executive decisions mid-carve

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Flavius Aetass posted:

Nice! Can I ask where you get your linoleum? I feel like there must be way cheaper options than what I'm seeing on Amazon and in hobby stores.

If I'm planning ahead, I order from Blick. Otherwise I go down to the local Jerry's. If you need cheaper, go baltic birch plywood.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Good decisions! Leaving out the Mucha-esque decorative balls somehow makes the piece "settle down" better. I also love the frilly lace, it's so pretty.

Yeah I killed those off pretty quickly but I agonized about having something in the halo for contrast. But instead I cheated the circle and narrowed it on the shoulders, and I think that handled the concerns I was having.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Keetron posted:

For this I have been called "skilled" and "talented" and I was like "deliberate practise" and thought "I bet Goons can burn this down".

I don't know enough about watercolor to say any more than "pretty", but I can silently judge you if it'll help

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Oh it was definitely Art, this is The Biggest Gallery in bumfuck nowhere which makes the pricing all the more baffling. Country folk will haggle over a used 40 cent porcelain figurine. My parents told me that the gallery sets the prices so the artists can't set them too low and actually sell somethi.. I mean, bring down the value of the place. To be fair, it wasn't all terrible, there were some decent concrete+resin sculptures that were interesting to look at and some up-and-coming artists with palettes that were a bit more modern. There was also the installation of dead mosquitoes, all their wings plucked and glued to a piece of plexiglass above them, some of them painted shades of yellow, orange and red. Soundscape playing the sound of a popping fire. Eurgh.

Approximately what percentage of the photographs were printed on canvas?

And is there any better "fancy" art gallery cliche than the dramatic B&W artistic nude photography. "It's not sexual, it's about form and composition"

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

lofi posted:

Wrist is finally mended enough to draw properly! :woop:

:perfect:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Cartyisme posted:

rad as gently caress art

:vince:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Inktober Day 1 Princess from #ImageOfMaiden by @mary_dimary

I want to focus on going back to design element basics, but I gave myself a pass to start off with. It’s been awhile since I’ve inked, but it felt like coming back home.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

heavy liquid posted:

Figured I might as well jump back in for the Inktober festivities!

No theme or anything, but will probably mostly end up being portrait and figure studies. Playing around with different ink brushes and stuff.

Day 1

Day 2

also a bonus doggo becuase he's a good boy

Rad

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Sharpest Crayon posted:

If all you're doing is ink pen, cheap bulk printer paper is actually great 'cause it's super smooth. You're very much limited with your pens though, the bigger marker-kind will still bleed on printer paper (I don't know if this has something to do with whether or not the ink is alcohol-based? some pens are just made to bleed :shrug: ) but if you stick to small pens or classic dip pens, it's great. Oh, also you can't do like any washes and also no big areas of ink or the paper will curl up in pain.

Yeah if it's an alcohol ink you can pretty much guarantee it's going to bleed through

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I used Strathmore Bristol smooth on Day 2 and it still had a bleeding problem with my brush pen.

Neon Noodle posted:

What series? Different prices of Strathmore Bristol have wildly different quality.

Yeah this seems weird. All of my ink drawings are on 300 series (the cheapest, yellow cover) and I've never had bleed like that, even with my brush pen (though I don't do wet-on-wet, maybe that makes a difference)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I’m already behind on inktober, but I did another kind of drawing

heavy liquid posted:

Past couple days:

Day 4

Day 5

Rad

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Inktober: Build.

Plz keep traditionaling thx