Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

jesus WEP posted:

this is the weak wrestle kingdom people were moaning about in the gdt haha
Well, obviously it was weak. It had matches that didn't even get any nominations here.
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Yeah, that is a drat fine match. My only criticism is if Cavenario didn't let Titan have a little too much space (e.g. when he dumped him behind the barricade and went back to the ring in the first fall) it could have sold his early dominance even better, but the rest of the match was excellent. Really want ZSJ to steal that final hold, too.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
It was not fine, but also not a worst match except likely "of the card".

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
I'll give it an HM. As IceAgeComing said: it builds well on the story going in and is good on its own, too. One of the false finishes (suplexing too close to the ropes) was particularly neat.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

MassRafTer posted:

Instead of people nominating Dolph Ziggler matches in TYOOL 2019 and thinking they are doing irony, you can spend your night watching some good matches.

HM: Arisa Hoshiki & Tam Nakano vs. Momo Watanabe & Bea Priestley, Stardom (6/2)
MOTYC: Arisa Hoshiki vs. Tam Nakano, Stardom (6/16)

The latter is must see, the last 5 minutes especially if you love kicks.
Catching up on Stardom and I have to say:
a) Arisa? Tam? Kicks? :monocle:
b) If that is how friendships are forged, I'm glad I'm a goon and have no friends.
c) Also seconding both matches.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jerusalem posted:

I still have their votes recorded in my spreadsheet and will keep count if any new votes come in after that, but I won't be tracking them on the first page anymore.
Phew, I was worried because I certainly won't have enough time to watch everything I want to check out today.

I will get two nths I already have out of the way, though:

MOTYC: 07/24 | Arisa Hoshiki vs. Hazuki - Stardom Big Summer in Tokyo
A slower start than we're used to from Hazuki matches, but it builds and builds to a furious crescendo. Great nearfalls and one was particularly good because it's been well established that the La Hajistral cradle can end matches at any time.

HM: 07/24 | Bea Priestley vs. Momo Watanabe - Stardom Big Summer in Tokyo
I probably was too exhausted from the match preceding it to appreciate this match when I first watched the show, but upon a rewatch I'll third this one. Well laid out (and thus avoiding one of the problems Bea's matches in Stardom tend to have), hard fought, and both competitors look great here.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
I have been meaning to check out Beyond for a while now, but there's so much wrestling and so little time. :negative:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

NuclearPotato posted:

I think it's half laziness, and half that the highs weren't as high as the first Bloodsport. Show was solid and a fun watch all around. Since you asked though:

HM: Anthony Carelli vs Simon Grimm - Josh Barnett's Bloodsport II 09/14

HM: Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs "Filthy" Tom Lawler - Josh Barnett's Bloodsport II 09/14

HM: Chris Dickenson vs Josh Barnett - Josh Barnett's Bloodsport II 09/14
Seconded. Good summary. Smith/Lawlor was MOTN and the whole show was very watchable.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Let me dump some nominations I had typed up in notepad. First, something old:

HM: 04/04 | Super Sasandango Machine vs. Yuki Ueno in a No No Disqualification Match - DDT I Do Not Want To Admit That I Can Not Go To America
No, that's not a typo, this is a No No Disqualification match. SSM helpfully explains the rules with a neat PowerPoint™ presentation before the match. I didn't understand any of it, but the concept becomes understood quickly once the match is underway: instead of administering five counts for certain no-nos, the referee blows a whistle and adds a "strike" against the offending wrestler and once they're at five strikes, it's a DQ. So some basic things like a hair pull or going to the top turnbuckle are bad now. And of course both catch on quickly and try to game the system and cheat like motherfuckers. 10 entertaining minutes of comedy with a novel concept for which I think it's worth tracking this one down.

And the 5Star GP has finally hit its stride:

HM: 09/01 | Momo Watanabe vs. Tam Nakano - Stardom 5STAR Grand Prix 2019 Day 4
I'm starting to suspect that this Momo Watanabe gal might be good at putting on matches with a good dramatic arc and at making her opponents look really good. Hell, a week earlier she made a 12 year old rookie look like she could get a pin on her without making herself look weak. Of course Tam is a different caliber and holds her own here resulting in a fast-paced match with counters, dodges and near falls that had me on the edge of my seat pretty much the whole time.

MOTYC: 09/07 | Momo Watanabe vs. AZM - Stardom 5STAR Grand Prix 2019 Day 5
The leader of Queen's Quest takes on her protege AZM. At only 16, AZM has her brash, fearless character down pat, already has crisp technique and no doubt is headed for a great career. Momo is willing to help her look like a star in the making here, just reinforcing what I wrote above. The result is an absolute nailbiter of a match which should go down as the first really great match of AZM's career.

HM: 09/07 | Mayu Iwatani vs. Tam Nakano - Stardom 5STAR Grand Prix 2019 Day 5
Two good friends not holding back anything. Excellent pace throughout, but could have used a couple more minutes.

HM: 09/08 | Kagetsu vs. Jungle Kyona - Stardom 5STAR Grand Prix 2019 Day 6
Both women are 2-2 going into this match, but Kagetsu has been looking shaky even in victory, especially against Jamie Hayter a day earlier. The trend seems to continue here at first, but Kagetsu fights tooth and nail to turn this into a close affair. In the end, the fact that someone has done her homework and studied tape makes the difference.

HM: 09/08 | Mayu Iwatani vs. Hazuki - Stardom 5STAR Grand Prix 2019 Day 6
Was a little bit torn about whether to include this, but I figured if I nominate Mayu/Tam this deserves a nom as well. Similar in the sense of being fast-paced and exciting. On the shorter side, but that's exactly where Hazuki shines and it doesn't actually feel too short.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Yeah, I'll HM it as well. All the CMLL doomsaying feels wrong after hearing the reactions to this match. Main Event Micro Man will rescue them.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
HM: Cody vs. Sammy Guevara, AEW Dynamite, 02/10
HM: Hangman Adam Page vs. PAC, AEW Dynamite, 02/10
HM MOTYC: Nyla Rose vs. Riho, AEW Dynamite, 02/10

Main event didn't really do it for me overall, but these all rocked.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 3, 2019

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Rarity posted:

Also on reflection please bump my Nyla/Riho nom to MOTYC
Ah, gently caress it. I'll do the same.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

SatoshiMiwa posted:

HM: Will Ospreay vs ELP

Finish went a bit too long but that was a fun JR match
Yeah.

Also nthing Suzuki/Liger.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
HM for Sanada/Okada from me as well.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

oh but seriously I posted:

HM Kenny Omega vs Joey Janala - AEW Dark October 15th

a sick nasty bump freakshow but compelling throughout. i am totally over worrying about wrestlers taking too many bumps these deviants love to do it
:same: HM from me as well

Speaking of Joey Janela, I've been binging Beyond:

HM: 07/12 | Kris Statlander vs. Joey Janela - Beyond Uncharted Territory S01E11
Statlander is going to be a star sooner rather than later. She's a complete package and so polished, it's hard to believe she's been doing this for a little more than two years at this point. She puts on great performances all the time, but here she goes to war with the Bad Boy. The fact that this match features almost no plunder serves as a great reminder that Janela is so much more than a deathmatch guy. There's maybe too much kicking out of devastating moves towards the end, but the crowd eats it up, so I'm not going to hold it against the match too much. A fantastic showcase for both of them.

MOTYC: 07/28 | David Starr vs. Joey Janela in a 60 Minute Iron Man Match - Beyond Americanrana 2019
I just keeps on going and going, maintaining drama all through the whole hour. As brutal as this rivalry deserves.

Also from Americanrana:

HM: 07/28 | IWTV Independent Wrestling Championship: RD Evans vs. Orange Cassidy(c) in a Career vs. Title Match - Beyond Americanrana 2019
https://twitter.com/bigwillieisms/status/1155605794777419781

MOTYC: 07/28 | Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Chris Dickinson - Beyond Americanrana 2019
Beef! BEEF! BEEF! BEEF!

And some leftover Stardom stuff:

HM: 09/22 | Kagetsu vs. Arisa Hoshiki - Stardom 5 Star Grand Prix 2019 Finals
Both are eliminated ahead of their final block matches, but with Arisa being the Wonder of Stardom champion, there's still stakes. It's perhaps a bit obvious that they're just teasing a future match here, but they're doing an excellent job of doing just that while putting on a match that manages to stand on its own as well.

HM: 09/22 | Momo Watanabe vs. Mayu Iwatani - Stardom 5 Star Grand Prix 2019 Finals
Moments earlier Momo got eliminated from the tournament by the result of the match before this one. Mayu can still make it to the final, but absolutely has to win. Momo fully embraces her role as potential spoiler and Mayu is of course perfect as the fiery babyface trying to overcome The Odds™.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
HM: 10/14 | Wonder of Stardom Championship: Kagetsu vs. Arisa Hoshiki (c) - Stardom World Champion Wars 2019
I HM'd their match in the 5*GP as an excellent teaser match and a good match on its own. They certainly delivered here. The first half loses me a bit with the overused lengthy "Passion of the Arisa" segment, but the back half is just the excellent fast-paced back and forth I wanted to see from these two.

HM: 10/14 | World of Stardom Championship: Hana Kimura vs. Bea Priestley (c) - Stardom World Champion Wars 2019
I didn't have high expectations for this one and found myself pleasantly surprised. Bea has certainly made strides in her time as champion, but I was still critical of Hana in longer singles matches, especially after the 5*GP final. It seems like in the weeks since she has learned to vary up her offense enough to not feel as repetitive as it did against Konami. On top of that, these two seem to work together well stylistically. A hard-fought, nicely escalating battle that at no point feels like a foregone conclusion (*cough* unlike the 5*GP final *cough*). Well done!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jerusalem posted:

And the date!
7/28

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
HM: Latin American Championship: Daga vs. Drago (c) - AAA Heroes Immortales 10/19
In all this excitement, let's not forget this neat little match early in the card.

HM: Copa Antonio Pena - AAA Heroes Immortales 10/19
I'm in the camp of the battle royal part and the absolute insanity of the final two averages out to HM.

MOTYC: Mega Championship: Kenny Omega vs. Fenix (c) - AAA Heroes Inmortales 10/19
This match slapped. Kenny tried to kill man, but in different ways than we saw on Tuesday. Fenix was maybe not looking to murder Kenny, but didn't hold back either. Just two great wrestlers going out there and having a fantastic match.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 20, 2019

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

SatoshiMiwa posted:

You could tell Vikingo was still hurt at the end of the match as he was limping noticeably
I thought he had landed badly on his knee on the imploding 450. However, he was limping just for a bit and quickly seemed to get better.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Venomous posted:

Yeah, Honda absolutely rules. Artelier, if you maybe want to see him wrestling a more serious match, then his 2011 match between him and Dick Togo is imo one of the greatest matches of all time. He still rules at straight up comedy though.
Add another voice to the Honda love in here. One of my favorite discoveries from subscribing to DDT Universe.

and nthing MOTYC: Antonio Honda vs. Lulu Pencil - Gatoh Move (10/27)

I'm always a sucker for a game of musical chairs breaking out in the middle of a wrestling match and the finish was absolutely sublime.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

IceAgeComing posted:

HM: Mei Suruga, Yuna Mizumori and Antonio Honda vs Calamari Drunken Kings (Chris Brookes and Masahiro Takanashi) and RinRin, Gatoh Move gtmv 19, 27th November 2019

https://youtu.be/hHRM3tmE3B0
I'm way behind on a lot of stuff and just got to this and I'll nth this despite being only 1:40 into the vid. The opening sequence alone is worth it. e: As is the rest of the match. Great creativity on display.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
I won't be able to watch the show until the new year, but I want to say that I'm shocked - SHOCKED, I say - that Hoshiki vs. Konami was good.