Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Baron La Croix posted:

Tomohiro Ishii is the best wrestler alive.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...Oh my god, they did that so that they didn't have to put the belt on Taven and then have him drop it to Scurll immediately, didn't they? So MSG is a 3 way, I guess?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

They'll probably have Taven win the title at MSG.

Oh, so they're 100% closing with the IWGP title match then.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

They already said on here tonight that the ROH title was gonna main the show

...I mean, I get that Sinclair is probably a big reason they could get the building, but that's gonna fall pretty flat unless Marty goes over? (And it's gonna have to follow Ibushi or Okada vs White, then?)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly if the match isn't main eventing I'm now wondering if Ishii or SANADA win the cup and put Jay over so he gets a defence under his belt.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It was one thing when ROH had the Cody/Omega feud that was red hot, even if the matches were pretty underwhelming, and you have 6000 rabid fans dying to see it.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe in a month we'll see nearly 20 thousand screaming Taven-maniacs screaming as he ascends the mountain.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Coach countering Tana's counter of Dodon into that sit-down pin was a fantastic near-fall, and am I crazy or did Taguchi straight up do the boma-ye, not the hip attack version?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Carlioo posted:

Haven't gone back to check but I'm pretty sure it was just a bummer-ye. Although it was the most vicious version of it that I've seen

He didn't turn at all, though. He just went straight through.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pinwiz11 posted:

YES I'M CRYING

Please can I get a free copy of your book Mr Charlton?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
STRONGER THAN EVER. 4 EVER. 4 feet tall

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

The lady ref saved it and the camera zooming in at her death stare at the time keeper more than made up for that.

Match was awesome, MOTYC for sure

Kong also apparently ripped the timekeeper a new one after the match, per Alvarez.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The biggest issue is basically Ibushi and Naito enable each other's worst qualities. Ibushi loves doing this dangerous head-drop stuff (I will never, ever let go that he took a BURNING HAMMER on HIS HEAD in the CWC... and it was a loving NEAR FALL! IN A MATCH HE WAS WINNING!), and Naito is a lot like Nakamura where he either phones it in massively... or goes 1000 mph, and Ibushi is one of the few guys who both motivates him to do the latter AND can keep up with him to the point where they basically egg each other on.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Stone Pitbull 141 posted:

It was worse for Ibushi Naito because they did a bunch of headdrop maneuvers after that spot. The other match peaked at the spanish fly.

And the Ospreay one at least has the fact that Will had done the spot relatively safely many times before that match, so it clearly wasn't the plan, while this one has the issue of the 2 men being so reckless you're not sure it wasn't on purpose.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The first of many for Tacos this year. :unsmith:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Willninho posted:

Hm

Audaz, Flyer, Soberano Jr. vs Hechicero, Kawato San, Templario. Cmll 6/21

Legit a wild tercera trios match which never happens. The finish is great. Kawato comes up in a crazy spot. Really worth watching.

Watching this now. I don't watch much CMLL or lucha in general, but... is Kawato a rudo? :psyduck: I mean, I get that part of the point is to give the young boys a shot at doing stuff they don't do in the dojo or opening matches, and that would include being a heel, but... huh.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
WWE should just start making all matches 6-man tags and 2/3 falls, like CMLL. They've already got the part about belts not mattering down! :haw:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Venomous posted:

this is a thing now?

...oh God. This is a thing now.

It's not a bad idea if WWE were run by sane people who understand that it should just mean 'have matches start right after the ad break, and make sure people hit their time cues', and also assume USA are flexible enough that they wouldn't mind if WWE pushed back the commercial break 2 or 3 mins sometimes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

if any Ishii match is just meh, it'll be with Juice

I dunno, Juice basically just needs to do something similar to what he did with Shingo and it'll be great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A Real Horse posted:

Nth. When Okada wins the block and the G1 he’s going to pick SANADA and Ospreay and they’re going to have the best ever triple threat at Wrestle Kingdom and I am going to die of happiness.

I think you mean best double shot main event. SANADA on the 4th, Will on the 5th. (But for real, I think Ospreay's taking the block. And yes, I picked Ibushi in the contest)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Capn Combustible posted:

True, but Okada is at 8 and has a tiebreaker. It's hard to imagine Okada not winning at least 2 of his remaining 5. Though I suppose Gedo has surprised us before.

Okada loses to KENTA, Ibushi and EVIL, draws with SANADA, beats Archer. Ends at 11.
Ibushi beats Tana, Fale, Okada and Archer, loses to ZSJ, ends at 12, losing to Will via tiebreak if Will runs the table from now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
poo poo, the Math confused me again :( (I swore I remembered Ospreay winning that one)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Starting to worry that Tana vs Ibushi is going to be a Michaels/Flair situation and we're all gonna miss the finish because :cry:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

It will get lost but I'm throwing an HM - PROGRESS Toronto Aug 8 2019 for David Starr & Jody Threat vs. Chris Brookes & Jordynne Grace. Tons of fun.

e: I'll also throw HM to the Dark Order vs. The Butcher and the Blade vs. Aussie Open from the same show.

Wait, the Dark Order worked a PROGRESS show? How the gently caress did that happen?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

New Japan increased their MOTY nominations from 34 for the year so far to an extra 35 for the G1 Climax alone :stare:

Which also makes their current MOTY total 69 :c00l:

Just as Taguchi returned. Coincidence? :tinfoil:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

New Japan isn't allowed to have any more good matches

I think you mean only Ryusuke Taguchi is allowed to have good matches now, until they hit 6969 MOTYCs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He needs to ditch the YOSHI-HASHI haircut quick, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
MOTYC: Okada/Suzuki, NJPW Royal Quest, 31/08
HM: Ishii/KENTA, Royal Quest
HM: Birds of Prey vs Bullet Club Jrs, Royal Quest

Can't fairly rate the heavyweight tag match as I was stuck in the concessions queue for most of it. And can't fairly rate Tana/ZSJ because as it was a Zack match, it was hard to see from floor seats if you weren't right at the front.

Pretty sure I'm also over-rating the main event because of being there live, but I'm also deliberately knocking Ishii/KENTA down a notch, because the crowd heat was definitely MOTY worthy, but the concussion did render some of the last few minutes a bit ropey and scary.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's literally baffling, because now who the gently caress could possibly care about the belt, and who is remotely credible to take down Brock or Cain? Say what you will about the reactions, they've booked Kofi right in the sense he was put over strong and clean most of the time over top guys like Bryan, Orton and KO.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The PC does what WWE always does, but it's especially bad for women, basically because they prioritise them less. It's the equivalent of teaching a guitarist how to play Smoke On The Water specifically, but not how to read tab or play individual notes or chords. Guys tend to manage a little better because there's more talent they end up working with who actually know how to work, but they seem to only book the PC women with each other or in like 10-woman tags.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

HM: Dark Order vs SCU, AEW Dynamite 10/23

Nth. The best I think Dark Order's looked so far. too bad they did the Inner Circle entrance during it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Power Struggle:

MOTYC: Ishii vs KENTA
HM: Bushi vs Will "The Thrill" Ospreay
HM: Goto vs Jay White

Gedo got the most distance on a ref pull I've ever seen. The ref ended up like 10 feet out of ring while Gedo was out of sight.

Which made Gino's heel call of 'HE FELL' especially funny.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The idea of any major company not using Dragon Lee because an old man thinks Negro Casas and Ultimo Guerrero should still be on top is baffling to me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

fatherofmustard posted:

Hot take but I thought Moxley/Omega was a WMOTYC. It dragged on way too long and the crowd was dead for most it.

Kind of leaning this way myself. Part of it may just be that it's not a style I find that engaging as I like matches more like the women did with the pace ramping up at the end. But the barbed wire net and the v trigger into the set were dumb and killed both the pace and any vague semblance of it being a fight.

Edit: Oh and the screwdriver/icepick was also really, really dumb. It barely looked good on TV while again breaking suspension of disbelief for me. gently caress it, I've talked myself into it:

WMOTYC: Kenny Omega vs Jon Moxley, Lights Out Match, AEW Full Gear, Sept 9 2019

I will also go MOTYC for Riho vs Emi. Rest of the card was good, not great. I didn't love Bucks/PnP as much as y'all because it fell into some of the Bucks worse tendencies to just do a bunch of stuff at the same pace the whole time.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 10, 2019

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also to clarify, I'm not EWWWWW BLOOD. I know all the reasons why deathmatch poo poo is arguable safer than King's Road style and so forth. (Honestly, my big issue with the mousetraps is how obvious it is that they're NOT dangerous) It just was slow, plodding and way too fake for me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Only slight niggle I had was the brief moment it looked like the story was gonna be 'OH NO NICK'S LEG' because I've seen the Bucks do that story so much the last year or two.

But yes, incredible match.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Deathlove posted:

There aren't a lot of things I'd say Undisputed Era isn't great at but the Eliminators made Total Elimination look like death

To be fair, the Eliminators were both pretty beefy jacked dudes by ECW standards, Fish and KOR are like half the size of Lee and Dijak.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lamuella posted:

I saw this one in person and the match was so good that it took my mind off the fact that I'd tripped up earlier in the evening and completely messed my knee up.

If Suzuki had hit the piledriver I think the pop would've been audible at West Ham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

punch is watching 5 matches simultaneously, on double speed, 24/7 until the thread closes

Except Omega/Lee which is actually running at 75%