Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I FINALLY caught up on this past season after being delayed thanks to family issues and middle school musical rehearsals.

So...what have I missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Olivia Colman won best actress Oscar!

Colman...Colman...she hasn't been in very much, has she?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
That’s gonna make my wife happy - Graham has been her favorite companion since Wilf (and my favorite since Donna!).

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So apparently I've been voluntold to take a friend to see Logopolis this Wednesday on the big screen.

Man I hope this story doesn't leave me hanging.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Saw Logopolis last night on the big screen.

1 - It was the version that was going to be on the Blu-Ray release for Tom Baker's final season. On one hand it looked gorgeous, especially since they updated some of the special effects and the model shots of the satellite array. On the other hand, the effects that weren't updated (like the Master looking at the Doctor while he's crawling out on the walkway at the very end) definitely stand out.

2 - They ran the whole serial without cuts or episode breaks, which is a VERY weird way to watch a classic serial.

3 - I sometimes wanted to slap Adric, but I believe it's residual annoyance from his stories with Five. In retrospect he was perfectly fine in this episode.

4 - My God, Anthony Ainley's hamminess on the big screen. :getin:

5 - MY GOD TOM BAKER'S TEETH ON THE BIG SCREEN! :stare:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Doctor: Master you screwed up the universe and it's going to die literally because of you.
Master: My bad, let me help you fix it.
Doctor: Well I think we've got a solution here... wait, why do you have a universe-spanning microphone?
Master: Listen up you dorks, I screwed up the universe and now you have to pay me for the fix :getin:

The Master, the original ransomware.

And how most of the last episode is the Doctor slowly getting more and more annoyed at the Master trying to kill the workers and guards at the array.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I assume Michelle Gomez's live is basically full of moments like this :)

I can't tell if that's Jack Davenport she's holding the door for or not, but if it is, that's the kind of :love: I want.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Let's just admit the central theme of Doctor Who - humanity sucks, until it doesn't.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Everyone remembers their first Doctor.

Well, unless you're Donna Noble.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Is it me or do these colour schemes work better?

The City of Pittsburgh approves.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Vinylshadow posted:

I should watch Blink again

One of the few episodes of any series I've ever watched that actually unnerved me

Midnight for me. One of the handful of episodes of any show that ever truly freaked the hell out of me, aside from a couple Tales from the Crypt episodes.

My wife teases me for it. "How can not seeing something be scary?"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So driving to church this morning, 1st Wave, the new wave channel on SiriusXM, actually played “Doctorin’ the TARDIS.” The kiddo just looked at the radio with an expression of utter shock and asked me the heck it was.

“The 80’s and a lot of cocaine,” I told her.

Still, we laughed, she hummed along, and I got to introduce her to INXS with the next song.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Fil5000 posted:

Now play Doctor In Distress for her and try to explain THAT poo poo.

She's my stepdaughter - her Dad gets to handle THAT talk.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

jivjov posted:

I'll take 8

Let me quote this before I forget.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Wife - "So to celebrate the anniversary of the moon landing, wanna watch Kill the Moon?"

Me - "...no. No, I really don't."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Has anyone played the Doctor Who RPG from Cubicle 7? Is it any good?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Edward Mass posted:

I had a dream that there was going to be a bank holiday special episode of Doctor Who airing in October. Sadly, there is no bank holiday in October.

Well when the banks close because of a no-deal Brexit...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Davros1 posted:

"To me, to you."

Don't you just mean "to me?"

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, Battlefield isn't the best but what it tries to do I really dig and it has some great moments in it. I also love the fact that the Doctor figures out that the baddie has it out for him over something some future regeneration did and just rolls with it and still ends up clowning on them (kinda like what Troughton now is retconned into having done to The Great Intelligence when it came after him for revenge on 11).

My hands down favorite Brigadier moment is in this episode.

"Get off my world."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
School Reunion was the worst episode of the revival of Doctor Who.

“Wow. I’m sorry, that’s the worst opinion I’ve ever heard since someone said School Reunion was the worst episode of the revival of Doctor Who!’”

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My stepdaughter loves Jodie and after a few years of cosplaying as characters from My Hero Academia she's going as Thirteen for Halloween, down to actually spending her own money for Jodie's sonic screwdriver instead of just borrowing mine.

The loving haters can loving gently caress the gently caress loving right the loving gently caress off.

I have that embroidered on a tea towel at home.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

McGann posted:

This is adorable, and as it was mentioned earlier really makes me happy for the future of the fan base. Y'know, once a certain vocal portion fucks right on off (dies, you know they won't give up watching with breath in their lungs to complain.

Also, I want that towel. A cursory google hasn't found me much, was that purchased or made for you? I may have to commission one if it's the latter.

Sadly, it's a joke based off of a Peter Capaldi line from The Thick of It. Warning, massive swearing incoming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mss7ZNIEhfo

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Vinylshadow posted:

What is it with Doctor Who actors always being able to tread the line of "I'm not sure if that's spectacular acting, or if there's just a camera following them around chronicling their average weekday"

Well it all started with a man named Tom Baker...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Oh THIS scene?

Please. Could he walk away from this?

https://youtu.be/EN-pRNfp8cA?t=4867

(1:21:07 to 1:21:18)

(And if you've never seen Stone Cold, for the love of God watch it. It's the best 1980's action movie made in the 1990's)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I do my level best to never read the YouTube comments...

...but the suggested videos included stuff like "DOCTOR WHO IS RUINED FOREVER[/I]" and "WHAT THE NEW DOCTOR WHO GETS WRONG[/I]" when I'm watching a video that celebrates Doctor Who.

I just tell myself - every new Doctor is the worst one and the show is the worst it's ever been until the next bloke/sheila comes along.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I'm torn, but gently caress it. I like em all...

Four's theme starting with Robot.
Ten's theme starting with The Christmas Invasion.
Twelve's theme starting with Deep Breath.
Thirteen's theme starting with The Ghost Monument.

Although, Eight's theme from the early Big Finish years simply SLAPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVbUSkZdNkw

It's not over-the-top and has that eerie alien feel. And that middle 8...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

"Delta and the Bannermen" was insane and stupid.

How can anyone hate Delta and the Bannermen?!?

Paging J-Ru to the thread. You know what to do.