Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Spent the week catching up to Big Finish:

Muse of Fire was one of Paul Magrs' better stories - artists are fleeing Paris and destroying their works - and Iris Wildtyme is at the heart of it. It's quite a light, fun romp, with Ace, Hex and Katie Manning. And an amusing scene with Iris and Hex, where stupid sexy Hex nude models for her. Sadly no visuals of beefcake Phillip Oliver, (obviously) but just picture this (mild :nws:) :swoon:

The Hunting Ground was honestly kinda dull - an alien is using a section of Iceland as a game reserve to hunt humans - just couldn't get in to it.

Devil in the Mist is Big Finish's attempt at developing cursed robot Kamelion into an actual character, and trying to salvage the utter wasted potential of him from the classic series. Jon Culshaw does a pretty good job, and hasn't died horribly yet, so that's a promising sign that the Kurse of Kamelion might be broken. (I am of course, checking the obituaries daily, just in case).

It's a relief to be free of the limitations of the prop - worse than K9 - because Kamelion was an actual robot with very limited functions. The story is so so; it's mostly an excuse to reintroduce Kamelion, and in that they're pretty okay. There's some more Kamelion to come so...

Also listened to the Diary of River Song - Master Quest edition :v:

Alex Kingston is good as always when not actively being written by Moffat and allowed to expanded as a character, and the boxset is pretty enjoyable overall.

The Bekdel Test has her team up with Missy, to escape an inescapable prison - and Michelle Gomez is on top form, and there's some pretty great dialogue and chemistry between them:

(Paraphrasing)
River: You're a time lord who knows the Doctor - ah you must be
Missy: *Smug*
River: The Rani.
Missy: No.
River: Romana?
Missy No
River: Ah! I know - one of his oldest foes - didn't know you could change gender, you must be the M-
Missy *Double smug*
River: The Monk.
Missy: Yes the Mas...the Monk!?

And there's also an interesting conversation regarding the whole turning into a different gender thing (cis, myself, but made me think of some of the trans posters here - again paraphrase)
River: So...the upgrade?
Missy: Oh, it's no big deal.
River: So does it feel different?
Missy: No. I was me. I regenerated. I'm still me.

Also it references the Curse of Fatal Death which was pretty great.

Animal Instinct is with the Beever's Master - it's an okay story. Beever's does his usual great work as the Master. That twisted silky voice.

Lifeboat and the Deathboat is the return of the Eric Robert's Master after 22 years! He's pretty good - it's such a different take on the character - he's a lot more relaxed, and less eccentric than the other masters. The one shame is that it's pretty clear he was recorded seperately from the other cast, and does feel a bit disconnected at times - and if you're wondering how come it's still the Robert's Master, they do explain it away, and leave the door open for him to return - hope he does.

The final story, Concealed Weapon is probably the weakest - it's the War Master hiding away on a ship taking out the crew. The big problem with the story is that you already know it's the Master killing them off. It's just not a very engaging story, despite Jacobi doing his usual good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
On the topic of Missy, I listened to her Big Finish boxset - Gomez is great in all of them, but the first story (where she becomes a victorian governess) has really wooden side-actors, and has interesting elements that don't really go anywhere - she's unable to use future tech, and unable to kill people, because she's being held captive by a time-travelling race who have pre-emptively punished her for crimes she'll comit against them in the future (or something).

The other story with Rufus Hound as the Monk as Henry VIII is pretty funny, and they bounce off each other very well, with a pretty great moment towards the end.

Catherine Parr: If you're really Henry, sing that song you wrote.
Monk (Nervous and flustered): Um...right, the song. That song right. ♪I'm Henry the eighth I am, Henry the eighth I am, I am-♪

The third one has a strange America's Most Wanted framing device, and goes into some real mind-gently caress territory, but is pretty good.

And the last one is kinda, meh. It's fine, but I was expecting something more.

It's all listenable, either way, though not as good as some of their other boxsets.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Just listened to The Kamelion Empire.

The whole set-up is to explain why Kamelion is off screen and unmentioned from his introduction until of Planet of Fire.

It's literally, "I need to sit in a zero room to recuperate, but to ensure complete mental restoration, I also need you all to not think or speak about me" :lol:

I loving love Doctor Who.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

sinepost posted:

But does it fully address the narrative implications of the deleted scene in The Awakening featuring Kamelion? Although they might be saving that for a follow-up box set.

Deleted scene? Non-Canon :mad:

They've actually not be so bad in exploring Kamelion's potential, and the reason he's a massive liability - it doesn't take much to push him into an antagonistic role if a person's will is strong enough, even outside of the Master doing it. It's just nice that they explore this interesting dynamic with the other companions, where they dislike and distrust him because, through no fault of his own, he can just turn on them.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

jivjov posted:

I love the Big Finish Effect of "Let's get an actor from the show to reprise their role, and get AS MUCH USE OUT OF THEM AS WE CAN!"

Derek Jacobi gets announced for a special War Master box...then 3 more of those and Gallifrey and River Song and Ravenous, etc

Hope Eric Roberts follows that same path, I rather liked his story in the River Song vs The Masters set

To be fair, I imagine some of these are how they're scheduled - IIRC, Jacobi recorded his Gallifrey and Unit episodes in the same chunk as the War Master boxset. Ditto for Missy and her cameo in the River Song boxset.

More Eric Roberts is good - his delivery is a bit flat, and you can tell he's recording without the other actors, but it's such a different relaxed style for the Master, and it really works with him. And I love the contrived ways they can have all these characters meet - it's loving nonsense and I love it.

Also, Charlie is back for Ravenous 3.

[e]: Apparently Ravenous 4 is the finale of the Ravenous boxsets - I've gotta say I've not liked these as much as the previous ones, and will be glad for them to move on to something new.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 28, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Burkion posted:

that was Time of the Doctor

Don't remind me about Time of the Doctor.

The 50th Anniversary got me back into the show after a while of being away, and TotD nearly pulled me out of it again because of the sheer clusterfuck way the story was cobbled together.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Box of Bunnies posted:

James Dreyfus is doing the "trans people in bathrooms and changerooms are a danger to everyone else!!" thing on Twitter again the same loving day the story about a trans girl having her head stomped in with a boot despite being segregated into her own facilities came out.

I don't care if Big Finish recorded his appearance in the Early Adventures a couple of years ago before he started on this bullshit, I obviously don't expect them to shelve something they've already got ready for release, but the fact that they were pally with him while announcing it last month and are using his presence to promote it without saying anything about this hateful bullshit means I'm done with them and seriously side-eyeing everyone else that keeps lapping it up

It's really put me off his next appearance, and yeah, just the glossing over of it by BF is really lovely. They can't be all "time lords are cool with trans, and we've also employed a trans actor"...and then also turn a blind eye to employing a massive transphobic poo poo. Not that it'll do much but will send off an email like jivjov; they wouldn't (or I like to think they wouldn't) tolerate this poo poo if it were one of the guys they were promoting was posting racist, or homophobic poo poo. Same should apply to transphobia.

jivjov posted:

Yeah it really feels like the MacQueen Master got shelved when Big Finish started regularly getting Gomez, Roberts, and Jacobi :(

On the topic of actual non-poo poo human beings playing the Master, apparently they haven't completely shelved him, but it would be nice to hear his impish voice again.

corn in the bible posted:

I listened to The 8th Of March, big finish's box set for Women's Day. It was a mixed bag--River and Leela was good (and a rare team-up, which is nice), Ace and Benny was nice enough, Paternoster Gang was terrible, UNIT was OK. If their goal in putting in a Paternoster audio here was to sell people on the upcoming series then that is a hell of a miscalculation cause it's super bad

I found it just okay, overall. River and Leela's interactions were fun, although the story didn't really engage me. The Ace and Benny one felt like it could have been expanded on into a 2-hour monthly one - probably my favourite of the bunch. I didn't think the Paternoster one was so bad - it's the weakest of the boxset, but it was just okay IMO. UNIT was fine - standard UNIT boxset story, although it did have my favourite exchange of the boxset:

(Paraphrasing)
Reporter: So I've got some questions about those lights in the sky seen over London?
Kate: Chinese New Year.
Reporter: Sightings of a sea monster off the Scottish coast?
Kate: A hoax.
Reporter: And reports of more sightings of the Beast of Bodmin Moor?
Kate: ... ... I'll have a word with her.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Astroman posted:

I don't think it's any other than the 4 listed. But on that topic, they've just about come out and said in The Two Masters and the River story that Beevers IS the Delgado Master after being injured and unable to regenerate; and in the interviews on the River one Beevers says he's pretty much playing him that way. I could see Beevers being able to pull off a convincing Delgado if he just changed his cadence to be a bit more suave, confident and less sepulchral, and I would love to see him playing a full on uninjured Delgado Master in something with Tim Treloar.

I'll have to relisten, because I thought Beevers was his own seperate incarnation; I know it's been a bit back-and-forth about Delgado Master and Crispy Master being the same incarnation, depending on the book/comic/audio/etc. And I know BF have pretty much said that the Pratt/Beevers Crispy Master is the same incarnation in the Two Masters. Again though, I know that the Master's incarnations is a big clusterfuck of body hopping and hissing. :v:

My favoured one is:
Young Master grows up to be Dreyfus Master (sans transphobic arsehole actor) -> x number of regenerations -> Delgado -> Regenerates into a non-hosed up Beevers/Pratt, burnt the gently caress up into Crispy Beevers -> Uses the Eye of Harmony to turn into not-so-crispy Beevers -> Potentially some body-hopping -> Possesses Tremas, becomes Ainley. -> Burns Ainley up but survives and reverts to Crispy Beevers -> Decides it would be a fantastic idea to become a hissing smoke snake, and somehow becomes Hissy -> Posseses Roberts -> At some point reverts back to Hissy and body hops again. -> The CIA restore him to use him as a soldier in the upcoming Time War, becoming MacQueen -> Regenerates into Jacobi -> Regenerates into Simms -> Regenerates into Gomez's Missy.

I know the comics add a Asian boy War Master before Jacobi. And some of the books imply that the War Chief is an incarnation as well. :shrug:

I'm glad that Doctor Who doesn't really give too much of a poo poo about canon - I like the approach of "yeah all this other poo poo probably happened...but this is the story we want to tell now, at this very moment, and we're not going to be bound too heavily to it."

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Khanstant posted:

Almost curious how or if that comes up in the shittier parts of the web about the current Doctor, since it's seems so obvious to refute it with just how Doctor Who is. I'm still waiting to start the most recent season, so I've avoided pretty much any review or response to it besides a few metafilter posts.

I haven't deleved too deeply, but some of the louder vocal backlash to the new series was insane - pretty much like all the comments you can probably imagine to the new SW films - female main lead, BAME actors doing things, etc - to the point that I wonder why they even loving watch the show. Like, Series 11 has problems, but having a female lead and a racially diverse cast...you have to be hosed-in-the-head to even consider those as "problems".

I once found a site that was dedicated to re-editing DW to follow a more conservative outlook - like, if you're going to spend your time and effort to edit out a vast chunk of the show - why are you even watching it at that point?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I didn't watch any of them, just a skim through and a ":lol: what the gently caress is this - I typed in 'Doctor Who whatever', how'd I end up here?".

As I recall it was just cutting huge chunks out of the stories - mostly the Doctor's speeches - how any of that would have been remotely watchable is anyones guess. I think it was just new series stuff, toning down Barrowman (which is a crime in and of itself) but this is half-remembered from about five years ago. Like, there's merits to discussing politics (or indeed any other topic in Who - given the vast expanse of media to explore them in), but that is straight up odd.

It's still not as funny as Conservapedia's attempt to rewrite the bible to reflect a conservative worldview, resulting in things like Jesus praising the free market, and that, actually, the "Rich man" in "it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven" should be translated as miser, actually, as God totes loves all the rich. :smug:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

feedmegin posted:

I wonder if they picked up on the fact that, in 'servants should obey their masters' and for that matter every other place the word appears, servant should more properly be translated as slave. Seeing as it was the 1st century Roman empire and slavery was actually a thing. Seems like it'd be up their alley.

KJV posted:

Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ;

Conservapedia "Translation" posted:

Slaves, be obedient to those that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in single-mindedness of your heart, as you are to Christ,

Conservapedia' Analysis of the text - I poo poo you not posted:

This could apply equally to modern labor relations, and to anyone engaged to work for another.

For more mind fuckery, here's their 10 rules:

quote:

1) Framework against Liberal Bias: providing a strong framework that enables a thought-for-thought translation without corruption by liberal bias. For example, the Living Bible translation has liberal evolutionary bias; the widely used NIV translation has a pro-abortion bias.

2) Not Emasculated: avoiding unisex, "gender inclusive" language, and other feminist distortions; preserve many references to the unborn child (the NIV deletes these)

3) Not Dumbed Down: not dumbing down the reading level, or diluting the intellectual force and logic of Christianity; the NIV is written at only the 7th grade level[8]

4) Utilize Terms which better capture original intent: using powerful new conservative terms to capture better the original intent; Defective translations use the word "comrade" three times as often as "volunteer"; similarly, updating words that have a change in meaning, such as "word", "peace", and "miracle".

5) Combat Harmful Addiction: combating addiction[10] by using modern terms for it, such as "gamble" rather than "cast lots"; using modern political terms, such as "register" rather than "enroll" for the census

6) Accept the Logic of Hell: applying logic with its full force and effect, as in not denying or downplaying the very real existence of Hell or the Devil.

7) Express Free Market Parables; explaining the numerous economic parables with their full free-market meaning

8) Exclude Later-Inserted Inauthentic Passages: excluding the interpolated passages that liberals commonly put their own spin on, such as the adulteress story

9) Credit Open-Mindedness of Disciples: crediting open-mindedness, often found in youngsters like the eyewitnesses Mark and John, the authors of two of the Gospels

10) Prefer Conciseness over Liberal Wordiness: preferring conciseness to the liberal style of high word-to-substance ratio; avoid compound negatives and unnecessary ambiguities.

To tie this back to the thread more, their Doctor Who article is mostly stolen from wikipedia, with half-hearted outrage at anyalysing its political and social themes.

quote:

Several stories in the series have been subtly or overtly political in their themes. For instance, The Green Death (1973) emphasized the dangers of pollution and big business; while the following year's Invasion of the Dinosaurs featured a contrasting menace—pro-environment extremists. Other stories have taken their themes from current news stories of the time, such as the United Kingdom's entry into the Common Market. Many of these pro-liberal stories came during the period where the show was produced by Barry Letts, whose heavily liberal and environmentalist views shaped a lot of stories in the early 1970s. Apart from this period, the original series generally did not have a particularly heavily political leaning, and in fact The Sun Makers (1977) was a conservative story that told of the dangers of heavy taxes and overly complex governments.

[...]

The lead writer of Dr. Who, Russell T Davies is known for aggressively promoting the homosexual agenda in his prior show Queer as Folk and continuing to promote it in Doctor Who (despite the fact that the show is supposed to be geared towards a young audience), with many openly homosexual or bisexual (or as the show jokes "omnisexual" due to relations with aliens) characters, including the lead of the spin-off Torchwood, Captain Jack Harkness. Davies' attitude has been contrasted with that of John Nathan-Turner, the final producer of the original series who, while being publicly known as a homosexual, never allowed this to overtly influence the stories written while he produced the show.

~Gay Agenda~

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DoctorWhat posted:

The twitter account for the Dr Who Wikia has begun blocking anyone critical of its editorial policies, which now include the minimalization and erasure of LGBT terminology wherever possible. The Wiki still maintains categories like "Earth Vegetables" but regards queer representation as a "21st century concern" beneath its notice.

You'd've thought that if they were documenting a series, which in its modern incarnation has very prominant LGBT themes and characters, they'd reflect that a bit more. Obviously not I guess. :shrug:

I've used it a few times to dig up some info on actors or refresh the memory on "what's the episode where x happened?", but looking a bit deeper, without even touching on the LGBT stuff, which is pretty gross if they're minimalising it, it suffers from the usual problems of "We've got to document everything no matter how insignificant".

Just like Wookieepedia, there's an article for "Toilet" - because the uses of space-shitters is vital to the series. Dr Who wikia doesn't have an article for "Breast", unlike Wookieepedia, but "Breast Impant", "Posterior", and "Penis". At the time of writing, there is also an entire page dedicated to the fake phone numbers characters are seen typing in various episodes. loving why.

The articles are just badly layed out as well; as Dr Who really only has the loosest of continuity (and loving time travel), rather than just break stuff down by different media, character pages are just massive slogs of contradictory poo poo because the editors are doing their damndest to make it all squash together in some kind of cohesive narrative.

I love Kinda. Davison is a good Doctor and he has good companions, I don't get why people are so down on him

He tends to get seen as the bland one. Which I've always felt was an unfair assessment. After how weird and alien Tom Baker was, a more grounded, more human Doctor was the best way to go. Him playing TARDIS Dad essentially. I do think though he's served better in the audios, for the most part, because they allow him to be more arsey - restrained but exasperated arsey Fifth Doctor is my favourite Fifth Doctor :colbert:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 9, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Well that explains that weird Ravenous story where Liv does the whole "Bye Doctor, I'll see you again in a year". With me thinking, oh, okay, probably time to give Helen something...anything...to do, or a new companion- and then they immediately cut to a year later, and she gets back on board and they don't really talk about the weird blip.

Notably, it's not the first audio based on Kaldor - that was Kaldor City, where it exists in that strange legal limbo of "Here's our Doctor Who x Blake 7 crossover, but without the bits that'd get us sued".

[e]: Jumped through some hyperlinks and somehow just ended up reading up on Faction Paradox, and my eyes glazed over :psyduck:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 28, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

stratofarius posted:

I really should get into Big Finish, but that requires me to get into Classic Who, which seems to be super hard to find.

For the most part, BF is pretty good about being able to jump in their stories with the barest knowledge of Classic Who. They tend to briefly explain continuity stuff in very basic detail, or obliquely hint at future events, but for the most part, they can be listened to with the "Doctor travels with some people and defeats the badmens" attitude.

The_Doctor posted:

So, realistically, how long do you lot see Chibnall sticking around? I honestly can't see him staying on for longer than Jodie's run (which is probably going to be the now standard 3 seasons and done).

I could maybe see Whittaker sticking around longer. I don't know with Chibnall. The direction he's taken the series after Moffat is the right one, but I don't think that he's a good fit for it, if that makes sense. Like, he's trying pretty daring stuff, and allowing the show to cover topics that in the current climate, really need to be emphasised, as scifi does and should do...but the actual execution is so scattershot and aimless for the most part, with his personal writing style being one of big problems.

Who knows *taps nose*, we'll see how series 12 goes, and if its got more of the same problems as 11.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Caught up with the War Master 3 boxset and Further Adventures of Lucie Bleedin Miller.

War Master 3 has some great Jacobi moments - bit redundant to say at this point; he's always really great. Don't think the stories in this were that great though - this series hasn't managed to top the first boxset for me. :shrug:

They're structured in a way to clearly build up for the Master's latest scheme...and then it just fizzles out at the end. There's some good Doctor/Master chemistry, as McGann is in this one briefly as they reflect on their weird relationship. They explain away the Doctor not recognising the Jacobi Master in Utopia, via Eight's most loyal companion Amnesia.

Part of the problem I'm feeling with these boxsets is the struggle with them having a villainous protagonist who generally works better as an antagonist in short bursts, with the balance of them being the protagonist and needing to move the plot.

For comparison with the first boxset, we have the dramatic irony of knowing the Master is a scheming wossname and are in on the joke of him pretending to be good and helpful to the various other characters, while trying to throw them under the bus, and alterior motives for a grand plan that we're not privvy to. And for the most part, he's also the viewpoint character.

In the second, and third, he's not really the viewpoint character anymore. On the one hand, it does play to the character's strengths as they're the instigator of the events of the stories with the viewpoint characters reacting to his plans...but on the other, it does feel a bit like Doctor Who without the Doctor where the bad guy just wins. I dunno, I wish it I could explain it better.

tl;dr: Not as good as the first boxset, some good Doctor/Master stuff, but overall, not really worth the build up.

TFA of Lucie Miller was honestly kind of refreshing. It's great to hear Sheridan Smith and McGann have a laugh, without some of the heavier stuff the Eighth Doctor Adventures would later head down.

That said, I don't think the first story was the best place to reintroduce the character; it's a purposely weird timey-wimey story that only vaguely makes sense in the last story of the boxset, although it does have some funny lines.

Daleks: WHO ARE YOU?
LM: I'm Lucie bleedin' Miller, and don't you forget it!
Daleks: LUCIE BLEEDIN' MILLER STEP AWAY FROM THAT DEVICE!

The next two stories are the usual fun EDA romps: rollerskate boxing on an alien planet controlled by a mega corp, and Upstairs, Downstairs/Downton Abbey in a haunted house in space.

I normally don't pay attention to the individual titles of the boxset stories as I add them to my MP3 player (outside of the obvious "oh, it's Daleks, Cybermen, the regulars, etc) so it was a nice suprise to have the last story be the Wickerman meets Image of the Fendahl. It retroactively ties the other stories in the boxset together, which is fine, although it wouldn't have mattered if they were all unconnected little adventures.

Short version: If you liked the EDA with Lucie Millar. It's more of the same; fun little adventures with some really good chemistry between the actors, and some nice character moments.

I also listened to Ravenous 3 ages back, but it was so unmemorable I didn't bother to do a breakdown. Very short version; hungry evil clowns who feed on Time Lords. Some creepy soundwork. Usual good performances, but honestly kind of aimless. Thankfully it's ending in the next boxset. The only real highlight was a story where The Nine - a kleptomaniac Time Lord - accidentally saves River Song, so decides to collect the Doctor's companions. As in literally collect.

Yeah, so it has some fun cameos from various past companions across all his incarnations, but especially focuses on Eight's past, present, and future ones. Charley Pollard is there having been dragged from about the time of the (loving dreadful) just post-Divergent arc, as well as Bliss from the Time War boxsets...but not Bliss as she is there, but the person she would have been had the Time War not happened (timey-wimey, etc).

Don't recommend this boxset. Ravenous 4 is promising all the Masters (Beevers, Jacobi, Gomez, and Roberts, sans Macqueen) in Day of the Master, which will probably be a clusterfuck, but I'm down for that.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Review so far: Legacy of Time episode 1 is real good and has a good new character in it; Episode 2 is tedious and is mostly people from Counter Measures, a series I do not know anything about, being confused by time travel stuff for an hour :(

I found the character annoying a first - that's purposeful, Benny and River do the same...and then it dawned why Eight is travelling around with hyper-Charlie even before the plot reveal. Eight is so loving broken. :smith:

But, yeah, it's pretty good. Benny and River bounce off each other quite nicely - I hope they do more with them in the future honestly.

Also didn't like 2. 60's proto-UNIT just doesn't interest me as much as UNIT, and while the plot didn't confuse me, it has exactly the problems you listed of, "What are we doing in the past as we do this exact thing now?".

Further review: Episode 3 is good because the plot is a setup to let Jo and Kate go back to the UNIT era and have some drama there, rather than to show off a Clever Time Gimmick that requires continual explanation and exposition

3 was good as well. Thought we were going to be fobbed off for a moment with Kate talking to the Brig, (as in, we just hear one side of the conversation) but then it happened :unsmith:

4 with Jenny and Five was pretty fun. Obvious chemistry between father and daughter, and is making me consider checking out the Jenny stories.

5 was okay, but a bit bloated in parts.

And the final part was just okay. Was a bit, "yeah whatever" towards the end, but then got a big grin on my face hearing Tennant, Bradly and Hines cameo as Ten, One and Two.

All in all, I enjoyed it, and it feels a lot more polished compared to some of their other boxsets - probably because they've been working on it for so long. It's a nice celebration and showcase of just how far they've come in 20 years, and I wish I'd discovered them a lot sooner than I had.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Paul McGann for only £27!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

mehall posted:

Any recommendations from the sale?

Adding to Jerus' recommends;
The Light at the End - DW big glorious anniversary nonsense - it's been a pretty good starting point for getting people I know into BF as it's got all the (then) classic Doctors show casing them off.
Gallifrey: Intervention Earth - If people having been following the Gallifrey stuff, it's a interesting "What if?" with a fantastic cliff hanger immediately undone by the next boxset.
The Sixth Doctor - The Last Adventure - there's a really bad third episode and the arc doesn't really sustain itself too well, but it's a nice showcase for Colin Baker, and a tad more dignified then just banging his head on the console to turn into Seven. Also Michael Jayston is really good in it.
The First Doctor Adventures - it's very strange to get over the completely different cast, and Bradley is strangley breathless thoughout the whole thing, but it's okay. James Dreyfus makes a pretty good Master...just a shame he's a massive transphobe IRL. It's an okay listen, either way.
Short Trips and Companion Chronicles run the gamut of hidden gem, good, okay, mediocre, and "c'mon get on with it!".

Jerusalem posted:

- Dark Eyes I enjoyed, but was slightly letdown by purely because I'd heard people absolutely RAVE about it for years and went in expecting just a little bit more than I got.

I think it was because it was skirting as close as possible to the New Series, and that just excited people. A new look for McGann, new companions, it felt like, "Ooh! We're heading towards something!" I dunno :lol: And then it got bogged down in arc fatigue like a lot of the Eight boxsets do.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Voting Floater posted:

That's exactly how I feel about Dimensions in TIme. It's a total carcrash, but one I can't help staring at.

Kate O'Mara, seen here as the Rani ... is an actress

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cleretic posted:

Hi everyone, I'm working on an extremely bad idea, and could use your help!

I'm working on a music-based project (I'm not comfortable calling it anything more specific than that, because I have no idea what I'm doing), and I've realized there's part of it that could use, specifically, Classic Who music famously connected to the Daleks or Cybermen. I was going to go with their respective Murray Gold themes largely because I'm familiar with them and they're easy for me to find, but I think this project could use a touch of some good classic sci-fi synths and the like if at all possible.

Are there any that jump out to anyone here?

It might be worth looking at some of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop albums - which obviously was also responsible for much of the Classic Who soundscape, at least, early on.
Delia Derbyshire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyUkmxy5VMI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UekF1W7TxI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpdiMcEeTJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rnF7KRqGKo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fewiHTKKpXo

BBC RPWS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D8Qw-jmWC4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEuHrONba3k

And while not Who related - Barry Gray
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM-1kE2Lw_0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyvZKXTLA7U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuD6N5WyR9o

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The_Doctor posted:

Aww, baby Sontaran!

Please please please be spud baby.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Had a double-take at that headline.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cleretic posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCCiN/status/1180028546183512064

Because, as we all know, charity singles and Doctor Who are a match made in heaven!

"Doctor in dis Dress". :v:
Preferably with lyrics telling those pissbabies to get over their magic, face-changing, time-travelling, space wizard, being a woman.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 4, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

LividLiquid posted:

I miss those big moments. Thirteen seems really down-to-earth and human by comparrison and all her stories are self-contained.

I kinda like the contast. After 12, a more human approach feels the right way to go - she's still somewhat oblivious and alien, but it fits.

Same for the general lack of an story arc, it's what I personally enjoy, just hopping in and out of a story. Maybe that wasn't such a good idea for 13's first series - the second maybe - because they attempt to loosely thread some of the stories together with the tooth guy and weapon planet, and it just falls flat on its face come the finale because it's literally a "Who are you? Oh wait yeah...really, you again" moment."

The structure and plotting are the big story killers of the last series IMO - it comes so close to having a pretty okay story, and then veers off at the last minute, or you're left hanging for a resolution that never comes, but feels like it should - i.e the stuff with Ryan's dad, antagonists that don't go anywhere. Then there's the fact that Yaz has bugger all to do and gets barely any development.

And the new tone does make some of the bad jokes stick out more - that random bit in Resolution where the internet goes down and the family goes "Oh no. Guess we'll have to socalise." v:geno:v

Still digging the general direction, though :shobon:

[e]:
Also finally listened to Ravenous 4 - thank god that's over - the series started out pretty neat but dragged its way to the finale.

First story is the boxset standard stand-alone with nothing to do with the others (fine, if a bit bog standard), while the other three interlink.

Planet of Dust has the Beevers Master trying to find a tomb of artron energy to survive, because at this point he's hosed and actually dying, with even his eternal pain numbing.

Day of the Master is the final two part, and another long-awaited crossover of the various Master incarnations, though they only really come together at the end - on form as always. And everything is tied together, even that goddamed magic man I hated in the Ravenous 3 - still dislike that, even knowing now where they were going with it and there is a nice little coda of the Masters together ensuring Beever's new regeneration cycle, and a little nod to the McQueen Master - who sadly doesn't appear. It's Missy going, "Hello, you." as Beevers regenerates :allears:.

Short version; it's one of the better Ravenous boxsets. I hope they change up the companions soon - Liv and Helen are okay, but honestly it needs a new dynamic at this point.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 15, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fil5000 posted:

Is this in any way connected to the early main range audio Dust Breeding? Because I liked that one.

Aside from Dust in the titles and bookending the begining and end of the Beever's Master - none.

It's okay, but it's primary function is to set up the events of Day of the Master. Which I enjoyed.

Also, yeah, really don't like the Christmas specials for the most part - always been a bit of a humbug, and always found the Moffat ones mawkish and kind of unwatchable.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Yep.

Another foray into the wide "From the World ofDoctor Who* - Loosely Affiliated Monster Licence" range.

*Contains no actual Doctor Who - honest BBC, we swear please don't sue us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The_Doctor posted:

The Doctor Who Facebook story has posted some lovely clear console room shots, and it’s still unclear how it all fits together. Did you know there’s stairs? Also is that ceiling crystal and the blue bits on the joints new?

It's a cool set, but still feels so unfitting for the character of 13. Hope some of the changes allow for better coverage, or at least make it feel less cramped together.