Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As always, shameless self-advertising: An index of the write-ups I've done for all the Revival Episodes so far, as well as the (distressingly large number) of Big Finish Audios I've listened to so far.

Be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

Television
8th Doctor - TV Movie: The Enemy Within | The Night of the Doctor
War Doctor - The Day of the Doctor
9th Doctor - Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways
10th Doctor - The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday | The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Blink | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash | Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | The Unicorn and the Wasp | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End | The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time
11th Doctor - The Eleventh Hour | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol | The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe | Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor | The Day of the Doctor | The Time of the Doctor
12th Doctor - Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Heist | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forest of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas | The Magician's Apprentice | The Witch's Familiar | Under the Lake/Before the Flood | The Girl Who Died | The Woman Who Lived | The Zygon Invasion | The Zygon Inversion | Sleep No More | Face the Raven | Heaven Sent | Hell Bent | The Husbands of River Song |The Return of Doctor Mysterio | The Pilot | Smile | Thin Ice | Knock Knock | Oxygen | Extremis | The Pyramid at the End of the World | The Lie of the Land | Empress of Mars | The Eaters of Light | World Enough and Time | The Doctor Falls | Twice Upon A Time
13th Doctor - The Woman Who Fell to Earth | The Ghost Monument | Rosa | Arachnids in the UK | The Tsuranga Conundrum | Demons of the Punjab | Kerblam! | The Witchfinders | It Takes You Away | The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos | Resolution

Television Gifs
William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi | Jodie Whittaker

Audios
4th Doctor Adventures - Season One
5th Doctor - Phantasmagoria | The Land of the Dead | Red Dawn | Winter for the Adept | The Mutant Phase | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Nekromanteia | Creatures of Beauty | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea | Singularity | The Kingmaker | The Gathering/The Veiled Leopard | Circular Time | Renaissance of the Daleks | Exotron | Son of the Dragon | The Mind's Eye | The Bride of Peladon | The Haunting of Thomas Brewster | The Boy That Time Forgot | Time Reef | The Judgement of Isskar | The Destroyer of Delights | The Chaos Pool
6th Doctor - Whispers of Terror | The Marian Conspiracy | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Bloodtide | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | ...ish | The Sandman | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Project: Lazarus | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water | Pier Pressure | The Nowhere Place | The Reaping | Year of the Pig | I.D | The Wishing Beast | 100 | The Condemned | Assassin in the Limelight | The Doomwood Curse | Brotherhood of the Daleks | Return of the Krotons | The Raincloud Man | Patient Zero | Paper Cuts | Blue Forgotten Planet
7th Doctor - The Fearmonger | The Genocide Machine | The Fires of Vulcan | The Shadow of the Scourge | Dust Breeding | Colditz | The Rapture | Bang-Bang-a-Boom! | The Dark Flame | Project: Lazarus | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | Live 34 | Night Thoughts | The Settling | Red | No Man's Land | Nocturne | Valhalla | Frozen Time | The Dark Husband | The Death Collectors | Kingdom of Silver | Forty-Five | The Magic Mousetrap | Enemy of the Daleks | The Angel of Scutari
8th Doctor - Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat | Other Lives | Time Works | Something Inside | Memory Lane | Absolution | The Girl Who Never Was | The Company of Friends
8th Doctor Adventures Blood of the Daleks | The Horror of Glam Rock | Immortal Beloved | Phobos | No More Lies | Human Resources | Dead London | Max Warp | Brave New Town | The Skull of Sobek | Grand Theft Cosmos | The Zygon Who Fell to Earth | Sisters of the Flame | The Vengeance of Morbius | Orbis | The Hothouse | The Beast of Orlok | Wirrn Dawn | The Scapegoat | The Cannibalists | The Eight Truths | Worldwide Web | Death in Blackpool | (Bonus) An Earthly Child | Situation Vacant | Nevermore | The Book of Kells | Deimos/The Resurrection of Mars | Relative Dimensions | Prisoner of the Sun | Lucie Miller/To The Death | Dark Eyes 1
The War Doctor - Only the Monstrous | Infernal Devices | Agents of Chaos | Casualties of War
10th Doctor Adventures - Volume 1 | Volume 2
Big Finish Specials - The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion | UNIT: Extinction | UNIT: Shutdown | UNIT: Silenced | UNIT: Assembled | UNIT: Encounters | The Diary of River Song Volume 1 | The Diary of River Song Volume 2 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 1 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 2 | The War Master Volume One

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

I loved that talking frog, gently caress the haters.

Who the gently caress hates the sentient universe frog? I'll fight them in real life at Scrabble

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If it had faked that poor girl's death and revealed she was alive at the end because it wanted him to understand the pain he was going to cause without actually going as far as him, it would have blunted the (I'm positive unintentional) message of,"Corporations are acting in your best interest!" - the Doctor could have pointed to it as an example of the saboteur having fallen so far down the rabbithole of his cause that he'd become less "human" than a literal piece of software. Instead she gets killed and... basically it never gets addressed again at any point afterwards.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In the moment I thought Kerblam! was tremendous fun and was really happy at the end of the episode. Within a few minutes it was really sinking in just how hosed up a lot of what I'd just seen was, which has really colored my perception of it as a whole.

Love and Monsters was appallingly bad even in the moment to the point that I overlooked for a long time the few good things it actually did quite well. They're kind of the the reverse of each other in that respect.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

On paper it works for sure. The execution is what I found (drastically) lacking. I can totally buy the Absorbaloff as a literal representation of the lovely and nasty parts of fandom ruining everybody else's fun, but understanding that and being able to enjoy it were two different things for me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Keys of Marinus is very obviously a,"poo poo let's get a handful of loosely connected episodes together as quickly as possible!" but it still works pretty drat well. Especially the Doctor deciding to be lawyer with ZERO training or awareness of the culture whose laws have been broken.

Chokes McGee posted:

The absorbaloff was literally made by a 12 year old and I refuse to believe any deep thought went into Love and Monsters whatsoever.

The design was sure, RTD then did a pretty obvious "lovely fan who is toxic to everybody and the thing they purport to love" translation of it (maybe not necessarily Ian Levine specifically). The actual initial design was actually pretty cool for a school-kid idea. Sure it was basically just a 21st Century Blob, but A) they probably have no idea what the Blob is, and B) since when has Doctor Who been concerned about doing their own take on old horror sci-fi!?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was a lot of fun :)

Though seeing Whittaker in her older roles is a bit of a mindfuck now - "Come near my family again and I'll loving kill you!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SimplyCosmic posted:

But in Heaven Sent he straight up killed the Doctor. Full stop. The character we've followed for 50+ years died for the dumbest of reasons.

And then a duplicated lump of flesh strolled off with his face.

It was made pretty clear (at least to me) in the episode that the Confession Dial was a closed system with the same energy being recycled over and over and over again throughout it. The Doctor doesn't die, he just burns his physical body and the energy within is reconstituted in the form it was in back at the start of the cycle when he first teleported in (hence him losing the memories).

The REAL horror for me of that story is that despite having no memory of previous cycles at the start of the next one, whenever it gets to the end he tells "Clara" that he always remembers "all of it" at that point. Suggesting that he's suddenly getting hit with the memory of all his previous cycles. That's another aspect of the torture intended to break him, the inescapable knowledge of the sheer futility of continuing to fight and just how long he has been doing this now.

Of course he does anyway, and succeeds, because that's one hell of a bird :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

I sometimes think of the line "You have a 1% chance of survival. So what do you do? You concentrate on the one." its friggin powerful. thats the doctor who trait i most adore. optimism.
e: actually the line is "Your chances of survival are about one in a thousand. So here's what you do. You forget the thousand, and you concentrate on the one." but the sentiment is what i enjoy.

It gets brought up a lot and for good reason, but it's part of what makes Caves of Androzani so great.

"So I'm in a crashing spaceship plummeting towards Earth, I'm dying of some horrible poison, and some rear end in a top hat has a gun pointed at me... but there's a practical stranger on that planet down there who I only just met who needs help, so I'm not backing down!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

the military only has one tank.

Mike Watt borrowed the other one :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bad Wolf worked well as a neat recurring thing people could spot in the first season of the revival. Season 5 did a pretty solid job with the “Silence will Fall/Pandorica/Cracks” seeding. They also largely weren’t intrusive and tended not to call attention to themselves. Most of the other seasons felt like they were chasing after the same impact, but they were either poorly handled or got in the way of what viewers actually wanted, which was an eccentric alien traveling through time and space having adventures with at least one human(looking at least) companion.

For any other flaws season 11 might have had, I was certainly thrilled to not have to hear shoehorned in stuff like,”....no, not the mind probeHybrid!”

Though I did have a moment of panic with that dumb,”Timeless Child” line in The Ghost Monument, which thankfully went nowhere.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cleretic posted:

The back half of the season has some great moments of it, though. It's just that it's not what you think police knowledge and training is. She works to calm people, to collect information, to make things safe. The stuff that isn't usually spotlighted in media, fiction or non-fiction, but are really important police skills. I saw some of it in what little I saw of Broadchurch, too.

I love that, and I hope it becomes more prevalent in the next season. It's a nice character to have, not just in the show but in media in general.

Yeah it's a really nice addition to the show and I actually like how subtly it is is (for the most part) handled - especially the way the Doctor immediately looks to her to use those skills because she recognizes she is the best person to do it.

But as others mentioned, while that is a really nice thing to have, Yaz herself still feels painfully underdeveloped, especially in contrast to Ryan and Graham who get so much stuff to work with (and do a great job with it too).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In my opinion, she's a step above Martha in the development stakes but not really over anybody else. Rose had the running storyline of her growing dependence/misplaced romantic desire for the Doctor (10, anyway); Donna got to realize her true potential and deal with the inferiority complex that she masked with brash over-confidence; Amy learned to grow up and move on as a person with abandonment issues who wanted desperately to belong to something, learning how to make her own family and find a way to mesh her fantasy life with the real life; Rory realized that he wasn't the second-choice he thought he'd been his entire life, and grew and grew in confidence; Clara was a cipher who seemed to fit any role until a very specific reason for why she was like that was shown, and after 12 came along they developed a really fascinating quasi-toxic co-dependence on each other; then Bill was just this wonderfully self-confident person who knew exactly who and what she was, seeking self-improvement but knowing that in spite of wanting to better herself, that didn't make who she currently was in any way inferior or less than anybody else.

Martha was "Not-Rose" and right now Yaz is "Nice lady whose family want her to date, who is also skilled in the police skills that tend not to be focused on in the media."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm hoping that now that Graham and Ryan's have established their family ties remain strong, and Ryan has accepted Graham as his grandfather AND dealt with his father, that the next season is gonna give more focus to Yaz.

In 2020. When the next season airs.

:negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Looking at those pictures is like being bitten on the stomach by a horse.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

* Offer does not extend to Ian Levine

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Every so often I stop and think about how wonderful Tom Baker's cameo in Day of the Doctor is, and how people will probably try to figure out a way to "fit it in" somewhere but you really don't need to because gently caress it, it was the 50th so they got in Tom and God bless 'em for it :allears:

"If I were you.... oooooh if I were you... or perhaps I am. Or perhaps YOU are me? :haw:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I mostly managed to avoid all spoilers ahead of time so I had no idea. Even if I'd read it though I probably would have figured it was Tom being Tom and just because he said it was no guarantee he'd actually be in it.

Ironically the one "spoiler" I did see that stuck with me was Peter Davison photographed outside the BBC holding up a sign protesting not being in the episode, which (of course) ended up being part of The Five-ish Doctors which was also brilliant.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That made me look up when they're releasing the Series 11 boxset and.... THEY'RE NOT INCLUDING RESOLUTION ON IT! :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, they always include the Christmas (/New Year's) special with the next season, don't they?

In most cases, yes, which I almost always found annoying as the Xmas Special generally felt like an extension of the season just completed. It's doubly annoying this time since the New Year's Special aired like 3 weeks after the finale episode of series 11 did. At least in the past there was the excuse of,"We want the boxset out in time for people to buy it as a Christmas gift" but they didn't even have that excuse this time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Resolution comes out on DVD in Feb.

It should come out on Bluray in a week or so bundled in with the season 11 boxset :mad:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 12, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's nuts, Captain Rum is amazing.

"YOU HAVE A WOMAN'S HANDS! :cheers:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn imagine being so incensed and furious about a loving logo?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Honestly I can't really tell which would be sadder/more pathetic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I see season 11 has caught a bad case of Last Jedi syndrome over on Rotten Tomatoes (i.e. "audience score" pile-driven into the low 20s). I assume the usual suspects are to blame.

I assume the answer is ":lol: no" but do sites like this not have measures in place to remove or clear out obvious attempts to manipulate (for good or bad) scores?

Davros1 posted:

And, of course, the funniest thing is BF provides the option of reversible covers that have era appropriate logos.

Seriously! Everybody is catered to but people still get absolutely loving livid at just the thought that the possibility exists of something different.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Capaldi's hair was so beautiful by his final year :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Season 5 is definitely the very top. Take out the Silurian 2-parter (written by Chibnall, ironically) and basically every episode is excellent and the season arc is realized beautifully and everything ends perfectly.

"Something old, something new, something borrowed, something...... blue." :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tom Baker IS

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cleretic posted:

The Recon Dalek is a repulsive bully that hides behind its victims, and can do literally nothing without them.

Why this seems to fit with the original idea of them projecting power and superiority but really being a wretched pathetic creature almost worthy of pity!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You'd think he'd specifically called Doctor Who Magazine to tell this story, but the truth is he'd just ring any random number on the phone and tell it to anybody who'd listen.

EVERYBODY listened.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I never read Tom's quote from when he was asked about Whittaker being the Doctor:

quote:

Baker, 84, told GQ Magazine he was thrilled that Jodie, a former Shelley College student, had been picked for the role.

He said: “Maybe they’ll invite me back as her assistant in one scene or another. It would be very nice, wouldn’t it? In a sequence where she found me somewhere in some old people’s home, where actually perhaps there were several old Doctors.”

:3:

Edit: He also said his own pick would have been Dawn French, who would have been interesting for sure if perhaps a bit too well known for her comedy (even more so than Capaldi).

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 21, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Can somebody tell me Davison's hating there being a woman cast as the doctor didn't really happen or was a misunderstanding? Because every other doctor has been so lovely about it.

From memory he said it was sad boys had lost a non-violent, intellectual role model, then said that instead of mocking people who were losing their loving minds about a female Doctor, people should be more understanding and try to see things from their point of view to foster discussion and perhaps bring them around to the idea of a female Doctor that way. People quite understandably weren't particularly open to the idea of giving equal treatment to the "man-hating feminazi agenda is ruining my television show FOREVER" brigade and his reaction was to temporarily(?) suspend his Twitter account rather than engage any further and risk sticking his foot any further into his mouth.

Basically I think he was well-intentioned but really picked the wrong way to explain the point he was trying to make, and probably unwittingly found himself on the side of some pretty toxic, nasty people as a result.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

marktheando posted:

The Monks episodes were such a disappointment. I’d wanted a good three parter for a while and that’s what we got.

My current classic Who status is developing a headache from the sound effects in The Web Planet.

I can get past the costumes, the Vaseline smeared camera lenses, but that noise, that noise...

https://youtu.be/z6lUCZqKoV4

God yeah, the last time I did a whole series rewatch, I think that (and the recon of The Space Pirates) were the only times I had to struggle to actually get through to the end of the story. The sound gave me a minor headache too, I felt slightly nauseous watching it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dalek is actually pretty bad in most of the scenes/plot. It's just that the good stuff is SO GOOD that it makes up for a lot of the other shortcomings.

Resolution is a better episode overall/consistency wise, though it never hits the highs of Dalek. But then again it is always going to be difficult to make,"IT'S A DALEK!" hit as hard as that first appearance, considering there was some conjecture that the Daleks might end up not being part of the revival Doctor Who at all.

Edit: Also I don't want to look like I'm trying to sidle away from the racism conversation, because it's really good and interesting and I think it was (or should have been) one of the goals of Rosa to actually generate some level of conversation among people about racism in both its overt and covert forms.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tangentially related, but that moment where all the Doctor's rage and hatred culminates in him breaking down and despairing,"They're all dead, Rose :negative:" in what I believe is the first explicit demonstration of his utter grief/guilt is an incredible moment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Tosin Cole looks unhappy. IS HE LEAVING THE SHOW?!?!?

"You know all that character development you got last season?"
"Yeah? :haw:"
"Well this year it's Mandip's turn."
"gently caress."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I like him! I don't want him gone, I just think he (and Graham to be fair) got the bulk of the character work last season and I hope Yaz gets more next time.

I mean, ideally they should ALL get a ton of character development.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Might just be as simple as the location making a huge difference :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I certainly read that scene as intended to undercut the guy for being a self-important rear end in a top hat (which is why, as noted, he would have been better used as a one-off instead of returning in the finale), but I'm also not trans and don't have any experience with people using tactics like that on me in real life so who am I to say that it's not something that would bring up some bad associations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Raxicoricofallipitorius

Clom.