Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

boar guy posted:

probably trying to get back to what made it so popular. i liked 2205 a ton but it was a pretty huge departure from the rest of the series

The difference between the way you operated in different biomes was a nice touch IMO, but that was the continuation of 2070 ocean floor mechanics. But the orbital station and combat minigames were kind of a head-scratcher, like someone just shoved them in first and then came up with the benefits they provide, so people bothered to do them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If you wanted this on steam and you haven't pre-ordered, better do it now, cause the game is heading to the Epic store and won't be purchasable on steam after April 16th. :shrug:

You may always just skip epic and get it in uPlay directly, I preordered it in uplay anyway, because they give 20% discount for 100 of their u-points

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Thom12255 posted:

The fields in 1800 are so amazing. Though I'd really like global events from 2070 to make it over to 1800, makes the game feel more lively.

Now everything is jellyfish formation - trade union with farms in range, ring of warehouses just outside the range and tentacles of fields stretching outward to fulfill the field number requirement.
At least fields of different farms merge their fences, so it's not noticeable they're a bunch of tentacles and not one area.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Kinda tempted but I don''t know if i need it between having 1800 and Saitsfactory to satisfy my logistics games needs?
But I suppose at that price it's not a bad deal for something I'll probably get at least 40 hours out of.
Get X3:Terran Conflict for a fiver, it's a logistics game with a space sim on the side you could sink hundreds of hours into

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

dead gay comedy forums posted:

any tips for a crown falls general placement outline? It has so much space that I actually can't figure out a decent enough starting disposition besides using the oil harbor as the main industrial zone, haha

I think most people use it as a mega-city of investors and decorations, with all industry outsourced to the other islands.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Are tourist buildings like bar/cafe/restaurant worthwhile to build in the residential areas to reduce consumption of goods/increase happiness/number of residents and not specifically to please tourists?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

dividertabs posted:

In 1800 I never have enough Influence; is there any reason to make carriages for my Investors? Meeting Investor needs doesn't increase Influence at all, correct? I hope the High Life DLC does something to incentivize it.

Yes, influence comes from investor houses, not from investors. So if your goal is pure influence you can upgrade engineer houses and stop supplying them, letting them survive on pure electricity or whatever.
Supplying them only gets you more money and more investors(in case you need them for uhh, exhibition discount I guess?).
Granted you also get influence from total population, but the population needed for next level seems to grow non-linearly, so that isn't a practical way to get it once you're past 100k population or so.
There's also one of palace policies making engineer residences give 1 influence if they're in town hall range, so you could use that to get influence from actually useful workforce.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 2, 2021

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

victrix posted:

And then on top of that, I loaded a ship up with 50t of theoretically high morale goods on top of meeting all needs for the expedition and I'm still sitting at 26% Morale?

What am I missing here:

You're missing that goods aren't great for expeditions, items are way better.
For example ship's chaplain is just a blue item but gives more than bread and guns stacks:
Faith:+25
Naval Power: +35
Navigation: +15
Champagne and schnapps are the rations to use, but the rest should be items. Also when expedition calls for naval power, use a military ship.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

victrix posted:

What determines a ship's starting morale? Some ships seem to have a way higher base morale but I can't figure out what's influencing it

Ships have built-in navigation/naval power values, you can see them in a tooltip while selecting the ship, so that reflects on morale
Clippers and cargo ships have 20 navigation but no naval power, ships of the line have 0 navigation but 50 naval power, frigates have 10 navigation and 20 power.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Anyways, does anyone have any suggestions for the title of an 1800 LP thread? I'm thinking something about a "Plate spinning simulator" but any other ideas would be welcome.

Call it "An explosion of high productivity"

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I have discovered that in the Arctic DLC for 1800, huskies are a resource you farm.

I take back many of the bad things I've said about this game. :v:

Good if somewhat low-polygon boys

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Ubik_Lives posted:

So creating tractors gives the biggest return when your main restriction is population, not land size or building maintenance. And one fuel station can support twenty farms over quite a large distance, so you can just carpet a mid-sized island in coffee, tobacco or cotton, depending on what you need.
The restriction is more often land size, what with new world islands being full of mountains and rivers, also you pay for land in influence which is also a far more limited currency.
Also docklands don't let you import many raw new world goods, so you can't weasel out of growing cotton, sugar, corn and orchards that tourist buildings need.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Mayveena posted:

The worst one is the canned food ratios, those are insane and there's no need to make it 100% efficient as you'll go bankrupt in the process.

The most efficient way is to not make canned food, unmodified canned food chain actually loses you money, so if you see that trade union guy replacing goulash to pigs pay any money they're asking.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

Aside from the Attractiveness bonus, is there a reason to build, say a Docklands Pier as opposed to a normal harbor Pier?

And I do still need my basic Trading Post, right? It doesn't seem like Docklands has its own storage, just storage enhancements?

Docklands pier is slightly smaller, also usually in range of harbourmaster items inserted in docklands so you can load it up on "get free stuff when trades happen" items. The big thing with docklands is the loading speed increase modules - no more queues everyone loads and unloads in seconds, but those work on regular piers too I think.

You still need the trading post, docklands main module doesn't replace it. Docklands warehouses are way more compact and with fully built up docklands get you something like 4000 extra storage, not to mention attractiveness.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Eschatos posted:

If so, it feels like going with cargo ships would absolutely be the optimal play, since they have more equipment slots. So two cargos would end up collectively faster than one reefer for the same amount of influence.

Reefer has a built-in bonus, it's twice as fast on the world map compared to other ship of same speed. So even without items it crosses the ocean as if it had speed of 22.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 9, 2021

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Mayveena posted:

Uh no? Why would I? So confused

Because shampoo is made from cinnamon and coconut oil for the tourists, and shampoo is required earlier than lemonade which requires citrus.
Anyway, it's the same orchard building that makes jam in the old world, but you'll need a whole island of them in the new world set to different products.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

With the connection dropping it makes me wonder if it's actually an issue with Uplay, maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling Uplay?

I played Anno on spotty connection before - it never crashed, just pops up the overlay icon when connection is lost or restored.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Docklands are great, especially for mined resources. In one dock you can pull in something like 8000 ore every 20 minutes, depending how many warehouses you put down. That's 50 electrified iron mines, more than you can find on all islands put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

webmeister posted:

The only exception to the above is to sell off all your excess soap to the prison guy (Eli), and once you get to the New World sell rum to the pirate lady.

That's not entirely correct, you can sometimes make profit on trading between NPCs.
A big one is buying gold bars from pirates for 2770 and selling them to Nate in cape Trelawny for 4432.
I think there's also profit in buying some advanced goods from Archibald and selling them in Enbessa.
The quantities are fairly limited, so you probably won't use more than 1-2 ships for these trades, but they're worthwhile, especially when set up with items lowering the prices.

Also if NPC towns are buying something specifically, then the prices they offer are better than just setting your island to export.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 6, 2023