Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jabor posted:

I was actually just coming to this thread to ask for something like this, lmao

I'm at about ... 5 hours, loving it so far, but I'm feeling a little stuck at about the Hard level on the OST. (Except for the Camellia stuff, which seems like a step up from everything else, but Normal on those songs still feels a bit too easy). Is this set of songs good for skilling up from where I am now, or would I need to get some more reps in first before I can really tackle them?

I find I mostly end up losing a song when I get out of sync on a fast rhythm section - I'm hitting every note with the perfect tempo, in the exact opposite direction of what I'm supposed to. Does anyone have any tips for recovering from that, or is it a matter of keeping the timing well enough to never end up in that situation?

The first 4 songs in level 1 are all stuff I was playing within my first few days, but passing them isn't something that necessarily comes easy. I think it was my second day playing, and it took me like 20-30 tries in a row to pass fuel. I'd say try the ones in level 1 out to see what you are up against. If you think you are ready to grind through them, have at it. If not, play some random stuff and come back. The list does represent quite a steep difficulty curve as it progresses, so don't get frustrated if you can't jump from the stuff in one level to another immediately as well. Also, don't be afraid to play with failing off to get a feel for the songs. Once you get above 60% on something, you might be ready to go for pass attempts.

The first boss song probably took a week or so before I was able to clear it, and level 2 stuff was about a week in, but the boss song might actually be more difficult than a few of the songs in level 2 due to one section in the middle.

edit: also, don't be afraid to try one difficulty level down on some of the stuff in the second level as an extension of the first level. At some point I didn't really bother to check anything but the highest level chart for songs in most cases, but early on there were some good non-"expert +" level maps in there.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It turns out all I really needed to do to step up to expert was to play some actually good and not completely arbitrary songs/maps!

I grabbed level 1 from your list, and then a bunch of other stuff that caught my eye. The first thing I actually finished on expert was Money for Nothing, which seems like it hits a good difficulty point for me right now since I can win it handily at the start of a session but not later on once I'm tired.

We'll see about stepping up to E+.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jabor posted:

It turns out all I really needed to do to step up to expert was to play some actually good and not completely arbitrary songs/maps!

I grabbed level 1 from your list, and then a bunch of other stuff that caught my eye. The first thing I actually finished on expert was Money for Nothing, which seems like it hits a good difficulty point for me right now since I can win it handily at the start of a session but not later on once I'm tired.

We'll see about stepping up to E+.

Outside of the base game, the individual difficulty levels are pretty arbitrary and meaningless. One person's expert+ chart could have 4.15 notes per second and be rather easy while another person's hard could have 5.80 notes per second and be much more difficult. Even if you just go by the notes per second metric solely, there are other factors that bring challenge to maps. Some of the stuff in level 2 on my list might have 6 or 7 notes per second (but still be relatively easy and intuitive) while one of the songs in level 5 has in the 5 notes per second range which is very low at that level of map, but is months of almost daily play apart from the level 2 ones in difficulty. It really is a mixed barrel, and you just havta play through a lot of BS to find songs you like and want to practice.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I may just be behind on whatever mod manager is current but for my install I haven't been able to update mods and have the in-game song downloader work (on PC). I play probably once a week with a few longer gaps recently. Am I just getting unlucky related to update timing or am I missing something regarding that for the current versions of Beat Saber?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BabyRyoga posted:

Outside of the base game, the individual difficulty levels are pretty arbitrary and meaningless. One person's expert+ chart could have 4.15 notes per second and be rather easy while another person's hard could have 5.80 notes per second and be much more difficult. Even if you just go by the notes per second metric solely, there are other factors that bring challenge to maps. Some of the stuff in level 2 on my list might have 6 or 7 notes per second (but still be relatively easy and intuitive) while one of the songs in level 5 has in the 5 notes per second range which is very low at that level of map, but is months of almost daily play apart from the level 2 ones in difficulty. It really is a mixed barrel, and you just havta play through a lot of BS to find songs you like and want to practice.

Stuff is getting into the 10+ notes per second now. Think I played one last night that was 14?

drunkenmonkeystyle
Jan 16, 2020

Gonk!!

I just started a few weeks ago and I am just getting into 4+ beats per minute, but drat today kinda killed all my mood to play today.

Everything was just going wrong. My Headset was not registering that I was trying to open SteamVR .
YUR was not recording after I had restarted my headset because my left hand controller shut down when I sat it down to crack open a window while in beat saber which caused the haptic feedback to stop. So after restarting my headset again and reconnecting everything it was doing okay but I just was missing all the time, the fact that I was having people message me and I couldn't stop it thanks to steamvr was the final straw. I sat it down after 30 minutes of play and walked away. About an hour later I went back and started playing again and I was getting into it and hitting expert - listed songs. But after about an hour and during a wall you had to squat under the game/steam/headset or something decided to reset my position and I was then finishing the game as if I was two feet tall. Resetting the floor and attempting to reset my position on steam did nothing.

All in all though I am glad I am now hitting expert-listed tracks but everything that happened when playing just got under my skin.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Some days just suck. Also, do you have the auto-height stuff in BS enabled?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah if so, Disable that poo poo.

Pro-Tip.

Stand in your normal stance for playing, then hit calibrate. Take about .2m off your height because it adjusts the grid based on those numbers. Yes, you have to duck slightly more on ducking walls, but whatever. It'll make things a bit easier on the harder stuff later. Game IDs me at 1.8/1.7, I drop to 1.4. Can really suck for long ducking walls but meh, very few maps that are fun or interesting have long rear end ducking walls.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 23, 2020

drunkenmonkeystyle
Jan 16, 2020

Gonk!!

Combat Pretzel posted:

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah if so, Disable that poo poo.

Pro-Tip.

Stand in your normal stance for playing, then hit calibrate. Take about .2m off your height because it adjusts the grid based on those numbers. Yes, you have to duck slightly more on ducking walls, but whatever. It'll make things a bit easier on the harder stuff later. Game IDs me at 1.8/1.7, I drop to 1.4. Can really suck for long ducking walls but meh, very few maps that are fun or interesting have long rear end ducking walls.

I had it disabled - I will check it out tomorrow to see if it somehow got reenabled.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
How do you manually adjust it? Duck down a bit before hitting calibrate?

drunkenmonkeystyle
Jan 16, 2020

Gonk!!

Jabor posted:

Yeah thats what I do

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jabor posted:

Yup. That’s it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So I'm making things unnecessarily hard on myself, or y'all are kind of cheating? Because I'm 1.75m and the game calibrated itself to 1.7 on first start. Never changed that so far. The grid could be a little tighter, but not really lower.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Welp, I just tried with calibrating it to a lower height, and I didn't notice much in the way of notes being closer together (maybe a tiny bit), but I *did* notice it being a real pain in the back to hit big strings of low notes.

So I guess it's mainly a "I'm playing insane songs with ridiculous jumps and want to make them more manageable" thing, or perhaps "I play for 4+ hours at a stretch so even a little bit less movement really helps". Do you guys gently caress with the floor height calibration to bring the notes back up off the floor, or are you all just really flexible?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jabor posted:

Welp, I just tried with calibrating it to a lower height, and I didn't notice much in the way of notes being closer together (maybe a tiny bit), but I *did* notice it being a real pain in the back to hit big strings of low notes.

So I guess it's mainly a "I'm playing insane songs with ridiculous jumps and want to make them more manageable" thing, or perhaps "I play for 4+ hours at a stretch so even a little bit less movement really helps". Do you guys gently caress with the floor height calibration to bring the notes back up off the floor, or are you all just really flexible?

If shits too low, your floors probably too low. Do a floor fix.

Height shouldn’t make the notes so low it feel weird.

And yes. It’s not a giant change. It’s enough to help a little with hard poo poo and higher end maps. Its not going to make the maps trivial :)

drunkenmonkeystyle
Jan 16, 2020

Gonk!!

After that day its gotten better - I have been doing about 1 or 2 hours a day and have managed to start consistently beating 3+ bloqs per second songs so I am happy there. I am slowly getting better but I do enjoy dancing around while I play the game, it makes it more fun and since I am in my apartment no one is gonna say poo poo to me here for looking goofy.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've just been told I'm directly responsible for this happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kilWnla1bwk

The producer for the show is one of my friends and got the idea from watching me play it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Not available in the US, drat

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Its wild to me how slow this game is to release music packs (yes I know custom songs exist)

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Necrothatcher posted:

I've just been told I'm directly responsible for this happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kilWnla1bwk

The producer for the show is one of my friends and got the idea from watching me play it.
Nice one, now get Dick and Dom to play completive Pistol Whip.

(I loving hate Ant and Dec most of the time but this was fun, thanks for sharing!)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
New doom wall map coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8arRphzeiDE

Its gud. Real gud. Probably my fav map right now.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Has anyone found a decent map for any of the tracks on JunkieXL's soundtrack to Alita?

Only just got the game so may be looking in the wrong place, I downloaded the standard mod and have searched there as well as on BeastSaber, there is only a terrible out-of-sync map of the Dua Lipa song from the soundtrack.

I'd be so surprised if there is no map for 'Motorball', (a) because it's an awesome track and totally perfect (I reckon) for a Beatsaber map, and (b) because half the most popular tracks in BeatSaber, like with all the other rhythm games, seem to be anime music... and Alita is literally a movie about an anime girl.

e: if I have to make a map myself I will but it will probably be shite given that I've only recently started playing :/

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 1, 2020

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Skyarb posted:

Its wild to me how slow this game is to release music packs (yes I know custom songs exist)

Playing on PSVR, I agree. I wish Sony could pull some strings and release video game related packs. I'd pay top dollar for that.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So I was really surprised when I picked up Beat Saber that no-one had mapped any of Junkie XL's soundtrack to Alita: Battle Angel - I mean it's a really popular film in the nerd community (for good reason, it's great) but also the soundtrack kicks arse. The only Junkie XL soundtrack I've actually seen that's been mapped is 'Brothers in Arms' from Mad Max. Heisenberggirl mapped that one and it's pretty great: https://bsaber.com/?p=1144105

Anyhow I set out about mapping 'Motorball' from the Alita OST. It's a really awesome track, if you like epic movie soundtracks with an electronic veneer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K_CzTLFpAA
I've only done the expert level so far (it's a big track, around 5 minutes).

Does anyone want to playtest it for me by any chance? I'm pretty happy with it, not expecting it to be the best map ever or anything but it's challenging, flows well enough and it's closely fitted to the music. I'm a musician so I have an actual understanding of rhythm which hopefully has helped.

Not 100% sure whether it should be labelled as Expert or Expert+, as there are some bits which are very fast paced with lots of wide opposing and crosshanded swings, plus fast drum-roll type bits.

If anyone's up for giving it a try, please do check it out and let me know what you think: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Kb0e00QXfkWbna7tMMa0Snz15-wNgh7z

Map info:
Map: 'Motorball' from Alita OST - Junkie XL
Length: 5:15
BPM: 90
Difficulty: Expert
Status: Fully mapped, only automatic lighting applied so far though

EDIT: final versions of the map on bsaber.com here (expert) and here (expert+)

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 13, 2020

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
Is there a good place to request maps for songs that won't make me feel like I'm just going "HEY MAKE ME THINGS PLZZ"? (even though I guess that's literally what it is anyway don't judge me)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Just want to say that I've bee really enjoying how "My Time" mapped by SkylerWallace makes me feel like a ninja badass when I'm not failing the song, which is a lot of the time right now as I haven't managed to finish it yet.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’ve been playing a ton of this on PSVR lately and getting halfway decent. What’s the cheapest way I could get a moddable VR setup going? I really would love to make and play custom songs but it’s a bit hard to justify the price tag for just this game.

Also the Move controllers are quite heavy. Are other VR controllers lighter?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

dantheman650 posted:

I’ve been playing a ton of this on PSVR lately and getting halfway decent. What’s the cheapest way I could get a moddable VR setup going? I really would love to make and play custom songs but it’s a bit hard to justify the price tag for just this game.

Also the Move controllers are quite heavy. Are other VR controllers lighter?

Custom songs is different than moddable. Quest has custom songs, but a very low number of mods, and only for Beat Saber.

When you talk moddable you really mean PCVR, so cost needs to assume you have a PC. In which case a quest and rift-s will be about the same cost, and your decision points will be if you would prefer a more flexible setup with the Quest (since it can do standalone mobile) or a higher performing/higher quality Rift-S setup.

The move controllers are middle of the line for weight, though the weight distribution might make them seem heavier. The Quest/Rift-S controllers are the second lightest a little out towards your index finger but still mostly towards the center of your palm so they will seem exceptionally light. Different grips can change this.
Weight distribution is largely a personal preference thing related to your desired technique.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I honestly still cannot believe how slow content is to drop on the official game.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Skyarb posted:

I honestly still cannot believe how slow content is to drop on the official game.

Seriously. I’d gladly throw down $30 for a whole bunch of new songs and backgrounds.

drunkenmonkeystyle
Jan 16, 2020

Gonk!!

Have you guys been watching what modders have been doing in the wall art tag recently? Some really trippy stuff happening in there.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

drunkenmonkeystyle posted:

Have you guys been watching what modders have been doing in the wall art tag recently? Some really trippy stuff happening in there.

Got any good links?

Unrelated, unless I’m missing something, the only way to get onto the leaderboards is to use both Faster Song and Ghost Notes for the highest multiplier, meaning if you want to place, it becomes the default way to play. This is an utterly baffling decision. I feel like there should be separate leaderboards for using song modifiers. Maybe there is and I’m just missing it?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

dantheman650 posted:

Got any good links?

Unrelated, unless I’m missing something, the only way to get onto the leaderboards is to use both Faster Song and Ghost Notes for the highest multiplier, meaning if you want to place, it becomes the default way to play. This is an utterly baffling decision. I feel like there should be separate leaderboards for using song modifiers. Maybe there is and I’m just missing it?

https://beatsaver.com/beatmap/a6f8

https://beatsaver.com/beatmap/a2dd

https://beatsaver.com/beatmap/a1f1

theres tons now. Thats just one dude whos making GBS threads em out currently.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Is there a way to slightly slow the note track of songs? Someone linked me to a no-fail related option, but it doesn't seem like I'd be able to use it on the Quest version. I've found some maps that seem perfectly doable for the most part but the fact that the note speed multiplier (i.e. how fast the notes travel between spawning and getting to you) is absolutely terrible is keeping me from enjoying the flow of the song, instead forcing me into fucky twitch-motion mode instead.

EDIT: For those that played DDR back in the day, I'm looking for something that would be equivalent to putting the .5 or 1.5x modifiers on a track.

Aqua_D fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 2, 2020

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Deeturbomber posted:

Is there a way to slightly slow the note track of songs? Someone linked me to a no-fail related option, but it doesn't seem like I'd be able to use it on the Quest version. I've found some maps that seem perfectly doable for the most part but the fact that the note speed multiplier (i.e. how fast the notes travel between spawning and getting to you) is absolutely terrible is keeping me from enjoying the flow of the song, instead forcing me into fucky twitch-motion mode instead.

EDIT: For those that played DDR back in the day, I'm looking for something that would be equivalent to putting the .5 or 1.5x modifiers on a track.

I haven't personally tried this (but now I might that you've given me the idea!) but can you edit the info.dat file for the song and change the _noteJumpMovementSpeed value for the difficulty you want to change?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
https://twitter.com/BeatSaber/status/1270327087086407681?s=19

Nobody ever notices poor practice mode.

Theres also the slower/faster song modifiers but practice mode lets you get granular with the speed setting.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

Theres also the slower/faster song modifiers but practice mode lets you get granular with the speed setting.

I thought that changes the song speed itself? I messed around with something like that but it made the song itself play slower. I just want the scroll speed slowed a bit.

EDIT: It's not a matter of -the song- being too fast, it's a matter of the scroll speed being set to an insanely high setting on the songs in question.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Oh sorry, misunderstood.

I think a plugin called 'beat saber tweaks' has the setting your looking for but I don't know if it's available for quest.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mr Phillby posted:

Yeah that don’t effect njs. And njs is the issue.

Practice mod. Assuming it exists for quest still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is it just a wrong impression, or did mapping for Beat Saber slow down? Is there a new game everyone's migrated to?