Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"The Bevilaqua Kid" would make a pretty good band name.

These are fantastic and make me want to start a rewatch that much more.

Midgetskydiver posted:

What's your favorite scene from the whole series?

I don't know if the whole scene counts, but I think this is my favorite moment:

Just look at the ACTING Gandolfini does in like 3 seconds with just his eyes. It's phenomenal. (Also, I think about it every time I want to end a conversation with somebody. Just turn tail and run.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Jerusalem posted:

Season 1, Episode 4 - Meadowlands

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/908178868078628871

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

If it had hit 3 years later, Cleaver would've been a huge hit for Blumhouse. $10m opening weekend, easily.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

junior pushing the pie into his old girl's face is one of the saddest moments in the series, and also hilarious

There is a lot of really uncomfortable stuff that happens in the show that I've forgotten over time (I rewatched University a few weeks ago and had no recollection of the litany of awful things Tracee goes through before she and Ralph have their meeting in the parking lot*) but the pie scene always stuck with me. The writing lays their history on a little thick, but the performances do a lot of the work in building Junior and Bobbi's relationship and making it feel real. Chianese and Robyn Peterson have a good chemistry and their early happy scenes seem genuine, making his cold dismissal that much more powerful.

(*I also forgot that this gets punctuated with a rough chuckle when the dude in the SUV pulls up as they stand around her body; "HEY, IS THIS PLACE OPEN???")

crispix posted:

Tony dancing drunk to James Brown is one of my favourite scenes in the whole series and it is amazing how his antics bely the seriousness of what happened that evening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYCYonmN9PU

"You smell like Lord Calvert" - funny that for being a boss, Tony is suckin' down bottom shelf Canadian whisky. I had the same issue with Mad Men, where Don's drink of choice was Canadian Club. I'd wager that it was because the bottle design has remained pretty consistent in the last 50 years, so it quickly reads on camera for the viewer, but I always found it funny that as a millionaire jet setter Draper was pouring glass after glass of a drink I would charitably characterize as "thin." I guess in both cases it speaks to their lower class upbringing shining through their cultivated image.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 1, 2019

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm of two minds about this revelation. On the one hand it feels extremely, extremely, extremely television to have a character just out of nowhere have these vivid visual/auditory hallucinations which in real life would probably be the result of a psychic break if not preceded by months or years of slowly ramping up symptoms. On the other hand, it's a visual medium and the fantasy of Isabella nursing the baby is rather incredible. It's a step outside of the dreamscapes that the show feels more comfortable with though, and bringing that dreamlike concept into "real life" feels a bit too on the nose to me.

"Character spends an entire episode having extensive interactions with imaginary figure" is maybe my least favorite TV drama trope - doubly so when the hallucination takes place in a public setting or pulls in other, real characters. It's a testament to how good the rest of this episode is that I can give it a pass here.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Paulie definitely cared, he just had a hard time expressing it.

"It's not a real general, from history - it's you!"

Mahoning posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the woman who played Ginny not really an actress and went on an audition on a whim or something? I thought I recall reading that.

Yep, it was an open casting call in the Tri-state area. She got talked into going to support a friend and figured as long as she was there, she might as well read for the part as well.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I saw Eagleheart before I finished the Sopranos and their homage completely flew past me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU5IMSOzbeg

Also, weird to think that these people were seemingly unfazed by the literal gangland execution that they witnessed seconds earlier. "Two gunshots just a few yards away from me? Better keep loading these groceries. A man's head getting crushed, though, that would be wild."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dawgstar posted:

This is James Gandolfini's son Michael as Young Tony in the Soproanos prequel.

Wow, you know? I mean, i know they're related, but...

I really started noticing the resemblance on the most recent season of The Deuce. He's got the same build as his dad and even carries himself the same way.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

crispix posted:

I like how Tony always reads the cereal box when he is having breakfast :yum:

(Shoutouts to @tomselleck69; I think about Gandolfini saying "breakfast box" a lot more than is healthy for a person. Also only after reading Jerusalem's recap and watching the scene in question did I realize what scene he was using for photoreference)

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

What’s YOUR Honeycomb I.Q.?

Imagine if he'd brought this up with Melfi later; "Even the fucken breakfast box is treatin' me like I'm some kinna deficient."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Fuckin Matush, ruining everything.

That dude completely sucks

- IMMEDIATELY bugs out as getaway driver at the card game stickup
- Kills a dude inside the Crazy Horse, increasing FBI pressure on Adrianna
- Eventually works with Al Qaeda?

Just more Sopranos dark comedy - screwing up will get you killed, but the habitual idiots seem to live forever

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Midgetskydiver posted:

Meadow becoming at least a semi-decent person is one of the few positive outcomes of the show. She really had the deck stacked against her and came out with at least a semblance of a conscience.

See, I always read her progression toward the end of the series as a sign that she was just Carmella with a work ethic. Yeah, she was going to law school and all that, but she says she wants to defend people like her father who are getting harassed by law enforcement. Feels like she's on her way to staying connected with her father's world rather than going on to be a champion for the truly downtrodden.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

BiggerBoat posted:

Speaking of suicides, successful or otherwise, what's the tally on that?

Artie, Eugene, AJ, Gloria, the cop who jumped off a bridge, Dominic...feel like I'm forgetting several

Doesn't Meadow say something in a late season episode about a college classmate attempting/committing suicide, with the implication that it was her unstable roommate?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Sean and that Bevilaqua kid gently caress up so hard and so fast.

Big Dick Cheney posted:

I always wondered: could the cops theoretically trace a poo poo? Can you tie a turd to an individual, like DNA?

Apparently, yes. A cursory Google search says that, in addition to the DNA of anything you ate as well as DNA from gut microbes, cells from your intestinal lining leech on to every movement and can be tested if it's, uh, fresh enough.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I always chuckle when I see the thumbnail for this episode on HBO Go/Now. It's Richie at the table with his arms spread, looking incredulous. It seems completely innocuous if you don't know what actually happens in the episode.

That's a moment that I almost wish Twitter - or hell, even liveposting forum threads - had been around for in April of 2000. The Tony/Richie conflict has been building to a head for two and a half months, now he's got Junior in his corner with inside information...and then Janice, of all people, takes him out in the blink of an eye. Since I only saw the show via Netflix by disc/HBO on demand years after it ended, I can only imagine how fun it must have been to watch live. (My college roommate was a friend from high school, and he was very religious - his family was in the Pentecostal Holiness church. Nevertheless, they all watched the Sopranos, and were obsessed with it. I remember a weekend in our Freshman year when his extended family came to visit, sitting with them at a table in the dining hall while all these good, upstanding Christian people are breaking down the dirty details of who got whacked and what Ralphie did to get under Tony's skin. "Do you watch the show," his mother asked. I said no, my parents didn't subscribe to HBO, and at the time the DVD sets were still upwards of $100. "Oh, you've gotta start. Get you good and corrupted.")

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Torquemada posted:

There is, I have it! It’s pretty entertaining. The recipes are useful if you don’t really cook a lot, as they’re quite basic. It’s written as if Artie is writing his own cookbook, and asking all his Italian friends for their own recipes. Whoever oversaw the writing did a great job, because the interviews and asides are a very creditable impression of the show’s characters.

What's Tony's recipe, "Rolled-up cold cuts?"

I was looking it up on Amazon and found that the cookbook got a sequel of sorts in Carmella's guide to being a good hostess.

Speaking of weird tangential Sopranos material, who's going to play the "Road to Respect" PS2 game and give us the synopsis?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The only episode I remember disliking on my original viewing of the show was Luxury Lounge. It felt like some final season wheel-spinning, and got a little too cute for its own good with the celeb cameos. (Also...it's a Matt Weiner-penned episode that sends the characters to California and has them get caught up in all kinds of 'Wow, LA sure is different than NY!' stuff, and those tended to be lesser Mad Men episodes for me as well.)

Ishamael posted:

Now, we can have a bigger discussion as to whether there was any need for anything that happened in the series, since there was not really an overarching "plot" per se. I always assumed that the story would end with the end of his therapy, since that seemed to be the driving "point" of the show. When the show continued past the end of therapy I realized that Chase probably didn't see it as one long story, and instead saw it as a series of vignettes about this interesting character of Tony Soprano. Which is fine, but I think it's a bit less satisfying than seeing a story where all the parts contribute to an ending that completes the arcs before it.

Given that Chase's original conceit started with a story about a mobster dealing with his mother, I think if there was any concept of an overarching plot for the series it fell away with Marchand's death. Like crazy eyes mustafa said a few posts up, Season 3 is kind of a lumpy, fragmented thing where a few plot threads are introduced that carry forward into the future, some arcs are introduced and done in the span of two or three episodes, and the "tragedy" of Jackie Jr. is the only real throughline I can think of that's introduced and resolved over the course of the season (And even that's heavily backloaded.)

Also, Tony's therapy did end in the penultimate episode - but Melfi's revelation and reasoning for finally cutting Tony out of her life is very rushed.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
If you have 3,500 "boxes of ziti" lying around, the Sopranos homestead can be yours.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ishamael posted:

This last one has a really excellent reading of the final scene of the show, here is part of it:

That's a great take. I also hadn't connected the parallels with the Season 1 finale, which are just fantastic.

Ishamael posted:

I never really liked the idea that Chase was trying to show us that Tony lived in constant fear, because that never seemed like Tony. Plus his enemies were defeated and there was no active threat, just a vague looming problem in the future with the new rat.

Remember, in the span of like a month he's killed his protege, his brother-in-law has been killed and his consigliere is in a potentially persistent vegetative state. His son just attempted suicide, and his daughter is engaged to the son of one of his soldiers - a soldier who knows that Tony had his twin brother killed. Another capo has disappeared and it's just been confirmed he didn't just get picked up by the feds, but he's flipped; unlike every other guy who has squealed this one apparently has actionable info. Uncle Junior has entered the end stages of dementia, eliminating an ally, a mentor and his last line of defense for deflecting any legal troubles. He survived the war with New York after making a handshake deal with another boss, but he knows exactly how much a made guy's word is worth these days. His therapist, who arguably provided the only outlet that kept him "sane" for the last decade, has cut him loose without warning.

I agree that Tony doesn't live in "constant fear," but there's no ignoring the quiet, pervasive anxiety of living the life he's chosen. It's the thing that triggered his panic attacks as he faced being the acting boss in the pilot, and his situation has only gotten worse since then. The diner sequence is the encapsulation of what Tony's life is going forward. The "vague looming problem" will always be there, at the back of his mind; "remember the good times" is all he can do at this point because he'll never again be truly present in the moment to enjoy what he has.

Tony Soprano doesn't need to die, because he's already in Hell.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ornithology posted:

Just re-watched the episode where Tony kills Christopher and I was a bit dissapointed. Besides that major plot point and a few scenes showing how out of touch Tony is (like when he asks Carmella if she felt relieved), the rest of the episode felt a bit irrelevant with regard to him going to Vegas. I'm not sure the point of his gambling and doing peyote. Except maybe just to sleep with one of Christopher's women to get payback for him banging real estate lady but that felt like a lot of screen time devoted to a small petty action.

I really like "Kennedy & Heidi" because it feels like Matthew Weiner's working out the ideas of Mad Men in miniature in that episode. A man who has everything is given exactly what he wants, seizing an opportunity to take care of a persistent issue he thinks is the impediment to his happiness, only to learn that at his core he's still miserable. (A lot of Weiner's scripts, especially toward the end of the series, feel tonally akin to what he went on to do with Mad Men; outside of the gang war stuff it's a lot of melancholy people going through the motions of life.)

Dawgstar posted:

I always forget about the Vito's kid thing (beyond the "You look like a Puerto Rican hooer" line). Ugh.

Same. That episode is some definite, unambiguous wheel-spinning. "Alright, we've got the final 4 episode stretch planned out, but we gotta do 5 more for the network. We got the Johnny Sack death episode, who are some other characters we haven't seen in a while we should wrap up? Hesh? People like Hesh, right? Should we put a tag on the whole Vito thing?"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Jackie Jr.'s "sitdown" with Matush & Co. is riotously funny; it is what literally every dipshit college kid who only takes The Godfather out of their DVD player to put in The Godfather Part II imagines themselves to be.

God, Jackie is such a moron.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

BiggerBoat posted:

Something else that stands out on the backdrop at Holstens.

We know that Chase customized that back wall. The tiger I get, the building I get but I never got the 2 football players.

Number 38 and 22. Like caliber pistols

Alright, the thread's broken me, I've fully flipped on my reading of the final scene. It would be better if it were ambiguous, but Chase's intent is pretty clear.

Grammarchist posted:

I don't know. I think he'd make an okay werewolf.

Don't you mean, like...Ray Liotta's brother, orrr....?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Martian Manfucker posted:

Is this show worth watching if you've never seen it and the only thing you know about it, really, is that the final scene ends in a weird way with a cut to black?

I feel like I missed the boat on The Sopranos, but will it hold up for a new viewer this long after the original airing or is it a product of it's time?

As somebody who only started watching after the series ended, knowing the finale: It's absolutely worth watching. You'll see a lot of things that have been echoed in modern prestige dramas that you can point to and say "Oh, Sopranos did it first...and better."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Jack2142 posted:

I think this is an important question based off this episode

What is AJ's SA account.

AJ racked up a $500 credit card bill after being tricked into using the ATTENTION and HOT tags repeatedly.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Basebf555 posted:

This episode may not be everyone's favorite but Jerusalem was right to point out that it's actually a very important one for a bunch of ongoing storylines. If someone skipped it they'd probably be very confused when the next episode picks up and Ralph/Janice is over, she's not on to Bobby(and his wife is now dead somehow), plus Ralphie and Johnny Sack are suddenly at each other's throats to the point that somebody might get killed over it.

I don't hate it as much as some do, but I definitely think of it primarily as "The ham-handed Italian-American identity episode," not "The one where a ton of S4 storylines really kick off." I had that "Wait, that happened in THIS episode?" reaction more than a few times going through Jerusalem's recap.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Rosalie didnt know because as a plot point it literally didnt even exist until this episode.

The writers for some reason just decided to turn Ralph into a sexual weirdo out of nowhere for the sake of a joke scene in this episode?

I think there were hints throughout season 3 towards Ralph being into something outside typical tough guy mobster heteronormative rutting. (Jackie Jr.'s base and homophobic suspicion that Ralph was closeted comes to mind.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Vichan posted:

So out of nowhere, too. Christopher just featured prominently in the episode before that. They pulled the same poo poo with Ralphie.

The episode before "Kennedy and Heidi" ends with Chris killing JT Dolan in cold blood to cap off his bender. Much like Vito killing the guy in his driveway as he fled New Hampshire, I feel like it's a shortcut to remind the viewer "Oh yeah! These guys are trash, I shouldn't be too broken up when they get theirs."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

joebuddah posted:

Does anyone else remember seeing a spaghetti sauce from the Sopranos in stores? I think it was from Arties restaurant and but it's hard to remember that long ago.

Wow, I found all of one photo of it online, from an auction site:

As well as a CNN Money article from 2002:

quote:

The first batch of products -- marinara sauce, creamy Caesar salad dressing and dry ziti pasta -- will be available only from HBO's Web site as a gift set next month, but they will later become available in specialty stores and grocery chains, according to the New York Times.

The newspaper also said the food will be joined by other products, bearing the logos of both "The Sopranos" and HBO, next year. There will also be a line of Artie Bucco's frozen pizzas.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
When I came in to open one morning, there you were with your head half in the toilet.

Your hair was in the toilet water.

Disgusting.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Basebf555 posted:

Not just "Disgusting", but how Sil just sits back and turns his chin up and says "I've said my piece Chrissy", as if he'd said something profound lol

Tony's sad little "It doesn't change anything...but I can verify, he was sick for a little while" tag is just icing on the cake.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dawgstar posted:

Did they film mostly in Jersey/New York?

Yep, soundstage stuff at Silvercup in NYC and an insane amount of location shooting.

https://www.sopranos-locations.com/locations/

crispix posted:

I wonder why they did this? The first two seasons had so much light and colour. I really noticed a sharp change when season 3 started.

Was that when they switched from shooting for 4:3 to 16:9? I found an article from 2001 that makes it sound like HBO had all their shows filming in widescreen for years by that point, but they were still framing for standard def.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 27, 2019

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I’ve always taken it as a visual gag. I mean, there’s been a live grenade in the wall right next to the table at which they’ve held all their Sunday dinners? That’s insane.

I agree, and think there's another layer to the joke: the infidelities were too much for Carmela, but this has always been okay

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Babish is on the Sopranos kick this week. I made baked ziti (well, penne) last night and it sure as hell didn't look as good as Carm's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_BGPTK3GQk

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dawgstar posted:

It's just he springs fully formed from the brow of David Chase without much warning. I think we only comment on it because the rest of the show is comparatively so tightly constructed.

I think it's doubly noticeable coming right after Seasons 3 and 4. Like Jerusalem pointed out at the end of his Whitecaps write-up, those two felt particularly cohesive due to storylines starting in the earlier season and not wrapping up until much later, with lots of smaller arcs cropping up here and there and getting resolved in the span of a few episodes. Just when it felt like The Sopranos had grown beyond the issues of season-to-season serialization that plague every show, it dives right back in by rewriting history to bring in new featured players to draw out a new plot.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Bedshaped posted:

Then Johnny Sack himself goes away and we also see how badly someone doing time is treated.

To be fair, Johnny does take a deal where violates omerta and confesses to being involved with organized crime. That's why everybody turns on him with such disdain (or at least, has an excuse to.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In the spirit of the thread I think they should have a sit down with a mod.

Sorry, the best we could get was Mod, Jr.

"Do you know who my father was?"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Oh wow, this is a thing? Some of the edits must be hilariously bad.

Oh yeah. A&E paid something in the neighborhood of $2.5 mil an episode circa 2005 for the basic cable rights. Apparently, though, the producers had planned for it and did alternate, cleaned-up versions of some scenes during the original filming (Notably stuff at the Bing, where the dancers now wore swimsuits.) It gave A&E a brief ratings spike, but I don't recall them airing it that long.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pretty heavy on the Ginny Sack questions.

Eyyyy, make sure John don't hear you using that kind of language

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"What did you say?"
"I said there's a scene...all the B-movie, the comic book fanboys will go crazy; the climax, it's the best scene..."
"...you said femboys?"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ruddiger posted:

Is there a real word equivalent? John Landis made a vampire movie with mafiosos called Innocent Blood with Robert Loggia (Feech!), that’s the only one I can think of.

Maybe Sicilian Vampire, a vanity movie written, directed and starring a sleazebag Canadian "businessman" who fancies himself a gangster? He paid real actors (Including Robert Loggia!) to star alongside him.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
RIP JT Dolan, sacrificed at the altar of "Remind the viewers that this character isn't a saint, and they shouldn't be too broken up if something awful were to happen to them in the near future"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Basebf555 posted:

The whole series is like that, Chase is constantly bringing in new elements and characters that seem like they should've been known before but all the sudden they show up and now they're super important to this particular episode/season.

You can be pessimistic and call it a sleight of hand writer's trick, or you can look at it as a way to make the world of the Sopranos feel more real and expansive because we're clearly only getting a small window into what goes on through the eyes of Tony and his relatively small Family(or glorified crew, if you're from New York).

I think it's just Chase's background as a network TV writer coming into play. Even though he was pushing the format forward in a lot of ways, he still spent the formative years of his career writing for the kind of dramas where there was a new case every week, with a special guest star antagonist and occasionally a newly invented wrinkle to the hero's backstory to give it emotional weight. Old habits die hard and all of that.