Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Heidi needed more events honestly, or at least for her existing events to have more meat to them. To me she feels like she exists more to serve a utilitarian role within the main plot than she does as a character in her own right, which is unfortunate because a lot of other characters who also have a strong presence in the main plot have way more going on.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Catori's hair feather seems a bit ehhhhh re: how Native Americans actually wear that stuff, so it's a weird pick, but.

Nah, the kid thing is wild. They go out of their way to show the kid being okay with it, but her situation is nuts and it's a miracle it works out. Also she's peak "lady who gets sucked into every MLM"

My problem with Catori is that she sucks and by all rights her abandoning her family to run huckster get rich quick bullshit off the back of burning every connection she has in town for a quick buck should have failed miserably and blown up in her face. But instead she gets everything she wanted and more because she's lucky enough to bump into the hyper builder controlled by an outside being who with meta-knowledge that her quests are probably going to lead somewhere and so does an asinine amount of free labor for her despite constantly getting burned for it in the short term.

Also loving hell that accent, yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They went way too ham on the bad nonsense accents in this game.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Catori is bad but it's so funny that her first time in the main quest is her opening the sand race thing just for nobody but loving Burgress to show up

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Catori is bad but it's so funny that her first time in the main quest is her opening the sand race thing just for nobody but loving Burgress to show up

Joke's on you. You AND Burgess showed up.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The least believable part of Catori is how happy her son is about all of it. He gets maybe a little sad in one scene where she walks off to deal with someone else and that's it. She'd have been better off without the entire previous family.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Jack Trades posted:

They went way too ham on the bad nonsense accents in this game.

They just sound like typical yanks and brits to me

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Midnight Voyager posted:

The least believable part of Catori is how happy her son is about all of it. He gets maybe a little sad in one scene where she walks off to deal with someone else and that's it. She'd have been better off without the entire previous family.

The devs are Chinese, so just consider it penance for all the time Western games had someone do a terrible Asian accent.

Midnight Voyager posted:

It often takes a while for a kid to figure their parents weren't great. I imagine he'll have a lot to talk about with a therapist in his twenties and thirties.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the kid hadn't been living with catori so he was unaware of what a trash person she is.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I can fix her.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jack Trades posted:

I can fix her.

The builder can fix anything.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I can fix her.

Yes, fix.

Quest: Fix Catori
Steel Pipe: 0/1
Large Storage Box: 0/1

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sydin posted:

My problem with Catori is that she sucks and by all rights her abandoning her family to run huckster get rich quick bullshit off the back of burning every connection she has in town for a quick buck should have failed miserably and blown up in her face.

Whatever, you just don't know how bad that family is, if you did you'd understand completely why she had to get away. They cuss, lie, stay up past bedtime, like anyone would obviously need to escape that chaos.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
did you ever consider that alo has bad vibes? he really does, you know.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

I am so sick of receiving potted plants

I'd love a potted plant, I haven't received a single one. A bunch of basic stools is what I get. And skin cream periodically from Pablo.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Rian must really love you.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

GotLag posted:

They just sound like typical yanks and brits to me

can't speak to the American accents but Qi and Amirah sound like non-Brits trying very hard to be British and mostly pulling it off, but sounding kinda uncomfortable as a result. Arvio sounds like a non-Brit having to be reminded he's meant to be doing a British accent several times per sentence. (I'm picturing the director waving a little :britain: flag at the VA in desperation). it really took me out of any event involving him. (that and everything else about him).

limp_cheese posted:

I'm trying to date Grace too but the Grace romance seems to be a very late game thing. She ends up leaving for a bit because of something related to her archeology degree.

For reference Catori Land was just finished in my game so I HAVE to be close to the end.

can confirm, I only got the Grace romance about 3 quests from the end. if you've sent the right responses in your letters you'll have a chance to confess when she comes back. fortunately it starts at a much higher relationship level so you can propose immediately if you want.

Jane really gets shafted by the weird pacing. I rushed her approval as fast as I could once she showed up to see what would happen but unlike Grace she starts at the lowest romantic relationship level if you accept her confession, so I'm pretty sure you'd have to play well into the post-game if you wanted to marry her.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I mostly found catori weirdly demanding considering all the free poo poo she gets so i barely interacted with her outside of her 'give me stuff' quests

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gato posted:

can't speak to the American accents but Qi and Amirah sound like non-Brits trying very hard to be British and mostly pulling it off, but sounding kinda uncomfortable as a result. Arvio sounds like a non-Brit having to be reminded he's meant to be doing a British accent several times per sentence. (I'm picturing the director waving a little :britain: flag at the VA in desperation). it really took me out of any event involving him. (that and everything else about him).

Haha Amirah and Arvio are meant to have a made up accent the VAs came up with. Which is a lot harder of a task than I think either knew. If the accent was consistent people could accept it as a foreign accent they aren't familiar with, plenty of languages in the world any given person will have never had a chance to hear. But it's inconsistent that either within or across sessions they kept forgetting or evolving or changing it, then you hear those lines in whatever gameplay order, and they just sound... Strange. Not like an accent of a culture but just two goobers who have chosen to speak inconsistently oddly.

If there are space aliens in the game I wonder if Arvio might be one of them. Would explain in universe his accent inconsistency and complete lack of business sense. Amirah is actually sensible and talented at her craft and is mostly held back trying to keep her secret martian brother from ruin.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Haha Amirah and Arvio are meant to have a made up accent the VAs came up with. Which is a lot harder of a task than I think either knew. If the accent was consistent people could accept it as a foreign accent they aren't familiar with, plenty of languages in the world any given person will have never had a chance to hear. But it's inconsistent that either within or across sessions they kept forgetting or evolving or changing it, then you hear those lines in whatever gameplay order, and they just sound... Strange. Not like an accent of a culture but just two goobers who have chosen to speak inconsistently oddly.

in that case, good on the VAs for giving it a shot I guess. It just stood out because the voice acting for the core Sandrock cast is mostly very good, with a few fantastic standouts like Miguel. Some of the visiting characters were pretty flat, but that's hardly unique to this game

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

did you ever consider that alo has bad vibes? he really does, you know.

Alo has NO vibes! utterly vibeless, terminal lack of vibes

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kanos posted:

It's weird as hell because she looks and behaves like a young teenager, but she's best friends and gets into hijinx with Mi-an, who is generally portrayed as a young adult.

Though honestly, even if Elsie looked and was written less weirdly, marrying her would mean having to have Cooper as a father in law. :yikes:

Does her English voice sound really young or something? I always just got the impression that she's "a 19-20 y/o who lives at home with her parents (and is obviously getting increasingly frustrated with the situation)." It feels less like "teenager rebelliousness" and more like a sheltered young adult who wants to experience more things and is envious/awkward about her more independent friends/peers.

Edit: I also feel like the builder's age is really ambiguous and could basically be anywhere between like 20 and 35

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 19, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Considering how your mom writes you and that you have a childhood friend implied to have been in the same classes as you and thus around your age who's just about finishing up her postgrad degree, I figure the builder is early-to-mid 20's and the Sandrock gig is their first major break post-college/builder school.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
devs are chinese. the characters could be 30+ living with parents and it'll be normal.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ytlaya posted:

Does her English voice sound really young or something? I always just got the impression that she's "a 19-20 y/o who lives at home with her parents (and is obviously getting increasingly frustrated with the situation)." It feels less like "teenager rebelliousness" and more like a sheltered young adult who wants to experience more things and is envious/awkward about her more independent friends/peers.

Edit: I also feel like the builder's age is really ambiguous and could basically be anywhere between like 20 and 35

Her early behavior is, like, little kid level pranks. One of her early quests is "my friend won't take a day off/play with me so i'm going to hide her builder license" like a kid hiding dad's car keys so he won't go to work and will stay home and play.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kanos posted:

Her early behavior is, like, little kid level pranks. One of her early quests is "my friend won't take a day off/play with me so i'm going to hide her builder license" like a kid hiding dad's car keys so he won't go to work and will stay home and play.

I view that as her just being very immature/impulsive due to the "living at home her entire life" thing (plus just being really bored since she has basically zero social life outside of Mi-an). That specific quest is also the only thing I can think of on that level, and she immediately realizes it was extremely stupid.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

I view that as her just being very immature/impulsive due to the "living at home her entire life" thing (plus just being really bored since she has basically zero social life outside of Mi-an). That specific quest is also the only thing I can think of on that level, and she immediately realizes it was extremely stupid.

I had a life like hers and... well, she still struck me as EXTREMELY young in a way I couldn't reconcile dating with.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Khanstant posted:

If there are space aliens in the game I wonder if Arvio might be one of them. Would explain in universe his accent inconsistency and complete lack of business sense. Amirah is actually sensible and talented at her craft and is mostly held back trying to keep her secret martian brother from ruin.

They're clearly moon-men.

Tired Moritz posted:

devs are chinese. the characters could be 30+ living with parents and it'll be normal.

Hugo still lives with his mum.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

And Heidi lives with her dad and Grandma.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
and jasmine, who for some reason never moves back in with her mom

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Does anyone happen to know the bare minimum donation I need to make towards rebuilding the bridge in order to get the relationship bonus? I like money, but also hate the relationship grind, so my brain tells me to min-max. Alas, googling doesn't yield anything concrete.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib

Badly Jester posted:

Does anyone happen to know the bare minimum donation I need to make towards rebuilding the bridge in order to get the relationship bonus? I like money, but also hate the relationship grind, so my brain tells me to min-max. Alas, googling doesn't yield anything concrete.

Donating 7500 gols should get you to the max donation for the bridge.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ytlaya posted:

Ok. Give her an animal house.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

waggles posted:

Donating 7500 gols should get you to the max donation for the bridge.

That was quick, thanks! I wasn't sure if I needed to max it out for the reward, but now that I think about it, I believe that's how it worked for the food drive as well :doh:

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib

Badly Jester posted:

That was quick, thanks! I wasn't sure if I needed to max it out for the reward, but now that I think about it, I believe that's how it worked for the food drive as well :doh:

Yeah, I just completely the quest a couple days ago so that's how I remembered. As a sidenote, when the bridge is completed there should be a plaque listing the top donators.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Finally got a Greenhouse. It looked small enough, but it insta drained like 10 water towers worth of water. :drat:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Issaries posted:

Finally got a Greenhouse. It looked small enough, but it insta drained like 10 water towers worth of water. :drat:

Upgrade your water tower.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I never even thought to do this until like 120+ hours in I realized, oh poo poo I can upgrade this thing too. I didn't really need it though since I'm not messing with greenhouses or really growing anything other than harvesting my lone coffee tea tree once in a while.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Mordiceius posted:

There's an upgrade? :aaa:

Currently waiting for the main story to finally end.
This game just keeps going and going.

I'm at

Completing the Amusement park in the Valley of Whispers.

Also:
Why can't I just pump infinite water from reservoir?
I fixed the water problem and we are currently literally shooting excess water into a canyon.
There's rainbow and everything.

Also the Greenhouse building was small enough, but there's still like 200 squares of space and free biocrust, so I can't just waste it.
Got to plant everything. :ohdear:
I should have just removed most of the biocrust and made most of it floor.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 30, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The last third of the game is... rough imo. Just recently wrapped things up. Spend the last third of the day immediately going to bed if I didn't have any story to do. I'll probably write up some long form thoughts soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Does farming ever get less tedious than having to do everything square by square with the little animation each time?