Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Since Sandrock is out but still in EA I decided to go back to Portia and finish it for good. I started over and worked myself I think halfway through the story so far? I'm currently building the bridge to the desert area.

However i have one question, is there a way to get rid of the micro stutter/pause every time you swing the pickaxe? It's like it's doing a check to update the gameworld every time you swing the pickaxe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Sorry I should have clarified but im playing Portia and basically everytime the pickaxe hits something theres a 0.5 second pause. I want to get rid of that if its possible. Since it does not happen with the Axe I take it the game does some sanity/recalcuiation check for the breakable terrain but doesnt take into account if you actually hit terrain.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
PC. The game runs at a stable framerate, no hiccups/stutters otherwise. I have it on a SSD.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Hit another bug, I did the mission for Gale to prove I'm "worthy" of marrying Ginger. I'm Rank A, #1 rated and the mission shows 1/1 for both conditions, Gale has a ... above his head but I can't talk to him. Is this a bug or do i seriously need to wait for Year 2 or something?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's not a performance issue. I switched the game to 144 fps limited instead of 60 and it cut the stutter down a little bit at least. Weird physics calculation stuff I bet.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Talking is very much a waste of time and the idea of wasting 5 skill points to get 2 points instead of 1 is borderline offensive in Portia. Is the social tree the same bad in Sandrock so far?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Do we have any estimate how long Sandrock will be in EA? I definitely dont want to make the mistake i did with portia of burning out during EA and now coming back after 4 years to finish it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Finally got the drill in Portia.
Can confirm the pickaxe thing is some sort of bug cause the drill destroys terrain just fine without any stutter/hitching, it only happens with the pickaxe.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Shame I was looking forward to 1.0 but the timeframe seemed rough.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've been participating in the final beta tests and the game is absolutely huge and they keep on wanting to add more content for characters and stuff.

I'd estimate a playthrough of the story will take 100-150 hours depending on your pace. My savegame was 128 hours when I saw credits roll. There's still some nasty bugs left right now but I hope the game will have a great launch cause it deserves the success.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I kind of understand that decision. The PC version received its last content patch (in beta) just last week and console versions usually have to be finished weeks before release. The Console versions should have the september build that has the complete main story but is missing some extra content.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I hope you'll all have a good time in the game, as someone who helped out as a volunteer beta tester in the final stages this game was a huge step up for the devs from portia.

PSA: The console versions lag behind in content at launch, they're on the september patch which has the full story complete. The PC version has some new features + a little postgame content even, that stuff will arrive on consoles in december.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Zesty posted:

Oh? I haven't been reading the news stuff too closely. What's so not "full release" about it?

Some characters are still a bit lacking in the quest department, but I know the devs amend to fix it and have post launch plans already.

The console versions as mentioned above are not on feature parity with the PC release today.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Tired Moritz posted:

Hopefully the map is smaller than in Portia.

It's larger but you have plenty more fast travel options and can get a horse.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Mp is its own thing. The story is Singleplayer only, they couldn't find a way to implement it in multiplayer and regret having to do it this way.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah they want to sell them individually later, also not all dlc is done (character outfits)

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

TurnipFritter posted:

Are wallpapers actually locked behind DLC or is this just for those specific ones.

Just those, there's like 20 available by default.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

queeb posted:

Any good skills to go for first?

Anything that doubles your knowledge gain cause it helps you level up skills quicker. Then go for anything that gives you double chances for rocks/wood. For social absolutely rush the skill that gives you an extra commission per day. For weapons pick a melee weapon you gel with (spear is really good with the extra combo and so are knives) and then go for guns imo.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 2, 2023

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
M for map then R is also quick exit

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Mount tip:

- Horses have the highest top speed cap, stamina doesnt really matter much since you can just have em munch on something.
- The quality does not matter, you can cap out the stats with a basic grey horse which will only cost around 4k instead of 25k for a blue one. Don't get ripped off.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Khanstant posted:

Holy moly, buried in a mountain of mail was a new item, idk how late game or not it is, but it's almost making me want to start over now because my goblin tower is a lovely chaos mess that had absolutely no room for the fact I can apparently turn entire rooms into greenhouses or factories. these were not in the game at all last I played and seem like huge deals there'd be a questline about, maybe I auto completed by nature of being so far into game already. I just literally don't know if I have room and technically my house is illegal since I don't have the perks for 4 story house but when I built my house there weren't limits yet lol.

Also cool to see some of the untextured areas finally finished out, wasn't sure what that canyon was gonna look like but it's pretty dope now. Load times seem up again so hoping they do another optimization pass like they did early on. That might've been their one big trick there just to make room for all the new detail and such though.

Just finished a mega patch day bevy of quests, tomorrow is stacked w events, holiday soon, and poor Amirah following me all day on a play date I scheduled and forgot about lol. She did not enjoy the day of watching me work, even though some of it was for her commissions.

Yeah, these special rooms unlock after act 2 is finished.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Khanstant posted:

haha crazy, I did all the machining manually up until then (well fairly recently added the robo helper). Unless act 2 is considered the end of the previous content update.

Act 1 ends when Trudy returns
Act 2 ends when you fight some nasties in the spaceship ruins and send the big bad to space

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

GotLag posted:

Number one tip is to build lots of chests, find an organisational scheme that makes sense to you, and make friends with the Sort All button. Come back from a mining/gathering expedition, open the first chest you see, click Sort All, and enjoy the feeling of everything in your inventory being whisked away to whatever chest already contains some of it.

Protip for this: You can hide chests and any furniture under your roof. Remove your roof. move the chests up there and then put up the roof again over them. As long as you can access one chest at the bottom you can scroll through all of them with 1 and 3 or the buttons on top.

Rynoto posted:

Highly enjoying the full release quality so far. Started a new game so haven't gotten to all the new stuff yet but it feels significantly more polished. They've come so far since Portia's EA and looking forwards to what they continue to add, here.

My biggest thing to stress for people picking this up would be Food. The restaurant offers two cheap meals every day and for about the same cost as a single beginner commission you can full heal your energy. Lets you rapidly advance.

Food is way too limited still if you want to rapidly advance. Buy heatstroke medicine from the vending machine in the ruins, average price is 220-ish for 100 stamina. Later in the game when you have more stamina the 100% refills for 1000 are a better deal.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

GotLag posted:

I am on track to knock him off the number one spot by the end of the first month

It's absolutely possible but you will need to rush the 2 commissions per day perk asap. I also named my Character Yan with the same birthday.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

GotLag posted:

Not actually true!

You get an additional commission per day on reaching workshop level 2, and whole bunch of points for donating to the museum, and some of the story commissions have supporting request board commissions that don't count towards your daily limit

It helps you get out of the 1 commission per day initial slump and then it keeps on stacking so you max out at 2/3/4 commissions per day instead of 1/2/3. Keeping up with doing them daily is still important if you want to beat Yan in the first month.

Edit: Also apparently some streamers have challenges from the developer to get free keys to hand out. One of them is not upgrading your workshop level at all which seemed a bit crazy at first, but then I remembered you can put machines on your roof too.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 3, 2023

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
After you get up a basic processor and grinder you should imo go for the refiner asap. Your upgraded tools and machines help out the game progression a lot and the machines keep their upgrade level when you upgrade them to the next tier.

Also befriending Yan unironically has advantages of better payouts.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Panfilo posted:

Is Fang always mumbly and mute or does he open up if you romance him?

I find the Midwestern accents grating. Also I have no idea what Dan-Bi sees in her husband, that guy is the laziest carpenter ever. Does she eventually have her baby later on?

There's a quest to get him to open up more and being able to hand out gifts. Fang also has probably the most quests of any character in the game, so much that people are calling favoritism.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Panfilo posted:

The only quest I remember with him was the one where you prank him by pretending his bird got kidnapped which really felt hosed up honestly, pull that kind of trolling on Yan or Pen not some mute weirdo doctor that just does his own thing and doesn't bother anybody.

Afaik you can tell him about it in advance instead of playing along, but thats the quest to being able to talk to him / give gifts.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Quartz simply drops from gravel stones about 50% of the time or so. Just as bloodstone is from hard rocks

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

LLSix posted:

For the skill points, the skill for "salvaging scrap" is different from the skill for "logging." Does anyone know which one chopping wood scrap up to get it counts as?

Anything where you gain scrap should be salvaging, logging is chopping actual trees like deadwood.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Omnicarus posted:

I picked up this game after it was recommended to me as a good fix for my life simulator addiction. Never played a My Times... Series game, what are some good things to know as a beginner without spoiling anything?

Try to do your commission every day if you can, its your main way to gain social rep and money. You gain more/better machines by researching them at the lab in town. Upgrading your tools is priority 1, pickhammers more important than the axe.

Edit: Forgot to mention this but the Refiner is probably the most important machine early on after you get a grinder and processor. It lets you upgrade the rarities of your tools/machines and improves them massively. You also can upgrade anything you turn in for commissions and gain more money.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 4, 2023

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Radiation Cow posted:

I'm at a point where I'm starting to need steel, but no way to get the raw materials for it. The salvage ruins only provide copper and tin (up to level 11 and don't see a way further down), and I'm currently relying on iron scrap recycling. Am I missing a way of going further down into the ruins, or is it locked behind the story? (Just gave Qi's buddy an inspection machine thinger).

Nah, you can't get iron ore steel until you can cross the shonash canyon bridge. Iron scrap is actually the best way to get steel imo because it saves the iron ore for the other materials. If you need more scrap theres like 3 hypersleep chambers spawning every day and the big iron bus that all will drop iron scrap.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Envgard posted:

Picked this up for PS5 and im loving it. But question for PC people. Do the npcs get stuck on terrain constantly on PC? Im almost to the end of the first month and it happens nonstop. Not sure if its because of the holiday decorations or what but they just get stuck then eventually warp to their destination. Also Cooper was just a floating head for a while but reloading fixed that.

Consoles have the september build which had notorious pathfinding issues. It's much better on PC right now, the update is scheduled for mid december or so.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

LLSix posted:

Are there any good generic gifts like the sashimi in SV or the flowers in Portia?

The way how much people like gifts decreases if you give them the same gift (is it twice in a row or twice in the same week or ...) makes it really hard to tell what gifts are good and which aren't. Also, I'm starting to hate the critters card game even though its the best source of friendship points I've found so far.

Sparring is good too, but it takes somewhere between 30 minutes and an hour per sparring match. Also some people seem to give less points if you fight them on successive days (Yan in particular is giving one less point for beating him in a spar every day. I guess I'll try giving him a few days to cool off and see if he improves).

Gold and Diamonds work on pretty much everyone outside of some guy that joins act 3. Other than that its pretty specific, people usually like stuff they work with if its their job. Honestly, just talk to them daily and gift something generic like a bloodstone / quartz, nobody dislikes shiny stones. Just alternate because giving the same gift more than once in a row runs risk of being downgraded a tier. Also holidays/birthdays give double and triple points. Your main source of social points will be commissions and quests.

Also Macchiato the cat loves guns and bombs, dont mess with that one.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 5, 2023

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Mi-an sadly has very little personal content outside of 2 sorta romantic quests. The latest patch notes said that quests for Heidi, Elsie, catori and a few others had been added.

Before that Nia had the most hands down on the ladies side while Fang and Logan have the most for the men.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Mort has like 3 different VAs I swear.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Bussamove posted:

Caveat I have not actually done any of Grace’s stuff.

It's technically a story spoiler.

Edit: a few of the VAs hang out on the discord and are pretty charming people to talk to.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Khanstant posted:

Nia was weird, seems like she pretty much hung out in that apartment all day once they added her, like she never meshed with the rest of cast at all or seemed to do anything lol.

She pretty much just checks in once and you can follow her on day 2 to see events in town with her. She comes back later permanently.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I don't think he's a prick, he's just a giant turbonerd who has zero social awareness. He's pretty invested in anything that interests him, the rest does not matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The stuff about Yan makes sense later in the game at least.