Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Jumped into the full game mostly blind, since I only did early access for a little bit, and it's nice to see my habit from Portia of Never Stop Producing is still effective. I think my only complaint is that some perk effects feel kind of ineffective since so many are just things like "10% chance for X". I am still very much enjoying it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
It took me way too long to figure out there's a second tab so yeah, important considering the producing machines are on that tab

I hope they expand what types of things people want commissions for, it's almost always the same. Seriously I've given Amira like 40 bloodstone cores, at least Rocky changes up between rivets and bars.

Also recommend building your commission board early so you can snag the prime commissions before mi an does, once you get the recipe

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 6, 2023

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
That's why your personal board is nice, you can just slap it outside your door

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I do think it would not be necessarily a bad thing if they were to cut material requirements by like 25% across the board, Even just cutting ore requirements for bars would go a long way

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
the most strict timing thing in the game is in the morning when you race mi-an to the commission board for the sweet gigs

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Need my sunglasses llama back imo

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
The only material I have ever struggled with is clay, I set aside points to just go try to mine it, but it's much less a problem after I started passing up poo poo like cores for commissions

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
You can add a repeating weekly custom reminder to your calendar on Wednesday and Fridays so that you don't forget.

Another pro tip is that when you have a mount, collecting dew from your dew collectors is instant when mounted

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I don't, that would mean Rian was a free agent and I appreciate Dan-bi most for quarantining him for the most part.

Love to bust into rians bedroom and wake him up every time he wants 3 hardwood boards

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

quote:

. I only really need her help with the dew catchers and the animals anyway (seriously, it saves SO much animation time)

If you're on a mount there's no animation harvesting dew, I can collect from my 10 in like 3 seconds. Only reason I have that many tho is uhh rain

Sloober fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 11, 2023

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
It's actually pretty nice when you run to your commission board and it turns out two or three of people who want stuff are standing right there. Really saves you time

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

LLSix posted:

Thanks. I don’t have a forging station, so I will give that a try. Only 48 data disks for next day delivery 🚚

I don’t see a recipe for them in the commerce guild and I already bought most of the recipes there. Maybe I am missing a second tab or something though?

New recipes get added at certain points, so you have to keep checking back for them

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
The big problem I have with non house buildings is space is such a premium to occupy with like a barn or a coop or whatever, homestead expansions only add a few columns at a time

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
no, you have to remake them. they don't take all that many resources though in the scheme of things

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
The only downside of the factory IMO is that it ships the items to you that it makes instead of just dumping them into a grab box that it can pull from, like it did in Portia. I do like reclaiming all my land space though for the price of one room

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
in sandstorms a lot of 'hard' mobs show up that drop some decent poo poo and ruins tokens, worth it to run around and kill them. there's another version of that buzzard in the desert to the west by the huge bone pile

Radiation Cow posted:

What's nice about the Hazardous Ruins is that fighting in there doesn't consume stamina. You pay it up front, as well as the time you'll take. So once you get in, you can focus on fighting without worrying about running out of stamina or time.

one of the best changes from portia is the stam being baked into the cost of going in them, altho in portia as soon as you have a drying rack you have functionally endless stam with dried apples

Dirk the Average posted:

There's variance with gifting, as far as I can tell. Not sure exactly what causes it, but the same piece of rice can give one of the cats +0, +1, +2, or +3 depending on the day and the alignment of the spheres.

Portia had fractionals that didn't display, so there's probably some unseen fractional point number, on top of the displayed point gain being added in with any other point gains you may have just gotten, for instance, you chat for +1 and that pops up, then you gift which gives you +2 but the screen will read +3 since it just adds that in, or maybe you have the social that gave you +2 instead of +1 for a chat

nrook posted:

on this note I still can’t figure out how the various “put stuff in your inventory into a chest if there’s already some of the same thing there” buttons work. sometimes they do what I expect, sometimes they don’t. inscrutable

the only time i've seen the autosort not shove everything in chests is if i had zeroed out a thing from my chest stock, like the perfect 0 ore or whatever

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Yeah, you should absolutely plant at least a couple of every crop periodically bc the cooking commissions are sometimes quite a bit more valuable than the regulars.

At some point in the game you unlock a bounty board in the civil corp office that gets you 1k gols or so for killing certain monsters too, and are separate from regular commissions

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I think I need to build multiple of a number of machines. Currently the only one I have more than one of is the Furnace (which just has 2). I'll try adding more dew things.

How exactly do crop commissions work, given the time it takes for a plant to grow? Do they give you longer, or are you supposed to have a bunch of stuff prepared ahead of time?

always be processin'. Generally you want to get to a point where fulfilling a day's commissions takes only as long as running to the worktable to make something on demand, or at least very little extra time - that way its less time loving around with the machines and more time harvesting basic input resources like ores, or doing other things like wish fulfillment, etc. others have mentioned that scrap recycling is the one thing you want to maximize doing, since you get bars and sticks from iron and copper scrap, which helps you save those ores for making alloy products like bronze etc. In my late game i've settled on 5 furnaces and 5 recyclers, the other machines aren't as in demand and you probably only need 2 at most provided you keep them churning out products you have the least of (say, plates or whatever, i like to keep a minimum stock of like 15-20, but that's excessive)

Crop commissions generally give you 10 days for doing them, but i wouldn't take those unless i had them on hand, i have a little farm plot going nonstop and have a huge bank of every growable seed i have access to right now, the reason you dont want to sit on those is that if you have one in your quest log it takes up a commission slot (you can still accept more commissions, but you have to complete previous ones to get up to your commission limit). Ultimately, the game isn't a rush, so don't feel like, totally obligated to industrialize your workshop if you think its too much hassle or busy work.

i'm sort of torn on dew collectors because they don't really net you that much. sending a pet on a water collection alone gets you at least 2 water units and like 15 dew which is more than you get out of a half dozen basic dew collectors. it adds up, over time, its just underwhelming

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Deki posted:

Dew collectors are cheap as hell to make, don't need to be checked every day, and are really quick to loot once you have a mount.

dew evaporates during the daylight hours (12 to 17) and anything collected instantly evaporates when there's a sandstorm, so that's definitely an at your own risk thing regarding collecting every day

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Good bc same

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

How much effort/planning do you need to put into befriending people?

I've been kinda lazy so far. I choose commissions for the people I like, and I've started sparring with them sometimes since that gives 5 and is fast. I've also been doing wishes since they started popping up. I've only gifted a couple small things, since I don't feel comfortable giving away a bunch of stuff yet. I've just recently had a couple people reach Buddy level.

You don't have to even try that hard unless you're trying to butter a specific person up, just due to events, commissions, one off conversations and friend groups you can get to max relationship benefit without any real effort. By end of year one you should have them all pretty high

I'm getting to the point I'm ready for it to end though - no trouble fulfilling anything etc. think I'm pretty close. Definitely enjoyed it

Sloober fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 20, 2023

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

Fish gets easy to get once you have access to the tier 2 or tier 3 trap - the basic one is kind of poo poo. Make sure to upgrade it to purple, and now you have a decent radius. Throw out 3-4 pieces of bait relatively far apart - each piece of bait thrown will spawn in more fish. Then once the fish cluster up a bit, toss the trap to catch 'em.

I do wish they had given some way to order logging/gathering (herbs and such)/fishing products, because that would have been nice.

It's actually pretty funny how little wood you need in this vs Portia, The only time I felt remotely strained on it was immediately starting out when I needed some chests, definitely would be nice to get gathering / animal products or something though. Definitely not a big fan of how fishing works in this tbh.

Also the fact that seasonings are such limited quantity

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Completed it today, clocked in at about 200 days or something like that, and 95 hours. Overall a good improvement over Portia, although it feels like, overall, there are less improvement projects. The water gimmick was only really bothersome early on, later it's a nothin. I think the weakest part is probably the last say third.

I like the scrap system being able to reduce your grind times in the mines, and the combat was better, and so were the ruins
I hope they keep making these and improving it just as much each time

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
You can get the mort photos hitting scrap outside the scrap yard

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

So, I had an NPC teleport to a different location on me for the second time. Like, not for a cutscene or event or anything. I mean I was trying to go to them to interact then they literally teleported to a different part of the map. Is that just something that will be happening that I should get used to?

Also, are Cactus Trees okay for me to chop down? Is Burgess going to show up one morning to break my legs if I do?

Teleporting is very awful in the game, especially when it's your gd mount who you are running to and happens to teleport behind you

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
yan was like a little baby when it came to real corruption

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I wish sandracing wasn't so intensely unpleasant

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

Please post your houses and workshops, I have no sense of design and rely on imitation for more efficient and aesthetically pleasing layouts in all games

<picture of a cube>

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sydin posted:

The big thing I ultimately had to tell myself about the pacing is that it's not designed around power users who are going to blow their whole stamina load + meals at the Blue Moon every day for like 80 in game days in a row collecting loads of mats, getting 4-6 of every machine up ASAP in the factory, always keeping research cooking and often rushing some projects because you're drowning in excess disks, etc. It's paced for people who have no idea what they're supposed to be doing and still only have like 1-2 of each machine by Winter Y1 and keep hitting multi-day roadblocks of not having enough materials or the correct research unlocked to finish the main quest objectives. Stuff like the bridge, tunnel, water tower, etc are "supposed" to take you several days, instead of what happened for me and I'd wager a decent number in the thread where you're already squatting on all the mats required and the job gets blitzed out an in game hour or two after it was assigned.

I honestly wouldn't mind a "hard mode" style option/mod/whatever that increased the amount and complexity of mats you needed to build things that would bottleneck the pace of the main quest somewhat even for us insane freaks, at least initially.

i like sandrock more, as a whole, than portia, but portia's projects, i dont know, felt bigger somehow? Wouldn't turn down a mode at this point that makes materials a little more harsh. I think part of the problem is how convenient scrap recycling is since it voids, mostly, having to get like iron or copper

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
make everything require that weird woodbark from the big trees around your house. the whole two of them. still no idea what uses that! i assume accessories

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
on the other hand i'm glad there's no analog to the irritation of carbon steel bars in sandrock

Mordiceius posted:

On the other hand, I do not miss the Carbon Steel Bars bottleneck.

But yeah, Sandrock is overall a better game, I feel, but placing any thought into organization or optimization will immediately catapult you beyond what the game requires.

edit: lol double post carbon steel bar hate. the comprehensive grinders/cutters being necessary just to save yourself annoyance at charcoal making was at least nice for products you could make with the comprehensives

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
its large deadwood trees across the train bridge west of town. as mentioned there's not a lot of them so if you're going to cut one down, cut them all down. you'll need it for the commission regularity the boards and sticks show up in

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
In Portia It was a nice hands-off way to gain relationship points, it's not quite as important in this one since the frequency is much lower. But now they contribute to your stats so you might as well still do it?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
When you go to sleep at night, listen carefully and you might hear burgess's heavy breathing

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
not a lot of competition in the post-apocalyptic public works simulator genre

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Yeah, I definitely don't like the fishing in this vs first one

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Kanos posted:

When's a good time to start going heavy into farming? I've read mixed opinions on it that range from "don't bother at all" to "don't do it until you have a bunch of free biocrust from quests".

i went more into farming than was really necessary and at most you should maybe have one of each 3x3 tree, you may want more jute melons or whatever b/c you need fiber from them for some tailor recipes, but often the most demanded farm item was actually just mushrooms. Don't go nuts on it with a huge farm.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
the entire peach stuff would be ok, changing things from really lovely to good seems like it would fit?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Phobeste posted:

I can't really stand minigames so I didn't do most of them and I think I didn't do that much social interaction (though I did all the sidequests that popped up). Popped a lot of heatstroke meds etc, maxed out commissions. I really like these games and play the hell out of them but playing the hell out of them can sometimes lead to just blitzing through.

Is your playtime more about taking days slowly or taking more days? I finished in winter year 2

i think my game finished in summer year 2? For reference in a "built every project the same day it was available" in portia i think i had it completed in late winter. so a bit longer game, altho as i mentioned before most of the projects felt... smaller

also most of the minigames in this are at least tolerable, except the sandsledding, which sucks since it is quite easy to get literally stuck in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Like What?