Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Panfilo posted:

There's little actual farming in the game. It's rather time consuming until you hire Ack and paying him cuts into your margins. Pretty much all the small planter box crops are things you carry buy or forage (rainbow flowers is one of the few you'll need to grow to make pigments). Growing crystal/apple/apricot trees is better, plus using a giant seed to grow some monstrous kumquat or whatever.

Recent patch nerfed fishing which upset people. Though I would argue the game is open ended enough that it really doesn't matter, I guess some players are really lazy and want some easy gimmick to rush through the content. But there's so much working in the players favor and so much to do it doesn't matter in the long run.

For me, the biggest breakthrough on farming was picking up the auto-fertilizer and tiles from the Church of Light. It costs data discs, but by mistake you’re swimming in them.

The downsides are that you have to buy a tile for each space you have a box on (so 4 for the big boxes), you have to be able to track back to the auto-fertilizer tank, and you can’t seem to pick the tiles back up after which is mind blowing.

But still - fertilizing twenty to thirty boxes through a single source is pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, I bet very poorly the first year Russo was in the MA tourney. I assumed Paulie would wipe the floor with him, didn’t watch, then assumed that of course Arlo would take him out, and watched as Russo turned out to be Level 50 and thrash the poo poo out of him.

Also, the dating options are way better if you go after women. The guys in the game are either underwritten or uninteresting.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Good news for artifact-divers: as you progress in the main plot, you'll get notifications that better scanners are available. Each one costs a few thousand Gols, but it's a) a permanent upgrade; b) works at all ruins; c) lets you see father; c) lets you see what the marker is; and d) eventually lets you track multiple objects at once

So if you're finding artifact hunting boring or frustrating, the answer is to just ignore it until you get a better scanner.

Also, I've finished the main plot and am doing the bonus plot and man the writing on it is actually more solid and dark than the other plot writing when you meet your pa again and it turns out you're actually rightfully pretty pissed and unwilling to immediately reconcile

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Mordiceius posted:

Everyone post some character/workshop pictures!

I'm currently mid-Fall. Just finished the land run. Repaired the lift, but haven't fixed the pipe yet.

I've finished with the main plot, I'm just doing side plots and debating who to woo now.

I... might be going overboard with setting up my workshop

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Baller Time posted:

Ugh, I just spruced up my house and now some homeless person is hanging around my property!

tell your dad to go pound sand

I’m not sure what to do anymore in my game. I finished the main quest line, and got a bunch of “here’s what you did and how much you did!” end credits, but I had rushed the main quest and hadn’t finished like half the other stuff I wanted to do. I don’t know whether I keep puttering around in this save, or if I start over and slow-play the main quest so I can actually have my poo poo together when that final scoring happens.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Verviticus posted:

is 40 badges the most you can get in one year of the fishing contest? i could only get in two shots per day for two days and won all of them for 40 total, but you need like 120 to buy everything

I think it’s 60 - you can fish twice the first day and once the second. Also, there’s a perk in the Social tree which reduces by 10% the cost of all seasonal rewards, which you can get 5 times, so you can technically earn everything in a year, I think.

I’m staring my third run and I keep getting screwed up by taking contracts that it turns out I don’t have the recipes for, stupid memory messing with me. This run I’m going to skip sheds because I think it’ll be easier to just hire the Corps to get me fur and pay Sophie for fertilizer than spend every morning petting animals. I haven’t done coops before - do you need to pet chickens?

Edit: yeah, once that bridge started I had two furnaces on constant carbon bar duty, it was nuts

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Sydin posted:

:lol: the Church sent me a lovely letter calling me a heretic for firing my poison gun. :nallears:

Kinda confused by the church narrative. Nora and Leo are remarkably civil with me given they're preaching a stridently anti-technology stance and I just moved in to set up an industrial workshop, and a majority of the town also seems to be believers as well despite slapping commissions for civil cutters on the job board. It feels as though there's supposed to be this undercurrent of the pro-tech vs the anti-tech in the city - you even have the research lab and church on opposite ends of town at very contrasting height levels to visually reinforce this - but there just... kinda isn't? Nobody seems all that miffed that I just supplied the town with five busses, bus stops, and electric lighting. idk maybe it gets fleshed out later in the story but the whole theme seems really unbaked right now.

There are places where Lee and Nora end up disagreeing, where Nora says, "Tech can be good for our lives, we just have to watch out for it being weaponized and stop that" and Lee says, "Any tech can turn out to be a weapon, remember the dancing robot, we're all doomed if we don't destroy all tech" so I think Lee is just way more of a fanatic on the issue than most church-goers or even necessarily other preachers.

But yeah, you'd think he'd get pissy over all your building, but apparently if you're not directly building and using rifles, it's okay

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Maybe it's time to bother to upgrade the house.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, I definitely think it's getting time to upgrade the house.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Nah, looks normal and fine to me.

I CAN'T FIND MY CAT ANYMORE

Sage Grimm posted:

The museum performs a similar function, though only for +10 and fairly uncommon. I'll maybe see it pop up about once a week.

There's a giant llama?! :3:

Yeah, it's a furniture item. I don't know if it's for sale anywhere; I got it as a random free furniture for winning the workshop rankings one month. If I get another, given my Cotton Llama mount named Fluffdaddy, I may need to place them as gate guardians on the shed. :3

And, yes, life goals are to get 3 of most relics: one for inside the house, one for outside the house, and one for donating to the museum. (Though some of the relics aren't place-able in the house, and some aren't place-able outside, so it's not that insane. It is a little insane, though.)

Now that I think about it, a second Llama statue may be a life goal as well.

Anyways:

Important notes, especially for people still early in the game:

* When you build stuff with the Assembly Station, take a look at its description in your inventory. A lot of stuff will describe it as an "Assembled Item", which means you can build a copy later to donate to the Museum for bonus rep/items. A few items also provide stat bonuses if you build one for the house. The Printing Press you build for Mei, which is pretty damned cheap parts-wise, provides +12 Defense.

* If you decide to skip quests, then first I ask what kind of person you are, holy cow, what are you doing, why would you do that, but IF you do, and those quests offer specific assembled item plans, you can always go back to the Research Center and buy those plans from the store for Discs. When you do the Tree Farm's quest, and have to choose between two paths, that's the way to get the bonus item from the other path as well.

* Speaking of buying stuff: Best Brothers and the A&G Shop have some furniture offerings that change with the seasons, some of which is obvious (fireplaces and Christmas trees in winter) and some of which is not (the long couch is only a summer thing)

Panfilo posted:

And be sure to take Artisan skill, which knocks of 20% of the resource costs.

Warning: does not knock the costs off of things made with the Factory apparently. But by then, gently caress it, you have the Factory.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 12, 2019

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Zack Ater posted:

Thanks! I'm not too strapped for cash (have ~11k, which seems fine for the moment; I'm working on the first assembly station upgrade, already have the first worktable upgrade) but the king fish seem decently rare and at the moment at least I have a lot of stuff I'm prioritizing over fishing, so I think I'll just hold on to them for a while.

To be clear: the Museum has a reward track for donating relics and built items, which is cool. It has a separate rewards track for fish and King Fish, which is crap. Unless you’re looking to 100% the game ASAP,
sell that fish and go buy nice clothes.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm currently working on the aftermath of a fight that gave me a totally anime weapon Rogue Knight Sword. How much main quest is left?

Almost none.

You’ll get one more big quest. When that’s over, you get the “how you did” end scenes. You can still play after that, but there’s no more plot. (Aside from side plot as you advance friendships)

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Hey, as a heads up because the wiki is unclear on this:

Once you've upgraded your house to the 4th level (the marble mansion), there's a "Change Appearance" option. It costs like 100,000 gols and a bunch of high-end materials, and increases the foot print of your house, so it's easy to assume that once you do it you'll get even more floor space inside. But you don't - you're just paying double the cost and using extra space for a more "Victorian mansion" look.

gonna do it anyways

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

patch notes posted:

* Added diapers at the clothing store.

oh god please tell me those are for the babies

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, really, the main “missable” thing in the first year is that the main plot doesn’t really last a year if you focus on it, so slow the heck down, spend days fishing or chatting or dating, and make sure to go to every festival.

The “big plot” requests will generally sit forever once you’ve picked them up - the first time I played it took me maybe two month later to get the Tree Farm fixed and nobody cared.

The only thing really “timed” is that when a batch of new stuff drops due to the main plot (like the Dee Dees) then the villain-builder will take some if you’re not quick enough, which makes getting ahead of him in ranking tougher. The easiest way to deal with that is to recognize big plot points (someone asks you to build something specific, someone asks you to investigate a place) and put off progressing it until you feel like you want to push the game forward.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Plot-wise, if you worked out all your daddy issues, you saw all the plot content. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, then you missed the last plot content drop.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

what

why would you be friends with Higgins

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I’ve spent the last few weeks binging My Time At Sandrock, and it’s definitely solid. Still has your standard indie jank of characters walking into walls or facing the wrong way in conversations but the gameplay loop is fun and they’ve clearly improved from Portia.

The voice acting is… interesting. Some kind of weird line readings and some characters that clearly had different actors (or the same actor forgetting exactly how they did the voice) for cutscenes and for conversations, which seems to be a normal problem for indie games that are writing as they go. But I’ve found a lot of the character dialogue clever and enjoyable.

I was going to complain about the guy reading for Unsuur because the initial conversations with him came across as amateur and wooden readings, and I assumed the actor was due to some sort of kickstarter thing and then the game went on and I realized that no, Unsuur is just an incredibly boring person, and talking with little to no inflection is just what he does. And the actor actually does a good job with making it sound reasonable.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Sydin posted:

-Speaking of inventory, you can buy more inventory space by clicking the last inventory icon in your bag with the "+" in it. Once you have enough wood you should also start making chests and dumping things into them regularly. All storage is linked so you can eventually get to the point where after a mining/hunting run you just open up a chest, then rapidly cycle through all of them while spamming "autofill" to dump out your inventory. Machines can also pull from chests on your property so you don't have to be directly holding materials to use them.

To be clear, I think everything pulls from chests in your shop, with the possible exception of gifts you directly give someone. I've certainly turned in quest requirements, made artifacts, and started research while all of the relevant materials and data discs were in a chest back on my land.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Omnicarus posted:

I really like Clitori's character design but holy moly she's a repugnant person once you get to know her

:goofy:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

In theory the other big advantage of the barn is in rolling over animals - buy a cheap baby, raise it and gather resources off of it, then sell it for 3-4 times what you paid for it.

But yeah, none of that is really that interesting when compared to the money you get from doing comissions and spending that on resources instead.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Megazver posted:

And eat their flesh, even though they're obviously sapient.

I like to think I’m not eating their flesh so much as the flesh they brought for their lunch

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Megazver posted:

where do you think this guy keeps his rack of "rib meat"

Dude, it's a Kangaroo, are you seriously telling me you don't know where it could be hiding a thing

it's like the main thing everyone knows about kangaroos

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Spoiler for people who have not yet resolved the conspiracy but I find the writing hilarious and occasionally super subtle. This struck me after I got through that and repaired the statue:

Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down

Letting the days go by, water flowing underground

Into the blue again, after the money's gone

Once in a lifetime, water flowing underground

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Also, some advice from someone who has been wrestling with the house building stuff:

Rule #1 is don't bother doing any furniture placement until you've got the rooms in the correct place. If you connect two rooms together, it will throw a door in between and send anything on the wall into the mail, and if you place a room on top of another it will build a staircase which throws any furniture in the way straight into the mail as well, so every time you make little adjustments to room size or room placement you end up having to redo all of the interiors again. You'll save a lot of frustration by building all of your rooms first before getting into serious interior decoration. Though you can just build your level 1 and 2 rooms and then decorate level 1 rooms once you're reasonably sure all future rooms will be on level 3.

Rule #2 is, as others have mentioned, stairs just suck. They're all big and huge, the 'corner staircases' taken nearly all of the largest sized room to place, and you can't place corner stairs on top of each other to do a spiral staircase, it literally blocks anything from being placed on top of it. I make a 6x12 room and use "manufactured" staircases going back and forth to create a staircase hallway for multiple floors, it's the least obstrusive.

Rule #3 is to butter up the townsfolk, because on your birthday they'll gift you stuff I have no idea how to get otherwise.

Here's where I am so far. I've finished the exterior, will likely have some more outdoor furniture to place, and now I'm working on the interiors. Much of the design is stolen from a "Sandrock house contest winner" design I found on-line.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

How exactly do you reasonably donate like 50+ things to the Museum? I'm only at like 10. It seems like some things can be added a couple times, but you can't just keep adding the same thing.

When you have something in inventory or in your build menu, you can hover over it and where it tells you what stat bonuses it gives it can also say "Museum Item: Medium Size" or such. All your machines, your basic level tools, many clothes, nearly everything you built as a plot commission, can be donated.

quote:

Btw, where can I find the higher tier animal skin? I somehow had enough to make 4 of the next tier leather, but I have no idea where I got it (and I've had it show up as a fairly lucrative commission multiple times, that I haven't been able to fill since I don't know where to get the item for it). The only animals I come across are yaks, birds, ants, and the little lizards that disguise themselves as cacti.

Across the bridge will be new animals with higher-level drops. If the bridge is blocked by Geeglers, you need to advance the plot to open those up. If you've built the bridge, you need to fight the Boxing Jacks and if you're a terrible person or supremely desperate, the Penskys.

In general, if you need next-tier drops, it's a matter of advancing the plot and farming the area the plot opens.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 22, 2023

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Tired Moritz posted:

is there a way to make Cooper and Hugo sing more? the song is a bop

Once you're about 80% of the way through the game, a stranger will roll into town who will eventually have a song-off with Cooper and Hugo. Same stranger as in Portia, if you played that through.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Zeron posted:

Just unlocked the factory and man this game is so long. But it hasn't worn out it's welcome yet, outside of a couple of points where I ran out of things to do except wait for new story missions to pop up. I'm really impressed by the writing this go around, the main quest goes pretty hard and the characters are all memorable and have so much going on. I do feel like they could have cut the map size in like, 1/2 or 1/3rd and it would have improved the game. You do a lot of big projects, but they're all spread apart that you don't really get the sense of looking around and seeing all you've built like Portia had.

I think the big empty maps are there to make having a horse more useful and fun. If Portia even had mounts, I never really bothered, but having a summon-on-whistle mount in Sandrock is just a necessity after a certain point.

My solution to not seeing everything I've built has been to take pictures of everything big I've made and use those as decorations for my home office and office waiting room. Come in, have a seat next to the artifacts I've dug up and underneath all the pictures of monumental bridges and water structures I've built! Now, let's talk about what I can do for you.

I feel like I've earned my 10% gols advertising bonus.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Unlucky7 posted:

I do not know where to get marble (I just gained access to the Breach).

In addition to the hard rocks as Megazver said, you get them very occasionally mining dirt in the Eufala Salvage Mines (where you get copper / tin / artifacts), and every few days there's a giant marble pillar amid the boulders behind your house which can be broken up for marble.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Man, being married to Heidi makes everything feel incredibly corrupt.

Why, yes, I will take on this super big project my wife has set up and will pay me out for. And then I'll pick up four side commissions for her and just before we get into bed at night I'll pass her the finished products and she'll give me 6000 gols and I'm sure that's all fine and on the up and up

Edit: why would you even think this is corrupt as I get paid out for work by my wife, my father-in-law, and my father-in-law's best friend who all just happen to need materials I already have

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 27, 2023

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

Listened to Owen's Story once. - 2.8% of players have achieved this

Rude!

Also it says only 0.1% of players have achieved the highest ranking on all Hazardous Ruins, which seems really hard to believe.

It's up to 4.9% now that it's "fixed", but I think they broke it the other way - I have it, and I never went through the last Hazardous Ruin level, because it was offering me literally nothing of value for an annoying timed platformer.

Edit: Finally finished it myself, letting the endless credits for kickstarter backers run in the background. Took me until Day 2 of Spring, Year 3 to finish the main plot, and ~190 hours of game, which is insane amounts. And there's temptation to go back and finish the couple of side quests I never got to, and to continue raising my child until he's out of swaddling clothes and I can see his hair color, at least. Just an absolute charm of a game.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 28, 2023

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

It's done through the stable interface. Which is a little counter-intuitive given that there are objects that let you rename pets.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I'm on this invitation like a vampire into a blood bank

Overall house, largely inspired by a design I saw in an official Sandrock House Design contest:

Close-up of the courtyard, where you can see the entrance to the home office on the left, the main house on the right, the garden in the back behind the trees, and Heidi sighing at my architectural choices:

Home office waiting room, north and south views, where you can hang out and look at artifacts I've found and pictures of me with things I've built:

And then in the room to the north of that is the office itself:

On the house side, the main entrance is into the receiving room / party room:

The room beyond that has the kitchen behind the stairs going up:

Upstairs landing:

The room on the left from there is the play room for the kids, the Thursday night Mahjong group, and my exercise machine:

Straight ahead from the landing is the portrait hall:

The large door in the south of the portrait hall leads to the sun room:

And to the southwest is the library:

I did not include pictures of the barely furnished room to the west with 27 chests in it, even though technically it must be the most used room in the house.

Anyways, third floor landing:

Leading to the master bedroom, filled with pictures of major life events and friends:

And the baby's room off to the side of that:

I have thoughts about collecting all the rest of the artifacts that I'm missing and filling the house up more, but now that I've run out of main plot I'm far less excited about that.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

King of Solomon posted:

They decided to add a new bachelorette two thirds into the game's main story. It sucks because I wanna meet everyone before making any choices like that

Do you want to have a girlfriend who used to be an actress and did she tell you that she used to be an actress and this situation is so much like a play she was once in, did she tell you about that play and how she used to be an actress?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

She's coming soon-ish, then.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Gato posted:

Well, this has been a pleasant surprise. Never really got into life sims but something about the setting and characters here is really charming without being cloying or cartoonish.

Some noob questions:
- Is there any way to track ingredients for things that aren't commissions or whatever's currently on your assembler, like machine upgrades?

Disappointingly, no.

quote:

- How important are cooking and farming? So far I've just been doing Owen's farming requests and growing a coffee tree because I saw a tip saying that would pay off, and I haven't touched cooking at all.

Not very. Eventually you'll open up another mission board where you can deliver grown plants and cooked stuff for rewards just like you can deliver machine parts for rewards; there will be side plots where grown stuff are requirements; and homegrowing your own healing may be nice. But putting a lot of effort into it is just a waste of time. You won't really need more than one of each type of tree.

quote:

- I can't seem to increase relationships beyond 3 hearts, I'm assuming this is a story related limit? I've just rebuilt the bridge

It's not a limit I'm aware of but maybe?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

FireWorksWell posted:

I've been doing farm stuff (without any cooking) for passive income over time, I get a couple hundred from harvesting every day and I sell off at a few stores. I've still got a lot to sell but they only refresh so much gol at a time. What have people been doing to make their money instead of farming?

Commissions, side quests, and time. I don’t think I’ve sold more than 500 gols of stuff across the course of my game.

There’s a social skill where you earn extra money for finishing a commission same-day. That’s hard to do at first, but if you build two of each machine and have them running constantly with “what does my inventory say I have less than twenty of” you can generally get to the point where commissions are asking you for bars and pieces you’ve got, and you’re only really reacting to the big story/level commissions, and then eventually you can start same-daying the big stuff. Same-daying also means you’re turning in more commissions each day, so you’re generally taking in more and now making a bonus on top of that.

The other help is another social skill that gives more extra money for submitting something of higher quality, and once you have the refiner, it’s usually pretty easy to refine big single orders for an extra 10% cash.

Harder to get because it’s the last skill in a tree of three, but you can eventually get a social skill that gives you +10% gols for commissions while you’re advertising your shop in the paper.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Mordiceius posted:

The My Time series is my favorite games in the cozy/farm sim/building genre. I think these games are leaps and bounds more interesting and engaging than any other games out there. Plus, they have so much drat content. The only issue I have with Sandrock (and it was the same problem with Portia) is quest pacing.

I feel like so much of the side content ends up front loaded and so by mid-way through the main missions, I've completely run out of side content. And then the main missions will often have multi-day gaps between parts, leaving me just sleeping days away to get to the next step.

This problem is exacerbated by my tendency to overprepare and overfarm for materials. But I just had a story quest that made me wait 5 days before the next step and I had maybe one other quest in that time. It lead to me waking up, doing commissions, talking to some people and giving some gifts, and then sending my builder to sleep by noon multiple days in a row. Feels kinda bad.

I wish the side missions and friendship missions were paced out a little more.

It's a fair complaint. I think you have to tee up some personal objectives as well to fill in those times - days where I'm waiting are the days where I'm going into the mines to chase very specific artifacts, or building stuff to donate to the museum, or chasing down materials to build stuff for decorating my workshop, or having playdates with characters I want to be better friends with, or chasing money in ways I don't normally have time for (monster bounties, usually). Because you're right that the game will just give you some free time and if you need quests to drive you you're just going to get bored.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I planted three of each tree and the squeeze was absolutely not worth the juice if you’ll accept the tree fruit related metaphor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Cooper is 100% someone who used to be Qanon but decided it was getting too mainstream, now he’s into flat earth theory.