Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Finally remembered I own this game a year after I bought it, and it's a lot of fun. I just completely lost my Sunday, didn't realise time was passing until it started to get dark

Mysticblade posted:

Hey, I remember hearing this game was really janky on release but I've feeling like one of these sorts of games again and the focus on crafting looks interesting.

Has the early jank been fixed up or is it still around? And if not, is it still worth getting? Of the Harvest Moon-likes I've played, my favorites were RF3/4 and Stardew Valley.

I'm not noticing any jank at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
This game is much comfier than Stardew Valley. I'm pretty sure I've finished the main story missions, but I'm enjoying pootling around fishing and doing crafting commissions and growing crops.

In contrast, post-evaluation Stardew Valley just feels pointless.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

TurnipFritter posted:

the guy i anime married in Portia leaves after the main storyline so that's pretty funny and i hope Sandrock has something similar.

oh it does, and how

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Act 3 and main story finale update just dropped, even though the official 1.0 launch is November 2

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1084600/view/3748740074327462625

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

FrickenMoron posted:

It's larger but you have plenty more fast travel options and can get a horse.

It's better laid-out, too. Like the church is still on top of a hill but you don't have to spiral around and around to climb up to it.

Lots more paths and alternate routes in general.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Number one tip is to build lots of chests, find an organisational scheme that makes sense to you, and make friends with the Sort All button. Come back from a mining/gathering expedition, open the first chest you see, click Sort All, and enjoy the feeling of everything in your inventory being whisked away to whatever chest already contains some of it.

The thing I learned the hard way in Portia is to parallelise your work, don't just built one of each machine. You don't necessarily want to go hog wild right from the start (each machine consumes water as well as fuel, after all), but building more machines lets you keep a stock of raw materials and make secondary products as you need them.
My personal goal is to fill all non-storyline commissions on the same day I accept them, and I build enough machines that I can reliably do this.
3-4 each of furnace, recycler, grinder, processor, 2 tailoring machines, and one of everything else

The fire-powered generator is far more useful than it may seem at first glance - instead of having to refuel machines as you use them you can just refuel one big furnace occasionally and otherwise forget about it.

Once you reach the second tier of machines you can queue up a second product to start automatically after the first is finished, and this lets you (with some planning) run your machines non-stop while you do other things like ruin diving or mining or murdering wildlife.

Scrap in the salvage yard regenerates every day, and you should take note of what bonus items each type of scrap pile yields and use that to your advantage. Some days I pick the whole yard clean, other days I just go in and grab the juicy bits to keep them stocked up in my workshop.

Khanstant posted:

I'd recommend turning the time slower, although early on when you have low stamina and relatively few things to do, you can end up with a lot of dead time with no stamina, which you can use to build friendship up or just smell the daisies. At the default speed I felt punished if I ever spent time standing around or talking to someone out of my way, or just exploring, but with it slowed it felt more balanced, gave me time to look at my stuff and plan or goof off.

Play the way that makes you happy, but my recommendation is to leave the time speed as it is. Slowing the clock speed also slows down your machines, and that's often as not what you're waiting on. The only things fixed on the calendar are festivals, you don't need to rush through to reach any particular milestone by X date.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Khanstant posted:

Plus any day with that bastard Yan above me is one with something to rectify.
I am on track to knock him off the number one spot by the end of the first month

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

FrickenMoron posted:

It's absolutely possible but you will need to rush the 2 commissions per day perk asap.

Not actually true!

You get an additional commission per day on reaching workshop level 2, and whole bunch of points for donating to the museum, and some of the story commissions have supporting request board commissions that don't count towards your daily limit

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sydin posted:

2. Side missions: little side adventures you can do around town with the various townsfolk. Some of these *are* time sensitive in that if you ignore them for too long they disappear forever, and/or once picked up need you to do something within a specific time period. The quest is usually explicit about this though (ie: "Hey Player come meet me at the scrap yard TONIGHT at 23:00) and also in the quest log will specifically say how much time you have to complete the quest.

If the mission quest doesn't have a time limit, you can do it another day even if the associated dialogue says TONIGHT. The times are also windows of varying width, eg that one means "between 11 pm and midnight".
The fireside chats are scheduled to start at 18:00 but their window also lasts at least an hour, possibly even until 20:00.

One quest has you acting as an assistant to another character, with the instruction to turn up at 9:00 sharp. I arrived at 14:00 and completed the job without complaint :v:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Pen and Krystal make it all worth it

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Suck it, Yan

Khanstant posted:

I'm a sucker for Catoris janky rear end New York accent

HELLOW!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

FrickenMoron posted:

Quartz simply drops from gravel stones about 50% of the time or so. Just as bloodstone is from hard rocks

First time I played I tried to break a hard rock with my basic pickaxe, couldn't, and then seemingly completely deleted those rocks from my awareness. I spent in-game weeks buying up every bloodstone Amirah would sell me and cursing their scarcity before something clicked and I remembered those rocks existed :downs:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You can take group photos with your mount now, and there are multiple poses

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Caidin posted:

Why is Geegler President not a eligible bachelor?!

He already has a girlfriend, pay attention to the title screen

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Caidin posted:

I keep getting Logan on a ram or a buffalo or whatever his ride is. One time I think it was somebody driving a wagon?

Anyway I am crushed

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dirk the Average posted:

Gift decay is really silly for animals. In my experience, dogs are super happy to receive the same treat over and over every day for their entire lives.

Depends on the animal. With my local magpie couple, the male likes the meatballs I offer but sometimes seems to get sick of them and looks for something else, but the female is older and more practical and is happy to eat the same thing every day so long as it means she gets to eat every day.

So I make sure to give CoCo a variety of scorpsters, golden scorpions and cactus fruit.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sloober posted:

Another pro tip is that when you have a mount, collecting dew from your dew collectors is instant when mounted

:aaaaa:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Sword and shield are good because the combo is reasonably fast (to get some good hits in before the enemy winds up their attack) and you can interrupt it to tank hits with your shield.

Daggers are okay if you invest the points in quicker recovery from dodging.

I really tried to like spears but they take too long to finish the combo and a whole bunch of enemies have leap attacks which minimises the advantage of the spear's reach.

Greatswords are just too drat slow.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sydin posted:

S&S provides some extra defense which is completely irrelevant because you can just spam healing items from the quickbar instantly and forever.

What the shield does is stop your defense getting broken and hence stops you getting knocked over and being unable to attack until you recover

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Each tile takes 2 units of water to fully hydrate, but once they're watered it takes the crops a while to use it all up (and they don't dry out over time if left unplanted).
Build yourself a bunch of dew collectors (8 or so is a good start) and you'll get a useful supply of water every morning (harvest the dew before midday or it starts to evaporate).

There are some useful skill points you can take that reduce the amount of dew required to make 1 unit of water (from 10 to 8), that increase the amount of dew harvested by collectors (+50%), and that reduce the water consumption of crops and machines.

The crop harvests are pretty big, you don't need to plant very many tiles to produce the resources you need.
Even if you buy everything else it's well worth planting some jute cantaloupe as (for a time) canvas is in fairly high demand

Edit: Once you get a cooking station you can also occasionally get commissions to produce cooked food, which can have very high returns for very low effort. They just can't get enough of my meat-stuffed mushroom

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sloober posted:

i'm sort of torn on dew collectors because they don't really net you that much. sending a pet on a water collection alone gets you at least 2 water units and like 15 dew which is more than you get out of a half dozen basic dew collectors. it adds up, over time, its just underwhelming

I have a row of 8 upgraded dew collectors along one edge of my yard and with the relevant skill points that gives me 64 or 72 dew every morning (depending on how the fractional units pan out that day), which makes 8 or 9 units of water.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sloober posted:

i'm sort of torn on dew collectors because they don't really net you that much. sending a pet on a water collection alone gets you at least 2 water units and like 15 dew which is more than you get out of a half dozen basic dew collectors. it adds up, over time, its just underwhelming
I have a row of 8 upgraded dew collectors along one edge of my yard and with the relevant skill points that gives me 64 or 72 dew every morning (depending on how the fractional units pan out that day), which makes 8 or 9 units of water.

Ytlaya posted:

edit: One completely unrelated question - will there be another Dance-off at some point? I wasn't able to buy all the Dancing stuff.

Megazver posted:

I'm pretty sure all the town events share currency and the store. The dance stuff should be in there along with the Halloween stuff and the NYE stuff, etc.
Note also that you can buy festival items at any time, the shop is on the mayor's office ground floor, against the back wall by her desk

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

LLSix posted:

What are you feeding the pets to have a horde of them. I haven't found anything the pets like as a gift.

Except Meerkat which I think likes shiny scorpions.

The objectively best animal companion, CoCo, likes cactus fruit, scorpsters, and shiny scorpions

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Wish I could adopt X :(

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ytlaya posted:

BTW what are people naming their workshops? Mine is "Dustworks," which I thought was pretty good since I'm normally terrible at naming things.
My builder is named Sparrow and the workshop is Passerine's

Ytlaya posted:

So this bridge donation appears to let me donate with no limit.

How much do the rewards from this scale? I don't want to toss 10k at it and get little in return.
Donating over 100% doesn't give you any extra social bonuses (gifts, reputation)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The most time-sensitive meeting I've seen is Venti's quests where she asks you to meet her at 23:00, and if you arrive after 24:00 they don't trigger

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Did you do that after the full launch, or in the testing period? I started a new game after the November 2 launch and I could have sworn they shift that mission to start earlier

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You can clear that right up with some concealer from Arvio's shop

or get the perk that lets you stay up until 3 am without penalty

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ytlaya posted:

God dammit. Why is the game offering me a commission for Perfect Steel Frames when it's apparently impossible for me to aquire the gem necessary to refine them? I got greedy and accepted because it paid over 6000 gol and I'm very low on money.

I guess it's technically possible to refine all the component parts, but that would take an obscene number of fluorite.

Actually, is it even possible to craft a Perfect thing using perfect components? I haven't tried it. Does it require every single component be Perfect?

Quality of components has no bearing on the quality of a product, to the best of my knowledge. What gem does it require?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

FrickenMoron posted:

Some of the scraps can be recycled in some recipes, I just put them in a box and forget about them

There are four types of worthless garbage: ruined glass, ruined paper, ruined cloth and food scraps.
You can sell the glass, paper and cloth but it's not worth it as you have to sell them in units of 2 (cloth) or 4 (glass and paper) to yield a single gol.
Food scraps can be consumed for a single stamina point each.

The most straightforward way to deal with these (and throwing rocks) is to open your inventory, click on them, press R, and discard them

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I get enough dregs from scrap piles and recycling that I don't think I've ever used anything else for fuel

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Unlucky7 posted:

So, I had an NPC teleport to a different location on me for the second time. Like, not for a cutscene or event or anything. I mean I was trying to go to them to interact then they literally teleported to a different part of the map. Is that just something that will be happening that I should get used to?

As mentioned, after a few hours of play, NPC pathing can begin to break down, but if you're talking about them popping around on your map then it's because NPCs can use yakmel stations for longer trips instead of walking all the way.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Hailfire posted:

During festivals Matilda regularly ascends to the heavens before slamming down further along her path, a feeling of tremendous threat is generated when she ODST's infront of me.

That's explained later

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If you don't adopt CoCo there's something wrong with you and I don't think we can be friends

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'd adopt him if there was a perch i could buy. what is an owl going to do with a pet sofa?

The cutout opening in the Animal House is unexpectedly appropriate for CoCo

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

LLSix posted:

Also the game seems to bug out sometimes and either not give you any points or just not show them sometimes. Not sure which. But I I’ve reloaded on a few birthdays to try again until it worked.

You know how when you do multiple things that give you money, xp, etc, it sums the notifications? If you accrue more of something while the existing notification for it is fading out, it doesn't display (but you get the points).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The issue I had with the factory was that I picked up my machines and carried them inside one at a time without putting them in my inventory. This caused the factory to not recognise them correctly, but as soon as I picked up each one, pressed T to put it in inventory, and put it back down, they worked fine. When the factory recognises a new machine it draws a temporary glowing blue line on the floor from the console to the machine.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

:mad:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Finished the game, and through what is apparently an amazing coincidence both the final party and my now-spouse's proposal happened on the same day, which is also my builder's birthday.
Everything's coming up Milhouse Builder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's an Ataran accent you clowns