Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Zesty posted:

Game is currently 60% off. You can get it for a mere $12 and I guarantee you can get a hundred hours of content out of it in its current state.

They put out an awkward video that basically came down to them promising 10 hours of new story content will be added to the end of the game as well as a new villager and some quality of life features.

I really loved the game, so I'll classify this video as 'adorkable'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There's no reason not to do Kickstarter these days for a bit of extra security/testing the waters, tbh.

Also, if anyone skipped clicking a random undescribed Youtube link - they're Kickstarting My Time at Sandrock, the sequel to My Time at Portia.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aolJ3ZHzhCo

Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1757963851/my-time-at-sandrock-us

Megazver fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 26, 2020

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's going to be a special map/zone, apparently.

Which is not as fun as doing the whole game together, but I guess I prefer them taking things slow and aiming for something achievable, then trying to create a full co-op experience as their second game.

Maybe they'll expand on that in their third game.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

kloa posted:

There was a lot of charm with Portia, so hoping this next game is even better (especially with MP). Not a fan of 2d stuff like Stardew Valley, so I've been jonesing for a game like this to be MP and play with some friends/family.

Have you tried Dragon Quest Builders 2?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

kloa posted:

Not yet. May pick it up on a sale eventually, but it looked more akin to Minecraft (open-ended) than a dedicated housing plot with upgrades and such, which is what I've been looking for like Portia.

Nah. It's about half and half you building cute little villages for NPCs (and you actually BUILD them, brick by brick) and half adventuring to collect materials and do quests (which is a lot more fun than Portia's monster killing and dungeons). It's very fun, I assure you. Take a closer look at some video reviews, maybe.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 26, 2020

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's still not, like, SUPER polished like a bigger and better financed studio's game would be, but it's fine. Play it, it's very fun.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The dungeon crawling in general isn't great.

BTW, if anyone else wants another game like this one, Dragon Quest Builders 2 is great.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Guess they're working on both Sandrock and more ports of Portia.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
An interesting video on the Chinese indie PC scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrTZ_UeUxM

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Don't forget to steal the bars out of his furnaces every day.

Goddammit.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I Kickstarted Sandrock and got a Closed Beta key in the mail. You might have gotten one as well.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
My Time at Sandrock Early Access comes to Steam and Epic on May 26, 2022.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzMeCOArrGA

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you decide to chop some trees, like the piece-of-poo poo tree murderer that you are, do it after dark.

And they do grow back eventually, thankfully.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

Sorry I should have clarified but im playing Portia and basically everytime the pickaxe hits something theres a 0.5 second pause. I want to get rid of that if its possible. Since it does not happen with the Axe I take it the game does some sanity/recalcuiation check for the breakable terrain but doesnt take into account if you actually hit terrain.

What are you playing it on? I hear the console versions are just unsalvageable.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RandomBlue posted:

I already feel pressured just to get my commissions and other quests done and use all my stamina and get to bed before 3AM. I can't imagine trying to talk to everybody every day in addition to that.

yes, it's literally crazy talk

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I kickstarted MTaS to support them, then I played enough of the first alpha to understand I don't regret supporting them, now I'm waiting for 1.0.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I appreciate them theming the entire update around their love for Radiohead.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

hello mommy

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'll probably wait for a patch or two, but I'm also quite excited.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
We should maybe change the title to indicate Sandrock is out.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Shadowheart is done with all the mindflayer bullshit. Time to craft some infrastructure.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
One protip that baffled me for a bit: some items you need to, say, upgrade your tools from Copper to Bronze you just need to buy from the vendors. Sharpening Stone for tools, Salt for... stuff, etc.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

The fake southern accents that half the characters have are super grating and annoying. It's refreshing when someone sounds normal.

The devs are Chinese, so just consider it penance for all the time Western games had someone do a terrible Asian accent.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Panfilo posted:

It's weird that Cooper and Mabel don't sit together in the temple. And poor Pebbles is resigned to sitting in the naughty bench way in the back lol.

If you were married to Cooper, you'd want some weekly time away from the dude.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Physical location of the chest doesn't matter (you can keep most of them outdoors or inside the house in a far-off room!) but unless you want to go insane if you ever need to pull something specific out, I'd suggest setting up different chests for different categories of stuff. (You can rename them, which helps a lot.)

Right now I've got chests for Artifact Stuff 1-3, Animal Bits, Cooking Ingredients, Books, Metal, Wood, Stone, Gems, Produce, Plants, Dishes, Clothes 1-3, Gizmos, Grinder Parts, etc.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
um, uh, p-please don't!?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Panfilo posted:

I just realized you can be in multiple relationships at the same time :magical: holy poo poo I know what I need to do.

You can't marry them all, alas. (At least right now. I am sure the polycule mods are already being worked on.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Lol, asian devs. "You need more than eight symbols to name something? Are you writing a book there or what?!"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

TwoDice posted:

Is it worth playing through the first one first or should I start with Sandrock?

You don't need to, but I like it. You can probably play them backwards, if after playing Sandrock you want more and don't mind more jank.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there are mods to fix most of the problems i had with portia. i don't think there's anything like the glorious combined inventory chests, unfortunately.

do any other farmlikes have wormhole chests, though?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Oh Catori, how can someone so hot also be such a loser. I still simp, ofc, but simping for you is the hard mode of this game.

Daztek posted:

I only played the first EA release before playing 1.0 so Venti suddenly having a personality was a surprise

I only remembered she existed after this thread reminded me. She never features in any events or commissions.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

well look who shows up on the perch over the Eufalfa fish pond during a sandstorm

not bad

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I only just bothered looking into furniture bonuses and I wish I did sooner. I mostly just plopped down whatever someone gave me for free somewhere inside the house and forgot about it. Turns out that sure, Defense and HP aren't that important to max out (IMO) but just by maxing out the furniture Attack bonus I doubled the damage I do to the monsters, which makes combat a lot less boring.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

LLSix posted:

I have never needed more than 1 grinder and processor. Often I don’t even have the inputs to keep 1 running all day. The rest of the advice is pretty good.

I prefer to have two of each so if I run out of something, I can crank out the necessary amount twice as fast. But they don't run 24/7 like furnaces/recyclers.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

edit: One completely unrelated question - will there be another Dance-off at some point? I wasn't able to buy all the Dancing stuff.

I'm pretty sure all the town events share currency and the store. The dance stuff should be in there along with the Halloween stuff and the NYE stuff, etc.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's not her fault she's competing with an eldritch entity that's puppeting her main rival with inhuman level of efficiency.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
X is the one who adopts.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Daztek posted:

Murder them for loot

And eat their flesh, even though they're obviously sapient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

skeleton warrior posted:

I like to think I’m not eating their flesh so much as the flesh they brought for their lunch

where do you think this guy keeps his rack of "rib meat"