Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Pulsarcat posted:

Do you have a forging station? I think you need one to craft any weapon better than stone ones.
And the iron tools require the intermediate worktable.

You might also have to buy the recipes from the commerce guild store, I can't remember.

Thanks. I don’t have a forging station, so I will give that a try. Only 48 data disks for next day delivery 🚚

I don’t see a recipe for them in the commerce guild and I already bought most of the recipes there. Maybe I am missing a second tab or something though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

LLSix posted:

Thanks. I don’t have a forging station, so I will give that a try. Only 48 data disks for next day delivery 🚚

I don’t see a recipe for them in the commerce guild and I already bought most of the recipes there. Maybe I am missing a second tab or something though?

New recipes get added at certain points, so you have to keep checking back for them

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Lol, asian devs. "You need more than eight symbols to name something? Are you writing a book there or what?!"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ytlaya posted:

I just realized that I'm an idiot and, for some reason, thought that the second tier pickaxe/axe required the upgraded Workbench. I spent a long time confused about how I was supposed to upgrade the workbench using materials that require the upgraded pickaxe/axe (and the fact that you needed said upgraded tools to salvage this stage for this main quest I'm on).

tbf I have well over 100 hours in this game and only just realized like two days ago that you can actually upgrade all your machines for a slightly lower material cost by clicking the arrow in the top left of their menus instead of having to make whole new furnaces out of scratch when you've unlocked a new tier. :downs:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

You can buy furniture and recipes with them at the commerce guild. Save em for some of the better guns.

Honestly never found much use for them, all the melee weapons seemed about equally OP and had no problem mowing through enemies, with a tiny bit of potion/food chugging during later boss battles. Also really didn't care for the mechanics of using the gun. I didn't even stick with one weapon (to be fair in EA you maxed out all weapon skills out of sheer nothing else to put points early on) although I think daggers are my fav attack animation flow to use.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

FrickenMoron posted:

People on the discord love posting their husbands/wifes and he's definitely a cool guy. Logan&Fang are the most popular with the ladies by a mile, followed by Owen.

Logan is hot.

The reporter man just sighs because he knows it's true.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sydin posted:

tbf I have well over 100 hours in this game and only just realized like two days ago that you can actually upgrade all your machines for a slightly lower material cost by clicking the arrow in the top left of their menus instead of having to make whole new furnaces out of scratch when you've unlocked a new tier. :downs:

Thank you for mentioning this, because I absolutely would have crafted them from scratch.

FrickenMoron posted:

People on the discord love posting their husbands/wifes and he's definitely a cool guy. Logan&Fang are the most popular with the ladies by a mile, followed by Owen.

What about Qi? He seems like he would also be kind of popular.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 12, 2023

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Khanstant posted:

Honestly never found much use for them, all the melee weapons seemed about equally OP and had no problem mowing through enemies, with a tiny bit of potion/food chugging during later boss battles. Also really didn't care for the mechanics of using the gun. I didn't even stick with one weapon (to be fair in EA you maxed out all weapon skills out of sheer nothing else to put points early on) although I think daggers are my fav attack animation flow to use.

I'm the opposite, I never want to engage in melee cause I'm lazy, so the higher tier rifles just let you one tap pretty much every enemy and if you dont one tap you can just quickly burst them down.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Btw, do you need guns to knock down those chests hanging from cliffs?

And does a quest introduce guns to you at some point? I don't think I've encountered any yet.

edit: Unrelated, but I like the implementation of mounts in this. They feel very easy/convenient to use.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Ytlaya posted:

Btw, do you need guns to knock down those chests hanging from cliffs?

And does a quest introduce guns to you at some point? I don't think I've encountered any yet.

edit: Unrelated, but I like the implementation of mounts in this. They feel very easy/convenient to use.

Throwing rocks are fine for most of them I think. Aim for the balloon.

Yeah you get a quest that gives you an antique pistol for free fairly early on.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I love Yan as a character, he's got that mixture of used car salesmen and slimy low level politician that's fun to watch.
But there is at least one time I legitimately "Gotta hand it to him".

At one point Catori wants to commission a large expansion to her arcade and when asked how she's going to pay she says she'll cut the guild in a percentage of the profits of her business, her failing business.

Yan basically tells her to get lost, and if you say you should have helped he gives you a bit of advice, never take on a job unless you already know where the money is coming from.

"I promise I'll pay you after I've succeeded and you've already done all the work"

Outside the context of a video game, it's genuinely sound advice.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Catori also later promises to pay you in non-fungible arcade tokens in exchange for doing some repair work to one her arcade machines, and yes those are her exact words, not mine.

This is by the way after she's even managed to blow through Mi-an's good will, who very apologetically has to tell her that sorry but I cannot work for catoricoin anymore, no matter how much you insist it's going to the moon, next time you want work from me please pay for it via the guild and put it up on the commission board.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

I'm the opposite, I never want to engage in melee cause I'm lazy, so the higher tier rifles just let you one tap pretty much every enemy and if you dont one tap you can just quickly burst them down.

I'm glad both sides are equally effective at giving the player the option mercilessly now down all opposition with their weapon of choice. I'm also glad they have a good spear in the game, games always skimp out on spear.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sydin posted:

Catori also later promises to pay you in non-fungible arcade tokens in exchange for doing some repair work to one her arcade machines, and yes those are her exact words, not mine.

This is by the way after she's even managed to blow through Mi-an's good will, who very apologetically has to tell her that sorry but I cannot work for catoricoin anymore, no matter how much you insist it's going to the moon, next time you want work from me please pay for it via the guild and put it up on the commission board.

Fortunately the protagonist has the superpower of "being puppetted by an extra-dimensional entity for whom both gol and game tokens are equally fake currency."

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

Fortunately the protagonist has the superpower of "being puppetted by an extra-dimensional entity for whom both gol and game tokens are equally fake currency."

It helps that by that point in the story you’re going to be swimming in gols if you’ve kept up with commissions.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
For contrast the life savings of Arvio and Amara combined is only 3000 Gols even though I'm pretty sure their shops have much more than that when selling them stuff.

The people that stuck around in Sandrock did so for a reason- couldn't hack it in the Free Cities and wanted to get on the ground floor of something new in the middle of nowhere. That and nostalgia for their podunk town of course.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Is it worth playing through the first one first or should I start with Sandrock?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

TwoDice posted:

Is it worth playing through the first one first or should I start with Sandrock?

You don't need to, but I like it. You can probably play them backwards, if after playing Sandrock you want more and don't mind more jank.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TwoDice posted:

Start with Sandrock. It's a massive improvement in all ways and just a solid fun game. The original I'd only recommend with some asterisks at this point.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

TwoDice posted:

you absolutely don't need to and arguably if you try playing it after Sandrock you're gonna be bummed at all the QoL features this game has that Portia didn't, IMHO

The stories actually take place concurrently, IIRC, so the only 'overlap' is the appearance of a few characters from Portia coming to visit Sandrock briefly. If you haven't played My Time at Portia you won't have context for some of their lines, but you don't need context to make Pablo making fun of Albert delightful

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are mods to fix most of the problems i had with portia. i don't think there's anything like the glorious combined inventory chests, unfortunately.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there are mods to fix most of the problems i had with portia. i don't think there's anything like the glorious combined inventory chests, unfortunately.

do any other farmlikes have wormhole chests, though?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I uh, didn't realize there was a massive section of land northwest of town. Now I'm rolling in Chromium/Aluminum despite only scratching the surface of Gekko station.

Also Venti basically immediately asking you out after a short quest line is kind of a neat departure from most of these games. Not every relationship starts with a long, long friendship and courtship period. Sometimes you just notice the Builder's got a nice rear end and shoot your shot.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I only played the first EA release before playing 1.0 so Venti suddenly having a personality was a surprise

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Oh Catori, how can someone so hot also be such a loser. I still simp, ofc, but simping for you is the hard mode of this game.

Daztek posted:

I only played the first EA release before playing 1.0 so Venti suddenly having a personality was a surprise

I only remembered she existed after this thread reminded me. She never features in any events or commissions.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I'm guessing the dating quests with Catori involve her repeatedly asking you for loans or finding a place to hide her car so it doesn't get repossessed lol.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Panfilo posted:

I'm guessing the dating quests with Catori involve her repeatedly asking you for loans or finding a place to hide her car so it doesn't get repossessed lol.

This Catori sounds relatable, games need more characters who are losers

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Megazver posted:

Oh Catori, how can someone so hot also be such a loser. I still simp, ofc, but simping for you is the hard mode of this game.

I only remembered she existed after this thread reminded me. She never features in any events or commissions.

Miguel is the hard mode romance.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
The barn seems outright bad, what am I missing?

Turning relatively expensive vegetables into the same items I could find 20 feet behind my house by kicking trees or stabbing cows seems bad. Even if it eventually gives higher tier versions of the items, I'm not impressed given the food costs and building footprint.

On a non-useless front, the Assault rifle is really good and justifies its ammo cost.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

In theory the other big advantage of the barn is in rolling over animals - buy a cheap baby, raise it and gather resources off of it, then sell it for 3-4 times what you paid for it.

But yeah, none of that is really that interesting when compared to the money you get from doing comissions and spending that on resources instead.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
The big problem I have with non house buildings is space is such a premium to occupy with like a barn or a coop or whatever, homestead expansions only add a few columns at a time

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

LLSix posted:

Well... I don't know what happened.

The iron tier tools probably aren't tied to the forging station because you make them at the workbench and they just showed up as crafting options while I was researching the forging station but before I got the blueprints.

The most likely explanation is that they've been there for awhile and I skimmed past them the times I looked before.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I haven't gotten into the game since 1.0

What kind of weapons should I focus my efforts on? I went with knives in pre-release, but found it kind of boring because it was just dual-wielding huge rear end swords.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I put one point in each weapon to unlock the combos.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
All the weapons are fine. The top left branch of the tree with Break +1 and Crit Chance +5% is very strong though.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the weapons are all effectively the same. i see a lot of people hype up greatswords or whatev

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

My starter calf has been sitting in a chest for over two years because I haven't built a barn for it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Sword and shield are good because the combo is reasonably fast (to get some good hits in before the enemy winds up their attack) and you can interrupt it to tank hits with your shield.

Daggers are okay if you invest the points in quicker recovery from dodging.

I really tried to like spears but they take too long to finish the combo and a whole bunch of enemies have leap attacks which minimises the advantage of the spear's reach.

Greatswords are just too drat slow.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zesty posted:

I haven't gotten into the game since 1.0

What kind of weapons should I focus my efforts on? I went with knives in pre-release, but found it kind of boring because it was just dual-wielding huge rear end swords.

Daggers have the coolest combo animations
Spear has the best reach
GS is big dick numbers but you have to hit which isn't always easy when the enemy is spazzing out
S&S provides some extra defense which is completely irrelevant because you can just spam healing items from the quickbar instantly and forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Thing I like about daggers later on is if enemies are dying in one or two hits from anything, it hits more often more quickly.