Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fellis posted:

housing reg is a massacre this year

its like 12:30 reg time or gently caress you no skywalk

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a solution to this without bending the laws of space and time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I don't get where you are going. There are a finite amount of rooms and clearly many more people want them. Unless you are suggesting that they hold out rooms and dole them out so that some people who get earlier times get worse rooms, then there's not much to be done unless GenCon buys up the minor league stadium next door and levels it to build more hotels.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If there are 72,000 attendees and noon to midnight is 7,200 minutes, then they are probably throttling at 100 attendees/minute and I'm not sure that some of the hotel sites can handle significantly more than that level of throughput. I mean, yeah, I'd like for there to be a better solution, but I don't know that there's an easy one, especially since we are seeing what appears to be a 3-4x increase in demand, year-over-year.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Agrias120 posted:

A friend and I are working on a little microsite to help people who needed recommendations during Gen Con. Right now it's just food, but maybe we'll add general Gen Con tips as well. It's nothing special, but if anyone finds it helpful it'll be worth it. My friend is a native of Indy and wanted to write up some alternative/supplemental food suggestions to what he usually reads in this thread, and I figured we might as well go the extra inch and make a site out of it. You can sort by price range, and it's organized into stuff that's walkable and stuff that's a short Uber away.

If anyone does end up finding it useful, I can post when we add new information to it leading up to Gen Con.

Claddagh is walkable chain Irish, and is perfectly servicable.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I worked GenCon SoCal once. Ask me once I've had a few beers at GenCon this year and I'll tell you about how [a person who is definitely a legally distinct person from me] evacuated the place with fire.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Cherry Hill, NJ and Chester, PA seem like some of the worst possible east coast places to hold a convention, so, :yeah:

Putting a con within accessible distance to the DC metro area though, would be rad as poo poo right about now, because the whole I-95 corridor is basically a gaming hotspot with unlimited $$$.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Necronomicon posted:

I've heard about Shots Wednesday a couple of times but never went to it. Is it just...Goons doing shots? I'm going to be there with three friends, two of which are sort-of-Goons (they haven't read or posted in forever) so I figure we should probably do that.

Also definitely showing up on Tuesday this year. That'll give me time to see family and friends, mentally prepare myself, and also my job has unlimited vacation so why the gently caress not

Shots Wednesday is actually a trip to the local outdoor range where we get our Yee Haw on and empty about 5000 rounds into stacks of old boardgames and sourcebooks that didn't sell in last year's auction.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Does anyone have lamp pics?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

For me the most bang/buck event is GM on Demand. 2-4 hour TTRPGs in a bunch of indie systems run by some really cool GMs, often the designers themselves. Cheap, easy to get into. I dig it a lot

Can we just hire you to GM stuff all weekend? MoleCon gogogo!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

nesbit37 posted:

Granted, I don't go to the auction much during the day but I haven't seen a child in the auction since Milwaukee.

Indiana has really cracked down on the paperwork for auctioning a child since the incident.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Red posted:

What’s a “line only” con?

One where you spend half your con waiting in line hoping to get into events because there is no ticketing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Every PAX is like this, and GenCon is the first time for me that I'm going to a different con (GenCon) that does ticketing. I'm very much looking forward to it.

Although I assume there is still a lot of sitting around in line as people want better seats at events?

Time spent in line is time not spent at the auction, and what sort of fool would I be to do that?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I will content myself otherwise as I do nearly every night, stuffing my face with every big sausage in sight.

This isn't DragonCon bro.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fellis posted:

365 days till gencon

E: actually just 360!!

Welcome to my new blog, GenCon360, wherein your receive daily tips to prepare for GenCon 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Also if you missed T.O.V.A. this year, you missed me apparently inspiring* Jim who always does the Charity Auction to ask me to be his partner next year, meaning I could easily be auctioneering for like five-six hours on Saturday next year, ensuring my untimely demise.

*This was not even a particularly good T.O.V.A. overall, considering the relative mundanity of so much of the stuff we sold, but certainly it was pretty enjoyable

PLEASE MAKE TOVA WEIRD AGAIN