Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The 7th Guest posted:

no one bought titanfall 2 so now the franchise is battle royaleing into the dumpster

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/02/01/titanfall-battle-royale-free-to-play-game-release/

well, poo poo. I loved titanfall 2 but not a fan of BRs, at least the big two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

chumbler posted:

Major issues or just totally boring?

Yes

Even the clear standout of the gameplay has been done before and better, but the tech issues in these demos do not give me faith in the final product

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I think I'd like to play FF14 again but I don't have a thumb-numberpad mouse anymore and those always felt like the only good way to have enough drat hotkeys in easy reach, modifiers included

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

play with a controller

i remember liking it for gathering and Arsing About but could never get used to it for combat

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i still think about the music in ff14 a lot even though i haven't played in like a year

music in the last ARR dungeon loving rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx3QPiTcXa4

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

from the amount we're still talking about that piece of legendary poo poo, i assumed f76 sold and is selling like gangbusters

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

How far did I get in Sleeping Dogs if my home was a houseboat, anyway

Just sorta drifted off and stopped playing right around then

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

gonna admit to cautious interest in apex legends--dunno if enough to actually download it, though

stupid ssd

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Crispy pancakes whose form factors allow for better syrup containment

waffles are way better

This is the only correct analysis (though i'm a heretic who likes peanut butter on em too)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

twitter thread's right though, it's a good thing french toast isn't on the docket, it'd just be a blowout

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

french toast: for when you want eggs and you want cinnamon toast but you're too slovenly to cook them separately

you're god drat right :cool:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm sort of stunned at how good Apex Legends is and how much I've been thinking about it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tales of Woe posted:

i think Falcom is the only dev i would buy a new game from sight unseen but they also only make 2 very specific things

Respawn's earned that for me at this point, long as it's shooty of course

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Verranicus posted:

Is APex Legends worth playing solo

okay so there's two answers to this, yes and no (bear with me i'm actually serious)

you are matchmade into squads of 3; if you try to break off from this you are at a massive disadvantage and you will be slaughtered. so no

but i have not talked to a single person i've played with and been able to ping and coordinate effectively with its smart pings and a little creativity, and had a loving blast doing so, so extremely yes

in conclusion, apex legends is a land of contrasts,

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Verranicus posted:

I've discovered that I can't hit poo poo in Apex Legends because I have the reflexes of an 80 year old man

:same: but i'm havin a fuckin ball anyway

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Me, playing breath of the wild: oh man, I can get a skeleton horse!!
Me, 3 minutes later: what do you mean I'm not allowed to register him as my permanent horse companion?! :mad:

i know right?!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

victrix posted:

Gooncrawl?

There's a thread for it, at some point the last year or so several goons forked off their own version because of development direction disagreements--the sort of thing Internet Kraken was alluding to

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Think I'm gonna try to give Hollow Knight one more chance

like #4 now

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Was never a fan of the combat, I think. Been a while

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I said come in! posted:

The big news yesterday you might have missed is that Blizzard made record breaking profits in 2018 and as a reward to their employees, laid off 800 of them.
:thermidor:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Rarity posted:

As your #1 scoopsgal I can break the news that today's Nintendo Direct will be promoting a new Pilotwings for the Switch and announcing Cooking Mama as Smash DLC

I want nothing more than I want a new Pilotwings don't toy with me like this :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Rarity posted:

100 jetpacs fly towards an island...

on the island, 100 gyrocopters, armed and ready to fly...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am looking forward to Dragon Quest Builders 2

:same: I should absolutely finish the first one

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Andrast posted:

Just play what you want, who cares about a backlog

the feeling of wanting to own up to/correct your past spending mistakes and make it all "worth" it, probably

(i know that feel. capitalism and anxiety are nasty when paired)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I mean everyone else has said the same thing about Anthem. The only people I know who are excited for it are the hardcore Destiny 2 crowd and that group is small.

i wanted it to be good but it still seems to need more time in the oven, from watching streams

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

chumbler posted:

I don't think the oven is on, so that probably won't help.

Feels an odd reversal of fortune, with Apex Legends suddenly eating everyone's lunch at the same time

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sanzuo posted:

this is a chill game

going out and finding resources has felt kinda tedious without any mapping or waypoints

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sanzuo posted:

you make your own waypoints! with beacons and tethers

overhead maps have spoiled me for positional tracking. i haven't researched beacons yet but good point there, worked well enough in subnautica

i can run more than one research center, right? dreadfully slow process, that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

apex legends is very boring and I acquit myself of it at once

movement and gun feedback are great but this battle royale poo poo is worse than baseball

ages of nothing in hopes that something will happen

take command of your team's fate when you get JM and launch immediately at as near perpendicular as possible, pick up guns, run towards the shooting, survive or die in the first minutes

(I get it if you don't like BR, just suggesting this because it improved my own fun a lot--if only because it shuts down the tedious loot and wait cycle you refer to)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I have no good sense of how to play tetris past getting one or two liners at a time so my sides get out of control and uneven

Then come the attacks and I'm 80/99 or some poo poo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

axelblaze posted:

How's everyone doing this evening? What is everyone up to?

I'm kind of annoyed that right after I got back into Overwatch, Activision/Blizzard did the whole lay offs in the face of record profits thing.

...Still playing it and man I love playing Moira but I think I'm done spending money on the game.

tryin to figure out how to keep my hands from being a cold sweaty shaky mess while playing apex legends

:420: doesn't seem to change things much

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Infinitum posted:

I'd expect to see that sort of repetitive grind nonsense in Vanilla WoW era MMO's.

Lookin forward to pickin Anthem up in 6 months for free via Humble Bundle

I really got the itch to buy in yesterday and I'm glad I resisted

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

every time i think I'm gonna play something else I get a win in apex legends and the sheer adrenaline of it just makes everything else less interesting

shameful that that's where i get my rush jollies i guess but there ya go :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Looper posted:

someday i will learn to subsist on people getting mad about chili

i'm not sure which laws of physics this would violate but i'm in

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

flying out of town tomorrow for an interview tuesday, i suspect i'll be playing lots of okami on switch

never did finish that game back in the day

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Dragon Quest Builders would be better if enemies didn't do contact damage or your weapons were longer than a millimetre or the hit boxes weren't hosed up

I kinda blahed out in the third world again recently

I want to pick that back up and actually finish it since I do like it, just weird little kludgy poo poo like you mention gets in the way

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Monkey Fracas posted:

even if you're in the US you should go to the doctor for mysterious chest pains that don't go away

it's blowing inordinate amounts of money at the doc or dying- both suck but one is obviously worse

gently caress our stupid, stupid medical care system

so I left my old job just under a month ago, right, and the COBRA bill is about $800/mo

So i figure, ok, I'll eat a psychiatrist visit on cash since that's $100 instead of $20, and see what those and my other meds cost uninsured before I decide to pony up. He gave me a printed goodrx discount card and we found out that all but one of my meds is gonna cost significantly less with that card than it ever did under my employer insurance

Basically, gently caress american medical practice

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I want to try and finish DQ Builders today but like... whoever else in here it was (sakurazuka?)... I'm on ch3 and it's dragging pretty hard, heh

idk if it's the repetitive nature of the gameplay or the poor combat or what

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It used to be that I would have devoured a game like HK repeatedly and often, like I used to Super Metroid

I'm not exactly sure what changed in the intervening years, or if it's just the relatively unguided nature of HK (relative to other current exploration platformers), but I just bounce right off HK every time I try it before I even get to aforesaid city out of sheer boredom (and I've been through most of said city before--didn't change much)

Different strokes for different folks so I'm not all that bothered, but it's definitely the first time a popular game in a genre I like has just plain not been a fit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Almost every time I hear someone bouncing off HK it seemed to stem from thinking being lost for a lot or most of the game was a bad thing. Which is fine in itself, but when that same complaint comes from people who enjoy Metroidvanias prior to HK it feels a little strange. What is it about HK is that much different other than just being so big? I never liked them enough before HK to call myself a fan of the genre, but it turned around for me with something that was built on the best ideas of everything before it and adding in Dark Souls flavor that I could go back and appreciate the pieces of inspiration on their own.

Wish I had a better answer for you on that, but I genuinely don't know myself. I just get bored, and an answer to "why" is elusive. It might be the combat but that's kind of a stretch even in my own head

(ed) It could have been the Souls flavoring itself. I didn't end up really liking a single Souls game after DeS and DaS1--only halfway through 2, and I don't even know why I bought 3 because I have like 2 hours playtime

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 21, 2019