Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

the_american_dream posted:

Anyone here have an Athletic subscription? I really miss Eno Sarris’ stuff and am not sure if he even does fantasy baseball ranks anymore

I just looked and he wrote a list of the top 175 pitchers for this season earlier this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I had my draft today, and afterwards, I tried trading with my buddy. However, after I offered Rizzo & Strausburg for his Soto & Marquez, I talked myself out of making the deal.

Anyways, here's my team. It's a 5x5 league that counts OBP instead of AVG. I also went in with no prep.

1. (10) Bryce Harper (Phi - OF)
2. (11) Jose Altuve (Hou - 2B)
3. (30) Gerrit Cole (Hou - SP)
4. (31) Anthony Rizzo (ChC - 1B)
5. (50) Trevor Bauer (Cle - SP)
6. (51) Eugenio Suárez (Cin - 3B)
7. (70) Stephen Strasburg (Was - SP)
8. (71) Blake Treinen (Oak - RP)
9. (90) Eloy Jiménez (CWS - OF)
10. (91) Willson Contreras (ChC - C)
11. (110) José Peraza (Cin - SS)
12. (111) Kirby Yates (SD - RP)
13. (130) Nomar Mazara (Tex - OF)
14. (131) Josh Hader (Mil - RP)
15. (150) Tyler Glasnow (TB - SP,RP)
16. (151) Cody Allen (LAA - RP)
17. (170) Fernando Tatis Jr. (SD - SS)
18. (171) Will Smith (SF - RP)
19. (190) Gregory Polanco (Pit - OF)
20. (191) Kyle Freeland (Col - SP)
21. (210) Mychal Givens (Bal - RP)
22. (211) Austin Meadows (TB - OF)
23. (230) Sean Newcomb (Atl - SP)

I drafted pitching higher than I usually do. I also tried to do IcePhoenix's strategy of a few strong starters mixed with strong relievers. Tried is the key word. I closed my eyes as I picked Bauer.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am pretty on Soto, too. I talked myself out of it because while Rizzo had a bit of a down year, he still could be a valuable player. Mind you, he is entering his age-29 season. It's trying to balance whether Soto is still going to continue improving and whether you think Rizzo is going to stay where he is. To me, it's a gamble, especially considering I'd be giving up Stras for Marquez. Stras has his issues, but then I scared myself out of trading for a Colorado pitcher (even though I picked up Freeland late).

The 1B position WW is dire. Braun just got dropped. Jose Martinez is the next highest ranked player.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Oooof got offered Archer and Matt carpenter for Bauer. Interesting but I think that’s a no right? 10 tm h2h points league. Won’t post the full scoring but Pitchers matter a bunch

Bauer is the best player in the deal, and I am a little nervous about Archer.

So, no from me.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Someone dropped Jon Gray, and I was wondering if he's worth picking up. I thought about drafting him, but his start to the season hasn't filled me with much hope.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I was going to come and brag about my pitching on Sunday, and then Freeland and Strasburg had to go ruin my elation.

Never think you've solved pitching.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

So, sometimes drafting a ton of closers works out. Someone in my league offered a 1B for a closer, so I threw out Freeman for Treinen, and it was accepted.

I still have Yates, Hader, Allen, Smith, and Greene.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

[quote="ROCK THE HOUSE M.D." post="494233927i
Good luck getting that Treinen for Freeman deal to go through.
[/quote]

It went through.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Someone is offering Matt Chapman as a buy-low player, which is weird because he's not even doing poorly, and the only player I could really offer is Austin Meadows. Tell me why I should/shouldn't make this offer.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

fawning deference posted:

What is the consensus on Correa? Aside from injury risks? Seems to me like he is quietly putting up an OPS around .850 and hitting more line drives and less grounders. Still K's a ton but I feel like he is a good buy-low.

He's coming off a down year, but he's doing better this year. I am just not sure if 2017 is a blip, or if he can get back to that level.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I really hope this Christian Walker dude is for real.

I am not sure how much stock to put into it, but he has the hardest hit ball rate in the league.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

Is a platoon of Christian Walker, Miguel Cabrera, and Matt Olson good enough to cover 1B in a 12 team league? It was an autodraft so the computer didn't pick one until late, and I'm currently dead last in RBI and near there in HR. I have some decent trade pieces, but no one's biting now and I'm wondering if I can just wait. It'd also be real nice if Kluber and Nola could get right soon. Thanks!

You may be playing 1B roulette the rest of the year. I like Walker, but I am not sure how he holds up. Miggy is 36 and on the decline phase of his career, so you can't expect much from him. Olson is :geno:.

I just don't think anyone has a definitive answer for you. Maybe it's just me, but I do find 1B not as deep/good as other years, so I do think other teams are feeling this.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I haven't even had much to complain about with Rizzo because I am in a OBP league. Sure, for where I drafted him, he could be doing better, but he's not really an issue.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Should I burn my #1 WW spot on Flaherty? Someone also dropped Mikolas.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

It’s a league with friends!!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Earlier in the season, I was able to trade Treinen for Freeman, which meant that I had both Freeman and Rizzo as my 1B. I tried to revisit an offseason deal, by offering Rizzo for Soto, but obviously that didn't go anywhere. I was just able to trade Rizzo for Scherzer.

I now have Strasburg, Cole, and Bauer, to go along with Scherzer, with Glasnow, Flaherty, Freeland, and a rotating cast of WW pick-ups.

I think the smart thing to do would be to try and trade one of Bauer and Stras, and hope to shore up my offense. My pitching has been the only thing keeping me in weekly match-ups.

Any thoughts? It's a typical 5x5 league, except we count OBP over AVG.

e: Not sure if Bauer/Stras for Chapman would be too much to give.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 3, 2019

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Well, you were a good waiver wire pick-up last year, Freeland, and I liked drafting you. But it’s now time to say goodbye.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

My team has been carried all year on the strength of my pitching. So, of course, the one week where my hitting starts to do something, my pitching goes to poo poo.

Fantasy baseball is fun.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

That's a pretty good buy-low on Lindor, even if I am not super high on Folty and Votto going forward.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Bregor posted:

:smith:

Also saw Altuve has hamstring tightness

Guess who has both Glasnow AND Altuve?

:smith:

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Doltos posted:

Also Eloy isn't making me hate life anymore!!

I drafted him in the top-100 in a redraft league, and he really had me doubting myself.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

In depressing news, in the most vivid dream I have had in months, I dreamt that I picked up a young Japanese player off the waiver wire who was ranked 43rd for the season.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Even though I was higher on Rizzo than most, I traded him for Scherzer. Scherzer has been good, but even I didn’t expect this out of Rizzo. His bat is sorely missed out of my line-up.

Right now I am trying to trade Stras for Soto. A deal that was originally Stras/Rizzo for Soto/Marquez in the offseason that was declined.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Doltos posted:

Caleb Smith was cut should I bet on a bounceback after his last few outings?

Depends on how deep the league is, but I am not entirely convinced after his hot start.

I am getting sick of Bauer.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Thank you for this btw

Yeah, everyone that dropped Jimenez -- thank you.

fawning deference posted:

YORDAAAAAAAAAANNNNN

Glad I was so quick with the add button.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I think they announced Scherzer’s start late. I don’t have him in my line-up because it wasn’t a green check mark when I checked this morning. Great, now I’m missing out!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Glad I held onto Keston Hiura. Not sure why he was ever sent down, other than ~reasons~

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Simpsons Reference posted:

Is he that good?

His OPS was .865 and hit 5 home runs in his 69 (lol) PAs.

He has been killing it in the minors.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I look like a genius trading Rizzo for Scherzer in early-May with the string of games Scherzer’s has had.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Chief McHeath posted:

Randomly checked and I have 5 of the top 25 overall players in my league. Plus seven others in the top-100.

Scherzer, #5, first round
JOSH BELL, #9, FA
Rendon, #14, fourth round
Hader, #16, ninth round
Muncy, #24, eleventh round

With an even distribution in a 12 teamer, you'd have an average of 8.3 top-100 players. Pretty pleased with that.

I looked and I have 4 of the top-25 (Yates just missed out at #27), and 8 more in the top-100. Only 3 of these players are hitters.

Hey Suarez waking up is a pretty nice boost.

I was considering trying to find his replacement, but these past 3 games have made me like him again.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Simpsons Reference posted:

Adjusting to what? .290 and 12 home runs was quite alright.

March/April/May: .354/.451/.673 with 12 home runs and 35 RBIs
June/July: .223/.299/.315 with 0 home runs and 7 RBIs (until the last two games)

The only reason I didn't drop him was because of his strong start.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Doltos posted:

I think it's weird that I never deal with one injury at a time, it's always like 4-5 guys that go down simultaneously.

Yeah, I just had Scherzer, Contreras, and Jimenez go down within a week. They join Glasnow, who has been keeping the IR spot warm for some time.

Luckily, my league moved to having 3 IR spots a few years ago.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I dropped Flaherty, but saw him as a possible streaming option today. Then I saw Houston and passed. I am not going to that well again, especially against Houston.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I grabbed him as a flyer.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Someone dropped Marquez in my league, a pitcher I really wanted at the draft, and I should be fine as long as I start him on the road, correct?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

A story as old as time...

I am playing a team that has been inactive all season. I am winning 7-3, and my hitters have combined for a OBP of .403, so far. Any other week, this would be an automatic win. However, her team is hitting .433. I have run up against >.500 hitters of Turner, Bregman, Abreu, and Castellanos.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

On April 17th, I traded Blake Treinen for Freddie Freeman. I think this is the best trade I have ever made.

At the time of the deal, Treinen was at a 0.79 ERA. Since, he's posted a 6.05 ERA.

Freeman had a .323/.443/.462, and has put up .309/.398/.595 since.

I think the guy only did the deal because Goldschmidt was doing well in the first few weeks. He added Alonso off of waivers in the preseason, too, so he's not hurting. But man oh man.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 16, 2019

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Bauer has been the most frustrating pitcher I have owned, I think. There never seems to be any middle ground.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

When can I drop Bauer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

In the last 16 weeks, I’ve lost only once.

Excited to see how my team loses badly in the playoffs.