Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I started reading Kenkyo Kenjitsu and it's quite good! It makes me nostalgic for reading the Princess Diaries back in high school. I wasn't super gripped with it until fifty or sixty chapters in, but I think it adds a lot of depth to the high school stuff to see Reika and her friends grow up together.

When's the best natural stopping point for reading it? I saw it's on hiatus, and I don't want to be left hanging on a cliffhanger, but it's not exactly like it's a series with a ton of cliffhangers to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Sindai posted:

Yeah I think it's fine to just read up to the most recent chapter.

I'm on it. Looking forward to Reika giving more people unfortunate nicknames.

e: 200 chapters in I still have no idea what Fellow Stalking Horse's name is and he shows up like every chapter

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I think the issue with Tanya is less that she has too many negative traits and more that she has no positive ones. I read the first dozen chapters of the manga and never felt any reason to root for her. The war setting is exceedingly well done, and the central joke is pretty good too (that a cold, calculating corporate climber would do just as well in a military as in business). But I never got the sense the protagonist was going to grow or learn anything.

Maybe if it were more of a dark comedy it would work better, like Thank You For Smoking meets Catch 22. But most of the battle scenes are played straight.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

linall posted:

I agree. I was just just responding to nrook's post where they said it was hard to root for Tanya. I mean, I think the show sometimes gets lost in the weeds ( haven't read the source material so I can't say if the light novels have the same problem ), but to my mind the draw of the story is definitely watching her self-destruct.

I think we might violently agree on this one. The parts of the story on the back line are fun because they're mostly comedy, and you don't need to empathize with Tanya to laugh at her misfortunes. But since the battles are played straight and don't have a sympathetic protagonist, I found it tough to care about how they would turn out.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Funnily enough if you search "Sword Dad" on mangadex it actually shows up. Thanks, taggers.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

The Only Sense Online author watches games on Twitch to get ideas to steal. Some of them have really obvious pedigrees— in one part, enemies which accidentally finish off other enemies turn into stronger versions of themselves, which is right out of Mysterious Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer. I remember this because they said they were fascinated by Crypt of the Necrodancer and wanted to put it in, but couldn't figure out a way for a dance game to be compelling in a novel at all.

e: I realize I look like a douche for putting game titles in italics but gently caress it, I like the way it looks

nrook fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 4, 2019

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Or of course, a lot of these folks are amateur writers, right? Combine that with a serial format, and it’s easy to imagine somebody writing an isekai story only to realize a few chapters in that they don’t actually care about the fish-out-of-water elements.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

“On a gut level, I hate Nazis. It wouldn't do to write a story that shows Nazis doing cool things.”

Good author.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Sindai posted:

Spider seems tricky since a version from late in the series would be a huge spoiler from way beyond where the manga and anime will be by then and early in the series she can't talk and has no supporting characters.

(LN Volume 3) In response to exigent circumstances, Earth Dragon Araba is forced to learn the skills "Deadpan Humor", "Straight Man" and "Bad Pun"

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Duke’s Daughter also has the issue that its protagonist seems to have been perfect even before the series starts, so the premise doesn’t really make much sense.

I dropped it relatively quickly, but to be honest none of this discussion is really why. It’s just hard to get into a story like this unless it has a main character I like reading about, and Iris was too boring for me to care about. Like, the plot of the spider isekai is really dumb and the action is mostly mediocre, but Kumoko has a funny internal voice that makes it a joy to read anyway. “Kenkyo, kenjitsu” is great for the same reason; it took a long time for me to become invested in the other characters, but Reika’s internal voice is compelling basically immediately.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Katreus posted:

The Monster Duchess and the Contract Princess is adorable. The contract princess is cute, and the Duchess is very cool (also her fashion sense is amazing) as is her entire family. The whole found family theme is very heartwarming.

Pro recommendation, enjoying this one so far. It’s mostly serious but the little side jokes are funny: I laughed at loud at the chef appreciating being complimented. I feel obliged to point out it has nothing to do with isekai though.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I am fairly confident that Bakarina is unlikely to kill off any of the main characters

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I've read both the spider WN and LN and I can pretty confidently say that if you don't like one you aren't going to like the other either. The LN is much better paced and the high-level storyline is improved as well, but at the end of the day it's a lot of "spider goes around in RPG dungeon" in both of them, so if you don't like the spider and you don't like the dungeon there's no point to reading them.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Tanya the Evil comes to mind immediately when talking about isekai series that aren't in a medieval fantasy land, too. The titular Tanya joins the military in a WW1-with-magic setting and fights for the Germans.

I bounced off it but it's pretty popular. No Nazis too, so don't worry about that.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

The isekai truck claims another; when will it be stopped!?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Sounds like Hans to me. A retired knight watches over a village, only for "Japanese" people with strange abilities to start showing up. It's OK.

e: get good at posting, nub

nrook fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 11, 2019

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Of all the fantasy isekai played relatively straight, Wrong Way is probably my favorite. The main character picks up connections and a place in the world really quickly, so it doesn’t take long for it to become a pretty straightforward fantasy story with good character building. It’s hard not to like Rose.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Is the Paladin of the End novel any good?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Kegslayer posted:

Yes and no.

The first two novels are good although it's not really isekai. The third one feels like the author really wanted to do some world building and really liked D&D or watched a bunch of LOTR/Hobbit films and the last one is a collection of short stories that feel like the author starting writing but didn't know where to go next.

The author supposedly has writer's block since 2017 but with the manga coming out maybe he'll write some more.

Okay, this is good to know, thanks. It's funny that the LN isn't really isekai either. I had figured that was just dropped in the manga because the author had gotten people to like their fantasy story on the merits and didn't feel obligated to follow the isekai hook anymore. But I suppose it was always perfunctory.

I may check it out.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Man Ascendance of a Bookworm is so loving good

Looking forward to watching the anime once the season is over since I’m too cheap to maintain a Crunchyroll sub

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I praise bookworm a lot, both the LN and the manga, but to be honest it wasn’t until seventeen chapters in that I found myself caring about Myne or anybody else in the story. I think the manga is (unusually) better than the novel at showing the internal emotional states of characters, so the big moments generally hit harder.

So, look forward to that!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

The wrong way to read scanlation websites

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

Read a chapter of something good instead: Retired Heroes updated

I feel like this is a little unfair, given that I can’t think of a single isekai manga as good as Retired Heroes. Maybe Bakarina.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

There are definitely isekai stories that are just "the creator clearly wanted to write a fantasy story and threw in a protagonist from another world." Faraway Paladin comes to mind even though I haven't read the novel so maybe it's more present there. And of course, there's the background element that lots of successful LNs come from amateur writers who started on WNs and found it easier to write a hero like themselves.

But even when that isn't the case, it's natural that the hook fades into the background, since it's just an origin story. The hero is naturally going to make friends and meet people in the actual setting of the story, and readers doesn't care about their original family who got like two seconds of development. Like, Ascendance of a Bookworm takes the premise way more seriously than most of the other stuff I've read; Myne finds it hard to care about her "friends" and "family", characters are shocked and suspicious when she knows things she shouldn't, and so on. But by necessity by the end of the first book she belongs in the new world, not the old one.

I think that's why the series where the isekai element works best are the comedies. Bakarina is a bunch of jokes about how Katarina takes the premise of the setting to ludicrous conclusions. Or like, the joke of Tanya the Evil is that everyone thinks Tanya is a bloodthirsty warrior but she's actually a corporate climber sent to war. It's a premise for light stories, not dark ones.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Clarste posted:

A lot of these stories also have the protagonist go "oh, I don't mind being disowned/exiled because I don't care about being nobility, I'll just go relax in the countryside" as if that's super easy.

What’s funny is that this probably comes from Bakarina, where it works because it sits alongside the protagonist’s other contingency plans, such as throwing toy snakes at her fiancé

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I feel like a terrible person saying this, but while Contract Princess is good more terrible things have to happen to our protagonist. She's had an easy ride for too long. The people demand more drama.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I’m watching the anime now, and I had forgotten just how loving dark Ascendance of a Bookworm gets around when Myne is making paper.

”It’s nothing to worry about, if I get disowned and cast out I can always just commit suicide.” The anime seems a bit cheerier than the books but it isn’t really shying away from this.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Wait there’s a fourth book in bookworm part 2? drat. I figured I just had to hold off until book 3 got translated.

At this rate the anime could catch up!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Nah, Bookworm has a ton more content. If it gets fully adapted (doubtful), it will take a long time just for the show to catch up.

I just mean catch up to the official English translation. I know there are like 20 volumes of the light novels already. In hindsight I wrote in a confusing way.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Huzzah! posted:

new Two Saints
Foreign royalty being rude? why, I never!

drat, when I saw the title I was hoping this was a Saint Young Men isekai fan comic

e: this is also good though

nrook fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 27, 2020

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

New Bookworm.

It's a bit of a low bar, but I really appreciate that Myne comes off as thoughtless and cruel sometimes. It makes her feel more real as a character.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

The official translation of Ascendance of a Bookworm (Book 2, Vol 3) was just released today. Benno keeps showing up so I'm happy with it so far.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

This was the post that started the whole discussion:

and it was met by a full-throated defense that came across as trying to negate their criticism or dismiss it as wrong.

I’m sorry some posts in a different thread were bad, I guess?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

To be honest I haven’t kept up on the anime but it generally had a much cheerier tone in comparison to either the original work or the manga adaptation. It sounds like that bit it in the rear end once the story got darker.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

everythingWasBees posted:

in addition to for slavery reasons I'm going to remove this series from this thread for being boring as poo poo and being weird about having children seducing priests but primarily being boring as poo poo

everybody was determined to take this as a value judgment so I'm making a value judgment! The council of elders is backing me my word is law

First they came for the incel hero,

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

there should be an isekai starring the kenkyo author, explaining their mysterious disappearance

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Isekai isn't a real genre so it's no surprise a lot of it won't appeal to people based on their tastes. If you hate gore or a cringey protagonist you won't like re: zero, if you don't like giant rpg stat blocks the spider isekai will be boring, if you don't care about fluffy comedy you won't like bakarina, if you can't read you won't like bookworm etc

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Wow, “beware the villainess” is in fact extremely good. I don’t read many manhwa with this infinite scroll format (I should catch up on monster duchess…) but I feel like it’s greatest strength is goofy closeups of people with funny expressions. And there are a lot of those in this.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

At this point it's just one more trope to copy just because everyone else has it, like having a magical pet.

Yeah, I think it's this. You see a lot of the same tropes in these stories because they're so derivative. I think the fact that they're often written by amateur creators has an impact here too; it's not really that much different from fanfiction, really. Keith (From Bakarina) seems to show up in at least half of the otome isekai stories, but unfortunately some writers were influenced by Shield Hero instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

thanks, japanese fans of villainess isekai manga, for not also being fans of racism