Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Gotta hand it to Kubrat Pulev, that was a pretty entertaining display

I was watching it with the sound off. Can you fill me in on what happened at the end of the fight? We were expecting Pulev to get DQed for the punch to the back of the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nandrolone from wild boar is the dumbest loving excuse, managing to be even worse than Frank Mir's turinabol from wild kangaroo. At least turinabol is oral, so you could see it being an a wild animal somehow, through a ridiculously dumb series of events which would never happen. Nandrolone is injected, so good loving luck. Is someone running around giving injections of expensive steroids to random wild pigs? And even then, it's unlikely that it would survive his digestion etc etc.

The only PED I've heard of getting into someone's system verifiably through meat is clenbuterol, which gets used in Chinese and Mexican agriculture.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

12th round had some good drama

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This certainly seems like a stupid games/stupid prizes situation. What a dummy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

he played the stupid game of driving erratically in a high speed death machine and and won the stupid prize of walking away more or less completely unscathed with insurance taking the hit?

Well the stupid prize of getting in an accident which by all rights should have killed him. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It will be poetic if Wilder gets beaten up tonight after he, Fury, and Joshua all avoided making the big fight happen. Joshua gets KOed, Fury gets his face turned into hamburger by a nobody... Wilder deserves some comeuppance.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Geez Wilder's record is getting pretty impressive numerically speaking even if he did crush some cans along the way.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

thehappyprince posted:

i have it 4-0 ortiz with one even so far

Me too.

This is some monkeys paw poo poo. I'm enjoying it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

If you guys could post updates so I know what’s going on, I can’t watch where I am and Twitter is garbage for getting live updates in order

We're in 6 right now and for pretty much the entire fight Ortiz has methodically outboxed Wilder, nad Wilder has hardly thrown any punches.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jesus christ. That was cool but I was really hoping that Wilder would sit there and lose his belt while not throwing punches back.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Willie: Wilder put Ortiz down for the count with basically the first punch he landed in the fight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jiro posted:

Jesus Christ that's the kind of punch/hit you only see in loving Hajime no Ippo. :stonk:

Like I don't get it, Ortiz was already turning his head throwing out that blind punch and flinching like he already saw it coming.

Well Ortiz had been stopping the right hand repeatedly with that left elbow which you see coming up just before the punch lands - I noticed it because it was an odd block. He wasn't so much earmuffing the punch as stopping it with a frame. He just didn't get it up in time for whatever reason and that's the fight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Norton the First posted:

I don't think that's fair to Wilder. Getting there first is very much part of the game, it's not reasonable to say that for whatever reason Ortiz got there second.

Tyson Fury is crafty as gently caress and he still got brain damage from Wilder. He's awkward and inelegant, but he knows how to box, specifically to his strengths.

"Whatever reason" can include a thing that Wilder did to set it up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

hexwren posted:

the thing that bothers me today is that announcers have inverted the grammatical use of the phrase "by way of"

by way of does not mean "where they originally started," that's what the other city is for

stanislav couchfucker is not from las vegas by way of budapest, he's from budapest by way of las vegas

This bugs me too

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like Tyson Fury because he's a weirdo who looks something like Popeye when he boxes and he sings afterwards. He does not exist other than in the ring.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This is a title eliminator? Holy poo poo they're basically fighting over who gets to take a life-changing beating.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Good that's over. Time to make a plat of nachos

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

is this an HOF thing? I came back when they were announcing Holyfield.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

But Wilder doesn't remind me of Popeye

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

These walkouts took so long that my nachos are gone t_t

Next time I'll melt the cheese when the second walkout starts

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I didn't like how Wilder was moving in that last round after Fury landed that first big left. He was starting to get that scary wobble and weave.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Not sure if any of you boxing dudes caught any of yesterday's UFC too but as a whole we had two really really good headliners in the larger non-work Ringsports Sphere.

What has begun to impress me about Fury is the breadth of his game. He seems to be able to fight (or at least manage the fight) at a championship level at really any range, and he's really good at making the fight into the fight he needs it to be, which is loving weird.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

punk rebel ecks posted:

A lot of people aren't excited for Wilder vs Fury 3.

No poo poo. A draw followed by a brutal stoppage is decisive. We're one fight away from having a unified champ and they're stuck in a contractual circle jerk.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

When I heard that he had fired his longtime trainer because he had thrown in the towel I knew that it was going to get worse for him before it got better. poo poo, you could see that look on his trainer's face when he threw the towel: he knew what was going to follow.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

heavy light heavyweight

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

poo poo I'd box people who don't know how to box for $100/round happily. And then I'd grapple people who don't know how to grapple.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mekchu posted:

anyone willing to take a 6er today to spread an important message?

UP YOURS MOD

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The SituAsian posted:

https://twitter.com/ManoukAkopyan/status/1342950336986718208

Looks like Canelo will get his mandatory out of the way first. Good shout on a short turnaround I suppose

Why do they need a stadium

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I watched it on mute while the also bad UFC card was on another screen and I still felt ripped off.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

on the other hand he looks like an old timey cartoon character when he boxes so it balances out

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The SituAsian posted:

SPARING NO EXPENSE

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1375146851389878285?s=19

Edit: Also Antonio Tarver was literally too old to be licenses in Georgia so now Frank Mir will be boxing Steve Cunningham

oh poo poo Frank Mir is super definitely going to die now. That age advantage was all he had going for him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It won't be any fighter under current UFC contract. More likely someone like Benson Henderson, though I'd wager that the rumour would say "Champion" if it were him.

Roger Huerta?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If the commission sees that article and pulls the plug on the fight that will be the funniest thing in combat sports this year, hands down.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Bad luck for Saunders. That was a close, competitive fight (I had it 77-75 Canelo), and Saunders looked to be coming on until he got caught with that shot. Canelo has developed almost freakish power at this point in his career though. That really is a differentiator for him now. He can use it to bully opponents and break them down, or just end the fight with a single punch. That, combined with his elite technical skill, make him very hard to beat.

Bring on Canelo/Plant. Plant is a similar fighter to Saunders, and I think Plant can use this fight as a blueprint for his own success. I don't expect him to win, but he's a very live dog.

Saunders gave a good accounting of himself. He didn't quit; broken orbital bones are serious injuries that end fights. Hopefully he can recover, I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Caleb Plant himself, or David Benavidez, or even a rematch with Chris Eubank Jr.

Yeah I had it about the same. IDK what the gently caress fight the commentary team was watching where they had BJS ahead. It seems like if a round went 60/40 in favour of Canelo they were like "wow BJS looks loving amazing!!!" and gave him the round on the cards as if "not dying when Canelo clobbers him" is a scoring criteria.

This is actually one of the (many) reasons that boxing judging is hosed up and so many decisions seem brutal - you have these commentary teams putting up lovely score cards and then the judges come up with something different and the audience who relies on those broadcast scorecards gets upset.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

^^^ wolf tickets

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Didn't Floyd indirectly acknowledge after the Canelo fight that he fought Canelo then because he saw him as a developing generational talent, wanted to fight him before his prime, and be the one L on Canelo's record?

Like, not explicitly, but in a roundabout way through his answers to other questions, I mean. Am I misremembering something

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Paul brothers' boxing schtick is less annoying if you think of them as promoters who get into the ring. They're still garbage people ofc

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

George Kansas posted:

Yeah, the Paul brothers suck but them getting a bunch of kids to look at boxing and boxers is like, objectively a good thing if you like boxing. And seeing Floyd yell that he wants to kill Jake Paul also rocks.

MMA has done a lot of this kind of poo poo and it doesn't actually do much to help the sport as a whole. A few select people get very rich and you get lots of people who only show up for the e.g. Brock Lesnar fight and spouting bad/uninformed opinions everywhere, and who very obviously only tune in for the celebrity fight. Some MMA posters were encountering/reporting that they knew people who thought that Brock Lesnar was still the UFC champion up to 5 years afte he had retired.

Like, think about the bad takes you heard before and after Mayweather-McGregor, but a million times dumber - that's the road we're probably on unless these Paul fight cards start spotlighting more proper boxers and fewer youtube beefs. In fact, this is just turning into a high fidelity version of StreetBeefs.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Jean Pascal has now failed tests for 4 different drugs: epitrenbolone, drostanolone, and drostanolone metabolite A, and now EPO. He claimed that he was not aware of taking any of the drugs and blamed it on one of his coaches, but EPO needs to be administered via syringe, so obviously Pascal knew what was up.

Pascal's 38 years old, will be 39 years old later this year. Have to imagine this is the end of the road for his career.

That was his super vitamin shot all organic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Triller is Affliction 2021