Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

balancedbias posted:

So the opposite of LLCoolJD's avatar happened last night.

Berlanga tried to bite Angulo's ear and shoulder. I'm just glad it was a failed attempt :wtf:

from what I read he was complaining that angulo was throwing elbows and trying to cut him but it was too late for me to watch.

I watched the undercard for the first couple of hours and the refs there were being pretty bad. particularly I remember one bout where the guy got tko'd by the doctor because it was round 2 and the ref was happy to just watch him get pummeled until he was passing out into the ropes. they walked that fighter out to the medical center quickly after that.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X8sK5p9es it was this one Vargas vs Linger

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Rags to Liches posted:

I watched that fight too and it's incredible how boxing still allows that sort of incompetence.

I'm even fine with deaths in dangerous sports it happens but even half in the bag watching that when the ref let him go after how he was bouncing after that drop was obviously too far.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

Great fight between Pulev and Chisora just now. I had Pulev winning but wouldn't be surprised if the judges go the other way.

he had some strong rounds near the end but spent the first few rounds just clinching and was bleeding the rest of the fight so I never really saw it as his. maybe in a different venue the scores wouldn't have been so obviously drumming up drama

like he didn't even manage a knockdown on chisora and really only staggered him once I definitely didn't see the judges going any other way even though clearly chisora felt the same way as you by the end.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

That was a fight where everyone came out a winner imo

oh for sure my takeaway on pulev was a lot of heart and he definitely started out wanting to take it to later rounds and the plan worked

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

ccubed posted:

I missed the meltdown. Can someone provide a vid if one shows up?
https://twitter.com/THERealBoomgirl/status/1561130297487417352

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/ManghamC7_/status/1561134321326596098

ed: espn talking about it between rounds for whatever fights they're doing

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 21, 2022

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

makhmudov vs takam was a fun watch for canadian friday night fights I doubt I'm going to be surprised at the winner though

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

haney/kambosos is getting brutal

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Dubois was essentially exposed as “not elite”. Not sure who he fights next, but his ceiling is quite a bit lower than expected. Hard to favour him over really anyone in the top 10.

yeah his legs went out from under him immediately and even when he went for the beatdown he looked incredible unsteady just throwing

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Jose posted:

the state of british referees letting that continue

https://twitter.com/ben_damon/status/1616938206842474496

this wasn't anywhere near as bad as the parker vs massey ref letting that one go to the bell. massey spent half the fight charging into clinches and got a forehead goose egg and bleeding eye in the last round for his trouble. this ref cut off the first fight early although probably reasonably so I can see why they didn't end this one before the fourth.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

the serrano card last night was a lot of fun to watch. richardson hitchens control of the fight was something else especially when his opponent started swinging wild. both of the main event bouts were worth watching even though I began to wonder if the doctors had money on the fights going the distance

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Jump King posted:

Think you’ve got it mixed up. Fury asked for 70-30, Usyk agreed, Fury canceled for rematch clause related reasons

the rematch clause related reasons was usyk wanting 70-30 to go back to england if fury lost

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 24, 2023

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Torquemada posted:

I'm just happy almost zero people are mustering interest AJ fighting tomorrow.

espn wrote two whole stories about how he improved his conditioning and got bigger. I'm just glad it's not in saudi so maybe the undercards good

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

zhang just started up fast enough to get the stoppage. don't know if joyce was just off or too slow for the bigger man's punches this time.

does zhang get usyk or what the hell does an interim belt mean whichever question makes more sense?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I didn't see it but I heard Zhang's previous loss was unfortunate too? Lol at Joyce though.

whoever said that didn't watch it or is being paid. I like the big guy and he put in some good work but the back half of that fight he was mostly hugging and iirc at the final 10 second buzzer he just ran away from his opponent. he gassed hard there and I doubt this fight changes anyone's mind on his conditioning

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

that three years probation is absolutely going to keep him in trouble

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

'after getting hit' is fine. after hitting a guy, seeing it do nothing and just going 'done' is a little different lol

golata doing it against tyson is still the usual callback

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

what the hell was that big baby co-main

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

at his age it would be weird for him to have more than a few more but hell I'm down for watching him take on hrgovic, zhang, wilder, or aj while fury and usyk are keeping each other busy

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

watching the formula one fight

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Rags to Liches posted:

Murdock’s showing a lot of toughness against Mbilli right now

every mbilli fight I've seen has been exactly the same a slow constant slaughter so I hope he gets a crack at canelo

now to see what callum smith still has in the tank

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Jump King posted:

William Zepeda is a mean motherfucker

just a machine for all four rounds I thought he was going to gas before the end of the second

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

A Passing Feeling posted:

Can someone explain to me what the situation with Ryan Garcia is? I've seen clips of him recently looking coked out of his mind, slurring, and acting generally weird.

Is he just doing drugs and losing it, or is there something else going on? I find it hard to believe this dude is about to fight Devin Haney.

unless I've mixed up interviews he's the guy who bounced from golden boy because the gym was too hollywood and he needed to get back to his roots and well the interviews pretty much explain themselves. I liked him as a fighter but he's visibly going off the deep end and seems drugged so probably the case of too many drugs

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

ah, too few drugs

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

giving up an extra 600k and any chance at the belt just to keep the fight going seems like a worse deal than slicing a few pounds off in a day

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

I don't know where this is going but lol the 7th

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

I was expecting it to be way more boring so I thought it went great. canelo rarely gets serious so early these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

yeah I've got no sympathy for maloney, I thought guevara did enough for the win and graciously offered maloney the rematch just for maloney to throw a fit and keep going afterwards with that backstage interview