Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zyla posted:

my hot take is that depression is the natural state of humans, and the non-depressed are the abberations.

I would say that only a very small minority of people are actually clinically non-depressed and the rest are pretending they are

being a leftist in america means you are mentally ill and also objectively correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
ive had multiple therapists/LMSWs who were all cool with weed tho

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
being in a psych ward fuckin rules. i stayed once for 4 weeks and have lots of good things to say. dont be afraid of it if you need to go.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grondoth posted:

i'm gonna be straight with you cspam, I don't think it's psychologically healthy to constantly consume information about and read the words of people you hate

I also don't think it's good to be convinced you're in the bad timeline or the hell world or actual hell, I just don't think that's a way to keep yourself sane

reading cspam is unironically keeping me grounded and sane, as a reminder that i'm not a raving lunatic who thinks the world is ending and we are all gonna die. goons................................thank you

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
the ward i was in was part of a university hospital, it had a gym, menus for every meal (+plus after hours cold meals) several tv rooms, lots of groups during the day to stay busy, and everyone is extremely nice and helpful. if you need a pen or a plastic knife, they are happy to help

e: i had no insurance. its probably only a matter of location at that point.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
as someone with highly med-resistant depression (all the drugs i tried rarely gave me even the bad side effects) DBT is indeed a godsend. it was a weekly class spanning two years, just hammering away at that workbook twice over. putting the work in sucked rear end but after like 18 mo. my brain just started to work better, despite my pessimism.

i am a firm believer that most people in general need dbt therapy

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
DBT really is just like a kind of brainwashing. like you'll do it for a year and you will still feel like poo poo and wonder what the hell this is all for, and then one day it will just click and suddenly you are just doing the skills instead of working up the strength to make a conscious effort. or worse, like winding up back up in a hospital.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
it still sucks when you know all this [Frog Act is right] but you are still so bombarded with lovely messaging from the people you know IRL not to mention the media that its impossible to not feel ashamed anyways.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
its not even a matter of self-doubt or self-loathing, but just that these attitudes still exist and for no other reason than to shame you.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
welp im going to be homeless or i will have to literally kill myself just so my daughter has a place to live with my mom (a vile narcissist will not let me live with her because i have depression and she resents me for it) going so far as to tell me, in the throes of my ideation, that if i died my daughter would "get over it". she's 4 and her mom already passed this past January.

my years of DBT and dealing with depression, plus whatever parental urges i have, can assure you gentle goons that im not in a literal "call the hotline" crisis mode right now, so dont worry. BUT at times this almost feels worse, because as my options are so limited i feel like my only ones are a) Die, let my mom raise my daughter in a house at least, or b) Travel somewhere and show up at a homeless shelter and hope that social services/The State can guide us to a somewhat functional life.

how is one to deal with that, when everyone in my life frames it as: suicide is the selfless rational act, and being there for my daughter is the selfish emotional one.

tldr both my parents want me to kill myself so i dont take their granddaughter away to another state

e: oh yeah, my folks are literally my only support network LMAO

A Big Fuckin Hornet has issued a correction as of 01:59 on Aug 13, 2019

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flavius Aetass posted:

jesus christ

your mom loving sucks. do whatever you can to get a home for yourself and your daughter.

the three of us actually just moved into a new house at the end of this year (i didnt always live with her or anything, but being a single parent sucks rear end so i welcome the help), but after we had a fight, me calling out her years of passive aggressive abuse, the kiddo and i went to stay with my dad 1k miles away in NC, to give us some space. it was supposed to be a few weeks but then she said no, you're not coming back. nearly all of our stuff is still up north. this was 2 months now.

my dad who is another stupider kind of rear end in a top hat who refuses to help unless it means staying with him in a depressing camper at one of those retiree/vacation rv parks surrounded by chuds. its extremely bad for my mental health, no resources, no schools. its not a place we can stay. im way too poor to just move and rent an apartment somewhere, even a train ticket out of this place is hard to do.

they are pretty much backing me into a corner where my only options for my kid to have a "normal" life means i have to die, and they seem mostly fine with that.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flavius Aetass posted:

you're in a very bad place right now, buddy. it sounds like you're doing some catastrophic thinking about a temporary situation, so i think you need to find a way to pull up and come up with a long-term plan.

one thing for sure, your daughter needs you, not whatever your idea of a normal life that your depressed brain is thinking right now

"normal" just in the sense of relative stability. but yeah, thats whats keeping me going. i am a very good parent as anyone who knows my kid would attest to.

but i dunno, the actual situation really does feel catastrophic. i even left my (lovely lowpaying) job to be a full time parent what with the cost of daycare and with assurances from my family of material support. but that only extended far enough to enduring the kind of emotional abuse she'd lay on me.

my rational brain is trying to come up with a plan but that mostly just involves finding a family shelter in an affordable city, with decent social services and starting from scratch. i have no one to help me at any step of the way though so it does feel insurmountable atm. its a bad place indeed but at least i can vent on the internet about it with compassionate souls :unsmith:

e: and thanks for the offer i might take you up on that sometime

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Failson posted:

A Big Fuckin Hornet - You've got a plan. Head to someplace else with better services and find some support.

You've got an internet connection, that at least opens doors.

Can you collect any kind of income now? Unemployment? GoFundme?

Looked into customer-service work-from-home type jobs? That could potentially be enough to get you a first+last+deposit wherever you're heading, and keep the job when you get there, and you're working from home, so you wouldn't need to worry about paying for daycare.

thanks, this post helped actually. daycare wont actually be an issue since she'll be going to school soon and i can just try to find another lovely job. im just trying to scramble out of this insane hole i feel i cant get out of and i think im mostly terrified of having to completely start a new life from nothing.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
anyone i can pm right now?

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
update: my dad is keeping us hostage because he thinks if we left and went to a shelter the state would take my daughter away (???). he has hardcore boomer brain and thinks that being employed and having a mortgage is the number one factor in being a Good Dad. its gotten to the point where i wish my parents are dead so i can finally be free of them.

i wasnt being hyperbolic when i said they are trying to get me to kill myself but i'd really rather not do that.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
naw i know, i just need a void to holler into and cspam has always been there for me

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
im so desperate im thinking of doing Failsons gofundme idea but oh lol i dont even have a bank account anymore.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Failson posted:

Anyone heard from A Big Fuckin Hornet lately?

Ha my first unread post after getting out of the hospital. poo poo is rough. Currently hitchhiking from Charlotte to SE Michigan with relatively little money. Any bored goons in the Winston Salem area feel like a road trip lol. Things are desperate enough that I'm only half joking.

No idea what I'm going to do when I get there anyways, convince my mom to let me stay with her in Detroit I guess. Being a homeless transient sucks rear end lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Failson posted:

Please be as safe as you can!

Was it Plinky that started the goonfood fund? Might hit him up?

I have no way of even getting it. My new plan is just to beg enough for a greyhound ticket but I'm still like 60 bucks short.