Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's how all radicals are made, maybe. I hope you can find some peace and joy, but poo poo is bad so you're not wrong to feel that way, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Chuka Umana posted:

I really hope there isn't anything today that we'll look back on and think wtf were we doing?

Almost certainly there is. The harmful things we're doing is just one aspect of this, but I wonder about what sort of poo poo we're just taking for granted that future generations will look back at in horror (if we survive that long). For example, it's not that long ago that it was just normal for everyone to walk around in constant agony as their teeth rotted out of their mouths. Attempts to deal with the lack of dental hygiene then made things worse instead of better, with people using acids and abrasives to strip the enamel of their teeth, and crudely operating on themselves without anesthetic.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I have a relative who's a therapist and they used to tell me and their children incredibly personal and embarrassing stories about their patients. When I challenged them on this, they said "Oh, but I'm not telling you their names!" I never quite felt the same around mental health professionals after that.

So, yeah, finding someone with whom you can feel vulnerable and open is a much more difficult task for some people.

You don't need a binary "psychs good vs. psychs bad" mentality. I've had really good shrinks and I've had shrinks that other professionals laugh at behind their back. Just like anyone else, some therapists are good at their jobs and some aren't. Or maybe there are therapists that you, personally, have difficulty connecting to for whatever reason.

Edit: the point is, if you are going in for therapy and don't feel like it's helping, try a new therapist.

I have family who work in the field and for sure they'll tell a funny story if they have one, but it's stuff like "a patient used a funny phrase today to refer to the belief that Covid was caused by Chinese people eating bats haha" and not "oh this person was brutalized by their parents which causes them to act out like this haha". As long as they protect the identity of their patients I'm fine with their job not just being an endless parade of human suffering.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Why do you want to reach out? How do you expect you will react to a positive or negative response? Do you have any reason to believe it might affect her negatively? If there's no red flags then I guess it can't hurt to ask, but there's no guarantee you'll be heard out.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Zil posted:

Anxiety is such a gently caress.

Signed up for a d&d group and now I am freaking out about going. I have never created a character before and have no idea what I am doing. While every other group member was able to just have one ready to go. My brain just does not have the ability to come up with fictional backstories.

It shouldn't be this hard to do such a simple task.

You'll be fine; making a character at the table where you can get some help is a time honored tradition.
Don't sweat the backstory stuff, it's not strictly necessary, and often it's both easier and more fun to go with the flow and let stuff develop during the game.
If you feel strongly about your character needing some motivation of their own and not simply being an avatar for you, the player, then just pick a body part (heart, stomach etc) and have your character follow wherever it leads them. It's maybe a bit reductive, but it helps if you're getting stuck deciding what to do.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

blatman posted:

hello mental health thread, I have discovered that one of my meds was transforming me into a ball of white-hot unyielding rage

I discovered this by trying to figure out why the heck I was getting angrier and angrier every day for months then digging into side effects for the meds i'm taking, followed by cold-turkey discontinuation of the one with big red "this can cause severe agitation" flags without talking to my psychiatrist

it's been a couple of weeks now and i've calmed down considerably, but how do I tell him that I did this without being fired as a patient? I have an appointment in like a month but I feel like I should probably give him a call sooner

They would like for you to talk with them before you stop taking your meds, but having to deal with people who do so without talking with them is incredibly routine. I very much doubt you'll be "fired", but the sooner you talk to your therapist the better, for both you and them.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

AceOfFlames posted:

I almost at the first month mark of a new job and I have done nothing productive. I have been caught in endless meetings, bureaucratic stuff with living in a new country, finding a place to rent (even though I deliberately came two weeks early to deal with all that which ended up getting delayed), stuff that doesn't build, dealing with a completely new toolset, people unavailable but mostly time that just VANISHES and my usual procrastination. Another person who joined with me has don a crap load of things and I am still stuck on my first task. I dread the next one on one (I have one every two weeks) and I am afraid I will be kicked out during probation.

I feel like I took on a job way outside my competency due to pressure from my family to move closer to my sibling. I just tore away the little life I had and spent a shitload of money for nothing to get stuck in a completely new country which is utterly alien to me. Aaaaahhhh.

They've invested a lot in hiring you, even if they could easily get rid of you they're not very likely to say goodbye to that investment after only a month.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

Thanks to everyone who responded to my last post about post-PhD life.

In a sign that my life continues to get stupider, a whole new emotional problem has developed. Some guy I met online and have talked to for the last two weeks wants me to travel overseas to his country for a romantic visit (I am a cis male fagoon, for context). Normally, my red flags would go up to such an extent to rule this out completely, but I really like him, have had video calls with him, and have verified through a few different websites that he is who he says he is. He is in a country that could be seen as slightly "dangerous" from an American perspective (there’s a travel warning there lol), but the city he is in seems relatively safe. I have decent experience traveling abroad, and I feel like I would probably be fine if I took some precautions.

I am pretty sure everyone who reads this will laugh and urge me not to go, but I am also just wondering how I have allowed my loneliness and overall boredom with life to get to a point where I am even considering doing this.

Anywhere with a travel advisory is probably triple bad for gay people. Getting laid or going on a date does not sound like it would be terribly difficult for you, so it does beg the question why you're looking for a more... extreme experience.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The state of mental health is like medicine in the 1700s; you're better off with a bonesetter.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
That's pretty much my experience with therapists too. I guess it must work for a certain percentage of people who are depressed but still functioning well enough to get themselves an appointment, but it did more harm than good for me.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Chuka Umana posted:

Update on work: I'm probably going to quit tomorrow, don't even want a paycheck from this place, I don't want their money. The staff have no idea what they're doing since no one I've met in either the office or the floor have worked past six months, patient privacy is basically out the window as everyone uses their phones, the floors are chronically understaffed. On Saturday I was sent home early cuz I had such a visceral reaction to how poor of a state the facility was in. I was weeping for the patients after walking into the unit I was training on and the other staff there had their loving airpods in texting and listening to music. I'm told every other psych hospital is like this, so if that's true I'm getting out of this field. I thought I was going in to help people. I'm not just going to be complicit in a company building their facilities out of maximizing insurance/medicaid money extraction from the patients.

By the way should every patient in the unit be knocked out on sedatives/antipsychotics by 4pm?

From what I gather it depends on the severity of the patients disfunction / danger to themselves and others. I have family that work in the field and for some people the best treatment the mental health field has to offer is to keep them sedated pretty much all the time. Of course, even then they're obligated to let them go as soon as they're lucid enough to request it, usually resulting in them getting dragged back by cops a few days later once they're psychotic again.

It's not as challenging, but maybe see if you can move to a facility that's more about socializing less severe cases? To me it's a horribly insufficient system, but having a friendly face around certainly can't hurt.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Is getting on wellbutrin as a preventative measure for seasonal affective disorder difficult/advisable? I have enough structure in my life right now that I don't expect everything to fall to poo poo, but the dark period of the year is harder for me than the rest of the year.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

skooma512 posted:

I had an ingrown nail from an injury and it was so bad even the slightest bump or touch was so so painful.

I wish I could say I can’t believe 5 doctors missed it. Probably trying to speed run every patient to rake in money

What do you mean missed it? Did you like say "I am in pain... somewhere" and they had to guess?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I know a guy who was diagnosed with COPD after receiving radiation therapy; he was, not very effectively, treated for it for over 20 years before somebody discovered that he just has asthma and gave him an inhaler.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Maybe get some small potted plants or whatever and just grow them bigger? If they die you're still making compost.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Poverty is a direct consequence of capitalism, it exists so that the rich may exploit the labor of the poor. By trauma, do we mean any injury suffered, or ongoing mental anguish due to an unpleasant experience? Are all exploited people traumatized regardless of their awareness or subjective opinion of their exploitation?

I think most poor people end up being traumatized by the consequences of being poor anyway, so the distinction might be moot.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
While I get the animosity towards capitalism, I don't get the animosity towards mental health services wanting to make you able to function under it. That's the society we have, so what value would there be in trying to help you live a fulfilling life in any other type of society?

Seeing how lovely and precarious the social safety net is it would be negligent to keep your patients reliant on it. If anything, my main complaint is that mental health services seem ineffective at getting people plugged back into the matrix.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Ronwayne posted:

There is the other side of it which is not switching between the two fast enough, in which you become the mental health equivalent of the guy who keeps tearing his ACL/shoulder over and over and over again.

There are good reasons for this. The quality of life one can expect at the end of this path is dreadful, if not non-existent. It's not just that one become a burden on society, although this is surely part of it, but that nobody with a shred of empathy wants to see someone go down that road if there is any hope.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Ronwayne posted:

When I repeatedly slam my head against a wall and then hear "get plugged back into the matrix," sometimes it can feel that what a mentally ill person is telling others is falling on deaf ears. That said mentally ill person is some combination of confused, ignorant, or just wrong and need to be corrected as to the harsh reality of the world. Sometimes this can be true, but a lot of times it isn't.

Nah, I hear you, and I don't think you're any of those things. it's just a very untenable situation for most who encounter it. If you can make a fulfilling life for yourself without ever working I would never begrudge you for doing so.

I have a lot of mental scars from back when I was unemployed and depressed for years, so I do find it somewhat difficult to empathize with the conclusion you seem to have come to. Being employed and doing well at work is so integral to my own mental health, as well as my continued existence in the society I live in, and yet I don't have a rosy image of what it can be like either. As such, if it seems like I am challenging you, I don't really think that has anything to do with you being mentally ill.

As of now, not all mental illnesses can be resolved, and maybe I am guilty of assuming that coming to terms with work would be a necessity for you. Maybe it's not. I hope your situation continues to improve.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

AceOfFlames posted:

I don't want to fight. I hate drugs. I hate alcohol. Everything that I like is tied to bougie AF civilization. I like video games. I like travelling with my family. I like sitting in a room, doing a very specific task and being praised for it. I hate cleaning. I hate the 5 billion maintenance tasks that life requires. I hate having to keep track of everything I have to do and everything I owe everyone. I hate vague tasks. Maslow's Pyramid is upside down for me. An existence only based around eating, sleeping and loving is hell for me. I don't want to fight for any person. I don't want to fight for any cause. I have no cause nor do I wish to have one. I want an eternal unchanging framework I can point to and say "I acted according to that. Any blame relies on that". I don't want to take responsibility for my own actions. If we are all responsible for what we do, we all deserve to go to Hell. The only God I would recognize is one who would get on Its knees and apologize to me for all the suffering They have put me through. And I would kick Them in the face and scream "NO".

This is who I am. This is what the world has made me be. I am a horrible, lazy, despicable person. And I can't force myself to delude myself into the madness that is "intrinsic motivation", " confidence", etc. Values are meaningless if we create them ourselves. I want instructions and the means to carry them out. I guess I ultimately want to go back to school when I could simply read a text book, ace an exam without studying and be told I was a genius

Sounds like you should listen to your therapist, shut off the news and go back to school then; maybe pursue a job in academia and never leave your office. There's no point to any of this except, perhaps, doing something that makes it an enjoyable experience, and like you said, you don't want to fight.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

LifeLynx posted:

Do those 10000Lux light therapy lamps really work? I've got a prescription for Vitamin D that I forgot about because I was getting out more in the summer, but I will start taking again. But I'm stuck inside every day and seasonal depression is getting to me and it's about to get a lot worse.

I bought one, been using it for a week, and I'm taking Vitamin D pills. I can't say that I feel much better, but it's not made anything worse either. I've managed to do a decent job at home office, and gotten a few extra tasks that I've been putting off done; that's not usually how it goes when i get stuck at home and not seeing folks soo... maybe!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I try to dedicate each year to sorting out at least one major thing. It's been painful at times, but there seems to be somewhat of a momentum to it. Last year one thing got resolved, this year two. I might dare to hope for three in 2022, despite it all things are going pretty well.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

WhyZodiac posted:

What are the three?

I would like to lose some weight. My health is fine, and I carry it alright, but I don't like the way it makes my face so round. Just does not look like me in the mirror.

I should try dating. In a few days I will have been single for a year. I don't feel ready at all though. I no longer believe there's nobody out there that would suit me, having spoken to some really cool people this year, but actually putting myself out there is scary.

I would like to make some new friends. I do have friends, but they're getting busy with kids, and scheduling is getting harder with age in general. I have a few acquaintances that seem like they could maybe go somewhere, but it's been sort of difficult to take that step that gets them involved in my life. I might have blown it with some of them, but I should still give it a shot, and if it does not work out find some other people to hang out with.

These issues are not huge in the grand scheme of things, but they're issues I have not had the capacity to deal with until now.

thotsky has issued a correction as of 02:54 on Dec 12, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

WhyZodiac posted:

Thank you for sharing.

I am not going to do that whole thing where I reply offering advice that I don't follow to deal with these.

However, if you ever want a new friend, just give me a shout. I am going to assume you are in the US, I am in the UK but with today's technology, who cares.

Norway, actually. If you’re interested in virtual ghost hunting I will send you an invite next time I have a phasmophobia game coming up.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

StashAugustine posted:

do you have a plan for weight loss? i have absolutely no contructive advice to give on the last two but i did get some progress on weight loss this year with just simple calorie tracking

I have done calorie tracking / low-carb before and it worked well, although for some of that I was on wellbutrin and that definitely helped.

Food is both a passion and a soothing mechanism, so with that approach I basically have to be miserable all the time. I want to try fasting instead, at least in the short term, and since I am doing better I feel like most of my snacking is just a habit at this point.

I did consider getting back on wellbutrin because it would be convenient for weight loss and because I struggle with SAD at this time of year, but I don't really know how realistic that is. I bought a light therapy lamp and have been taking vitamin D supplements instead, but not sure if it is working yet.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Your options are generally to go to jail, die in some shithole, find meaning in the kind of organizing sanctioned by liberal democracy or try to come to peace with the fact that the fate of the world is out of your hands. Most people do the latter, eventually. It does not sound like your anger is doing anyone any good right now, least of all yourself. Find a coping strategy. Maybe work out, or divert yourself. I know reminders are everywhere, but if something you're doing, or someone you are talking to is especially triggering then stop exposing yourself to that for a while.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

thehandtruck posted:

jfc nobody's telling u to lie to yourself, ur not a loving god you can only do so much so do what u can eat some spaghetti and enjoy ur days

Yep, and also, if you're waiting for someone else to fix everything you will be waiting a very long time. Learning to cope, in whatever way works for you, will still be neccesary, and nobody else can do that for you.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How much should going from being broke and desperate for work to earning hella money in a job you like affect your mental health? Between 1 and 10

Depends. If your mental health was being affected by the situation resolving it will have a big impact, although it might take a little while for the change to sink in, and even then such a trauma might leave scars. For me, I would say it was an 8, but it did make me realize my mental health crisis was a more multifaceted affair than I was giving it credit for.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I dropped Wellbutrin because it made my heart race one day. Honestly, it seems kinda weird I did it so suddenly, but I am going to trust myself on that one.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

AceOfFlames posted:

I only work if I get paid. I only clean if people are coming.

This is true for like 87% of people.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

AceOfFlames posted:

And yet even my family thinks I should be "proud" of my work for its own sake.

Sounds like a them problem.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

AceOfFlames posted:

I feel like I can't even share this stuff with my therapist because I would end up institutionalized or given up on.

I doubt that. This seems like pretty standard stuff to me. It's clearly affecting you to an unhealthy degree right now, but lots of people who never have cause to see a therapists struggle with similar thoughts. I would share with a therapist and see if something like CBT might give you the tools to break some of these thought loops that are causing you so much pain.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

TVsVeryOwn posted:

The entire objective of the mental health field is to keep you functional under capitalism.

It's not like there's a different system on offer. Being functional in the society we live in seems to have some value.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Congrats on quitting some of the bad stuff at least, that's an accomplishment, as is the fact you work at all.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Raine posted:

it's kinda hosed up that he died when I was out of the country. i'm caught in the disney trope where he disappeared off-screen and now he could come back at any time. i keep having dreams where he comes back. they're essentially nightmares with how it leaves me feeling when i wake

My mom died 10 years ago. I was there for it and everything, but I would have dreams where she was alive again, or worse, dreams where she would suddenly be back in my life, and I was aware that she was dead, but nobody would acknowledge how weird it was that this dead person kept popping in and out of existence. For the first 2 years it could be difficult to tell the dreams and reality apart at times,. Whenever I would open up to people about them they would sort of brush it off, probably chalking it up to grief, but this came really close to how dream people would react when I would ask them how weird it was that my dead mom was suddenly back in our lives, adding to my confusion.

I don't know what to call that experience, but life felt pretty wrong and unreal for at least 3 years more, but the dreams did stop.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I have multiple family members working in the places that receives people who are involuntary committed, and they're not there because of someone's spite. They're psychotic or actively hurting themselves, and as soon as they stop they're released, even when they still need help, because holding them is so expensive. According to them they do receive people who should not be there, but those are people who voluntarily commit themselves because they're lonely and like the structure and attention.

thotsky has issued a correction as of 10:11 on Jun 25, 2022

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

AceOfFlames posted:

Cross posting from E/N since i am freaking out.

I think i am doing terribly at this job. But no one is saying anything. I mean, other than correcting the stupid basic mistakes i do (i just got corrected by having left on format on save adding a bunch of necessary changes, being unable to split my merge requests into smaller ones, misunderstanding the explicit instructions in the use story...) Now i am in a limbo where i don't know if everyone secretly thinks i am a stupid idiot who shouldnt be making these basic mistakes at 10 years experience or if it's all in my head. My family says it's all in my head with not evidence. My few friends say it's all in my head with no evidence. I am just afraid that if i leave i don't dare ask anyone for references. What do I do?

Edit: I can't lost this job because i don't even know how to speak Norwegian because i get home so loving tired and fried i have no energy to do anything else. And then in the weekends my brother always invites me over and i get a bunch of questions like the house thing and "why am I not taking a Norwegian course" and "Why haven't you invited us over in over a year" (because my house is filthy and full of garbage and boxes i never unpacked because i don't know where to put anything) and "what exactly do you do with all your free time" ("NOTHING. loving NOTHING. I lay in bed, watch videos, heat garbage food in my oven or airdryer and that's it"), "You should get a new therapist, you've been there for so long and you still don't act normal", and MORE AND MORE CRITICISMS AHHHHHHH

Nothing I do is good enough. I act like a child and an treated like a child by everyone. And i can't escape the cycle. Everything seems pointless to me since the world seems to be collapsing. People are actively talking about it at work. And i don't understand how anyone can keep going like this.

I think i am doing terribly at this job. But no one is saying anything. I mean, other than correcting the stupid basic mistakes i do (i just got corrected by having left on format on save adding a bunch of necessary changes, being unable to split my merge requests into smaller ones, misunderstanding the explicit instructions in the use story...) Now i am in a limbo where i don't know if everyone secretly thinks i am a stupid idiot who shouldnt be making these basic mistakes at 10 years experience or if it's all in my head. My family says it's all in my head with not evidence. My few friends say it's all in my head with no evidence. I am just afraid that if i leave i don't dare ask anyone for references. What do I do?

Edit: I can't lost this job because i don't even know how to speak Norwegian because i get home so loving tired and fried i have no energy to do anything else. And then in the weekends my brother always invites me over and i get a bunch of questions like the house thing and "why am I not taking a Norwegian course" and "Why haven't you invited us over in over a year" (because my house is filthy and full of garbage and boxes i never unpacked because i don't know where to put anything) and "what exactly do you do with all your free time" ("NOTHING. loving NOTHING. I lay in bed, watch videos, heat garbage food in my oven or airdryer and that's it"), "You should get a new therapist, you've been there for so long and you still don't act normal", and MORE AND MORE CRITICISMS AHHHHHHH

Nothing I do is good enough. I act like a child and an treated like a child by everyone. And i can't escape the cycle. Everything seems pointless to me since the world seems to be collapsing. People are actively talking about it at work. And i don't understand how anyone can keep going like this.

Edit: my boss wants to talk to me about this in 30 mins. I dunno if I should offer to resign.

If you're being corrected a bunch at least you must be doing something. Lots of bad employees just do nothing. If you are able to take the criticism, make changes and get your pull requests approved I would argue you are in fact a good employee.

It's nice when team members start internalizing the lessons they are being taught during code review and you have to correct them less, but I would take a team member who I have to give a piece or two of feedback to every time over one who never delivers anything or one who fights every suggestion I make.

The latter ones are shockingly common, which you probably know at some level if you have been doing this for ten years. I would say on average a third of any team end up being these people. Just don't be one of them and most everyone should be very happy to work with you.

thotsky has issued a correction as of 17:00 on Aug 19, 2022

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

StashAugustine posted:

In therapy today had a suggestion of using meetup.com to find groups for various interests, and the first thing that came up was a SFF discussion group meeting at a bar tonight. (I work second shift but have a generous lunch break so I'd stop by for a bit then.) I was initially both interested and also anxious about it, which kept dialing up as time went on. I couldn't quite decide whether I actually wanted to go; at first it was a series of practical, if perhaps trivial, concerns about not having similar tastes, not fitting in well, etc; but by the end it was just an overpowering and basically incoherent fear. I had decided to go but as I was going to the car it started raining heavily, and I ended up changing my mind multiple times in the car until I ended up going home instead. I'm obviously gonna bring this up next time but I gotta write it down anyway and figured I'd get eyes on it

Sounds very familiar. Change and socializing with new people can both be very uncomfortable and even scary. For me, if I am depressed, that kind of impulse is stronger and closer at hand, but I have had episodes like that even when I am at my best.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

endlessmonotony posted:

I've been slowly contemplating the things I always hear when I share what my condition does.

And picking things apart until I understand what makes them tick is what I do. So I've done a lot of it on the statements.

The truth is that those statements are not for me; they reveal nothing about the relationship between me and the person saying them, because they repeat the same lines. I've raged against meaningless platitudes before, but analyzing them does bear fruit, if ever so slowly. They have meaning, but the meaning is entirely implied.

Then I compare and contrast with the treatment of mentally ill homeless people. I take every statement, then ask "is this true for someone homeless?". I do this with more or less everything said to me.

The platitudes are defense mechanisms. I'm observing the truth about my condition - it's led to me being isolated and miserable, and it's ongoing and unlikely to improve. Several different doctors have confirmed my condition cannot be treated any further. Any actions I try to take against my life sucking rear end are at best long shots because I don't have the capability to work to get me the resources needed to actually improve my life, and as the conditions around the world get more dire, I am less and less a priority to government services and they weren't good before.

So I confront people, especially when what was said was insincere or a lie. Often the true message is just "disabled people are weird and creepy, go away", and in those cases I don't have a reason to talk to that person. Sometimes it's "I can't handle this, it makes me unable to ignore my own problems", in which case I wish them good luck and don't talk to them anymore. Far more often than I'd like it's "you can't say that, people will get upset, you need to act normal", which is just plain sad.

It's strange, how often people think the answer is to pretend I don't feel the way I do and to convince myself of things I know to be false. I've never seen it work, but I've heard it as advice countless times. Just as often I hear I need to be rational about things (and thus ignore my emotions) and that has the exact same success rate. I've yet to meet a rational person. Maybe I should grab my lantern and go looking. Well, tomorrow, it's getting pretty late.

But as I confront people, I do run into people who don't have an answer I can predict, too. Those answers are the only ones worth hearing. Sure, there's a lot of assholes out there too, but I'll take a honest rear end in a top hat over a polite rear end in a top hat any day. And sometimes I run into people who are just as tired of the charades as I am and not afraid to say it. They're a delight to meet. I should be more of an incorrigible scamp with irrelevant questions and uncomfortable observations. There's probably better ways to figure out who will tell me the truth than me being a scintillating font of sad stories, but I'm autistic as hell and probably not figuring it out. Tips?

What is the end goal of you "confronting people"? Is it political praxis, like, some kind of awareness raising? Are you looking for assistance of some kind from these people? Does it end up making you feel better or worse?

I think I might have told you before, but people trying to minimize your suffering/situation does not come across to me as strange at all. I think that's just what people resort to when they are emphatic but realize they can't directly solve your problem. I guess it feels less callous to people then just saying "welp that sucks", and has a theoretically chance of being helpful in some scenarios, but from the sound of it, not yours.

I am curious about what truths it is you are looking to hear from the people you interact with. It sounds like you are suggesting that you know people to be truthful with you if after sharing your woes they agree with your position on them, but that you would prefer to have another method at your disposal. The validity of the aforementioned approach seems questionable, and as far as I understand it, lie detection as a cognitive process is complex and not particularly accurate. Even if someone is not actively trying to deceive you, their take on reality might not jive with yours, a challenge you seem to be familiar with. What lies behind the eyes of other people is ultimately an abyss; I think people just try to make the best of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
People can say all of those things and mean them, and people can say none of those things because they simply don't give a poo poo.

If you can't do anything about your medical situation one way or another, why do you fight your mind trying to normalize it so badly? Coping mechanisms are probably there for a reason. Being painfully aware of the painful parts of our lives don't seem to make them any less painful.