Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

STAC Goat posted:

Its basically a UPenn/Paterno-esque story of WWE employing and covering up for MULTIPLE pedophile abusers. This is the writeup done but I actually don't think it even touches on things. Through the course of that whole thread we kept digging deeper into it and learning worse and worse poo poo.

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1074375892607098880
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1074375894746181633
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/...pagenumber%3D15

:gonk:

jesus gently caress, please tell me people are in prison for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah I thought Clive Palmer got off fairly lightly - he's a colossal shitlord and it's frankly incredible that literally anyone would consider voting for him.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

swickles posted:

Hell, I would rank guillotine above almost every currently used method as "humane".

Even then, isn't there evidence to suggest that guillotine victims have a few brief moments of awareness before the blood completely drains from their brain? I seem to remember reports of beheading victims looking around in horror for a couple of seconds before dying.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I enjoyed the way he segued every scene in the movie with "and now, this"

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Fire 🔥

One of the best episodes this year I think, when it's just such an odd topic without serious ramifications for Americans they can just get way more creative than usual.

And in a poorly-thought-out response, Guinness is of course .. doubling down:
https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2019/8/guinness-world-records-on-last-week-tonight-with-john-oliver-586398/

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Interesting that they don't say which allegations were false. Which part of what was said could they even plausibly deny?

They didn't say specifically which allegations were false because obviously none of it is false.

And yes, paying for certification has been their business model for at least 20 years, really since the dawn of the internet meant that their books weren't lucrative anymore.

So now we get records like: Most Recent Test of a Nuclear Bomb, awarded to ... well, North Korea, obviously. It's kind of sad and also loving hilarious that among all those self-important N Korean military folk watching their latest bomb test, there's probably an official certifier from Guinness WR wondering how their life ended up like this.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Lemme just shove something mostly unimportant but potentially interesting in your face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxatzHnl7Q8

Push notifications have collectively ruined the planet's attention span.

As a side note, one of my absolute pet hates is people who not only leave every push notification for every app active, complete with obnoxious sound effects, but insist on interrupting whatever they're doing to check the notification.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

YggiDee posted:

I used to follow the YouTube uploads at least but I guess Canadians aren't allowed to see them anymore.

Keep your eyes on YouTube on Sunday night/Monday morning. People usually upload the full episode in good quality. It eventually gets taken down, but if you've already watched it then it's not a problem!

And yes, Modi is absolutely a fascist. The comments for this episode on YouTube, Reddit etc are a real shitshow with Modi defenders rehashing the same tired old arguments.

If anyone here doesn't watch Hasan Minhaj's Patriot Act, he's done a couple of episodes about Modi as well which are definitely worth watching.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

You can, though with VPNs you get what you pay for. Most of the free ones have a data cap or dodgy software. The paid ones are good but it can be difficult to get American Netflix sometimes, as they tend to crack down on it occasionally.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Colbert and Seth Meyers were both definitely better without the audience, though with Colbert it was mainly because he was in full dgaf mode, sipping bourbon and bantering with the crew

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Typically there are pragmatic reasons wrt reelection a normal shithead would get his head out of his rear end at some point.

Yeah but why bother doing that when you've got the loudest voices in the media and an army of Twitter bots all parroting how great you are 24/7. Much easier to talk about how much you're fixing the problem while doing nothing, than it is to actually try and fix the problem.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

If anyone needs a bit more John in their lives (and who doesn't), he was on Seth Meyers' show the other night and there's a bunch of clips floating around on YouTube. It's basically just them shooting the poo poo for 15 minutes because it's not like they have much else to do!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuzEd1EbT88

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Pretty much. I know we live in the hell timeline, but the clip of him talking about hydroxychloroquine saying "just take it. take it! what've you got to lose? i'd take it, just take it, you need it" is some genuinely horrifying stuff. It's not often you see him in full snake-oil salesman mode, and doing it surrounded by all the presidential regalia is serious glitch-in-the-matrix stuff.

I know I should be numb to the circus after 3+ years of this garbage, but that clip really just made me stop and think.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Wanna buy that onesie

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Good episode this week. I like the idea of using trusted authority figures from other fields to try and combat conspiracy theory garbage, but I'm kinda doubtful how well it'd work. I'm sure we all know at least one person who's in deep with this stuff and trying to argue/reason/nudge people away from it just feels so futile.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Has there been any official backlash from the CCP yet? Normally when stuff like this airs they have an official "you have hurt the feelings of the Chinese people :( ps the following companies are now officially barred from China:" statement within minutes

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

after he's out of office

I admire your optimism. I mean, he's already "joking" about "12 more years". And the next cult leader is already right there in front of us (he doesn't even have a different name).

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

This article did the rounds a couple of days ago which kind of goes in a similar vein: https://gen.medium.com/i-lived-through-collapse-america-is-already-there-ba1e4b54c5fc

Basically a guy saying that people waiting for a Handmaid's Tale dystopia before agreeing that society is broken are way offbase - that societal collapse and civil war are just way more mundane and everyday than people expect. His lived experience of 1990s Colombo was everyday life like shopping and going to school, punctuated with the occasional shooting and nearby suicide bombing or airstrike.

As an outsider, I also think it's kind of astonishing that there seems so little interest in fixing the enormous flaws in the whole system. Not just stuff like the filibuster or the electoral college, but even going further to things like winner-takes-all elections. Having elections for an insane number of positions (like local judges and sherriffs). Leaving so many important functions in partisan hands (eg redistricting). Even the whole concept of Cabinet posts being totally unelected and largely unaccountable.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I really don't know anything about those movies that they're making fun of CNBC for liking to know why it's funny that they like them.

Wait, you've never seen Apocalypse Now or either of the good Godfather movies? Because you absolutely should - they're bona fide classics of cinema. Godfather 1 & 2 are also rare examples of the films actually improving on the source material.

Maybe I missed something, but the joke was just that they're every boomer dad's favourite movies, especially the kind of boomer dad who's into "movies that ~make u think~". In the same way that Gen Xers don't shut up about Pulp Fiction, or millenials with The Matrix and Fight Club.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

If I had to guess, it's because they think that whatever they're showing as horrorifying is pretty cool (the whole problem of why it's hard to make an anti-war movie), or they think that it's the result of alien circumstances (perhaps the influence of barbarous savages or whatnot) as opposed to being broader commentary.

Yeah that's kind of what I meant about boomer dad's favourite movies, and getting drawn in by the spectacle rather than engaging with what the movie's actually saying. The same way people watch movies like Wolf of Wall Street (or Wall Street) and are inspired by the Jordan Belfort / Gordon Gekko characters rather than repulsed.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

This last year has been so bad that it's hard for me to even really remember what Trump's offenses before this year have even been, although the sheer exhaustion from how many bad things he's done also really weighs down any attempt to go over all his sins. More Americans have died of Coronavirus than in 9/11, Katrina, and every war America has fought since World War 2. It's a whole lot.

This is the thing, he's operated for like six years on the firehose of bullshit principle, in that he just keeps constantly saying and doing outrageous things and nobody has any time to even remember or catalogue all of them. I think Vice News published a video in the last few days going over the highlights (lowlights?) of the last four years, and it's over an hour long. Like, just a surface level overview.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

It'll be a 30 minute version of this: https://vlipsy.com/vlip/john-oliver-we-got-him-lLG7suQs

Extravagant enough to make the gently caress Bob Murray song look like Cats

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Electors are chosen from the ranks of the winning party, they aren't just random people. They can also be fined or have their votes invalidated for voting against their state's winner (this depends by state iirc).

So for the faithless elector thing to hold, you'd need Democrats to deliberately move their votes over to Trump which has basically never happened. There were a few in the 2016 election but doing things like voting for Sanders instead of Clinton, and even then electors have said they only did it because it wouldn't change the outcome.

I know we've all had like 5 years of Post Trumpatic Stress Disorder, thinking that surely this scandal will sink and discredit Trump, only for him to ooze forward regardless, but honestly. I think his legal team is like 0 from 12 on lawsuits. They've spent 3-4 days saying they have massive evidence of fraud and have shown absolutely nothing. Fraud, mind you, that apparently only happened where they lost, and somehow didn't affect other races for Congress and the Senate.

The Secret Service have already said they'd be willing to remove "trespassers" from the White House, and after 4 years of him treating them like butlers and exposing them to Covid so he could sate his ego, I don't really buy the idea of them as a Praetorian Guard.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

If anyone's interested, John was on Seth Meyers' show yesterday, where he talked about the filming of the explosion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB2mjBuAtiQ

He also talked about the Adam Driver bit and the story behind it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtVJ3jfC1M0

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

He's also not wrong about Pringles, they are a trash-tier food

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

This viral marketing for Cyberpunk is really getting annoying

Nah, there's nowhere near enough penises for Cyberpunk marketing

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Daylight saving loving owns and I refuse to hear a bad word about it :colbert:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

I'm not a fan when it's still light out at 9pm in the summer. :colbert:

Counterpoint: the 8:30pm beach sunset is magical and the best time for an ocean swim

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

One Nut Wonder posted:

I'm done trying to understand national debt, etc. But I do have extra money, and I did buy the Nicolas Cage pillow. Will post a trip report when it arrives.

Username/post combo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah, I lived in northern Australia for a while and saltwater crocs absolutely do not gently caress around. They kill 1-2 people a year (way more than snakes or spiders), and the policy for dealing with saltwater crocs is generally "stay the gently caress away".

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah, those are 100% pre-recorded during regular taping runs. Look at all those names appearing in the credits, there's absolutely no chance they just brought the entire staff together during the break to record a 5-minute YouTube bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I also think that like “there’s bad people in Ukraine and it’s got its own share of serious domestic problems” should probably be a given and really doesn’t have much at all to did with this conflict or story. Ukraine aren’t the victims because they’re pure innocents. They’re the victims because what’s being done is wrong.

Right, it’s exactly the same as the whole “he was no angel” bullshit that gets spun every time an unarmed black person gets shot in the back by cops.