Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Larryb posted:

Also the game does have some kind of fast travel mechanic like the previous entries right?

yeah you can fly to any poke center (and certain other landmarks) you've found right from the start of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ya

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

indigi posted:

Do we know the tera type before the raid, or do we only find out once the battle starts like gym opponent levels

the tera type shows up on the map

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the ai partners in tera raids are really dumb too

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

not that I’ve seen, they’re just not very smart. I’ve only done up to three star battles though and from what I understand they go higher

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Haifisch posted:

Is it like SwSh where lower level raids effectively disappear after a certain point? Because that demolished any interest I had in doing them (since getting humans to raid with you is a crapshoot and the ai is terrible).

they still show up in low level areas but I haven’t gone back to do any in those areas now that I’ve outleveled them, so I can’t be sure. I’ll check and get back to you

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Haifisch posted:

Is it like SwSh where lower level raids effectively disappear after a certain point? Because that demolished any interest I had in doing them (since getting humans to raid with you is a crapshoot and the ai is terrible).

update: went back and did a raid in a starter area. my pokemon are like 45 and I one-shot it, so yeah lower levels absolutely keep appearing

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

of note that I haven’t beaten the campaign yet (probably like 80% through or so) so if something big happens after it’s done I can’t speak to that

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

DarkLich posted:

Are there any first-hand summaries of how the Tera system works?

For example, I want to use the lovely Frosmoth but without it's horrible defensive ice/bug typing. How much freedom do I have in choosing it's new type? How frequently is it available to assume that Tera form?

every pokemon comes with a tera type by default (as far as i can tell, its primary type). you can get weird ones from doing tera raids or at a certain point in the story, you unlock the ability to customize a tera type by spending a currency you get from doing raids

you can use terastillize on one pokemon in one battle (and it will last until the pokemon dies or the battle ends), and then you have to go to a poke center and rest to be able to use it again

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

indigi posted:

doesn't reset on switch?

assuming i understand you correctly, no. if you tera, swap away, and then swap back, the pokemon is still terastillized

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Araxxor posted:

How much of said currency do you get?

I saw the cost was 50 of a specific type of tera shard but I have no idea if that cost is hard to pay or trivial.

i got two from a one-star. i assume you get more from higher-star but i haven't done many tera raids

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

spoilers for scarlet/violet ahead!!! thought i would talk about the rewards from each of the three storylines for people who might be interested; they're designed level-wise to have you pingpong from one activity to the next but maybe you want one kind of reward over another and want to beeline for it. who knows, i'm not you.

gyms: gym badges, like always, let you catch + control pokemon of an increasing higher level. doesn't matter which badge you get in which order, each badge gives you +5 level to catch/control.

titans/herba mystica: there's five of them and each one gives your rideable pokemon a new ability. 99% sure you get the abilities in a set order and doesn't matter which titan you kill. first is swimming, second is dashing, third is high jump, fourth is gliding, fifth is climbing vertical walls.

star bases: you're given LP (as good as cash in most (all?) stores, also used to craft TMs) and a bunch of pokemon materials, used for crafting TMs.

hope that helps someone out there!!! enjoy!!!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Scholtz posted:

when do you get the running shoes

you don't. why would you need them? unless this is a joke, i don't play a ton of pokemon or read this thread very often

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Flopsy posted:

I like that they're trying to spread things out to make them more engaging. It's certainly a more compelling narrative structure than the previous one. Btw which starter did you go with?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the only time i felt like i was stupid overleveled and trivializing is when i went at level ~30 or so to the other direction you can go from the start, and ended up crushing a couple activities. otherwise it's been pretty dead on. i think a lot of people are going to have differing experiences just due to the nonlinearity of this one, i'm curious to see how it shakes out

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Larryb posted:

SwSh also gave you the ability to farm Dynamax raids in the Wild Areas for candies (meaning you could theoretically get a Level 100 team fairly early on and just steamroll the game if you so chose). Is there anything quite that broken in SV?

yeah you can farm tera raids right from the start and they give you exp food and rare candies so if you wanna grind, you can do that

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

also can i just say that the rideable pokemon designs are stupid. I like a ton of the new mons but I don't like these guys. Stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Larryb posted:

Where can Tera Raids be found?

literally everywhere

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is there more besides the little lizard guys and the box legendaries?

i didn't know there were others beyond the box legendaries lol

Xander B Coolridge posted:

It sounds like more than ever this game is pushing for a less traditional "core team of 6" playthrough

Which isn't terrible, but I am going to miss having my "main" team and also not blowing past everything because of level advantage

i've largely had a pretty set core (though lategame this is biting me in the rear end because i'm awful at type coverage and just pick the ones i think are cute)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Flopsy posted:

If you've gotten your hands on a ditto may I request a baby Sprigatito? If you have a shiny you'd like in return I'm sitting on a hoard in SW/SH and Legends.

i don't have any access to online functionality

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

if there's a bike i didn't find it

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

battle as group is multiplayer. if you pick battle alone you get AI buddies

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Larryb posted:

So returning to my second question then, is the AI any smarter than it was in Gen 8?

Also is there a means of telling what level the Raid Pokemon you’re going up against is beforehand?

Finally aside from the gym challenge how do you go about starting the other two stories in the game?

dunno, didn't raid much in gen 8. they don't seem super smart tho

yeah, level seems to be based off of the star rating, which you see before you choose to raid

they all start at the same time

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

I got dashing as my first ability so I think they are actually connected to the specific titan.

Blockhouse posted:

On the titan point order does matter I think I beat the crab first and got dashing

well dang then

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

Can you throw berries and sometimes mudballs at pokemon in the wild like in PLA?

no

Dehry posted:

Re: Abilities

The first titan to the west is Swimming as an ability. Everything advertised so far assumes you start off going to the east from the city, but there's an equally weak gym leader and titan to the west.

yeah i went west first

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

also the game is very much largely big outdoor areas. caves are few and far between

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i am incredibly glad this game isn't really anything like PLA, which i absolutely hated. leave that poo poo in a spinoff series

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

also, i just finished the game. pretty loving rad. ending was really cool, excited to see people play through it!!

this was my final trainer card at the end of the game.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the other two storylines give badges also

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Nanigans posted:

After a lot of research, I've settled on what I am 99% sure is my final team barring any foolishness about how early I can find them. I have no overlaps with my rival/the champion/the baddies or the gym leaders--at least not with any of their aces--I have 12 types represented--all different types of monsters--reptiles, birds, mammals, insects, plants, etc. And while I have some returning faces, all of them are new to me as far as play-throughs go. It's also only 2 returning Pokémon, the same as the Champion and rivals.

I know some people like the thrill of the surprise, or rotating out new members as they go. I have no problems with that. But for me, I like to have my core group of friends who I'm going to see through the story with and really get attached to. I also have lots of brainworms and stipulations about who I will use (see above.) Sometimes it's frustrating, but this time, I think it's going to work out perfectly.

Anyway, here they are:

For those who finished the game: I'm going to assume to assume all of these should be available by at least the mid-game, right? Also, are there wild Azurill (the baby form), or will I only find Marill in the wild?

yea, there are plenty of that baby around right at the start. I don’t recognize your middle two but the others are easily gotten

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

oh yeah I didn’t use those but I caught their first forms very early. you should be good to go

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Brick Shipment posted:

I'm going to let my team develop organically, with one exception. How early/late in the game can I get veluza, that fish one that looks like it detaches it's body into fillets?

as soon as you can swim, which can be pretty early. they're all over the place.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Larryb posted:

One more question, out of the 3 storylines in the game which is the best one in your opinion to tackle first (or are they all about the same in terms of length/difficulty)?

Speaking of, do the Star and Totem arcs at least give you some clear direction on where to go next to continue the story?

they're literally all on the map. all three storylines span the same amount of levels, and you're very much intended to pingpong from one to the next

MorningMoon posted:

You're deffo meant to be doing the stories near concurrently. Many gyms are close to one or two other bosses, and the stuff you unlock in gyms and titans synergize Gym badges raise the level of pokemon you can catch and have obey you (only for catching, pokemon you catch at low level but then go way high level will always obey you), and the titan story unlocks more mobility on your bike so you can reach more areas. I think the team star doesn't unlock anything?

correct, team star only gives you more tm materials and LP.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Larryb posted:

Oh ok, I got confused by the initial wording and thought it meant you could pick and choose which story arc you wanted to follow. So it’s basically the same as a normal game then except the entire region is one huge Wild Area (albeit with certain places blocked off until you get some new abilities)

correct

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

between XY hiding 99% of the megastones in the postgame, SwSh putting almost all of the gigamax pokemon in postgame raids, and now this, im not sure ganefreak understands that people want to play with cool poo poo during the story itself

especially because there hasn't been an actual postgame area since gen 5 and this one has continued the trend by axing the battle tower as well. congrats, you caught the cool monster!! there'snothing to fight with it though. :effort:

there is at least some endgame stuff, though i don't know how extensive it is, since i played hard to beat the campaign and have been taking a break since. they sent me out to do a bunch of gym refights and there was a lot of talk about a school tournament to happen after i did that.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

how can you not love that animation. it's amazing

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

super excited to see all the framerate freak out themselves. Have a great time everyone!!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

PunishedEnzoMatrix posted:

The eyebrow sliding in from the left is a bit weird tho

that's not what's happening lol. Are you stupid.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Endorph posted:

its definitely not a leaf. i think its their hair clipping through their hat tho, not an eyebrow

nm actually

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mega64 posted:

How was the frame rate in your experience?

bad! i simply didn't care because the game is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Augus posted:

not having a battle tower is a big L tho

agree w/ that. its postgame is meager.