Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I'm more worried about some of the game breaking bugs I've read about in discussions regarding playthroughs on the leaked ROMs. My hope is these are a form of soft DRM kinda like how hacked versions of original Spyro the Dragon were technically playable but your progress would constantly be lost or weird visual bugs would happen to try to deter you from continuing. Soul Silver had this so I'm reserving judgement until the game officially launches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

qnqnx posted:

What I have found so far is that this particular streamer is using item cheats. Though no idea how that is affecting the battles because it shouldn't at all.
Here's another weird one: https://www.twitch.tv/fireburnsslowly/clip/TiredObliviousShieldKippa

Yeah, see those kinds of bugs look like they could be caused by the 'soft DRM' I was talking about. Here's the explaination of the Playstation's DRM in regards to Spyro: Year of the Dragon (correction from earlier, I thought it was Original Spyro) if anyone is interested in that sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GYSeXLr5sY

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I'm planning to get Shield because I like the legendary better. I'm gonna wait a few weeks for reviews to come out though because I refuse to pre-order games.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

qnqnx posted:

Yeah, and if the credits of the S/M US/UM are of any indication, they already subcontract a lot of work.
Would also help to have a sane and lengthy enough development cycle.

Breath of the Wild supposedly was in development for 10 years, I can't imagine Game Freak wanting to work on a single game for that long. The mainline Pokemon games are only in development for around 3 iirc

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

doomisland posted:

just buy it in a store

This only works if stores have any stock. In the past you had to pre-order because everywhere would be sold out for weeks. Hopefully with digital downloads this won't be the case.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

it looks like there's a path to the down-right direction--presumably with some more content--that is being pointedly ignored to pretend that route is smaller than it actually is

Freeze the gif on the map view, you can see that it started right at the very end of Route 7. Very misleading, there's definitely more to the map than that.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

What's a good nickname for a scorbunny?

Fire Fiver

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 16, 2019

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I missed out on a square shiny gigalith because the raid catch rates are so abysmal :negative:

I'm really about to give up on max raid battles... everything breaks out if I'm playing online. I even used a dusk ball on that shiny and it still busted out. Is there something I'm doing wrong? None of my mons are 100, if I level them more does that help my catch rate?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Bleck posted:

I definitely feel like a lot of humanoid pokemon would be less disliked by people if they weren't almost always animated as just sorta standing in place

Golduck used to be one of my favorite pokemon but its animation killed it for me. :negative:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Pokémon Home's countdown timer for wonder trades is something like 6 hours after you put your mon in. I don't feel safe wonder trading in SwSh due to that exploit wrecking save files so I'm using the feature in Home instead, but this wait time is some bullshit :colbert:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Dienes posted:

Wait, what?

There's an exploit right now where you could get a bad mon in surprise trade and it kills your online capabilities on that save file. There's no known fix at the moment.

Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-02-13-maliciously-crafted-pokemon-sent-over-surprise-trade-can-crash-sword-and-shield

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

He's dead, Jim. :rip:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I was in a shiny g-max raid for Machamp and that fucker didn't even bounce before he broke out. :argh: I had already used my masterball on my shield dog because I was lazy and just wanted my pokedex done, oops.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Geostomp posted:

Then it’ll give up and just be a dark cloud which about a third the populace will claim is a hoax to distract from the “real” truth.

A pokemon game in the style of Dark Cloud would be pretty cool though.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

galagazombie posted:

What is it with Pokemon protagonists and absent fathers?

There's a fan theory that there was a war right before Red/Blue/Green where a bunch of men left to fight and died on the battlefield. Lt. Surge has some lines that they point to as evidence. The other half of the fan theory links the Pokémon Go teams to the war.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Yeah that's the biggest problem with pokes in the overworld that they previously avoided entirely by having pokemon just exist in a void until they attack, maybe get a generic shadow blob. Every pokemon they have you could think of a half dozen pokemony-animaly-cute things they could be doing out in the world. Many pokemon have explicit relationships with other pokemon according to pokedex or anytime an npc mentions em. I figure now that slowpoke just isn't in this game, but when I first started I thought maybe I might evolve a slowbro at some point sending out my slowpoke near a shellder in the water and it'd chomp it's tail like I threw food lure, get me a Slowbro.

As it is they have the animations they have and can play them out in their spawn zones, get assigned a coward/aggressive ai, and that's it. There's a path across a river in the first zone with bidoof line around it and a small stick drat doodads for decoration and to explain that river path. Game needs poo poo like that, but for every pokemons "thing." Combee areas, why aren't there flowers they go to before hitting up a home tree or vespiquen in the area?

Iit would be cool to find pokemon not by walking to their spawn zone and time of day, but like, you see something that kind of looks like an animal den but can't fit in, you look around for some environmental clues like weird there's bones around with lightning-charred bite marks in it, maybe a Luxio pride lives in there. Then you can throw some favourite luxio food at the den and hide and see what pops out.

The trees in this game were also pathetic, we need big beefy trees and a canopy layer chimchars and birds and snakes and other appropriate mons are swinging around doing their pokethang.

Easy to imagine how every element of the game can be expanded, but with gamefreak timelines I feel like they'd have to do a game with a dozen pokemon to be able to add the depth and animations and behaviours you'd need to pull it off.

I've been working in Unity doing environmental design for VRChat worlds and in my eyes the quality of terrain in this game is so bad it hurts. Like, I have made better looking and better optimized terrain as a hobbyist than they have in this AAA game title.

These are my critiques from the screenshots I've seen:
- they're using default Unity terrain shaders, I can tell because the ground texture layers are mixed using transparency. Gravel stones just fade away into grass, where they should have used a heighmap blending capable shader. There's a free one on Github that I use: https://github.com/jensnt/TerrainHeightBlend-Shader
- The textures are super low quality, and I mean like low resolution because they're less than 1k textures, they look like 128x128 not 1024x1024
- there's no post processing in any of the screenshots I've seen so the lighting looks flat
- the gamedevs did not set up the LOD (level of detail) models correctly which makes the far away mons look stiff and weird, the up close ones you can see the lower quality model pop into view
- the draw distance for trees and other terrain details is too short. They could've used additional LOD models on their trees as well as billboards for the furthest distance ones

I can't speak to the gameplay because I haven't played it yet, but the lack of polish in the technical art department is really glaring to me.

edit: imagine what the game could've looked like if they used decent tree assets, here's an example:
https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/fantasy/fantasy-forest-environment-34245

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGAZh8KmH_M&t=2s

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 29, 2022

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

qnqnx posted:

Every Game Freak game is their first time doing things, please don't be harsh on the decades old yet perpetually plucky and underdog studio.

It doesn't look like they've hired anyone new in decades. I went on their website to see if they had any open positions I could apply to and send them n to portfolio but they don't even have any job openings, just some blurb about how to get an internship.

Their team has one supposedly 'mid-career' technical artist and zero environment artists.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

This with some city and gym progression like mainline game, and the graphics of BOTW: the best game of all time. Hopefully they take the hint

Unless they hire more talent that ain't happening

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Deified Data posted:

To me it seems less that the Switch can't handle the new Pokemon game (though being on Switch certainly doesn't help), and more like modern Pokemon games would run poorly on any platform you put them on

Like the Switch can run big open world games that look better than Pokemon, there's something about the way GF makes Pokemon games that A) makes this happen every single time, and B) makes them seemingly impossible to fix even after they've launched

I read someone with the game already clipped through a cave wall and saw the entire world was being rendered. Gamefreak's gamedev team apparently doesn't know what occlusion culling is.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

If you're on the other side of the occluding wall, it's not being occluded, is it? Also, occlusion culling is really more of a local thing. In an open world game, you wouldn't have distant objects loaded in the first place to be able to be culled by the renderer. And performance issues seem to be more related to data streaming than render time. Like that video posted seems to be the game going "oh poo poo I'm out of memory and I need to do the catch animation" and then whatever process that is supposed to quietly free up space for that hosed up and defaulted to unloading everything except the low detail world mesh, and then the game chugged as everything slowly loaded back in. And that sort of thing makes sense to be a problem because that's the hard part about making an open world game.

I make VRChat worlds in Unity and if I clip through an asset I can tell if occlusion culling is working because the assets in the world don't load when I'm inside of it. That's one way I test to make sure it's working. Only the skybox and the terrain would load, not all the details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Hammerite posted:

how do you know whether the assets have loaded? you are looking at debug output, or you have a "camera" that is distinct from the player avatar and you look at what's rendered for the camera?

I load the world into the game engine and I run around in it. I can see that the only loaded assets that are in my field of view when inside a solid asset (like a building) are the skybox and the terrain. In the unity editor I have more ability to debug, there's a way to see what occludes when the camera is moved around.

Admitably I'm just a hobbyist doing it for fun and not a career so I may not be entirely correct, this has just been my experience. The game camera in my case is first person perspective and not third person so it might be different in the games. It's clear that Gamefreak could use some more tech artists though.