Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Here on the ground floor to say that Sobble is my spirit mon and I won’t hear anything against it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The only good part of the 4kids dub was Team Rocket. :colbert:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Larryb posted:

True, but they're pretty fun in the orginal as well (also Japanese Jessie is voiced by Lina Inverse).

Oh, I know. I generally prefer the original.

Team Rocket is just the only part of the 4kids dub I have any positive nostalgia for because I loathe Veronica Taylor's Ash.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Nodosaur posted:

It doesn't help that where Matsumoto played Ash as hot blooded and determined, Taylor just came out as whiny and entitled.

That lessens over time but then you get to Advanced Generation and he and May are both main characters played by the same actor and sound way too drat similar.

Natochenny gets a lot of flack but I think she's a better match for Matsumoto's performance.

Yeah, these are my thoughts as well.

Taylor's Ash also goes from way too gravely at first to way too high pitched. But it really doesn't help that she can only do 1.5 voices. (She voices Micaiah from Fire Emblem now and her Micaiah voice is Literally May, Ash's Mom, and Every Other Female Character She Voices.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Chill Penguin posted:

If Grookey is "Passimian and Oranguru but useable" then I'll be happy. Some of the best new designs, but Pass is easily outclassed by other fighting types and Guru is only useful in double battles, which GF clearly don't really care about.

Except for that doubles are their official tournament format.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dad Jokes posted:

you: The logical inconsistencies and implications of Pokemon are existentially terrifying.
me: pokemon are my friends and they enjoy pats and treats

:hai:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Flopsy posted:

Dead mothers specifically and piloted by their preteen children. Also lots of christian imagery with no real basis except the director thought it looked cool. It's a series I can appreciate aesthetically and it has some the best lovecraftian creatures I've ever seen but the more I look into it the more I'm just like....a therapist would fix so much of this bullshit.

That was the point.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

That’s not a challenge, that’s proper fear of single use, rare items.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

I think S/M/US/UM are the only games to expressly say your playing as an 11 year old?

The Gen 1 manuals and ORAS also say that explicitly (though in ORAS you’re 12).

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Elusive monsters/box legendary is how I chose and yet my first choice is always the one without Vulpix.

And that's why it took me 17 years to use a mon with a design I've liked since I was 4.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

that's fair, I was just unsure of how far you're line of reasoning went. fwiw if i watched a fansub I'd prefer they localize the pokemon names too but i totally see where nodosaur's coming from and i don't agree with the gang-up on him

This is my thought too.

Character and place names untranslated, Pokemon and move names localized. With place names being less of a preference than character names.

But I also spent my preteen years watching the anime raw, so I equally think of Ash as both “Ash” and “Satoshi”. Same with Dawn as both “Dawn” and “Hikari”.

(Doesn’t apply to call characters though. TR’s pretty much always Jessie, James, and Meowth to me instead of Musashi, Kojirou, and Nyarth. But that’s because the theme of the localization of their names is more memorable to my American brain I think. )

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

The people arguing on either side of the “should fansubs use the English or Japanese Pokémon names” are being extremely tedious. Please, please, talk about something else

Which is the best starter, and why is it Oshawott?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Zuzie posted:

They have to be some sort of living creature for one. When designing a Pokémon, apparently they also think about how it lives in the wild: What its temperament and biology is like, what it eats, how it interacts with other Pokémon and humans, stuff like that. They're simultaneously designed to be both individuals and an entire species.

They also need to communicate what types they are and even general stats through designs, although these aren't hard or fast rules: For example, Makuhita is primarily yellow and black and has red cheeks, but its a fighting type, not an electric type like Pikachu. It is however big and bulky, which reflects its high HP stat and slow speed.

It wouldn’t shock me if the designs, especially the big ones they are trying to be very marketable, are focus tested with kids too to see if they find it appealing/cute/cool/tough-looking/smart/beautiful.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

At best you can play undocked with the joycons attached.

Who wants to bet they don't throw pro controller support to SS?

And who wants to bet there won’t be any new megas or regional forms?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Waterfall of Salt posted:

The weird thing is they do go back to their usual antics, except that they're still in their non-comic relief mode until that very same last stretch. So they don't really do cool stuff or joke around or anything. It's... Weird

I remember when during that TR radio show that aired in the middle of BW TR complained in character about not having any comedic scenes.

So clearly at some point at least a few of the writers knew they screwed up.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I found a shiny Psyduck in Diamond when I was like 11 or so.

That’s the last time I’ve found a non-plot shiny. I’ve gotten Pokerus more than I’ve found shinies.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Almost as good as the time he was caught pirating Black and White.

Also people who don’t nickname their Pokemon are monsters. :colbert:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Not shocking, though I kinda doubt it because they could’ve just reused the original design.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Silver2195 posted:

I should make a list of the anime's stock plots. There's a lot of them, and sometimes they're used in combination with each other (and of course with the basic character-of-the-day stock plot).

• Ash and friends are lost in a forest (not even a particular forest from the games, just a generic forest).
  • Ancient ruins (possibly with an associated prophecy) contain a secret involving powerful ancient Pokemon, which usually awaken and go on a rampage. (I like how the anime writers eventually parodied their own stock plot in "Claydol Big and Tall.")
  • A small Pokemon is turned kaiju-sized by mad science.
  • Everybody gets separated (usually due to one of Team Rocket's schemes backfiring), leading to random team-ups (e.g., Pikachu has to work together with Meowth).
  • A wealthy woman's Pokemon runs away because it prefers going on adventures to being pampered.
  • Two groups of Pokemon (often split evolutions) dislike each other for reasons that are never really explained.
  • Our heroes arrive in a town just when it's having its annual festival.
  • Humans are disrupting some Pokemon's habitat, leading the Pokemon to wreak havoc, but the humans change their way and become environmentally conscious after being lectured by the twerps.
  • A Romeo and Juliet pastiche (forbidden love between Pokemon whose trainers or families don't get along). Weirdly enough, I don't think I've seen any episodes based on other Shakespeare plays (unless "Love, Petalburg Style" counts as based on Much Ado About Nothing, which is a stretch); it's always Romeo and Juliet.
  • Team Rocket convinces a rather stupid person or Pokemon that they're the good guys and the twerps are the bad guys.
  • Ash meets a member of the Elite Four who defeats and/or lectures him, and he realizes he has a long way to go before he reaches their level. (Rather annoyingly, this is pretty much the only context in which Elite Four members other than Lance appear. Lance saves the day in two-parters right before the seventh gym instead.)

Any I've missed?

Ash has to crossdress for *insert reason here* is a once a series plot (minus Johto).

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

They should bring back seals.

If they're worried about children seeing people spell "DICKS" online, just don't bring back letter seals.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I even LIKE Lucario and have used it on several teams and I hated the gift.

I don't like not raising my 'mons from their prevo and I want to use new 'mons only in new gens.

And I still ended up using Lapras and Venusaur in X. (In my defense, it was at least the first time I ever used Lapras.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

What I want in MY dreams are official Pokemon brand scrubs.

Other professions are getting official work shirts, why not me. :(

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

People who spend money on gatcha are, in fact, morons.

*proceeds to buy a $60 game in the same franchise every year, some of which are the same as a previous year’s but slightly different*

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Flopsy posted:

My question is who's that loving passionate about the pokemon anime they would wish death on somebody over it? Fandoms are beyond me sometimes. I mean seriously, why be that invested? It's not like it's Voltron where queer baiting was the dish of the day. (I should clarify even in that case I don't condone how batshit that fandom went either. If poo poo goes bad just leave)

People were very angry about 4kids losing the license because MUH CHILDHOOD. You still sometimes see people talking about wanting the voice actors back, despite the fact that the TPCI cast has now been doing the dub longer than 4kids did.

Considering what happened with 4kids and Yugioh, it’s pretty understandable why TPCI decided to bring the dub in house (beyond just money reasons) but people were pissed about their contract not being renewed.

(What ultimately sunk 4kids, other than the anime dub market changing so that their style wasn’t desirable to licensors, was that they weren’t properly paying royalties re: Yugioh, which was their last major property so their contract was revoked. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some issues there for the anime and TPCI just said “gently caress it, we’ll save money and do it ourselves”. And then fans frothed at the mouth because it was different and the shoestring budget dub with at the time mostly inexperienced new actors dared to have a rough transition.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My uncle works at Game Freak and I used my influence to bring the Psychic type back to its former glory.

Also, I had Ice nerfed.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

We can make our monsters grow with big Premier Balls.

Finally, the best ball type gets love.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Apparently the Rotom phone also docks with your bike to replace HMs.

Yes, the website says you get a bike that crosses water.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ruggington posted:

dynamax wooloo

That’s a lot of sweaters.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Sobble continues being me.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Also who was the person here saying no one likes Hau because I’m here ready to fight you irl.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Still a good friend.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Geomancing posted:

I like that the not-UK region appears to be a cooler area, so all the NPCs and trainers and players are dressed in warmer clothing with jackets, leggings, boots and the like. My favorite outfit to wear in Pokemon Y was the black turtleneck sweater from the snowy region, and I think that kind of fashion looks nicer than the various t-shirts and shorts in Alola.

I agree. Tees and shorts are fun, but there’s more options with colder weather clothes.

Just please don’t make colors version exclusive again, Game Freak. :(

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

YaketySass posted:

The evil team's evil plan is gonna be about turning themselves huge and ruling as a new race of giants.

The leader’s an evil witch who is free after 10,000 years sealed in a trash can on the moon.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

:unsmith:

(even if it was an unintentional reminder that wowaka is dead :()

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I can’t wait for Whitney 2: This Time It’s a Sheep.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

SwSh gameplay on Treehouse right now.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

No we’re excited about Wooloo.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dias posted:

You can give other players potatoes to stave off the famine

They’re three days old though so be careful.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dynamax mons can do multiple moves in the same turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yikes.

I don’t have any friends that I transfer up, but this is some pretty bad news. And I don’t understand why the hell it’s the case. They already have models and movesets and stats for all the old Pokémon.

I guess we should’ve seen it coming though between SuMo not having a National dex and Let’s Go being limited.