Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cinema version or Director's Cut?

DC has those automated machine guns in the hallway, FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

We've all been there.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BIshOp!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So like in the Avatar movies, the Space Marines are bad. But in Aliens, the Space Marines are good.

Shades of gray....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

The UPP doesn't show up in Colonial Marines, but they are mentioned in a text log in Dark Descent, and are featured heavily in Aliens Infestation and in the Colonial Marines Technical Manual. Probably other stuff too, I haven't read all of the Dark Horse comics or looked at the recent RPG - I wouldn't be surprised if they made it into those.

The Colonial Marines suppressing a rebellion on Lethe is also a big part of the backstory in Dark Descent and helped create the conditions that let the Darwin Era cult thrive, too. They're only really the good guys if you need them to hunt bugs

"Another bug hunt, Sir?"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Which Colonial Marine do you most identify with?

I feel like Wierzbowski.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I still will drop a "Marines! We are LEAVING!!" when something goes bad and I gotta get out of there.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

Whenever I brush my daughters teeth I always say Check dem corners - CHECK DEM CORNERS.

Why don't you put her in charge?!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

How did that Alien find the drop ship?

RIP Spunkmeyer.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Bad quality but I found it in an Aliens FB group. :)

ITS READIN' RIGHT!!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Somebody wake up Hicks.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Plan R posted:

You can tell that to Wierzbowski.

WEIRZBOWSKI?!?!?!?!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The real failure is in the Colonial Marines not having a second way to get off the planet after the poo poo hit the fan.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

And why did that fail?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

It didn’t, the characters successfully used it to get off the planet.

If you’re saying they should have brought both dropship a down to begin with, that kind of requires foreknowledge of the situation that it’s not reasonable for the characters to have. It looked like it was a downed transmitter, they flew down in one ship, kept it on standby, and once things went sideways it all escalated so quickly that it went from “everything’s fine” to “we need dropship #1 to save us” to “dropship #1 just crashed into the APC and took out our transmitter that we’d use to call dropship #2” in the span of like 5 minutes. :v:

It’s like expecting you to always have someone drive a second car behind you to everywhere you go just in case your first car spontaneously combusts. I don’t think the characters were THAT paranoid.

Maybe they should have had a tactical nuke on site.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

Come to think of it, why didn't they have at least like one guy stay behind to look after the ship? Don't ships usually have a crew?

That was Spunkmeyer.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WELL THAT'S JUST GREAT!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrMojok posted:

If you consider the Colonial Marines Technical Manual as canon, I think the table of organization show that a platoon has two APCs, two dropships with pilots for each, and four squads.

But I think it talks about how they are spread thin and always understaffed, so Apone’s unit is actually half a platoon, with only one dropship pilot.

Although obviously Bishop can fly one too. But in the film they don’t believe Ripley’s story and figure they can get it done by putting everyone into a single APC and use one dropship.

I like the slight fact that they underestimated everything, and this led to their later defeat.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Boon, but yes, it was that other thing later.

No BOOM BOOM in the Reactor Facility!!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I saw we dust off, nuke it from orbit, to be sure.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd like to think I've been trained to deal with future Exo-situations, as they arise....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

It wasn’t a hostile environment, the Marines had secured the area.

In the pipe, 5 by 5.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Why is Prey being bandied about in this thread about Aliens?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cessna posted:

Outland

Blade Runner 2049

Outlander, with the crazy Jesus man.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Batman with 12 hours to prepare before they come at night.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

When I catch a sweet wave of traffic on a busy highway I will indeed sometimes say, "I'm in the pipe, 5 by 5".

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Is Alien better than The Thing?

Yes, but it's close.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Also, the Thing is in Aliens, Alien 3, and both original Predator movies.

Where is the Thing in Aliens?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

In plain sight. :tinfoil:

BIshop!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fatrick posted:

No, it's under Extras on Disney+

Is this non America Disney+? I don't see it listed.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Plays a new game of Knifey Fingers

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I love that Gorman got to go out like a champ.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

mllaneza posted:

That's worth at least a point in the movie's x/10 score. Not because he was cool, but because he wasn't.

Gorman and Burke are the human antagonists, and they are introduced together, as a pair.

But in the end, Gorman is a Marine and goes out like a Marine, and Burke is a corporate piece of poo poo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

At the end of the day, Gorman's biggest failings were that he was lacking in experience which made him overcompensate by being such a stickler for formality and rules, and that he lacked the ability to think flexibly on his feet, e.g., him overcomplicating instructions to Apone over the radio, and freezing under pressure when poo poo was really hitting the fan at an even greater rate than it was a few minutes ago. It doesn't make him a bad person, it just made him a bad leader that had potential to grow into the role.

Agreed. There's nothing malicious about Gorman. Just incompetence. He just wasn't the right man for the job.

Though you have to wonder about the entire Colonial Marine system which would promote such a candidate.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Would Ripley have qualified for/gotten a field commission?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Biplane posted:

Thinking About Bill Paxton (the Actor) :smith:

"How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fish of hemp posted:

Well Drake seems to be a kind of guy who would get in to bar fights just for fun.

AKA your typical Colonial Marine.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Alien issue of what?

Burke got his DNA sample I assume

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You know, Burke, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them loving each other over for a goddamn percentage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd love to write a whole novel about Newt. About her world and how she sees the world. About her finding Ripley...