Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

i mean, getting a live host out would be significantly easier, i'd think?

lay them down face-down on a bed or table with their head hanging off. very carefully sever the tail at the base, making sure to avoid splashing the host's neck with any blood, because a facehugger's danger response is to coil tighter, which could strangle the host. sever the legs one by one similarly, then grab the nodules on the back side, pull, and sever the proboscis when you see it emerge (making sure to leave enough slack that you won't burn the host with acid, if possible). then just pull the proboscis out, x-ray to make sure there's no successful embryo, and voila, you have a much nicer breakfast that won't be interrupted by your crew member exploding into gore.

Too much like hard work, no one wants that acid going anywhere. Just prep for surgery, wait for the facehugger to finish then immediately remove the embryo. It worked for Judge Dredd and that guy was pushing 60 by that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

BiggerBoat posted:

Alien: Isolation is as good as I remember and just looks and sounds loving amazing but, man, I forgot how long it takes until you actually first see the Xeno.

Your first time playing it, you don't know that though. I remember feeling a lot of tension and hearing weird noises on my initial run but now, knowing where the alien is scripted to appear, it was kind of a slog. Also, gently caress that bug in the intro that doesn't let you take off. Apparently, I forgot to take a loving shower but the game wasn't telling me that and and I wound up on the bridge with a bunch of crew just standing there and wondering what I did wrong so I reset.

Apparently I smelled too bad but people were too embarrassed to tell me.

How do you mean? The only requirements are to sign in, get dressed, talk to Samuels, talk to Taylor then pick up the briefing notes. The shower is usable but you're never *required* to use it.

You could write an essay about the way A:I is both absolute genius and brutally out of step with modern audiences and game design, especially regarding how subtle it is regarding objects and objectives (god help anyone who has ADHD, and your average 360 twirling no scoper is pretty much a no hoper as they're going to miss every item and cue). It makes for a fascinating title to see folks LP for the first time because it commits so many 'sins' by modern standards and that, combined with the anxiety it can cause, gets players in a hell of a state wandering about like lambs to the slaughter. It's also hilarious that given red barrels have been a staple of games for decades, almost no one ever picks up on the fact you can get the Alien to sod off for a bit by shooting a gas cannister near it for a pipe bomb effect.

There's a Swiss guy who speedruns it on Nightmare constantly and has been trying it out with a number of horrible mods - 2 Aliens, 4 Aliens, 5 Aliens, a super aggressive Alien that becomes active everywhere immediately after Axel's death (yup, you have to find somewhere to hide while waiting for the transit). Even cut scenes aren't safe so the smoke bombs have a use at last.

The amazing thing to me was finding out the dreaded Medical section can be done in about 30 seconds flat, or that you can (on Med/Hard anyway) drive it away with the shotgun.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Biplane posted:

Link the swiss alien speedrunner please that sounds amazing.

Here you go. The chat goes a bit overboard with meme poo poo at times, if that kind of thing annoys you but the vid should give you an idea of how utterly buttclenchingly hellish/hilarious it is with 3 of the bastards prowling around and dropping/climbing out of vents while you're trying to avoid another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQSf-M9CcDk

@Biggerboat: Pretty sure those things are just flavour, no need to smack 'em or anything.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

A few days ago I was watching Isolation on Twitch. I don't think it's possible for me to play that game.

Watching some streamers can be entertaining in the same way in the same way as an actual slasher flick - when a cocky, obnoxious guy first gets the flamethrower and they're all "Awwwww hell yeah, Imma go gently caress it up now!" and first time they meet it, they drive it away and think they're unstoppable...

..meanwhile, you're just looking at the 225/500 on the fuel gauge of this item that's supposed to last them the next few hours, and which is already more than half gone after a single encounter.
:getin:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

BiggerBoat posted:

So (Alien: Isolation) I'm in the reactor core basement part where the facehuggers first show up and alien reappears and I'm a little confused.

Is that the same creature, a different one or is that just never explained? I read and listened to the logs where it says that preserve the specimen is the primary objective but how the gently caress did the alien get all the way down there? In my head, I'm thinking of it as a different creature but I guess the robots and the computers could have broken contain and allowed her down to build a nest.

Really cool to see the face huggers show up. I never made it that far on my first run and, man, that level is creepy as poo poo. Very unnerving.

In a nutshell, the most logical conclusion is:

Marlow's wife/patient zero either gave birth to a queen, or a normal Alien who egg-morphed some of its early victims. They took up residence in the reactor and predictable results ensued over the days that followed. The one you try to trap in the Systech Spire and is ultimately sealed/doomed in the ejected lab is just one that's hanging out there. It's possible the one in the SciMed tower was a different one entirely who took a nap for a few hours, and where you are now you've released a bunch of others who were sealed in the reactor/content to chill out there until they had to GTFO from the purge.

And yes, the Joes around Apollo/Engineering are wearing protective gear, hence their immunity to your electrical stuff.

Never has a game felt so wrong for unlocking areas - every time Amanda opens a brace or sealed vent, or cuts open an access panel, I can't help but think "yo, all this poo poo was sealed up for a reason lady..."

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The Zombie Guy posted:

If your M.O. is to throw a flare or noisemaker, and scoot in the other direction, the Alien will eventually wise up, and actively search for you away from where the distraction is.

:stare:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
FAO any masochists out there who thought A:I wasn't unsettling enough already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJSAeCsUfXU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

mllaneza posted:

I've taken to watching reaction videos of people watching Alien and Aliens for the first time. It's a lot of fun watching them hit the jump scares and generally get more and more creeped out.

Same, it's particularly great with Alien where they're yelling about letting the ground crew back on the ship and cheering Ripley sticking to quarantine...then Ash opens the airlock and they can't fathom it. Until later on when all becomes clear.

See also "wtf is she doing, leave the drat ca-"/glances over to their own cat and immediately feels guilty

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Xenomrph posted:

The book The Weyland Yutani Report handwaves this by saying that when planning the Prometheus mission, Vickers specifically picked the dumbest motherfuckers she could find in order to sabotage her father’s pet project out of spite. :v:

Honestly, I'd say a handwave's not even necessary. If the last 5 years have taught us anything, it's that dumb motherfuckers can be found in any and all walks of life, from top to bottom. Every slasher film, every zombie flick, every space craft crewed by complete muppets...it's all believable now. All of it.

Gentle Autist posted:

i don’t think anyone should be surprised by the dumbasses on the prometheus after the last 4 years in america

Exactamundo.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
poo poo man, there's only 3 of them left now. Yaphet was great in just about everything I saw him in, loved him in Midnight Run especially.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Dental patient lol.

Yaphet was in Freddy's Dead!

Also I think I might install Aliens: CM and try it out again. I've never played MP or any of the DLC I don't think. I doubt I'll do MP, if it is still active even.

If you must torture yourself so, at least remember to do the .ini or whatever fix for the spelling mistake that makes the Alien AI as dumb as rocks.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Here's a double page with the head of the 'family':

Might just be the fevered dreamings of the narrator character though.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Xenomrph posted:

Interesting that it doesn’t reference Alien Isolation. Also, Resurrection takes place in 2381 so that movie simply hasn’t happened yet.

Maybe by the time Mandy finally makes it somewhere safe she decides to take a vow of silence on the whole fuckin' thing so no one else knows.

"What happened to Sevastopol? Where's the crew of the Torrens?"
"I wish I knew. I bumped my head, can't remember a goddamn thing. Honest."

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Applewhite posted:

Does it track the mic so if you’re muttering “ohshitohshit” to yourself, the alien finds you?

No better way to celebrate Spring and Summer than cowering in a locker while the Big Chap stomps about then suddenly rips the door of its hinges and tears your face off because you have allergies and just sneezed IRL.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Vagabundo posted:

Plus it’s nowhere near as blatant as Neil Marshall’s Doomsday, where there’s an extended sequence that’s almost a 1:1 remake of the scene where Ripley drives the APC into and then out of the nest - all you have to do is replace the Xenos with Scottish people.

I love how Doomsday is such a shameless love letter to all Marshall's favourites - it opens with an EFNY style Carpenter font 'NOW', the lead is a Lara Croft/Snake Plissken mash up who has to break into the sealed off quarantine zone; after a tense foray into an eerie, lifeless Glasgow, the feral, lawless Scotch survivors descend on them like Aliens in a hive; then they escape into the highlands into a weird feudal Mad Max 2. It's like a mad 80s thriller mixtape of a film.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

I liked The Predator. Fight me.

I just saw it's on TV right now and that reminded me of it. The Rotten Tomatoes rating it shows is 33%. Which I would expect from a Predator movie. I think it was the cast that sold me. Plus, I'm super lenient with movies because I find enjoyment with almost all that I watch. There's only a handful of movies that I just had to stop watching.

I finally saw it last week after just not bothering due to how bad the synopsis was and it was surprisingly watchable. It reminded me of Batman Returns: kinda bad in terms of being a traditional Batman/Predator film but weird enough to be interesting as its own thing. I have no idea why Shane Black decided to make ‘Predator vs The Dream Team’ but it was such an refreshingly odd and unexpected choice that I kinda respect. The final act was the least interesting but I did love the Pred near enough saying “okay fuckos, I’m gonna give you a head start then you’re all hosed”. People were dying so fast I didn’t even catch what happened to the CIA shithead.

Is that story about wanting Ripley and Newt in the pod at the end true? Because I feel like that would have been hilarious and much better than what we did get.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Don’t be disingenuous - quote the entire sentence. Cherry picking a couple of words devoid of their context is Shithead 101.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

So good.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Class Warcraft posted:

I'm laughing at the suggestions of Burke as some sort of master manipulator and planner. He's a mid-level corporate sleezeball whose short-sighted plans backfire spectacularly.

Same, he's worthless middle-management trash pinballing from one gently caress up to another moment to moment.

Also, Bishop is pure and good, I will not accept any slander against him.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Has there ever been a good prequel?

Temple of Doom is the best I can come up with, and most people fuckin hate that movie.

Fast 5

:colbert:

Also Better Call Saul if we're including TV.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
That Isolation speedrunner guy was sent a horrific new mod tor try: no items bar the access tuner and cutting torches, and 2 aliens that can drop at any time after leaving Seegson Communications. One bit in the Gemini Labs was ridiculous, he was cornered by both, hiding behind the shelves near the ladder. One of them kept looking around before deciding to check out the other side of the shelves, and he only managed to escape because the other one was busy 3ft away looking under the desk he decided not to hide under.

Christ knows how he’s going to get through the reactor later.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

MrMojok posted:

I quoted a couple of parts of the Alien Resurrection novel a couple of years back in the other thread. It is... not good.

The writing is bad but I won't lie, I kinda dig the basic idea behind it. I'm a sucker for familiar things taking odd directions so a queen who's bored out of her loving mind by the human twerps in front of her, and a warrior who's likewise able to read and looking forward to making some shithead scientist's life a misery very much floats my boat, even if it does dilute/go against the Alien-ness of it all.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Bishop was already all the way at the upload tower when the facehuggers are freed. Ripley even sees him off as he gets into the tunnel, then - depending which version you're watching - the second set of sentry guns are attacked/Hicks shows Ripley how to handle a pulse rifle, then she goes off to catch a nap with Newt.

It was all just Burke. Everyone else (all 4 of them) would have been in Ops, he just needs to slip away for a couple of minutes to move the canisters, loosen the lids so the fluid starts spilling out when laid down and the critters can get traction before getting the hell out.

Re: Gibson's version, I do really like the idea of its take on a big 'chest' burster scene, with Wells realising something's wrong, having a kind of mental lockup as the process completes then just screaming into screeching as the Alien tears off her clothes and skin to break out from her repurposed shell. It's basically The Thing if all it could turn into was an Alien but no less horrific a concept for it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Isn't the main reason the Burke scene was cut because Cameron realised it was nonsensical? Burke's grabbed, dragged back to the hive, cocooned, implanted, regains conscious and can feel it moving in under 40 minutes. Even considering the AvPs and Covenant's screwed up pump & dump facehuggers, that's a ludicrously short time scale.

Besides, the place is toast in 10 minutes anyway, he just needs to stick it out a little longer, no point in wasting a grenade on his dumb rear end.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Although that previous pic looks like the xeno is about to have a cigarette. Or is bored waiting for the school bus to come.

Someone should 'shop on some Adidas stripes, and stick a wall carpet behind him.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Improbable Lobster posted:

These are the ones i'm talking about

The mouth on this guy makes it look nerdy and gormless as gently caress. Its like Urkel got facehugged or something.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Oh lovely - some lone madman seems to have taken it upon themselves to make an Isolation style demo...at Hadley's Hope. Looks like it'll let you choose one of three doomed bastards as things start to descend into Hell. Aesthetically, it's a lot gaudier, in part due to the colony being much better lit, and the character models aren't great but eh, if nothing else it looks like it could be neat to wander around the colony building, explore the (non flooded) sub level maintenance shafts, etc.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

happyhippy posted:

Link please.
One of my 'omg Im so going to make this myself but most likely never will' game is a VR of distinctive movie locations.
No enemies to fight, just minimal, its all atmosphere.
And Hadley's Hope pre and post would be one such level. Pre-invasion so you can hear all the beeps and bloops and kids playing etc. Post is you doing it with a tracker and instructions on what to look at.

Here you go, old bean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v215KSbeuBU

Be warned - it is far from polished, dodgy animations, really quite janky and rough in spots, oh and all the dialogue is in Russian. Yet it still manages to do a decent job of delivering the atmosphere regardless.

It doesn't look like there's a tracker so you're just pootling about the sub-level maintenance tunnels making GBS threads yourself waiting for the inevitable. Before viewing this, I always thought I wanted a Newt's Tale type game. Now I'm firmly in the gently caress THAT camp, Isolation was bad enough for my nerves. Give me a Modern Warfare C-130 style game where I can just nuke all the bastards from orbit, yo, I'll fracture my thumb spamming the Fire button.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Still thinking about Alien, mainly because I had a loving horrendous dream last night where every room in my house had Sevastopol style vents in the ceiling and the big chap kept dropping down to take a look. Strangely, I seemed to be having a party or something because loads of people were also there but I guess they must all be androids because it ignored them all and kept looking for me, cowering behind the sofa and a laundry rack.

Just once I'd like to have a chilled out, relaxing dream sitting in a field on a sunny day having a picnic with Karen Gillan or something but nooooo, it's the big chap at least 75% of the time.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Thinking About Aliens (the movie) the Nerf gun

That's so ludicrous it almost loops back round to being good. But where's my smart gun, you tat peddlers?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Darke GBF posted:

sitting here just thinking about how Aliens is better than Alien in literally every possible way. Aliens is even a better horror movie than Alien lol

Funny, I’m pretty much the opposite opinion entirely these days - Alien is art, Aliens is merely a good time, something for the kids.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I dunno about J&tA, Sinbad et al that's probably just on the wrong side of the line as far as timelessness goes. Clash of the Titans still mostly holds up for me though, the Medusa sequence is just stellar and the stop motion just adds to the sense of wrongness.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The Alien is a horrific design and I’m fascinated by it but it’s never been close to my most scary. My mom would often let me watch horror films with her from about 5 onwards. First the really old RKO and later Hammer stuff, then (thanks to a friend of hers who had access to a video store) late 70s/early 80s stuff Q, The Winged Serpent, An American Werewolf In London, etc.

The only things from this period that really scared me was some Chris Lee Dracula sequel where he looked so scary to 5/6 year old me I associated the scene with an ad break for cider immediately after and was put off cider for life, and Tobe Hooper’s Salem’s Lot Tv series. Danny loving Glick in his coffin and Mike the Gravedigger in the old man’s rocking chair - gently caress THAT.

As for Alien, I caught the end of it on TV around 7 or 8 and it freaked me out, I was practically hallucinating afterwards. A few years later, a video game magazine did an article on an upcoming Aliens game by Electric Dreams and the mag cover was amazing - they sculpted an Alien head bursting through a door. I was obsessed, I’d never seen anything like it and spent the next six or seven months nagging our local video store almost every day asking is it out yet. I’d skim through chapters of the novelisation in bookstores to tide me over until the blessed day it finally released on video.

Been thinking about them Aliens a way too long, man.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

From the Star Wars pictures thread:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Thinking About Aliens (the movie) getting their asses kicked by Darth Vader

Now I wanna see what kind of force sensitive nightmare results from Anakin getting 'hugged.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
YouTube suggested some silly video with a ‘working’ Pulse Rifle at a shooting range. The mag only holds 20 rounds and the grenade launcher was a shotgun. And the firing noise was lame af, standard bang-bang poo poo.
0/5

Also, lmbo at smoothbrained nitpicking podcasters who get hung up on dumb poo poo like the chestburster growing so fast - it’s [Keyes]A loving ALIEN[/Keyes] unlike anything humanity has ever encountered, it doesn’t have to play by man’s simple understanding of the universe.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Sunswipe posted:

What did you expect?

Something full auto at least, it was just single shots at a time! And only 20 rounds? Disgusting, try harder, gun nerds!

He didn't even try making 'brrrrrrrrrrpp-brrrrrrrrrrrp' noises through his lips, it was a shameful display.
:colbert:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Re: Special vs Theatrical

Hah, just had this debate with some friends the other day. If it were up to me, I'd ditch *everything* from the SE except the scene with Ripley and Burke discussing Amanda, and the extra dialogue it provides for the Newt bedside chat later. The colony scenes are completely unnecessary and look kinda cheap and crappy, Hudson's dropship speech doesn't add anything (we already know he's an rear end in a top hat braggart in for a rude awakening), the motion tracker/hamster scene adds nothing, Hudson's guess about the queen removes any mystery by basically being a big neon 'FORESHADOWING HERE' sign...

..and as for the sentry guns, yeah they are fun. But they also just hammer home the sense that the Aliens are more or less barely intelligent bugs now, a lot of their ambiguity is gone. The ambush is cooler in the theatrical because I know they haven't just been getting themselves killed in the dozens trying to break in, they just cut the power and waltz right in there saying "gently caress your barricades". Cameron's sin is that he lessens the creature, makes it just a bunch of glorified bugs akin to mundane real world insects, and the sentry guns are the worst example of this.

As for the deleted Burke scene, it never made sense so I'm glad it was cut. In under 30 minutes he's caught, dragged all the way back to the hive, cocooned, impregnated, regains conscious and can feel it moving around? Nah. That's poo poo is for the likes of the AvP flicks.

Aliens is still a drat enjoyable film but I greatly prefer the lean, mean killing machine of the Theatrical over its flabbier SE brethren.

Oh and another minus point for Aliens is taking out Frost *and* Apone inside of a minute of each other. Kinda lame.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I've heard very good things about the Archie vs Predator story, maybe they should wrap up the TV show with an adaptation of that.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Iron Crowned posted:

James Cameron really needs to hurry up and complete his Avatar bullshit so that I can get Aliens on UHD. I've still got that ancient special edition DVD which has all of that. It's been so long since I've seen the theatrical cut, I forgot how much was added :negative:

Maybe my eyes are a bit hosed but the I thought the Bluray looked great in terms of detail, is a UHD really necessary? That said, I’ve not seen the new Alien release some have been going gaga for.

Dunno, I just find it all diminishing returns a bit. I saw Godzilla v Kong at both 1080 and 4k and couldn’t really tell the difference. It doesn’t feel like the jumps that VHS to DVD to Bluray was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Makes some sense, but to me doesn't really gel with stating that as a military mission, Cpl Hicks is now in charge.

What's the point of an officer commission without any authority?

Ah well, I guess I'm reading in to it too much.

Also completed watching The Third Film in the Alien/Aliens franchise and still found it thoroughly enjoyable despite being the theatrical cut. Would have loved to see some of the opportunities if Hicks had survived the crash and was around to clash with the CO, win the begrudging respect of the inmates and rally a defence/hold out etc.

Burke/W-Y wanted her to accompany them and the Marines in an advisory capacity as they weren't entirely sure what they were getting into. She doesn't have any authority over the military but she is a commercial flight officer and getting her flight status back and a promotion makes sense. Same way that the captain of a civilian aircraft is a captain but not necessarily a military one.

In an ideal world, they'd get out there, everything would be fine, she'd go back to Earth and get a new job on a freighter as XO or something.