Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Somehow missed this thread until now! Currently playing Aliens: Fireteam and thinking about playing some Aliens board game later :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It’s fun! 2 players feels a little easy, unless you let Ash loose. I think it would shine at 3 players?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

I always thought it'd be funny if someone cracked open Alien: Isolation and replaced the xeno models with a giant housecat.

Jonesy! :kimchi:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Eomer vs. Predator

:colbert:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

My 11 year old niece saw alien and aliens recently for the first time, scared the poo poo out of her :unsmith:

The alien itself never bothered me as a kid, aside from the duct scene. What actually bothered me with the scene interrogating Ash’s head, that one stuck with me for forever and I didn’t even realize where it came from until I rewatched Alien last year.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The alien put on a hat and started singing and dancing

NOT AGAIN!! :cry:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I always forget the sheer size of the Nostromo. The crew area was small-ish, sure, but the entire ship itself was the size of a goddamned mountain :stare:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

:stwoon:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rappaport posted:

This seems like a self-solving problem, somehow.

Also thanks for the story about Boris :)

Yea they just fulfill their purpose then crawl off to be alone for a little bit in peaceful oblivion.

They’re not alone in their oblivion for very long, though 😇

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Played Another Glorious Day in the Corps with a friend a few days ago. Newt and Frost got dragged off to get cocooned:

And Vazquez…well…

https://i.imgur.com/b3uZ1mq.gifv

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’m stuck wondering how different Star Wars would’ve been if Yaphet Kotto had been cast as Lando, instead of Billy Dee.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Zombie Guy posted:

Lawrence Fishburn's character in Event Horizon was ready to GTFO as soon as he realized they had gotten more than they'd bargained for. Too bad the ship didn't want to let them go.

He was going to nuke the Event Horizon until he ran out of missiles, or there was nothing big enough to target.

It’s the only way to be sure.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I think there was a xenomorph dog in Alien 3

Depends on the version :colbert:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I saw an interview with Paul Reiser from a while back, where he knew he played Burke as a perfect slimeball. His evidence? His own mom said “yea, Burke deserved what happened to him, sorry about it son!” :laffo:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It’s a horror film, and the true monster was on screen a ton.

it was Ash, and the scene where they interrogated his head haunted me as a kid more than anything the alien ever did :cry:

As opposed to the alien, who got like 10-15 seconds here and there.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Idk if it was here or from my buddy that loving loves Aliens, but Another Glorious Day in the Corps is getting a reprint! I also heard rumor of new missions and Ferro/Spunkmeyer possibly being added too, but i don’t remember much more.

https://www.gf9games.com/aliens/1690/theyre-back/

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

Sadly, it is a terrible game with massively over-complex systems for just shooting guns at aliens, and every mission is just grinding, loving *grinding*, through a wall of aliens towards the exit.

As do I, and I actually enjoy it. Playing it isn’t a slog like playing the Doom 2016 board game :v:

Weapon ranges? Card-based activation order? Random effects played by the invader? Card-based defense system whose icons do different things for different demons? It’s all there :suicide:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

Now that's a game that's good as hell, and very well designed in all ways. Knowing that exists, in as good a form as it is, makes the Aliens game much more frustrating. Comparable components, but the rules... *sigh*

That was FFG at their peak with Star Wars. They also had a Doom 2016 board game that was a ton of fun, but it only ever had the one release and never got any expansions.

There’s a hybrid system sometime between IA, Doom, and Another Glorious Day. They’re all iterations on the same basic dungeon crawler, hell I even used IA models in Doom. Boba Fett was my Doom Slayer :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Happy Aliens day, y’all :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

Pay the Jonesy tax.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There’s already a starship troopers RTS. Came out last summer, I think? It’s…middling. Not offensively bad and had a few cool mechanics, but it’s just not that great.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

MrMojok posted:

Everyone drops

Everyone fights

Everyone shitposts

NEVER RETREAT

NEVER DELETE!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Looks like business is slow. :(

Idk, could be bursting with success :twisted:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

I guess Isolation ruined me in so much that I now have zero interest in any game that treats them like overgrown cockroaches to be mowed down by oorah’ing grunts.

Did you mean Fireteam? That’s the exact opposite of what happens in Isolation.

:gonk::cry:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

Why would I mean Fireteam? It's precisely because Isolation was so nerve racking and the creature almost impervious to all at your disposal that anything that's just brapbrapbrapbrapbrap [a dozen aliens explode showering you with blood barely more irritating than drain cleaner] bores the poo poo out of me. I crave tension, not mindless cannon fodder.

I think I misread your post, my bad. I’m still gonna buy Dark Descent because I’m thinking about that game (and therefore Aliens) a lot :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea part of the story pre-Aliens 3 (I think?) is that the Sulaco drifted through the space of the Union of Progressive Peoples, and being a USCM vessel they were royally pissed about it.

e: might’ve been part of the story in Colonial Marines? Never played that though, so not entirely sure.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 28, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Loving Dark Descent so far :) I love the way ammo, stress, and alien activity all play into extracting vs pushing through to complete an objective. It’s close enough to XCOM to scratch that same itch, but still enough space to make it feel like it’s own thing.

Seriously hoping for some DLC sooner or later, I’ll buy it embarassingly fast.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I still haven’t hung around to see the hive get enraged yet, as soon as the alien difficulty gets halfway into medium I’m looking for an exit. Usually by that point everyone is stressed to hell anyways, they’ve been thinking about surviving aliens for too long :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea I’ve had marines that were well on the way to becoming Vader himself. Their prosthetics are brutally functional, nothing pretty about them (much like the things the marines already say to each other :v: )

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Drake, because I’ve had some dumb as gently caress moments in my life :laffo:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Thinking about Alien instead of Aliens, and painting up the crew for the board game Flight of the Nostromo :unsmith:

Dallas is the only model left to work on, I’ll get to him later today :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Still thinkin’ about Aliens, as I finished painting all the models for the Fate of the Nostromo game :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mad Hamish posted:

These are fabulous but....where's Jonesy?

He’s not a model in the game, but he can scare the poo poo out of whoever encounters him bad enough to do morale damage :laffo:

He’s on the backside of certain encounter tokens, and one of the potential final missions is rescuing him :3:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

Prey was not good

Prey was too good to be a made-for-TV movie, but as a theatrical release probably wouldn’t have done so hot. As it stands, I loved it for how brutal it portrayed the Predator.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

redshirt posted:

Is this non America Disney+? I don't see it listed.

It was on Hulu in the US.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I loved Gorman’s mini-arc. At the first briefing you wouldn’t have really expected him to go back in for Vas like that. Vas was even the one saying “we don’t leave our people behind!” about Apone/Dietrich after they got carted off to become parents, and he lived up to that in the end.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

edogawa rando posted:

At the end of the day, Gorman's biggest failings were that he was lacking in experience which made him overcompensate by being such a stickler for formality and rules, and that he lacked the ability to think flexibly on his feet, e.g., him overcomplicating instructions to Apone over the radio, and freezing under pressure when poo poo was really hitting the fan at an even greater rate than it was a few minutes ago. It doesn't make him a bad person, it just made him a bad leader that had potential to grow into the role.

Probably helped by Al Matthews being a former marine, William Hope loving nailed the “inexperienced LT in over his head” role.

I love that he came back to be the voice of Marshal Waits in Alien: Isolation too :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

MrMojok posted:

It’s pretty much in keeping with real life in the USMC, and from what I understand, the Army.

Officers go to college for four years to get their degree, then go to Officers Candidate School, and later something called The Basic School. At least this was how it was when I was in the USMC.

Anyway, a second Lieutenant comes out of this with a senior rank to all enlisted people, but in reality they usually don’t know much more than a Lance Corporal (E-3 on the enlisted rank scale)

For infantry, he’s usually going to be assigned as a platoon leader, like Gorman. The smart ones will cozy up to the platoon sergeant, who will be an enlisted man with 10+ years of service, and knows a lot more.

Some of them wind up being really good, after this tutelage. Some don’t.

This tracks with the army too. It’s a commissioning source (west point, ROTC, or OCS), then the infantry officer course, then airborne school and a shot at ranger school. You’ll arrive to your unit extremely well-trained (like Gorman and his 38 simulated drops), but you’re still a brand new lieutenant who hasn’t spent a day in a unit that actually deploys yet.

Gorman wasn’t a stereotype; he was the real loving deal. Al Matthews had to have some hand in that, dude was as marine as they come. He was the first Black marine to earn a battlefield promotion to sergeant, dude was a marine through and through.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

This mild derail about military officer culture is fascinating, thanks. I have a question in that vein: BattleMaster mentioned that COs "don't get promoted up from private." Is there any precedent at all in existing militaries for an enlisted person to become an officer via field promotion? Or even if they display exemplary skill and knowledge, do they have to get sent to officer school first?

Battlefield promotions are a thing, but exceedingly rare. Audie Murphy got one from staff sergeant (E6) to lieutenant (O1), but the man had also earned every/nearly every combat commendation that the US army had to offer during that time, so he’s a bit of an outlier :v:

He stayed in theater and continued doing what got him that promotion in the first place (killing nazis).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It was in one of the comics (I think?), that Hudson had previously been a corporal before punching an officer (maybe Gorman’s predecessor?). Details are fuzzy, I can’t remember where I saw that.