Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Adam Warren, the guy who does Empowered, contributed to a zine that cataloged bath and shower scenes in anime and manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

site posted:

is empowered a webcomic or something cuz tbh i hadnt acutally heard of it until just now

Published in real books and everything. it started off as a series of commissioned superhero in bondage pieces that he strung together with a plot, and eventually he turned it into a real narrative series about an aspiring superhero who fucks up a lot

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Between Sunstone and Empowered, I'd think that significantly higher percentage of the people reading Empowered actually read all the word bubbles

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Madkal posted:

I stopped reading WicDiv ages ago (really couldn't get into it or care for any of the characters) but it seems like the issue with modern readings is that if you have a villain portrayed with any empathy, or show a story from their view some people immediately assume that the author is being supportive of the villain and their outlook. It is such a shallow reading and really can go a long way to stopping writers from making villains that are 3 dimensional rather than stock villains.

In fairness, comic book readers have been trained to see that coming. It seems like every comic book villain who isn't an outright mustache twirling evil for the sake of evil monster ends up becoming an anti-hero or a straight-up good guy, at least for a little while.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Apropos of our previous discussion about American food comics, I read a couple American food comics. the first was Voracious volume 1

Voracious volume 1 is terrible. The premise is a restaurant where they us a time machine to get dinosaur meat and serve it to their customers. What do you think the very first page of a comic like that would be? That's right, the very first page is a guy watching helplessly as his sister burns to death in a kitchen fire! And then it goes on for quite some time about how the guy moved back home and has depression because his sister burned to death, and then a long time setting up how he gets a time machine and why he only uses it to go back to dinosaur time. I guess they thought the reader who bought a comic about eating dinosaurs would think it was too silly if it jumped right into the dinosaur stuff.

Eventually it does finally get around to eating dinosaurs. You're thinking, alright, it gets into how different dinosaurs taste and how to prepare them, using what we know about the diets and behaviors of dinosaurs and how to cook and eat their bird descendants, right? T-rex is like a really gamey emu but it makes a great stew! Compsognathus is like a more flavorful pheasant! That's what you'd expect, right? Wrong. Dinosaurs taste really good. That's it, that's literally the entire total of the extent Voracious, the comic about cooking dinosaurs, gets into on cooking and eating dinosaurs. They all taste the same apparently. Dude goes back in time, kills any random dinosaur, brings it back, uses it as the sole source of meat for his restaurant, and when he runs out he goes back and gets a different dinosaur.

What makes it worse is that the complete lack of any culinary discussion of the dinosaurs makes the fact that the guy can only get over his dead sister depression by killing dinosaurs and secretly serving them to unsuspecting patrons insane. He's not discovering a whole new realm of cuisine heretofore unavailable to any human cook, he's just a psychopath with a time machine. There are no cooking scenes, where you seem him trying new stuff and going step by step through different recipes. No, you only see him interacting with the dinosaurs when he's killing and butchering them. And when his customers eat the dinosaurs, you don't see them experiencing the food, you just them them thanking the guy for a delicious meal. Which really makes it stand out how unethical it is that he's serving them dinosaur meat without their knowledge.

And through all this the guy's grandma starts having seizures and there's a soldier with PTSD, and it's all as terribly out of place in a time travel dinosaur eating comic as the first page was. And the guy gets a love interest, a woman who uses words like "foodgasm" and "kicksplosion" because she's quirky.

The final few pages of the first volume set up that the second volume is going to be about super advanced dinosaurs from an alternate timeline future tracking the guy down for killing their ancestors. The comic is so stupid, it implies that every dinosaur he kills in the past equals one descendant dinosaur vanishing in the future. Just one.

gently caress Voracious.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The second American food comic I read was Anthony Bourdain's Hungry Ghosts. This one turned out to also not be a food comic, but a series of short horror stories. But it wasn't bad. It's an anthology so some of the stories are better than others, and some of the EC Comics style twists didn't really make a ton of sense. A guy refuses to give food to a starving man, so he gets torn in half by a giant skeleton. Fair enough. But the art overall was really good and helped sell the spookiness.

Hungry Ghosts is pretty good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Skwirl posted:

I just read Won Ton Soup. You should read Won Ton Soup

I should, I really like James Stokoe.

Alaois posted:

you'd think it'd be fairly easy to find out before reading that Voracious isn't actually a food comic but gently caress man, that's just beyond me

To be fair to me, none of the comics that I was recommended as food comics in the previous thread really looked like food comics.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Are there any American comics about physical fitness?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drat, it's super out of print and very expensive online.

Archyduchess posted:

How wide a net are you casting? There's a young adult series from Boom! about highschool fencing that I haven't read.

I mean specifically focusing on physical fitness, not really sports except as an extension of that. It can have other elements, of course, like how Stretch is both a lesbian romance and an informative look at the benefits and importance of stretching.

site posted:

That medusa sex joke, oof

That's not necessarily a sex joke. She has very long, very voluminous hair. She's probably always getting it caught on things or stepped on.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

X-O posted:

Well she usually fights with it by wrapping it around people and pulling things. So I think that's clearly what they're going for there.

Can Medusa feel stuff through her hair? If she accidentally hits something with her hair does it hurt like when you stub your toe?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gavok posted:

The 90'sness of Marvel vs. DC off the top of my head:

- Emphasis on Lobo and Jubilee

They should bring this back

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I read Wonder Woman The True Amazon. Was there supposed to be more to it? Was it supposed to be like an "Ultimate Wonder Woman" type thing? Because it would work really well as a setup for a separate continuity Wonder Woman series. But as a thing by itself it's just weird. Giving Wonder Woman personality flaws is a really good idea, but The True Amazon is just all origin, it doesn't show how those flaws would effect her as a superhero or how she would struggle with and overcome them. And it doesn't work as an alternate origin because the character that would come out of it is very different from any portrayal of Wonder Woman I've ever read. So I'm left with the feelings of "What's the point of this?" and "I wish there was more of this" at the same time.

The art was really good though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Skwirl posted:

It was published under the DC label at first. They didn't create the Vertigo imprint until 1993, Hellblazer started in '88. I imagine they didn't want the F word popping up in a book that shared publisher labeling with Batman and Superman.

Wasn't there a Btaman comic a couple years back where the Riddler sewed a bunch of people together? It's crazy the amount of violence that they're cool with but swear words are still unacceptable.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I read Wonder Woman/Conan. It's good, but somewhat frustrating.

At the start, Wonder Woman has lost her memories and powers. And she looks exactly like an Amazon princess Conan knew as a child. So she just slots right into the Hyborian Age. There's no fish-out-of-water or culture clash stuff, the stuff you'd expect from a Wonder Woman meets Conan story. It's just a Conan story. A good Conan story, but still.

When Wonder Woman's memories start coming back she gets more Wonder Womany, some more Amazons show up, and it's awesome, it becomes what I wanted/expected from the beginning. But by that point there's only a couple issues left.

The art by Matt Ryan is good, that dude draws good beefcake of both genders.

Overall I really did enjoy it but you should go in knowing it's much more Conany than Wonder Womany

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's one of his most fun and approachable works. It's worth a shot if you're blah on GMo.

Seaguy is not fun. Seaguy makes The Filth look upbeat and optimistic

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Roth posted:

I think I'm really disconnected from the average comics fans, because all the Grant Morrison fans I know are artsy trans women that love Doom Patrol, Flex Mentallo, and All-Star Superman.

It's a bad tweet thread

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Can you guys help me identify a webcomic I read ages ago? All I can remember is an aside about sports gear. There was this shoulder and arm guard thing thing that was advertised for "you drat well know what". Which was referring to an underground sport that was legally considered a form of assault, so they couldn't mention the name in advertising.

As I said, this was an aside, not part of the actual plot of the comic, of which I remember nothing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'd honestly assume that at least half of all the jokes in Twisted Toyfair Theater are offensive.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Marie Kondo is a lady who tells people that they could improve their lives by de-cluttering their homes. She wrote a very successful book and manga, and is the host of a popular TV program.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Rhyno posted:

Oh jesus, what did Doctor Zoidberg do?

CharlestheHammer is referencing Jordan Peterson, a guy who combines basic self-help advice with reactionary politics and discredited evolutionary psychology. The lobster thing is in reference to Peterson's claims that lobsters are solitary creatures who must fight for their space on the sea floor, and all human relations work the same way.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CapnAndy posted:

I don't approve. Pose your fuckin' dudes! Get a tableau going on! Those guys are all waiting for the bus, apart from Thor, who sticks out like a sore thumb because he's actually doing something interesting.

Those all look like they have 5 points articulation. There's not much posing you can do with that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'd want to check owner reviews to see if it really performs as advertised, but that seems like a fantastic hose

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Making the Air Force a separate service was a massive mistake. It's not just unconstitutional, it adds a massive amount of bureaucratic bloat and inefficiency. Disband the Air Force, fold it's assets back into the Army Air Corps, and the country would be much better off.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oh boy, I can't wait to see some ex-troop dipshit Dem representing Raytheon Acres Virginia have an open and honest debate with Dan Crenshaw the pirate nazi about how best to deploy drones on our southern border. Thanks Chris.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Splint Chesthair posted:

I found out today that after calling him "Captain Thunder" didn't work, CC Beck wanted to call the character "Captain Marvelous." His editor went back and shortened it in all the word balloons in Whiz Comics #1. I guess "Marvelous" is still too close for comfort as a trademark, but surely that's better than saying "gently caress it, he's just called Shazam! now?" I'm constantly befuddled by DC's inability to solve that problem with the character. Just needed to get that off my chest, BSS, hi.

Captain Marvelous is a fantastic name. It's also taken.

Of course what makes it so good is that it's not his superhero name. His superhero name is Gokai Red. Captain Marvelous is just his name.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 11, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

that John Byrne guy sucks

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I wish superhero comic books weren't so interconnected. I heard about this Cosmic Ghost Rider, and thought that sounds interesting maybe I'll pick up the first volume of that. But then I realized that I don't know if I can start there. Did Cosmic Ghost Rider actually start in an event? I know he was in Guardians of the Galaxy first, should I start there? But did the current run of Guardians of the Galaxy start in an event? It's a nightmare!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I just found out that the guy who made Moon is working on a Rogue Trooper movie. That's gonna be the best comic book movie of all time

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I have seen Warcraft, but I think most if not all of it can be blamed on the fact that it's a Warcraft movie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I stopped watching the show a long time ago, did Agents of SHIELD ever reference the thing from Guardians of the Galaxy 2 with the big alien blob trying to eat the earth?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/tanklesbian/status/1127611507301343233

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If you don't like horizontal panels does that mean you want all comic books to be 4koma like Pop Team Epic?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

modern comics aren't horny enough to be valuable

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Have they done a story where the Punisher makes Punisher robots to kill all the criminals?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What If Wolverine Was The Death Note?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

that reminds me of the time Wolverine and Spider-man swapped bodies and Wolverine used that opportunity to pretend to be Peter and make out with high school girls.

I'm really glad the Ultimate universe got destroyed

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Covok posted:

Believe it or not but we do have rules on the book for this and this would be a sex crime. Those rules are about impersonation not body swapping but still.

Also, Ultimate Peter and Ultimate Jessica are a common pairing. Not sure what to make of that.

If there's one thing we've learned from these genderswap filters, it's that everybody wants to gently caress themselves/their friends as girls.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's weird that a comic can have a brutal beheading but not a swear word

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A parent buying an issue of Sunstone for their kids and then returning it when they find out it has swears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It feels like an odd choice to do Dark Phoenix when Cyclops and Jean Grey were only introduced in the previous movie, and even then the movie didn't really give a poo poo about them