Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Bought this game during the steam summer sale, at first just to play multiplayer with a friend who has been playing for a while. I didn't think I'd get quite so into the game as I am, factorio for example isn't to my taste. I liked space engineers but mostly build spaceships in creative.

Turns out the game has *just* enough potential for creative aesthetics to keep my interest. Before getting the game I'd mostly seen pictures of flat factories-on-endless-concrete, which is deff my friend's style of build and one of the things that makes me uninterested in stuff like Factorio. Basically if there's no area to make things artistic I have fun planning but then the building part is just tedious. Now that I've got walls and stuff it's a ton of fun for me to try to build a factory that fits into a building.

So here's my first nice complex that's not just machines on foundations:

Produces heavy modular frames and crystal oscillators at full rate, and some versatile framework with the excess. I need to go back and add windows, we didn't have those unlocked when I started. And I ran out of paint. Where should I go to harvest lots of flowers?

(It's a fuckin mess on the inside, conveyors squiggling around wherever they have space, because for some reason trying to fit everything into as compact a space possible turns me on. I'd show screenshots, but in the upper building there's nowhere to stand where you can get a good perspective on the spaghetti.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Oxyclean posted:

Holy poo poo that's really cool. I doubt I'd have the patience to pull that off because while I like to make stuff compact, I really try to make "organized" so it ends up taking up a ton of space.

is that rightmost conveyor lift functional, or just aesthetic? It contributes and odd amount to giving the building the right vibe?

The small one on the side of the upper building? Yeah, it's dropping iron plates between 2 floors. I was very annoyed when I had to resort to it because the plan was for everything to be internal, but it was either that or do a bigger tear-out. I'm glad you think it contributes, probably the paint helps a lot with that. When the walls were orange I really didn't like it, now it ain't that bad.

And all 6 of the conveyors between the 2 buildings are functional, there are actually 4 on the further one. The piers dropping conveyors between the buildings was an accidental inspiration I had at the very start. At first I thought it might just be one big building sloping down the side of those cliffs. I started by laying out foundation pad on the upper flat area, then I wanted to keep the same grid on the lower area. So I extended some arms off the side of the cliff, pillared down, and laid out the bottom pad. Then I looked up and got the idea.

Also I'm using draw.io to puzzle together the basic arrangement of stuff and rough space requirements before I build. Here's the plan for the main floor of the upper building:

(what I thought was generous extra space got filled)

Nevets posted:

Fyi the walkway pieces fit ontop of the open truss foundation pieces well, you can cover up the quarters that you arent using for lifts. Plus the fencing pieces make it look almost OSHA compliant.
Oh, good idea. Or maybe the flat walkway and the separate fence pieces, those could wrap all the way around the stack.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cojawfee posted:

Pressing x opens a menu where you can look at all the things you know how to make and all the recipes to make each one.

They really need to do what the wiki does and have "recipes that use this" included in each item's entry. When you start making computers and poo poo the chains are too complicated to keep every step in your head, especially with alt recipes. And you need the in-game codex to know which alts you've unlocked.

But right now my #1 suggestion right now is to disable clipping checks when building walls. Turns out my cool factory has a whole bunch of conveyors and merger/splitter boxes built with light wall clipping. So my plan to replace some walls with windows will be a lot more tedious than expected.

Walls are like, the most purely decorative thing in the game. They don't do anything, and you already can only build them on foundations or other walls. Let them clip. Either that or make the stuff that ignores clipping when you place it also clippable when placing other buildings.

Pen Expers posted:

You can edit your save file with the interactive map. Just load your save into it, make your changes, then press the 'Download Save" button and it'll give you a new file you can drop into the save folder. https://satisfactory-calculator.com/

We had a tractor fall through the map, and evidently there's no check to destroy vehicles when that happens like there is for people. The tractor icon was still there on the map. Loading it in the save editor the position was like -283475634 on the z axis. Easy fix.

My question is, if you leave it falling long enough does it wrap the z variable at some point and start falling from the "top" of the map?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tombot posted:

Speaking of QOL stuff, I'd like to be able to see the snap lines for fluid pipes while standing on the ground, later on it's not so bad when you can jump onto split pipe sections with your bladerunners, but when you are setting up coal for the first time it's a real pain in the rear end.

If it's not your first game, you can and should have blade runners long long before doing anything with pipes.

Like even in a hypothetical future where resources get randomized so you can't just look at a website to know where the nearest caterium is, finding one of the scattered mini-chunks to unlock scanning would be one of the first things I'd look around for. And then an expedition with some portable miners to the nearest deposit would be an early goal after I had a basic iron setup running, before even the space elevator and tier 2.

Caterium unlocks blade runners, mk 2 power poles, and smart splitters -- all really high on the QOL list. They're easy unlocks, one inventory load of ore gets you a pair of blades and a few small factories worth of power poles. That's enough to make the early game way less tedious. I wouldn't bother with smart splitters until I had coal power, but again it's high on the priority list right after.

Alkydere posted:

I find building layouts get way easier when I get height. So standing on top of another building, or one of the lookout towers they provide, does wonders.

I'd like the lookout tower base to be a bit smaller, so it would plop down in the middle of a build.

Or maybe they could make a mk 2 lookout that only attaches to foundations, has the same footprint as a splitter, is a bit taller, and has a built-in hypertube instead of a ladder. That would be cool.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Oxyclean posted:

The space elevator parts don't get used in other crafts, but I think the first two or three end up as materials for later space elevator parts, so don't dismantle the production lines.

Eh, I feel like for the first level of the space elevator it's not worth trying too hard: one assembler to make the smart plates, feed it by hand, and delete it as soon as it's done. Tier one is just a single stack of stuff, one assembler is all you need. In later stages you need a much bigger line to get stuff done in a reasonable time.

Basically while you're still constrained by biofuel power you can't run a full-width factory. You want a basic ironworks that makes reinforced plates & rotors, and some copper constructors making copper sheets and cable. Those are what you need to construct coal power plants, and the first two also make the smart plates to unlock the elevator.

But expanding a small factory into a bigger one is only easy if you plan for it in advance, which isn't likely your first game. I spend a whole bunch of hours re-working my early iron factory into an iron + steel factory, when really it would have been easier to just tear down and rebuild. Or just pick up and move to a new base that's got the resource nodes for a multi-product factory.

tl;dr it took me like 60 hours before I learned that this game's tagline should be "mustn't be afraid to scale a little bigger, darling."

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Oxyclean posted:

I thought it was a lot more effective on my second file when I just let the smart plate maker do it's thing while I was messing around with all my new toys. By the time I cared to tackle the elevator again, I had a ton of smart plates ready to go.

I guess that makes sense. You need 30 stacks of those in total for the next 2 tiers, so not much more than a storage container worth.

I also need to realize that I've been playing a lot of multiplayer with a friend, and that really changes my perspective. My friend was "in charge" of the space elevator in our MP save, and he built some factories that just ran and accumulated. I got annoyed because he left the storage buffers in the middle of the machinery and I could never find rotors when I needed them. MP is a lot of fun though, especially exploration & clearing out hostiles.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DelphiAegis posted:

You're still probably going to need a pump or two based on distance, even if the pipes aren't going "up". Because real fluid dynamics are hard so it just approximates them.

It does, but it's the other way: the game's approximation is really generous in the other direction. Head lift is totally independent of flow rate, and the maximum height value is "contagious" to every pipe it connects to. You can use a single extractor on a high place, or a water tower fed by a single set of pumps, to pressurize an infinite amount of other pipes fed by low-elevation extractors to the same height.

videos on the subject one two

IRL these would be perpetual motion machines.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I found out there's mods for the game and there's a mod called Micro Manager that lets you precisely reposition any placed building/object and holy gently caress this needs to be in the base game.

Oh man you got me to look at that one again and I am absolutely gonna install that. I saw that before and thought it was just for scaling stuff, like for people who wanted a mega-factory that didn't consume 5 square miles. But being able to nudge some things to deal with clipping is just what I need.

I had already grabbed the mod loader for the Light It Up mod, because it's crazy that they haven't added streetlights. But playing MP a lot I haven't had much chance to use it -- my friend is playing on a potato so adding lights isn't great for him.

K8.0 posted:

It takes loving forever to get anywhere, you really need to be optimizing for space unless you like spending the majority of your time waiting to get somewhere. Also another point I would make is that like nearly everything else, the car comes AFTER you need it, not when you need it. Case in point for me right now is the oil bullshit. gently caress you, go build a useless temporary oil facility halfway across the map with literally hours of walking to get the required materials over there. Maybe only one hour if you do it by driving the obnoxiously unfun tractor around and actually guess the path to get there.

Have you used the explorer? That is possible to get well before oil, it's on the quartz tree in the MAM. All you need is steel. (And if you're exploring for hard drives, you can even find the 5 motors and heavy modular frames to build one early.) The explorer is fun on a bun to drive. I do think the game probably need to be more emphatic about the MAM, to get people to fill in those trees before rocketing up the Hub & Elevator trees. The stuff in the MAM is a lot of QOL stuff that makes building bigger easier.

Also, common resources like limestone and iron are common. If I was building a large new factory complex somewhere and needed poo poo-tons of concrete and plates, I'll bring a bunch to start with but also throw down a miner and some temporary constructors. In my nice factory I used the first part of the build to finish the second.

The rest of your post I don't feel qualified to judge, because I'm not a Factorio player. But I think you may be trying to pull too many Factorio concepts into this game and they're just not the same. Distance and scale are one of the challenges here, and waste is a non-factor. You can be wasteful, the game encourages you to be wasteful by giving you a giant trash can as a goal. If stuff isn't produced fast enough, build more. Don't produce just enough to carry back a load for your current milestone. Produce infinite quantities of everything.

OTOH:

quote:

Belting stuff out of the factory is useless, because the problem is the factory itself. To scale up, I need the resources, which are buried inside a giant mess.
the game being in 3D makes organization hard. I'm both an anal retentive organizer and have pretty good spatial memory, so as long as I'm the one that built it I know where my resources are. But if those aren't in your nature I can imagine it being difficult.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LLSix posted:

Increasingly I feel like the HDDs and the MAM are bad. It is a parallel progress path, with, as you said, most of the QOL improvements hidden in it. The only time the game talks about the MAM is right at the start and a lot of the early MAM research you can do is useless. Oh goody it told be these berries that I have been eating are edible. Wheee!
The MAM is there because exploration is a big part of this game, and MAM stuff feeds off of and back into exploration. And the nodes that don't do anything are generally 3 second researches.

LLSix posted:

The HDDs hide important techs behind an uncontrollable gacha. I’ve collected half the HDDs on the map and still haven’t gotten the water based smelting tech I want. It is very frustrating.

This I kinda agree with. There's a hidden way to screw yourself because which recipes show up are influenced by your tech level, so if you for example really want cast screws or stitched plates it is best to research some HDs before you tech up. The lower-tier stuff still shows up later, but you have way more potential recipes to see.

OTOH there are more HDs on the map than there are alternate recipes, so it's not like you won't get them eventually.

K8.0 posted:

Factorio

I get what Factorio does and why someone would like it more than Satisfactory -- my friend who I bought this game specifically to play with also plays a lot of Factorio and I've seen his games of that. Factorio isn't for me because the pure factory game isn't what I'm really into. Satisfactory has exploration, cool landscapes, and room for creative / aesthetic building. They're different games and there's reasons to like or prefer each. Factorio's trains would be cool though.

nielsm posted:

The only reasons to set up train or truck lines over conveyor belts are that building a train track is (potentially) less work than building a stack of multiple km long belts

The reason to do trucks and trains is so you don't end up with a 15 fps slideshow as your computer processes and renders a world completely covered in belt lines.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Der Kyhe posted:

I'm also on the boat with the argument that many of the QoL updates right now are too late in the MAM/SE trees, namely electricity which can be automated, blade runners (which also eliminate deadly fall damage but only from full health), non-sucky gun, easy to manufacture health boosters, crash site scanning and the rover.

To make things even worse for the first-timers, the recommended newbie starting zone is actually the worst. Because to get oil and crystals which unlock most of the QoL stuff, you need to do stupid amount of exploration into the actively hostile and much, much more dangerous territories.

Blade runners need quickwire and standard modular frames to research, and the same plus rotors to craft. They are not deep on the tech tree at all. Same with the rebar gun. The best health inhaler (alien guts + mycelium) also only needs modular frames. These are all basic iron age stuff. HD scanning is very deep, but I don't think that's some terrible thing for new players. HDs have barriers in front of them because alt recipes are not something a new player needs to deal with while they're still onboarding.

I am not sure what game some of you are playing, but oil is not hiding any QoL stuff other than I guess the big truck. Oil is like the anti-QoL, it's where the game takes the gloves off and gives you factories that produce by-products you have to manage besides just the things you want. Oil factories can choke on their own waste, nothing before has to deal with that.

I do agree that the grasslands is a crappy starting zone for a new player. I think the rock desert (#2) is actually the best. It's got wide open spaces to build, plenty of basic resources, isn't super-hostile, and has enough plants to keep biofuel generators running easily. And when you tech into coal you will naturally be directed to either crater lakes or the north bay, both of which have fantastic resources. The big desert is not new-player friendly because you can't dilly-dally around in the iron age, you need to rush coal.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Der Kyhe posted:

Fair enough on your points, although you need to know that Blade Runners do in fact exist and their "non-terminal fall damage" only works with full health. And the best health inhaler takes two ingredients both which are at this stage non-automatiable. Maybe something like coal and biomass to make half-health inhalers?

And I'd say that rebar gun is a poo poo-tier weapon with its 1 bullet clip because the current game has issues with registering actual hits. Although this could be easily alleviated at least to some degree by having an automatic reload if you have ammo in your inventory.

Even our current nail guns have belt feed in them, at least give me crappy range or something instead of working with a musket.

Oh, the non-poo poo gun you want is the rifle gun. The rifle is like, enemies barely even exist anymore.

Basically I feel like once you have the bat and the rebar gun, it's not difficult to handle any hostile situation other than a really nasty spider attack (like a big one and some small ones at the same time). The enemies in this game are not difficult. I dunno, maybe I play a lot more action games, but I beat monsters with side strafing and a bit of patience and rarely need more than a few nuts after a fight. The rebar gun does a ton of damage per hit, just gotta line up your shots. Most enemies have attack patters where they stand still for a bit and obligingly let you snipe them.

I also just have a hard time imagining why anyone would need to automate med inhalers. Do you travel everywhere by yeet cannon with no jelly pads and no parachute?

Der Kyhe posted:

EDIT: and it makes the container vulnerable to spew filler to your lines if you fiddle around something downstream.

Yeah I don't think I would ever take that solution on a buffer container, only ever a dead-end surplus container. One time some compacted coal somehow got mixed in with regular coal feeding my foundries. That was loving horrific because you can't even see the difference to pick the offending junk off the line.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
You can get rid of 4/5ths of the pumps with a water tower (or in this case oil tower).

Klyith posted:

It does, but it's the other way: the game's approximation is really generous in the other direction. Head lift is totally independent of flow rate, and the maximum height value is "contagious" to every pipe it connects to. You can use a single extractor on a high place, or a water tower fed by a single set of pumps, to pressurize an infinite amount of other pipes fed by low-elevation extractors to the same height.

videos on the subject one two

IRL these would be perpetual motion machines.

So what you'd do is take one of those lines and go straight up however many meters to a buffer container, using one set of pumps. Then that line comes straight back down the tower, and you put junctions between it and each of the other 4 lines. Now all 5 lines have the same amount of lift as was produced by all the pumps.

I believe the downside to water towers is that because you have those junctions between pipes, there's some uneven flow / "slosh" between the pipes. I've made some water towers, but haven't really stress-tested them. Possibly the pipelines might have trouble delivering their full 300 m3/m rate due to that. So far I just use them for water delivery to coal plants, where you always have more pipe than your maximum draw so there's plenty of slack.

Also I think there are ways to prevent / reduce slosh with pumps and buffers at the usage side, but I haven't experimented with that yet.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tamba posted:

Pumps act as one-way valves, even when unpowered, so one more set of those should be enough the prevent the liquid from flowing the wrong way-

They also reset head lift on the other side to zero when unpowered, so you can only use them like that when pipes are horizontal or moving downhill afterwards. And when powered they I'm pretty sure they reset to their 20+2m head lift, no matter what the previous pressure was. Haven't tested that, but it would make sense with how pumps don't stack pressure normally.

Pipe slosh happens because if you have a junction with for example 4 pipes connected, and one pipe gets drawn from the other end, all 3 other pipes can feed it. Even if only one is connected to a "supply". Pressure isn't simulated. And pipes aren't airtight, fluid level can be reduced anywhere. Supplies and consumers (ie a water extractor and a coal generator) have internal buffers with one-way valves, so a coal gen will never drain water from backfeed. But the effect can reduce the effective delivery rate of a pipe to less than the 300 m3/m max.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I don't think there's any way to get items onto a conveyor other than the output of a container or machine, you can't drop things onto them.

New idea: make some conveyors in the shape of a cool S, to display all my cool S rocks.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Eiba posted:

I guess it's all about throughput shenanigans? You pump it up once, let it flow back down, and it can pressurize multiple additional pipes up or whatever?
Yeah, that's the only reason to make a water tower.

If you need a single pipe there's no difference between putting your pumps in a tower and stringing them along the pipeline. For long horizontal runs they might even be less efficient. Plus water towers are mildly annoying to build, especially if you want them to look nice.

OTOH if you need multiple pipes, the water tower saves a lot of pump power.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Setting up a full production chain for biomass power is IMHO wasted effort. You can easily unlock coal power with a lightweight starter iron factory that only needs like 6-7 biomass burners to run. Once you have coal you will pretty much never need biomass again*. Trying to automate biofuel -- the one part of the game that has inherent manual labor -- is swimming against the current.

*(Exception: a stack of 200 biologs lasts longer as vehicle fuel than anything but turbofuel, so use that for your personal car.)

Converting leaves and wood into biomass is super quick, do that by hand. Biomass to solid biofuel is slow, so have 1 assembler to do that while you're working on other stuff.

One thing I do early game is have one Miscellaneous Stuff Constructor. That's one constructor and a storage box, with conveyor looping input & output into a circle. "How does that work?" I hear you ask. Well, conveyors attached to storage boxes try to fill from the top-left, and they draw items from the bottom-right. You can use this to have a constructor do jobs that are bigger batches than just hand-feeding input & output, but not yet fully automated with a dedicated production line. Like so:

□□□□□□□□
□□□XBBBB
BBBBBBBB

That's your container with a bunch of biomass stacks you've collected on the bottom, and empty space on the top. The X is one stack of whatever you might want the constructor to make next -- I often use rods as my "stopper" and make a stack of rebar gun ammo between runs of other jobs, if I don't have anything else. So you tell the constructor to make solid biofuel, and it will process all 12 stacks of biomass into biofuel. Pre-loading something useful means you don't have to rebuild the conveyor every time to clear the input. Most of the time it makes biologs, but it's also good for small runs of early quartz and quickwire to unlock the MAM trees early.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DreadCthulhu posted:

drat, preparing the first payload for the space elevator takes forever. I suspect that operating on one single iron extractor by tier 3 is no longer feasible, huh?

Operating on a single iron miner isn't viable as soon as you get the materials to build & power more than one. There's a reason iron deposits come in clumps of 3-4 (unless you're in the dune desert, in which case there are just a zillion spread around all over).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DreadCthulhu posted:

Ah, gently caress my life. I built the hub super close to the mines since it was my first playthrough and now I'll have to uproot a bunch of stuff to make more room for multiple miners. Is that pretty normal in the game?

Yes, especially your first playthrough. It took me many many hours to appreciate the scale & width I should be building at. Until you get more experience it's hard to build a factory that's naturally expandable.

Though you can also move the Hub, it's not locked in place forever, and disassembling it won't remove any progress. Even partially complete objectives. You get an item that can rebuild the Hub.

Also note that you can tap or hold CTRL while in disassemble mode to deconstruct multiple things at once. Tearing down a factory is easy: just build a tower to get a good vantage and wave your mouse around to do 50 things at once.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DreadCthulhu posted:

Ah drat, didn't even think of that. Same with building? Can I just get on a tower and build around it that way?

Yep, though when connecting belts and splitters / mergers you kinda have to be down in the guts of things. But for laying down a line of machines, a temporary tower to get overhead view is very helpful. Especially the bigger stuff like coal generators.

And if you ever start doing aesthetic builds where you need to worry about fitting stuff in a particular floorplan or precise placement it's invaluable.

Fangz posted:

Other starting locations are more compact but you will be looking at a desert for almost your entire game.

At least in the deserts you can actually see what you're doing. The thing I hated about building in the North Forest, the supposed "best" starter location, is that you can't see poo poo for more than half the day. It wasn't the uneven ground or tight building spaces, it's the damned fog.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alkydere posted:

But for now I'm getting my Satisfactory itch scratched in a multiplayer game and...well trains are literally the only vehicle that works in mulitplayer.

What doesn't work with vehicles? My friend and I have had no problems with cars, other than twice when they've clipped through the world. But that was when they were parked, and I'm pretty one of those happened when I was playing solo.

(Both times the cars were kinda under a thing -- a tractor I had parked up against our space elevator in a spot where the elevator base was overhanging it, and my friend's explorer was parked under an elevated rail line. OTOH I've had a truck parked in a little garage building for a long time and it's not fallen under the world, that has much less headroom than the rail line did. So foundations seem to be key to preventing vehicles from falling through the ground.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alkydere posted:

With me and my friends every time someone who isn't host gets into a vehicle horrible desyncs happen. Bad enough that I haven't dared trying out if autopilot stuff works out in multiplayer.

You all using Ultra network setting? Once we switched to Ultra the desyncs and other network badness was pretty well solved.

OTOH I'm only playing with 1 other person. Another friend of ours saw us playing on steam and bought the game, but as soon as he joined the game started crashing every 15-20 minutes whatever the network settings were.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kraftwerk posted:

Are there any good resources I can use for base planning and organization.
I think the hardest part about this game is knowing how to physically place your production lines, having the room to build them and then having to tear things down and re organize in order to scale up.

Once you scale up, pre-planning thing is important if you're trying to fit inside any sort of limited space. That's why people do sky bases or the dune desert, where you can always expand another 10 foundations.

For layouts I use draw.io (apparently rebranded to diagrams.net), they have a desktop version also. Set the grid to a 5mm scale, the bold gridlines represent a foundation. It's easy to make some templates and then copy-paste to lay out large manifolds.

Tenebrais posted:

It's kind of an unfortunate design flaw of the game that this scale problem has a naive solution of "just build a hundred million foundations in the sky", letting you solve your problem with tedium rather than challenge. But on the other hand, it's not hard to avoid doing that either if you don't want to, so I guess it's fine as an alternative strategy for people who want to use their Factorio design principles instead. It does make me worry if area-fill and blueprints might end up trivialising the space challenge, though, by letting you easily put your whole factory in the sky.

Nah it's fine, it's good that the game has many ways to play it. Just as it's good that there are no real objectives besides the satisfaction of building things. People who want their objective to be the BIGGEST factory can build in the sky or grid the world, for them the challenge is the complexity of balancing loads and acquiring resources.

For me, my objective is to build the prettiest factories that integrate with terrain and are necessarily smaller. It doesn't matter to me that my factory produces 1/10th the iron plates as the sky-factory -- it takes me 20 hours do build a thing so production rate isn't really my main concern.

If blueprints come out I won't see them as "ruining my game" because the factories I make are unique. Blueprints for foundation circles would be nice, or a block of smelters or constructors pre-laid in a manifold. Hooking up the IO belts for 16 smelters: that's tedious.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DreadCthulhu posted:

I tried to go through the cave but the farty plants tried to kill me repeatedly, so I had to climb it instead. I'm assuming that now that I have a tractor with a tractor station, I can just drive past that?

Since no-one else got this one: poison gas still hurts you if you're driving a vehicle. OTOH it doesn't damage the vehicle at all, so if you can survive blitzing through the fart clouds while recording an autopilot route, the tractor can ignore it after that.

DreadCthulhu posted:

Re: MAM research, would you say I should prioritize that over trying to complete tiers and doing the space elevator?

Yes, now that you have coal power the MAM has a lot of things that are pretty important to unlock before you start building bigger factories (main one being smart splitters), as well as QOL stuff that makes the game much more enjoyable.

The next tier of the space elevator unlocks stuff that's a major step up in complexity, it isn't that "holy poo poo this is so much better" that coal power gives you. IMO taking your time in the coal and steel age to build bigger infrastructure is better than trying to tier up to oil right away.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I just learned the other day that the Spore Flowers can be blown up. When I got the bombs of course the first thing I tried to do with them was blow up a pillar, it didn't work and I figured that all poison stuff was therefore indestructible. Never tried it on the flowers, then I was reading backwards ITT and someone mentioned it.

The other fun bomb thing I encountered the other day: if you chuck a bomb at a fire-spitter, they can blow it up midair when hit by a fireball.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tenebrais posted:

The interaction with vehicles particularly annoys me because they'll get you through a vehicle even if you're wearing your gas mask. Your body slot isn't modelled while you're riding something.

The body slot not being modeled while driving is fine, but the gas mask not working while in a vehicle is IMO a bug that should be fixed. Character model and code effect should be separate things.

zedprime posted:

Otherwise it's all just no man's land I go around because it's already enough hassle to alternate jet pack and blade runner, I'm not about to juggle gas masks too.

The unreleased tier of new stuff definitely needs a 2nd body slot upgrade. I'm not sold on the game re-implementing the exo-suit mod, but 2 body slots would make dealing with rad suits and gas masks much more pleasant.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tenebrais posted:

I mean modeled in the gameplay sense; I agree it doesn't matter if you can see the stuff on your character.
Evidently something along these lines is actually their problem, according to recaps of dev twitch streams where they've been asked about it and said it's a bug but not easy to fix.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Wait smart splitters are important? I don't really see the need, and haven't even disassembled and replaced my petrochem overflow setup yet.
I mean they're not required if you balance all your IO perfectly. But I can't imagine making a central storage without them, and they're very handy for sinking the excess of any setup so you don't have to balance IO.

edit:

Powershift posted:

There's a "pave the planet" effort, but the usable factory equipment is limited by the resources. There are only so many resource nodes.
Underclock everything to 1%!

Saving & loading would take forever though. I already have to crank down how often I autosave because even the tiny hitch of the mid-game autosave is super annoying to me.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

nielsm posted:

The only thing that isn't infinite is your extraction speed and transport capacity endurance to set up more factories and weak human need for sleep.

fyp

Microcline posted:

The ideal endgame for poison vents would probably be some kind of extractor or filter that reduces the cloud (potentially to the point of elimination) when running, consuming resources but putting out a greater volume of a different resource. You could start with something like "Carbon Filtration" which takes coal and outputs heavy oil residue and have the potential alternative recipe "Liquid Filtration", which uses water.

But how would we spawn more overlords after we harvest the vespene gas?

I kinda like the idea though. Have it be a high-power building so it's less efficient than just grabbing more resource nodes in terms of output. But the upside is convenience and flexibility if you have a few different output possibilities that are sideways to the normal resource chains. Plus eliminating the fart clouds.

Coal -> Heavy Oil Residue
Water -> Sulfuric Acid (plus a recipe for turning sulfuric acid back to sulfur)
Biomass + Water -> Polymer resin

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
In the grasslands I can't imagine needing to build a road, but having a good route ready before you start recording is a thing. But if you've set up a truck station and coal miner, that means you've also laid power lines -- if you think ahead a little bit and put the lines along a easy driving route you have an easy time. And probably you've run back and forth a couple times through that area while exploring (unless you just looked up where to find coal).

And while belt fed is always precise, tractors move a *lot* of product. Like, way more than the belts you have access to at that stage, over quite long distances.

They are a bit fiddly when recording the route, because when you gently caress up it's like, pause, get out, go erase a bunch of markers, maneuver the tractor back to the right position, start recording again. And the radial V menu is loving awful in vehicles. It's fine for the scanner because oops I scanned the wrong resource, wait 10 seconds and try again. In a truck I seriously have recorded a complete route and then accidentally erased it, because radial menus are poo poo.

OTOH I think that the type of player who is 100% on the build side of the build-explore-experiment triangle this game has going on is not gonna enjoy truck logistics as much and just wants to

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Also as an element of game design, "You need two resources that are not in the same place. Figure it out." is 100% appropriate for this game. Coal is the first time you face that challenge -- you've already had to learn that some things want combinations of resources with iron & copper to make rotors. Those *are* found in the same place. Dealing with stuff that's in different places is kinda a big thing for the rest of the game. There's only one spot on the map where you can progress up to the late game on a single location.

The grasslands is an "easy" start because there's no time pressure to figure out coal. You can keep the bioburners going indefinitely while you invent trucks and explore a big area with nice long sight-lines. Most people find time pressure to be much "harder" than a mild step in complexity.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
IMO the wood & leaf to basic biomass is so fast in manual crafting that I'll just do that step by hand, and then have a single assembler converting the biomass to biofuel logs. You can process a dozen stacks of leaves and wood in about 30 seconds. Just plop a craft bench next to your biofuel area.

In my MP game my friend did the full setup where there was a container for wood and a container for leaves with assemblers to process each, and I always had to double-check that I wasn't mixing up the containers. If we'd had a smart splitter that setup would be fine.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DelphiAegis posted:

I just set up 4 containers and 4 constructors. Two containers are stacked so that I remember wood on bottom and leaves up top (like a tree!)

hahaha that's a clever idea, I wish I'd thought of that

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Some of the mods for the game are pretty cool.

Micro manage is completely amazing. Mostly I use it for aesthetic stuff, but also for those occasional really annoying spots in a factory where the grid system is loving you and you need to place something just slightly to the side.

In related events, I learned about the trick for building circular buildings, so I went to the Land of Pancakes and built a (half-) circle factory.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Powershift posted:

I just spend 30 seconds trying to de-select your image like an idiot

I shoulda waited for better screenshot weather conditions, but that's a biome that's frequently foggy. Not quite as bad as the swamp or north forest where it's pea soup 24/7 though.

That's what I like about the deserts, the grassland, and a couple other biomes like dune forest: no dang fog. I started a SP game because the friend I've been playing with was unavailable for a week, and put my main base in the eastern dune forest. Not the best resources in the game but it's pretty, green, and fog-free.

It's a neat trick where you stand on a spool of wire, build out a cross of foundations, then delete the inner ones. Then you rotate the foundation orientation 1 click and repeat. I think this one was the youtube tutorial I saw but there are others.

It's super neat and super useless. Mostly you just waste space in a bunch of corners where you can't build, but it looks dope.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is the radar tower useful for anything?

A much taller lookout tower.

Gadzuko posted:

Yep, that's all it does. Just reveals the map. Kind of a waste of time IMO right now, hopefully marking deposits is added as a feature at some point.

Yeah it very much has the feel of an unfinished addition that they haven't gotten around to making a real purpose for. If they do the randomized resources thing and it marks deposits it'll be very useful.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DreadCthulhu posted:

Could use advice on getting more power generated efficiently before tier 6 and 7. I must have in the order of 20-30 coal plants and maybe 3-4 fuel plants consuming whatever purple goop my plastic refineries dump out. Is there a more efficient way to generate more power? I can keep slugging my coal mines, building more coal plants.. is that about it? Or is there something in my current tier that will give me lots of bang for my buck?

If you're getting into fuel generators you want a more consistent supply than just the byproduct oil from rubber & plastic. If you want power, find more oil and turn it into fuel, then make rubber & plastic off the byproducts from that.

With coal, you can make compacted coal easily in a few places where coal and sulfur are in close proximity. You can feed a shitload of powerplants off just one pure coal + sulfur set. Just gotta plug away at hard drives to find the compact coal recipe.

(Also geothermal is in the caterium research tree, unrestricted by tier though the unlocks prices are high.)

Inzombiac posted:

How common is it to take down most of a production line and restart?

I'm working on Space Elevator phase 2 and all my stuff, aside from copper, is a huge mishmash of bullshit.

I'm up to 4 coal plants now, which is fun. 100% off of bio.

There are two philosophies:
• Take things down and lay out new production lines
• Leave your old poo poo running, move to a new location with better resources, build lines for the new stuff you need to make.

Personally I think wiping the starter factory that makes stuff for elevator unlock #1 in favor of a bigger basic production base makes sense (because it sucks and was under-utilizing the resources anyways). But I'm also in favor of building many smaller factories and linking them with trucks and later trains.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gadzuko posted:

Greater numbers of low quality nodes are just a better choice in general compared to fewer high quality ones. The benefit of pure nodes declines as your tech progresses due to the fact that you can't get the ore from an overclocked pure node out quickly enough on just one conveyor belt. Four impures or two normals have a higher theoretical maximum output than one pure. Only downside is the power usage.

I could see this point if the grasslands had a bunch of impure quartz or caterium. But even the impure nodes in the grasslands are still the iron copper stone basic resources.

If the world doesn't have enough of those to fill your needs without bothering to tap the impures, you might have a sickness.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Nuclear is there to be the power source for the unreleased tier 8 stuff, same as how coal and oil provide power equal to the demands of their own tiers. It's really not "worth" using now other than to build it for it's own sake. (Which is kinda the point of the whole game, so why not?)

But when update 4 comes out and we have to start powering machines that take 750MW each, having nukes ready to go will mean you can dive it right away.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DreadCthulhu posted:

Seems like the devs are on vacation, so the next update might still be a while away?

The major new feature updates are far enough apart that vacation isn't important. Update 2 to 3 took over 8 months (and the earliest experimental version of #3 was still 7 months).

If you haven't been playing early access type games before, the whole "develop a game while keeping it playable the whole time" vastly slows work down. Even for a well-run project. It's a really stupid way to make software TBH, but the players like it and collecting money in advance is always nice.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a component that will let me dictate how splitters and storage parse items?

There's no smart storage boxes -- containers always fill from their in port and drain from the out port.

Inside a factory line a storage box is generally not very useful because nothing needs big multi-stack buffers between input and output. About the only useful buffer is if you want to have a bit more power generators than your fuel technically supports, to prevent tripping your breakers. I'm doing this in one place where I've got a small turbofuel setup (mostly for car fuel), and it means I can draw an extra 500MW for about 10-12 minutes before things start running dry.

And of course you can have storage boxes that just collect extra stuff with no output until they fill up, which is handy to have in a large factory to you always have some basic iron plates or whatever to grab.

Smart Splitters allow you to have a mixed item belt that then gets separated later. They have a selector for each of the 3 outputs, where you can chose a specific item type, any item, or "overflow" -- which sends items that can't fit in the other sides, either because they're different or because the correct line is full. Later there are Programmable Splitters, which aren't really "programmable", they just can have multiple types per side.

(If you don't have smart splitters yet, look around for Caterium.)

Clitch posted:

There are programmable splitters beyond that if you really want to get anal about distributing things.

I like mixed item type boxes in my storage area IMO, because there are tons of things you never need a whole box of and having a storage area that takes 5 minutes to walk through kinda defeats the convenience aspect.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
FYI that while overclocking production buildings wastes power, overclocking power generators is 100% efficient. It may appear to be wasteful because when you set a higher clockspeed you get less power output than the target value. But you consume proportionately less fuel as well. Each unit of fuel always gives the same power.

There are a zillion power slugs in the game, people use like a dozen for OCing miners only because they get :sperg: about waste. So when Clitch for example was saying building new stuff needed too much stuff to carry, one solution is to build less and slug more. It's really not that bad even on production buildings, especially if you do 150% OCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mile'ionaha posted:

Ahhh, so there IS a secret tech tree. I finally got Compacted Coal and Diluted Packaged Fuel after getting BioCoal, although that might just be a coincidence. So I just scummed the last 2 I needed.

It's less a tech tree and more that the random picks choose recipes that with inputs you have already discovered. So if you haven't unlocked coal power, or haven't researched the first level of sulfur, you won't see compacted coal. And since compacted coal is required for turbofuel, those are a mini-tree. The one weird out-of-order thing is the recipes that use the refinery and water, which can show up well before you unlock refineries to use them (because you know water).

The biocoal was just a coincidence. But with many of the alternates that use oil products being pretty weak, it helps to do a lot of hard drive research while you're still in the coal & steel era.