Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Having the jetpack and blade runners simultaneously lets you spend less time in the inventory screen swapping them and maybe build a few fewer concrete platforms and conveyor ramps to grab powerups placed on top of mushrooms and mesas. I'm not sure what the balance issue is in a game where you can just build a towering brutalist edifice anywhere you please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

my strategy for dealing with toxic fart clouds so far has been to just dash in, grab the item, then dash back out, cramming nuts in my mouth the entire time. I've been too lazy to research the gas mask and don't want to yield two inventory slots to mask + filters

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

:golfclap: yeah, pretty much

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, I kinda wish trains were a tier or two earlier than they currently are, most of the way through the current content. The best justification for the current setup I can think of is that the trains and stations look really big and impressive

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

IMO that’s a fine min spec. Devs should try as hard as they can to get poo poo to run on intel onboard video but that’s obviously not possible with this game.

After playing a lot of Kenshi and Kerbal Space Program I’m pretty impressed by how fast and stable Satisfactory is on my setup (nvidia 1060, haswell i5, 8gb ram, Samsung 850 ssd)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Mayveena posted:

Hey folks can anyone steer me to a guide, video or written, on how to set up an organized base? Mine always come out as spaghetti and I’m tired of that. Thanks for any assistance.

I try to avoid looking up the most optimal solutions for this game and factorio, but one thing I've found that lends itself to cleaner design is to start by setting up the assembler(s) for whatever end product I want to produce at a site and work backwards toward the initial inputs

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Impermanent posted:

are there blueprints in this game yet? The only thing holding me back from really engaging with the game is how laborious building in 3d is. I always get coal set up and get exhausted with it.

nope.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I just realized being able to plop down a splitter or merger in the middle of an existing belt (ideally by just dragging a new belt into an existing one) would solve a looooot of the tedium in this game

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

PancakeTransmission posted:

The devs even changed it so you couldn't save scum right before research was completing because they realised how some alternate recipes are so much better than others which meant the optimal playstyle was to keep reloading until you get the good ones (aka Casted Screws) first.

Goddamn that is a hell of an anti-solution. "People are rerolling because they don't like to find turds in their pinyata. Let's make the turds mandatory."

e: more constructively, I'd like to see a mod that removes mechanics like loot crates and cooldowns. Want casted screws? Feed 5000 screws to the MAM

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 31, 2020

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Factorio never goes on sale, per the developers' policy

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

AI train pathing doesn't seem real smart. someone on reddit said the trains just take every left turn, and while I don't think that's quite right, I've seen a lot of trains pull off right before their next station to go on a world tour

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I like to keep my coal mines and water pumps on a separate electricity grid with as many dedicated powerplants as it takes to run them

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I really love the circuit board recipe that lets you make them strictly out of oil products without having to cart any external ingredients in, even if it isn't particularly efficient

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

how do you make millions of blue plastic screw totes well before you can make plastic? :thunk:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I agree that it takes way too long to get coal power. I'd be happier if it were like the second or third thing you could unlock. The game really has way too many forced time sinks when stuff like building a factory or a railroad can take hours even with buildings going up instantly

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is that going to gently caress up my goal generators? because some of my coal generators are sharing coal with another facility that's making other poo poo

probably, unless the powerplants are already near 100% capacity or they're just disposing of overflow from your factory

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

OgNar posted:

Hmm, I think that smelter is Rods for frame production, thats always a slow one.
Maybe i'll split it for another Plate line.

Thanks

unless you're putting out more total iron per second than your current fastest belt can handle, you should merge output from all the smelters then split it again as needed

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Is there a way to get your crate if you fall into the void?

it *should* spawn on the edge of the cliff you fell off of. If it doesn't you can try building a ladder/tower structure down into the damage zone and try to fetch the fucker as quickly as you can while gobbling nuts/berries. When that happened to me I ended up restoring an older save and losing like half an hour of progress and an hour of fuckery trying to retrieve it

e: are some of the pits truly bottomless? I fell off the edge of the desert and there's ground down there

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 22, 2021

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

can you retrieve your dune buggies that fell through the world the same way?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

making screws on-site is the conventional wisdom. There should be an iron node close to just about everything, or if you have the alt recipe, bringing in steel is a lot more efficient than stacks of screws

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

priznat posted:

Does it support PvP when this devolves even further??

You can use the F key to gently caress up someone way worse than you ever could with a rocket launcher in quake :devil:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm not sure if rimworld lines get overloaded or just really love to burst into flames

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I take it I need one freight platform per freight car. No tomfoolery of unloading multiple cars in one platform?

nope, unless you run multiple trains

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

Fun fact: if you rush into a uranium node without even unlocking the hazmat suit yet, and hand-mine it a few times then run away, you will spend the next hour corpse running and thinking you keep dying because the box is near the radiation node, and then when you realize what’s happening, the next hour trying to click fast enough to open the box and dump the ore before you die again.

Ask me how I know.

lmao I did this but thankfully it was right near where I set up my base on the edge of the desert

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Satisfactory Map was has been a godsend this save. For the first time, I had a loot crate spawn below the map geometry after a fall death. Normally it would have been nothing to just let it go, but I was on the way to deliver the last 200 Smart Plating for T3/T4 unlock.

is it possible to use the save file editor to unlock coal power before doing anything?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

whoever said you should be able to just buy alternate recipes you want (with hard drives, or in the MAM, or with garbage disposal tickets, I don't remember which) had a better idea than the devs for that

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Wasn't sure the game would actually let me do it but it turns out you actually can use factory carts to automate long-range item transport. They use no fuel so you can set up the truck stations wherever you want and the truck stations have low idle power relative to drone ports. They're extremely cheap to make, if you need more throughput just make another factory cart and set it on the same saved path as the other one. The only hard part is actually recording the initial path yourself since they're a nightmare to drive on anything but foundations, but once you've done that it seems like it might actually be a functional way to do things instead of just a joke like I was expecting. Finishing up the third elevator delivery at the moment, once I really get into the late game I'm going to have hundreds of these dumb things running all over the place.

I've heard of people doing using the carts for cargo but I never thought about using them to manage the space elevator spaghetti, which generally has to be ripped out or made an order of magnitude worse at every new tech level. That's one place where throughput is low enough to make them viable too

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Lakitu7 posted:

It seems like a weird omission that electric cars aren't more available in this future. Sure, battery tech is later in the tech tree, but power cells are very early. Maybe they could move tractors/depots to stage 1-2, and if you stick a power cell in there, it recharges at depots for free? You can still throw coal/combustibles for bigger range and maybe a speed boost, but then vehicle freight would be available earlier and less fiddly to get automated.

I think that is an artifact of the game trying to implement a "real life" tech tree that largely mirrors the 19th and 20th centuries. You have to burn coal and then oil before you get to battery electric vehicles.

It's weird that you build a space elevator then start burning coal in the middle of an alien ecosystem, but the power plants probably make more gameplay sense than plopping down thousands of solar panels or wind turbines (or just getting free energy beamed down from space)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

:hmmyes: building a goddamn mile of conveyor belt is only marginally more tedious than setting up a truck route and the belt will never randomly get stuck or run out of fuel for no reason

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Mailer posted:

scale up the world

now I want a mod where the terrain, plants and wildlife are all scaled up 2x as large compared to you and your factories

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

has anybody tried setting up pumps on top of that big unfinished desert plateau and piping all over the map from there?

e: oh yeah, you'd need dozens of pipes to service everything :doh:

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 9, 2022

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

priznat posted:

I think the thing I don’t like is it is really not intuitive how much of a load things take or deliver and how that works with the belts, at least compared to satisfactory. No idea how to match up the the sinks to the sources well and there is no real dedicated sinks so overflows just back stuff up for me. I’m probably playing it wrong somehow but there isn’t enough information in game to sort it out, I find.

belts backing up is fine, except for with hydrogen and some oil products, most of which can be burned in generators. it's fine in satisfactory too, you just don't get tickets

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Can you unlock everything playing as a vegan or do you have to go beat some passive critters to death?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

making screws on-site where needed saves you a lot of belts

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Does the unpowered pump trick still work? You build a loop for recycled water then you feed new water into that through an inline pump that isn't connected to power. This used to work but last time I got that deep into the tech tree was before the big revamp.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I *think* what it did was prevent backflow across the pump and keep more new liquid from being added if the loop was already full. I remember having to delete and rebuild it several times before it worked properly so you may be right that it was junction priority or jank doing the trick

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I got up to like oil power on my first playthrough before realizing that putting down foundations let you organize things a lot more cleanly :negative:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

really they should integrate that into the game's ~lore~ somehow

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

oh goddammit I didn't get shapez, they've had so many turds lately that I stopped checking it regularly :argh:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

:hellyeah: building a coal power plant before anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I haven’t had a chance to try the new release. Are they going to have to raise the minimum system requirements?