Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

euphronius posted:

15 billion to build a bridge sounds high

China built this railway and road bridge for Bangeldesh last year,
https://x.com/TNGeography/status/1541057347413352449?s=20

3.6 billion USD.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 13:17 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

3.1 billion USD.

happy that they finally got their road cum railway

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

stephenthinkpad posted:

3.6 billion USD.

The building of that bridge is a trip. 20+ years total, with foundation laying in 2001, funding, canceling under new administration, then recompeting the design/quote idea, then finally starts being built by a Chinese firm in 2014, completed in 2022.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Orange Devil posted:

Please tell me you tell your wife this.

FF wife accidentally brings up the "artillery-chan rule 34" search suggestion on browser.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I don't think a bridge across a river and a bridge in the sea are necessarily comparable just for depth below the water of piles alone.

mlmp08 posted:

You made a very broad claim, said research backed it up, then provided a source that does not support your argument. That source responsibly has a ton of disclaimers about lack of academic rigor and insubstantial studies to draw well-researched conclusions. You chose to exclude that language from your broad claim. The source you listed also calls some of your claims up thread as “antiquated” and “dispelled” reference your views on asexuality and ASD.

Either you are hastily reading/skimming or just selectively quoting to support your broad argument.

Were you exposed to a lot of pedantic arguments during puberty?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Orange Devil posted:

Please tell me you tell your wife this.

1367-1368
"Gratitude belongeth, 'tis sure, to a lad; but a woman-comrade is never true; she loveth him that is present unto her."

etc etc

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Weka posted:

I don't think a bridge across a river and a bridge in the sea are necessarily comparable just for depth below the water of piles alone.

Were you exposed to a lot of pedantic arguments during puberty?

Which is the bridge crossing a sea

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

genericnick posted:

happy that they finally got their road cum railway

stephenthinkpad posted:

FF wife accidentally brings up the "artillery-chan rule 34" search suggestion on browser.

tired: road cum

wired: road cum railway

inspired: road cum railway gun

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

I'm getting railed on the cum road.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

agape, a higher expression of love than eros. You might marry a woman, but you’re not expected to regularly kill or die for them. It’s your therápontes with whom you have a real connection.
It's true that agaping your therápontes does build a deep connection.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
idk why FF got probed. The USAF is overrun with furries.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

watching the new episode of "The Regime" and one of the signs the fictional central european country is "bad" is that they're working with china who is putting the locals out of business

Doktor Avalanche has issued a correction as of 14:48 on Mar 27, 2024

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

There’s been some work done on this since the 70’s at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health and UofT.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

You couldn't say how it relates to unit cohesion and retention?

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: Kyiv Independent

https://kyivindependent.com/uk-general-admits-that-military-couldnt-fight-russia-for-more-than-a-couple-of-months/

UK general admits military 'couldn't fight Russia for more than a couple of months'
by Nate Ostiller
March 27, 2024 12:51 PM
2 min read

U.K. General Rob Magowan admitted in a committee meeting on March 26 that the U.K.'s military "couldn't fight (Russia) for more than a couple of months because we don't have the ammunition and reserves of equipment to do it."

The striking admission was the latest warning from U.K. defense and military officials cautioning that the country is unprepared for armed conflict. Officials from other NATO countries have repeated similar concerns.

The U.K.'s parliament released a bipartisan report in February 2024 that said the armed forces have yet to break the "vicious cycle" of equipment and manpower shortages that continue to hinder its preparation for a high-intensity war.

Magowan's acknowledgment on March 26 went even further as he responded to a direct question from lawmaker Mark Francois about the ability of the U.K. to fight Russia.

"We are not ready for an enduring war, do you accept that?" Francois asked, to which Magowan responded, "Yes, absolutely."

"We could not fight an enduring war against Russia, drop all these euphemisms about peer adversaries," Francois continued.

Magowan conceded that government spending on defense "does not meet, in all areas, the threats that we face."

At the same time, U.K. Defense Secretary Grant Shapps said that a situation in which the U.K. would fight Russia alone is unlikely.

"For people watching, and hearing that the U.K. isn't ready for war exclusively with Russia, it’s important to understand that because we are in NATO and Article 5 (mutual defense clause) exists, (so) we would never be in that situation."

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

fizziester posted:

Source: Kyiv Independent

https://kyivindependent.com/uk-general-admits-that-military-couldnt-fight-russia-for-more-than-a-couple-of-months/

UK general admits military 'couldn't fight Russia for more than a couple of months'
by Nate Ostiller
March 27, 2024 12:51 PM
2 min read

U.K. General Rob Magowan admitted in a committee meeting on March 26 that the U.K.'s military "couldn't fight (Russia) for more than a couple of months because we don't have the ammunition and reserves of equipment to do it."

The striking admission was the latest warning from U.K. defense and military officials cautioning that the country is unprepared for armed conflict. Officials from other NATO countries have repeated similar concerns.

The U.K.'s parliament released a bipartisan report in February 2024 that said the armed forces have yet to break the "vicious cycle" of equipment and manpower shortages that continue to hinder its preparation for a high-intensity war.

Magowan's acknowledgment on March 26 went even further as he responded to a direct question from lawmaker Mark Francois about the ability of the U.K. to fight Russia.

"We are not ready for an enduring war, do you accept that?" Francois asked, to which Magowan responded, "Yes, absolutely."

"We could not fight an enduring war against Russia, drop all these euphemisms about peer adversaries," Francois continued.

Magowan conceded that government spending on defense "does not meet, in all areas, the threats that we face."

At the same time, U.K. Defense Secretary Grant Shapps said that a situation in which the U.K. would fight Russia alone is unlikely.

"For people watching, and hearing that the U.K. isn't ready for war exclusively with Russia, it’s important to understand that because we are in NATO and Article 5 (mutual defense clause) exists, (so) we would never be in that situation."

pfuh, at least NATO has amply reserves of ammunition, right?

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

but clearly gentlemen prefer bonds.

lmao loving new yorker cartoon caption rear end droll witticism

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

500excf type r posted:

Which is the bridge crossing a sea

the fsk bridge over the patapsco is technically like 6 miles from the chesapeake bay, but the water there is like 50-ft deep, brackish, and subject to tidal action. the design criteria for that is going to be similar to a bridge over a sea. though, the padma is extremely deep and in a seismically active area prone to extreme flooding. plus the bridge supports railroads so it has to be very strong. the piles for the padma bridge are the deepest in the world at 127 m! so each one has challenges.
also worth mentioning that the fsk bridge has to accommodate giant cargo ships and naval/coast guard ships, and that it has to get tall enough in the middle for that with only a couple miles. plus it's in a heavily developed area instead of a giant flood plain.
interesting to note though that the padma bridge was designed by gigantic american firm AECOM

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

1367-1368
"Gratitude belongeth, 'tis sure, to a lad; but a woman-comrade is never true; she loveth him that is present unto her."

etc etc

'these hoes ain't loyal'

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
a couple of months is a wildly optimistic estimation for the endurance of the British military in a conventional war

that is almost exactly as long as the last conventional war they fought lasted, which was over 40 years ago, was fought using a much larger and stronger military than they have now, was much lower intensity than a war with Russia would be, and still seriously strained their logistics

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

labor cost is probably the primary difference between the two bridge costs. in bangladesh people make like $100/month as garment workers. assuming that scales that could mean labor costs could be 1/40th of what a construction laborer makes in baltimore (~$20/hr)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Flournival Dixon posted:

I think it's genuinely possible that America just can't rebuild a bridge that big at this point, how would you even do it? There's so little industrial capacity left and it costs so much to pay your way through all the grift and poo poo that's in the way.

I'm sure a bunch of people will make themselves rich(er) off of it but I am not confident that the will in government exists to actually replace the bridge.

the mario cuomo bridge between westchester and rockland counties is 3 miles long and took from 2013-2018 to build for 4 billion dollars.

it replaced a bridge that had not fallen over but presumably that doesnt matter. the key bridge is about half the length.

hmhb fan
Feb 4, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I got probed for pointing this out, but research suggests this, and the furry thing, is the result of autistic children hitting puberty and not being able to differentiate sexual ideation, the source of their sexual urges, from media they enjoy. If they hit puberty and start experiencing hormonal arousal, attraction, while watching anthropomorphized children’s cartoons, they direct the feelings towards the source of their other “good feelings”, because they can’t figure it out. Thus, furries, a fetishistic practice that is nigh universally composed of ASD people. Similarly, if they consume Japanese animation, they similarly confuse their bodies’ arousal caused by puberty, a “good feeling”, with the source of their other “good feelings”, Japanese cartoons, and direct their urges there.

e: The reason these communities are not “just sexual”, as people are quick to jump all over in defence is the same as the cause, ASD. There’s a high prevalence of “asexuals” and so on. Essentially because they weren’t able to interpret sexual urges during puberty, many still can’t now, and their excitement and attraction, while rooted in sexual pathology, is not necessarily erotic. They don’t experience or understand their intense attachment to anthropomorphized animals or Japanese animation as rooted in sexuality, some don’t understand sexuality at all, so they aren’t lying, there are many people intensely involved in these fandoms for whom their participation is not sexual - per se.

edit: deleted, no point

hmhb fan has issued a correction as of 15:51 on Mar 27, 2024

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
*looks around*

Awoooooo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

don’t worry viewers. if there was actually a war with Russia we could count on uh .. Latvia ? to help us

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of dogs

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

euphronius posted:

don’t worry viewers. if there was actually a war with Russia we could count on uh .. Latvia ? to help us

its raining icbms, hallelujah

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

dear god, please make sure canada is also on the losing side of ww3 thank you in advance

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Canada is right next to US, it's impossible for us to be on a winning side.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

dear god, please make sure canada is also on the losing side of ww3 thank you in advance

Yes Canada is in nato

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yes Canada is in nato

thank you for the reminder, and for taking my post very literally, there's certainly nothing else I could be saying or wishing for with it

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Sorry

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Having highly restricted interests and having sensory peculiarities in ASD may possibly set the stage for developing fetishism and other paraphilias in individuals with certain sensory profiles among other factors. Non- sexual restricted, repetitive interests and behaviors in childhood may morph into sexualized, if not frank sexual, restricted, repetitive interests in adolescence. The same tactile or olfactory peculiarities manifested by various stereotypic behaviors seen in childhood may similarly influence the development of sexual behaviors later on. That is, early, inadvertent conditioning to sensory stimuli that is appealing during pre-puberty may lead to a powerful union between specific ASD sensory-seeking and sexual arousal through masturbation. This notion of early conditioning to deviant stimuli is not a new concept [51]; it just has not been isolated as a factor and empirically studied.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

thank you for the reminder, and for taking my post very literally, there's certainly nothing else I could be saying or wishing for with it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

yes, and?

would you like to discuss my rear end??

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

There’s been some work done on this since the 70’s at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health and UofT.

For example Sexual Behavior and Autism Spectrum Disorders: an Update and Discussion by Kellaher,

Having highly restricted interests and having sensory peculiarities in ASD may possibly set the stage for developing fetishism and other paraphilias in individuals with certain sensory profiles among other factors. Non- sexual restricted, repetitive interests and behaviors in childhood may morph into sexualized, if not frank sexual, restricted, repetitive interests in adolescence. The same tactile or olfactory peculiarities manifested by various stereotypic behaviors seen in childhood may similarly influence the development of sexual behaviors later on. That is, early, inadvertent conditioning to sensory stimuli that is appealing during pre-puberty may lead to a powerful union between specific ASD sensory-seeking and sexual arousal through masturbation. This notion of early conditioning to deviant stimuli is not a new concept [51]; it just has not been isolated as a factor and empirically studied.

For example, I evaluated a young man with ASD whose interest in wolves as a child transformed into a preferential canine zoophilia as an adolescent. During puberty, he began masturbating to depictions of females dressed up like wolves, known as “furries”, and shortly thereafter he switched to viewing online hardcore bestiality videos featuring dogs. One day he was arrested for climbing into a stranger’s yard and masturbating while touching a dog. This young man revealed his insatiable interest in wolves as a child and how he was drawn to the appearance of their soft fur. In adolescence, he began noticing the scrotums of large dogs and felt urges to touch them. He admitted that seeing and touching the fur and scrotum of a large wolf-like dog sexually excited him. As commonly observed among ASD individuals, he was particularly interested in sensory parts of ‘the whole’ for his sexual arousal. Eventually, this led to his offending behavior.

toonces, the artillery officer who could post about autism

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

For example Sexual Behavior and Autism Spectrum Disorders: an Update and Discussion by Kellaher,

For example, I evaluated a young man with ASD whose interest in wolves as a child transformed into a preferential canine zoophilia as an adolescent. During puberty, he began masturbating to depictions of females dressed up like wolves, known as “furries”, and shortly thereafter he switched to viewing online hardcore bestiality videos featuring dogs. One day he was arrested for climbing into a stranger’s yard and masturbating while touching a dog. This young man revealed his insatiable interest in wolves as a child and how he was drawn to the appearance of their soft fur. In adolescence, he began noticing the scrotums of large dogs and felt urges to touch them. He admitted that seeing and touching the fur and scrotum of a large wolf-like dog sexually excited him. As commonly observed among ASD individuals, he was particularly interested in sensory parts of ‘the whole’ for his sexual arousal. Eventually, this led to his offending behavior.

This is why the US will lose WW3.

Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war (wolves).

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

a couple of months is a wildly optimistic estimation for the endurance of the British military in a conventional war

that is almost exactly as long as the last conventional war they fought lasted, which was over 40 years ago, was fought using a much larger and stronger military than they have now, was much lower intensity than a war with Russia would be, and still seriously strained their logistics

If they're saying months, I assume 6 days tops

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

fizziester posted:

lmao, "we are not a peer adversary of russia"

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

2 years into a war and the best war understanders still think in GDP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

---
If Japan wants to send their ships over to "protect" taiwan, a former Japanese colony they forcedly took away from Qin Dynasty started China's "century of humiliation", there will be old debt and new debt to payback with Japan. It's much safer for China to sink a Japanese carrier than a US carrier.

Century of Humiliation began with the opium wars and the 'unequal' treaties in the 1840s, not the Sino-Japanese war of 1895.