Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The US armed forces are a reflection of American society insofar that the closer you get to the top, the larger the proportion of incompetents and careerists who have kept failing upwards grows. Hence the first and usually last instinct of a general is to cover their own rear end and gently caress everything else.

Though I am a bit doubtful of Russia's capability to wage any kind of protracted war effectively on account of them being a petrostate who would be invading their own customers in the proposed scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I don't think any kind of imperial contest in the 21st century is going to be "protracted." All the forces that will fight in a theater are already committed. The US Fleet Response Plan is for a CSG to be deployed within 30 days, but the war will already be decided within a month. A protracted war would require total mobilization, and there's no way the stakes will get that high without also going nuclear. In that case, whoever is closer to home has the advantage, even for a country as dysfunctional as Russia.

Sure, but they'd still be starting a war against the countries whose money they need to keep the lights running. And I doubt that trade relations would just normalize the moment that they stop the shooting.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fuligin posted:

pln tryna storm taiwan would be such a shitshow can you even imagine

They won't have to. If they get naval superiority they could just blockade Taiwan into submission.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

the problem is that you are gonna end up firing on EU/USA/Japan/Indian w/e flagged ships at some point

you really dont' want that

No neutral country will try to run a blockade in this day and age, you dingus.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

sure, w/e you say military expert cerebral bore

I see you've fallen back on the old trick of not even trying to defend your position, and you don't need to be an expert on strategy to tell how that usually ends.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

Yes comrade Cerebral "Zhukov" Bore, in the event where there are pictures of starving taiwanese on the internet, no organization, government or private, nor individuals, would ever send a ship flagged under _____ to push or test the Chinese blockade

Making arguments presupposed on the idea that the west actually gives a poo poo about people starving somewhere very far away and furthermore would piss off the country making all their consumer goods because of that just smacks of desperation, fyi.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

LOL even loving turkey sent a ship to try to break israeli blockade of palestine

And look how well that went. Just ship after ship steaming into Gaza harbour nowadays, right?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

cerebral bore is the best because when he's stupid, he's at least aggressively stupid enough to be entertaining

I see you've chosen to project instead of telling us more about the bold mariners who'd gladly sail into the jaws of death to defy the wicked yellow peril. Kinda low energy, tbh.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
skeleton empire gonna rise from the ashes and it owns

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

what book is this from, because it sounds hilarious

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

Twilight Struggle is sufficiently abstract that I don't really know if it's indicative of different historical or cultural attitudes per se. I'm not great at Chinese style but it's broadly focused on opportunistically grabbing victory points in favor of long term board position.

huh, that actually makes sense since it forces your opponent to react or lose on victory points

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
yea while grift exists everywhere, the main difference is that in most countries grifting too much gets you punished but in the us grifting too hard means that the government will reward you with even more money to fix the problem you yourself created

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

dont subs need to go under the ice caps? probably cold there

probably not that cold, actually. seawater reaches its maximum density at about 0°C, so in polar waters the water is actually at its coldest at the surface and the deeper you go the closer it gets to zero

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
rocket artillery has a much longer range since the ammunition is still propelled after it leaves the tube

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
maybe so you can see how much ammo you have left at a glance?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
as i recall a pretty common tank tactic on the defense is to just drive in reverse and then stop to fire at regular intervals. apparently works extremely well, especially if your guns outrange those of the opponent

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
neoliberalism cannibalizing its own gendarmerie, you love to see it

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

has the US lost WW3 yet?

victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win

- some oldass chinese guy probably

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

Glad I wasn’t the only one.

WRT to Stryker MGS: is there any particular reason why just mounting a recoilless rifle or low pressure gun was so difficult? They couldn’t have just replaced the TOW on one version of the TOW carrier with a RR and called it a day? It’s still deliver 105mm HEAT and HE which was all the MGS had to do.

Instead it had an autoloader, the gun from the M60 mounted sideways etc etc.

to hazard a guess it's because making things simple cuts down on the opportunities for grift

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
back in the day i was a dipshit conscript in our local army, and even during that short stint i quickly realized that the main innovative force in any military is in the field of incompetence

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i think the us produces something like 1-2% of merchant ships by tonnage per annum. meanwhile china stands for like 40%, making them far and away the largest builder of merchant vessels in the world

also fun fact, number 2 and 3 in the world are south korea and japan, which i suppose could be counted in the us column being de facto vassal states, but if the poo poo hits the fan then those shipyards will be ash before you can say dongfeng

so im p sure that in the hypothetical us-china war it won't be the west that rules the waves for very long

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
japan surrendered because, as they themselves acknowledged, the sole remaining hope to avoid unconditional surrender was for them to get stalin onboard to broker some deal with the us, and the soviets rolling into manchuria and mulching the kwantung army kinda foreclosed that option

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fish of hemp posted:

Well who is going to win WW3? Russia ain't doing so hot in Ukraine and China's army produces really cool propaganda films but their fighting ability is still unproven.

the only fighting ability that the us has proven lately is fighting a couple of colonial policing actions, mainly by blowing up defenseless people from the sky

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

Btw, once you readjust for the dollar, it isn’t nearly as impressive.

and once you look at what's actually being produced and its utility in a war it's even less impressive

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

It is mostly oil and food/beverage products with some electronics/car manufacturing.

the 1st coca cola brigade supported by mobile tobacco launchers will throw back the pla, no prob

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fish of hemp posted:

I mean, I'm as :d2a: as they come, but I didn't say anything about USA, I asked who is going to win WW3.

really giving the game away here, pal

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

tazjin posted:

There were reports a few months ago of PLA soldiers secretly embedding with Russian Allied forces to witness some real-life street fighting in Ukraine; never heard anything more about that, wonder if it was true.

military attachés have been a thing for literally centuries, so i wouldn't be surprised if there are pla personnel in the ukraine

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
china will send out their swarm of remote controlled minitanks to destroy all opposition

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Weka posted:

How many genocides did the British do in India? Half a dozen or a dozen at a wild guess? Chicken feed in comparison.

going by the more conservative estimates the brits let at least 50 million people starve to death in india, and if you go by the high-end estimates and include everything else they did we're talking closer to 100 million

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

im sure that another plane that only works against countries with no real air defences is exactly what the aussies need right now

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

can iran make new ones? i think the Shahs old stockpiles are probably expired by now

iirc they reverse-engineered a domestic version that was put into mass production some time ago

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
im willing to make a real crazy and radical claim here: at the very least the united states of america is not the legitimate government of syria and thus should gently caress right off

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
weirdly enough reference charts used in a professional setting sometimes assume that you have training in the relevant field and understand the jargon

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Justin Tyme posted:

I was part of a detail testing sense through the wall technology ten years ago, its a gimmick. It uses doppler pulses to find moving objects and is defeated by metal, so like a big appliance or ducting will make it not work. Even then, the only info you get is "there is something moving beyond this wall", which could be a curtain blowing in the wind, a dog, or a toddler rolling around on the floor with the mom laying on the couch. Afaik the project never went anywhere since, if anything, it was actually detrimental due to such high false positives. Imagine telling an 18 year old private "yo dude there is something in this room!!!!!" and have him kick the door in immediately doming an old lady because the dang radar said there were dudes definitely moving around in there

otoh that sounds exactly like something the us army would use

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
on the other hand the brits having less manpower to terrorize the rest of the world with is p unambiguously a good thing

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Oldest Man posted:

What derails this moron rear end idea, takin all bets

turret made by reindeer fuckers

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
having independent forward observers/harassment teams seems like an ok idea, but i dunno if you need an entire service branch dedicated to it

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
well, if there's something around the corner that you want to hit and it's too far away to throw a grenade then having a grenade launcher that you can aim seems like it could be useful

not sure if it's so useful as to justify the price tag, but i guess china has money to spare

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
my pro investment tip is to stock up on bondage gear and dune buggies so you can outfit your post-apocalyptic warband properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
fully automated luxury gay sky communism with chinese characteristics